Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Decrepus posted:

I wonder what his subs were like in the past. Is there any way to see that? I know it was in the 200s yesterday.

E: "I was diagnosed with colon cancer. This playlist covers my experience with cancer."

:smith:

This was before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

runsamok posted:

Let's not fall into the shitizen trap of conflating accounts with backers.

What's the difference?

runsamok posted:

The citizen number reflects everyone who's signed up for an account, from wesha-grade spacewhales to li'l old protogamers who literally don't have time to put up with the pile of bullshit which is Star Citizen.

I'm under the impression that you have to be a backer to sign up for a forum account, is that not true? Are you a backer?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daztek posted:

Does it have procedural birds? Asking for a friend

I don't think it does. There are procedural bugs? though.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

Does it have procedural birds? Asking for a friend

No. it does have power optimization and more conveyor belts than can be conceived of. It also is playable and exists.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Xaerael posted:

Drumroll please, I give you...

BALLS BURN

The lights are blinding now
I scream without a sound
Had a wank, thought nobody knew
tried to run, now I bid you adieu
They found my stash of smut
my John Thomas they're about to cut
First it's the flay, please don't take it away
I'm not a bad guy

Balls Burn
kicking me in the crotch
Balls Burn
The executions I must watch
and you'll see
that the stump between my legs is from where I pee

Now we're always far apart
He was my little counterpart
went to close to the edge, broke my Stimpire pledge
I'm not a bad guy

Balls Burn
kicking me in the crotch
Balls Burn
and you'll see

Balls Burn(background)
Stimperor took it all
Balls Burn(background)
Root stem and ball
Balls Burn(background)
going into the black and there's no turning back

Balls Burn
kicking me in the crotch
Balls Burn
and you'll see

Balls Burn
kicking me in the crotch
Balls Burn
and you'll see

Balls Burn
Balls Burn
Balls Burn
Balls Burn

I'm disappointed that the phrase, "I can't beat my civil meat" was absent from your lyrics. A missed opportunity.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

FuzzyModem: please come back and correct the Internet misunderstanding concerning Sandi dropping three dozen Krispy Kreme donuts right in front of dieting Ben and wife.

"Something something you guys don't understand! She's so kind and generous, thoughtful and nurturing. I'm sure she thought that Ben and his wife looked sickly and malnourished from their dieting and was genuinely concerned about their nutrition, so she drove 17 miles out of her way to pick up the donuts. And she is one of the best Krispy Kreme delivery persons in the world, and has been since she was a little girl."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D1E posted:

FuzzyModem: please come back and correct the Internet misunderstanding concerning Sandi dropping three dozen Krispy Kreme donuts right in front of dieting Ben and wife.

"Something something you guys don't understand! She's so kind and generous, thoughtful and nurturing. I'm sure she thought that Ben and his wife looked sickly and malnourished from their dieting and was genuinely concerned about their nutrition, so she drove 17 miles out of her way to pick up the donuts. And she is one of the best Krispy Kreme delivery persons in the world, and has been since she was a little girl."

You obviously don't understand human empathy development. What's important to FuzzyModem is that Sandi was nice to him.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

MeLKoR posted:

A Flash Gordon MMO would be a den of furries and you know it.

A griefer's paradise

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i finally got round to playing Farming Simulator 2015 today and the equipment animations remind me of the fidelity star citizen is going for.
except they actually look cool and serve a purpose unlike the crap in SC.
Like when I watch the fertiliser sprayer unfold I think, it's cool that a thing like this exists in real life. I also appreciate that I can drive my tractor or whatever while it's unfolding.
just some thoughts

oh and I also realised I really hate all space flight sims, it's a lovely genre and the reason it died for a decade is because outside the Xwing series they were all terrible, even the ones people think are good.

peace

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

new wolf of wall street qualludes driving mod looking good

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav posted:

What's the difference?

I'm under the impression that you have to be a backer to sign up for a forum account, is that not true? Are you a backer?

You don't need to pay for an account, you just can't post, except maybe in the newbies thread or something

Got a couple myself and so does everyone else

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Hav posted:

What's the difference?

Anyone who signs up & plays during a free-fly weekend is counted in the citizen counter even if they realize the game is crap & never touch it again. Backers constitute those who've actually spent money. People with accounts but without backer status have limited access to the forums.

And yeah, I am/was a backer.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Xaerael posted:

BALLS BURN

The lights are blinding now
I scream without a sound
Had a wank, thought nobody knew
tried to run, now I bid you adieu
They found my stash of smut
my John Thomas they're about to cut
First it's the flay, please don't take it away
I'm not a bad guy

Balls Burn
kicking me in the crotch
Balls Burn
and you'll see

Now we're always far apart
He was my little counterpart
went to close to the edge, broke my Stimpire pledge
I'm not a bad guy

Balls Burn
kicking me in the crotch
Balls Burn
and you'll see

Balls Burn(background)
Stimperor took it all
Balls Burn(background)
Root stem and ball
Balls Burn(background)
going into the black and there's no turning back

Balls Burn
kicking me in the crotch
Balls Burn
and you'll see

Balls Burn
kicking me in the crotch
Balls Burn
and you'll see

Balls Burn
Balls Burn
Balls Burn
Balls Burn

:perfect:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

This game just keeps setting standards. Really, really bad standards, mind you, but STANDARDS.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Xaerael posted:

BALLS BURN

Pro-tip for you guys that may eventually get the snip job on a Friday afternoon after you procreated all you wanted to...Make sure when they numb you up you are really numb down there.

That was the first time in my life I actually experienced Stimpire level of pain.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Scruffpuff posted:

You obviously don't understand human empathy development. What's important to FuzzyModem is that Sandi was nice to him.

Wouldn't you be nice to someone who was creating a jpeg you could sell for millions of actual dollars to spergs while all you pay them is jpegs? I mean sure, these were only the finest limited stock jpegs but still.

Paying someone in actual peanuts would cost the company more.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Colostomy Bag posted:

Pro-tip for you guys that may eventually get the snip job on a Friday afternoon after you procreated all you wanted to...Make sure when they numb you up you are really numb down there.

That was the first time in my life I actually experienced Stimpire level of pain.

Nah when I'm done I'll just place my balls between door hinges and shut the door :stimpire:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

They've deleted your posts and closed the thread. I archived it last night if anyone wants to see how the thread used to be.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/316249/what-ship-is-better-the-315p-or-the-avenger

https://web.archive.org/web/20160225061145/https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6402924/

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

runsamok posted:

Anyone who signs up & plays during a free-fly weekend is counted in the citizen counter even if they realize the game is crap & never touch it again. Backers constitute those who've actually spent money. People with accounts but without backer status have limited access to the forums.

And yeah, I am/was a backer.

I do apologize, I thought it was a 1:1 relationship. Yeah, I wondered about the free weekends, thats definite conflation. I think at one point the 80K number was bandied around, which was low.

I actually did take a quick glance at my account, and that's a laughable amount of poo poo they've tried to add. October 2012 and counting.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Reddit users are shocked to find that I guy who posted critical things about CIG on the official forums also posted critical things about CIG elsewhere on the internet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/47fl39/cig_will_go_through_your_pms_if_you_criticise_them/d0dc280?context=3

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Enchanted Hat posted:

A griefer's paradise

That gives me an idea for "B'Tak's Theme"

As I "wait" 12 seconds to get out of my bed
"Don't" need to put on my helm, cause I slept with it on my head
And I been waiting in airlocks so long that
Just like the "other" spergs I think nothing's "wrong"

But I ain't never shot a "man" that wasn't flagged for it
Non-consensual PvP? You "know" that's unheard of
Chris better make sure "I'm" stayin', safe while I'm playin'
Or me and my sperg ship will be loggin' off

I really "hate" to die so I gotta hope
CIG prevents my grief, cause I cannot cope, "fool"
I'm the kinda B "that" little autists wanna be like
Hiding out from "attacks" unless I get the first strike

Been "spending" most my life
Hiding in a griefer's paradise
Been "blown" up once or twice
Playing in a griefer's paradise
It's hard to "smuggle" spice
Living in a griefer's paradise
Why "can't" we all play nice
While "we're" in a griefer's "paradise"

...at least that's how I see it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

G0RF posted:

:five:-worthy :words:

Gus Mc, the Dark Knight of Star Citizen, strikes another victory for the Crobbler.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Hav posted:

I do apologize, I thought it was a 1:1 relationship. Yeah, I wondered about the free weekends, thats definite conflation. I think at one point the 80K number was bandied around, which was low.

I actually did take a quick glance at my account, and that's a laughable amount of poo poo they've tried to add. October 2012 and counting.

It's a perfectly reasonable assumption to make, hence why CIG keeps the number visible.

There's 934K ships sold & I figure the "average" backer has 2+ ships, so less than half a million backers. No way to correlate the citizens to fleet size without inside information CIG would never willingly disclose though, so it's just my personal guess.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chalks posted:

Reddit users are shocked to find that I guy who posted critical things about CIG on the official forums also posted critical things about CIG elsewhere on the internet:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/47fl39/cig_will_go_through_your_pms_if_you_criticise_them/d0dc280?context=3

Looks like he's got you bang to rights :smug:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like how there are some weirdos in that thread that saw Chalks and immediately went to SA to find him

then they posted screenshots and are like...GOT YOU...GOON :smug:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

This latest patch really helps to understand the answer to the question nobody thought to ask when this project began: "What is Star Citizen?"

We've all read the stretch goals, and we all had ideas in our minds of what this project could have been back during the Kickstarter. Many here, including myself, backed it. Some were so taken in by the possibilities offered that they continued to back it even once the problems started to surface. Very few people wanted to consider that the game would outright fail; I assert that the latest PTU patch instead indicates the direction I personally feared the project would take: the path to mediocrity.

Players had dreams of being pirates, merchants, miners, mercenaries - anything they could dream up. Early iterations of CIG's promises, "10 For the Chairman" notwithstanding, reinforced these ideas. I think many people saw this game as an evolutionary step beyond a hybrid of Eve and Elite Dangerous - the freedom and depth of the former, with the polish and attention to detail of the latter, with the added bonus of full immersion by allowing the universe to be experienced from a seamless first-person perspective.

Over the years, the most common cited cause being gross mismanagement from Chris Roberts himself, the development took on a laser-like focus on the "seamless first-person perspective" aspect of the game. A poor engine choice, combined with the absolute refusal to compromise on that vision, began to cripple the entire project. Instead of how, or even if, such a scheme could be made to work on such a grand scale, instead faith was placed in the idea that with enough money, studios, and developer talent, it just had to be possible. It was simply a matter of assigning resources.

The result of that mindset became evident when the first iteration of the PTU was released. A horribly broken mess that barely qualifies as a tech demo, much less a game. As the money ran down, Chris turned 100% of his attention to SQ42 (the project he actually wanted to release, which he funded through the promises made for a project he does not care about, or know how to play), leaving the rest of his teams to keep backers happy with continued attempts to get the PTU in working order.

Whether or not those teams are able to technologically achieve that goal is not relevant. What is relevant is that with this latest patch, they have taken the first step on what will become an irreversible path: they are no longer creating the game they planned. Instead, they are designing the game in response to the behavior and experiences of the players currently in the Alpha. Ignoring the rhetoric of whether or not the PTU qualifies as a "true alpha", this is not how you design game systems. Player behavior in a game environment is completely irrelevant if no game systems are yet in place - player behavior is only valuable as a metric once you study that behavior within a completed set of interwoven gaming systems.

The result is as hilarious as it is disappointing. New rules that give players "criminal ranks" for ramming ships on the landing pads. "Time outs" in your room for being killed as a criminal. These are systems that took development time to design, code, implement, test, and release. You will not find these gaming systems in the original pitch, the expanded pitch, or even in the stretch goals. Yet it is here nonetheless - the first actual game elements are now in place - and they were instituted not as an action by CIG, but as a reaction.

Star Citizen, as a game, is finally beginning to take shape. It is not being shaped by the vision of Chris Roberts, nor by design documents. It is not being shaped by the hopes and dreams of backers, nor the promises in 10 For the Chairman. It is instead being shaped by the reactions to chaotic player behavior in a closed pre-alpha environment - systems in place to curb behavior seen as undesirable, yet in no way moving toward any of the promises of what this game could have been. We can expect more such systems to be introduced over the coming months, each one intended to either fix or balance the previous patch, or introduce a new system in order to address some new concern about player behavior.

So now we have an answer to What is Star Citizen? Star Citizen is a game where every action you take is going to be limited by artificial constraints; all put in place to restrict player behavior to what people imagine that behavior should be. The "game" will be to learn the systems, and the constraints, and either work within them, or find a way around them. In other words, Star Citizen is the ultimate metagame. And that's the opposite of immersion.

BTW I don't think this should get lost behind the weird Ben stuff, PM reading and creepy youtube comments towards a guy with cancer.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

peter gabriel posted:

Looks like he's got you bang to rights :smug:

Pack it up guys, this man clearly has a history of criticising the game and therefore must be fundamentally incapable of seeing the truth of the vision.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Eonwe posted:

I like how there are some weirdos in that thread that saw Chalks and immediately went to SA to find him

I am calling it now, you are Eonwe from the forums Something Awful - got you :smug:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Eonwe posted:

My first loving post on that subreddit is talking about how I'm a goon and it's win win for us if the game is good or bad. My first reply to the discussion is to say that I'm a goon in response to someone who said I probably was one.

Really been caught red handed on this one. How could I have possibly been rumbled!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

I am calling it now, you are Eonwe from the forums Something Awful - got you :smug:

woah!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Full burn

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I bet you don't even have a milkshake on your belly. You liar.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chalks posted:

My first loving post on that subreddit is talking about how I'm a goon and it's win win for us if the game is good or bad. My first reply to the discussion is to say that I'm a goon in response to someone who said I probably was one.

Really been caught red handed on this one. How could I have possibly been rumbled!

To a seasoned internet wanker you left a trail of breadcrumbs a mile wide, it was only a matter of time before they blew the case a mile wide open using their mile wide butts and internet savvy that is also a mile wide

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mr.Tophat posted:

Googlebutt, do you like Mr Smart

Or fun?

Ben fat LOL

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Scruffpuff posted:

gonna wash my eyes with soap

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
It's like a few of them were all "OK P GABZ you totally left your chat window open in game P GABZ!!!!"
And I was like :confused: Yeah?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

To a seasoned internet wanker you left a trail of breadcrumbs a mile wide, it was only a matter of time before they blew the case a mile wide open using their mile wide butts and internet savvy that is also a mile wide

How deep is it?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am routinely impressed by how un-self aware the Citizens can be.

They crow loudly bout how toxic EVE is, how Goons are evil etc. while ignoring that their community has gone out of its way to, among other things, harass an old dude with cancer because he didn't play their game properly, annoy a Forbes writer enough to be called out in an article for their lovely behavior, harass several women within the SC community for being, you guessed it, women, etc.

Like that's some impressive poo poo.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

It's like a few of them were all "OK P GABZ you totally left your chat window open in game P GABZ!!!!"
And I was like :confused: Yeah?

I was far more concerned with goons finding out I was a backer than the backers finding out I was a goon.

But then I remembered so long as I was open & honest about being an idiot at some point in the past, one of those groups wouldn't vilify me in perpetuity.

So that's why I post here more than there now. Plus, cattes.

And early access to hilarious :pgabz: videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

Well done, commando.

Now all we need is to get D to the Shizzle to rap that and upload it to youtube. I know he said he cannot sing but this is rapping and he has them negro genes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread