Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

kensei posted:

I have a Droid Turbo and am thinking about the S7, I really want the fingerprint unlock and the Samsung Pay. Someone talk me out of pre-ordering one of these.

You're going to wait loving forever for updates and there will be some weird performance issue that's not very perceptible until 6 months in and someone points it out and then it's holy gently caress, why are you so incompetent at programming software?

Also fingerprint unlock and Android Pay will become common place in 2016 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ragingsheep posted:

You're going to wait loving forever for updates and there will be some weird performance issue that's not very perceptible until 6 months in and someone points it out and then it's holy gently caress, why are you so incompetent at programming software?

Also fingerprint unlock and Android Pay will become common place in 2016 anyway.

Android pay still doesn't support my credit card and apple and samsung pay does.

Until and unless Google even has my card issuer on a roadmap it might as well not exist for me.

It was even worse a month ago or so when the fact that my credit card wasn't in the new Android pay regime actively prevented me from using my loyalty cards.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I do have to give credit where credit is due. Not needing to use NFC for mobile payments would make them about 5000% more useful.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

I do have to give credit where credit is due. Not needing to use NFC for mobile payments would make them about 5000% more useful.

Its funny as hell because there's still holdouts here pining for currentc, and that doesnt faze Samsung pay.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Good rapid charter wall wart? gents?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

broken clock opsec posted:

Its funny as hell because there's still holdouts here pining for currentc, and that doesnt faze Samsung pay.

My issue is 90% of my in stores purchases are either at Target (doesn't support NFC) or my local grocery store chain which doesn't even accept chip cards yet. I can TOTALLY use my phone if I ever buy something at best buy that I didn't do in store pickup with though. So, that's like maybe twice a year!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Smythe posted:

Good rapid charter wall wart? gents?

For Quick Charge 2.0/3.0? Anything implementing that has to be approved by Qualcomm so it's hard to buy a bad one.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

repiv posted:

For Quick Charge 2.0/3.0? Anything implementing that has to be approved by Qualcomm so it's hard to buy a bad one.

idk whichever one my bad to the bone + rear end nexus 6p supprts

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I have a stupid question. I just got a Moto G third gen last Friday so how do I disable the feature that awakens the screen for a moment if I move my phone while the screen is off?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

broken clock opsec posted:

Android pay still doesn't support my credit card and apple and samsung pay does.

Until and unless Google even has my card issuer on a roadmap it might as well not exist for me.
This isn't a Google problem, it's a choice made by the issuer of the card. You should fire them (I assume it's Chase because they are in bed with Apple) and get a good credit card, something I did myself when I got Android Pay set up.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Syrinxx posted:

This isn't a Google problem, it's a choice made by the issuer of the card. You should fire them (I assume it's Chase because they are in bed with Apple) and get a good credit card, something I did myself when I got Android Pay set up.

He says it's supported by both Samsung and Apple, it sounds like a Google problem to me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Wait, how do they do it then?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hooah posted:

Wait, how do they do it then?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00043865/997410383/

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
For those that have Amazon credit cards and Android Pay - do you still earn points (2x at gas stations, etc) when paying with Android Pay?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

For those that have Amazon credit cards and Android Pay - do you still earn points (2x at gas stations, etc) when paying with Android Pay?

Android Pay should work no differently than swiping a card. It's Google Wallet that doesn't offer those because the credit issuer sees is a bunch of charges to Google Wallet.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Ah, I wasn't aware the readers could read any further than like an eighth of an inch. Isn't this potentially less secure than NFC? Ideally you'd want to do some sort of contact-less chip though, right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's still tokenized, so it's technically more secure than using the magnetic stripe on the card and isn't any less secure than NFC.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

BoyBlunder posted:

Amazon's cards are by Chase who aren't supporting Android Pay right now. But for cards that are yes you get points and rewards and stuff based on purchase types.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Endless Mike posted:

Android Pay should work no differently than swiping a card. It's Google Wallet that doesn't offer those because the credit issuer sees is a bunch of charges to Google Wallet.

Doesn't your credit card company have to support Android Pay? It's been awhile since I looked in to it, but I seem to recall one of my cards still having to do it the old way.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Lblitzer posted:

Honestly I am tired of even rooting now but getting the Concept rom is just downloading an official Windows application from Sony and clicking "Install Software". It is super painless and really worth it imo. There is another goon running the Concept rom and will stand behind it.

Honestly it is easier to do all that than it would be to upgrade to a new phone but even then you're worry about backing it up as many times as installing that rom.

Said Goon chiming in here.

Get the Concept ROM.

Piece of piss to install and the performance and battery improvements alone are worth the 20 minutes to install. It's also updated regularly (already has the February security updates). Just do it.

As an aside, any UK goons considering the Galaxy S7 should check out a Vodafone deal:
10GB mobile data
Unlimited minutes and texts
£29 upfront and £44 per month

The upfront cost for that tariff is normally £189.99.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Feb 25, 2016

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

spasticColon posted:

I have a stupid question. I just got a Moto G third gen last Friday so how do I disable the feature that awakens the screen for a moment if I move my phone while the screen is off?

The setting is found in the Moto app. Don't know what it's called exactly.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

spasticColon posted:

Moto app, hit the 3 stars in the corner, turn display off.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

kensei posted:

I have a Droid Turbo and am thinking about the S7, I really want the fingerprint unlock and the Samsung Pay. Someone talk me out of pre-ordering one of these.
I would, but I already pre-ordered the S7 Edge yesterday.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Do any phones other than Motorola's have the air motion to start camera and air motion to start flashlight functionality?

Seriously, the triple chop motion to turn on flashlight is the single most useful function my Droid Turbo has.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lowen SoDium posted:

Seriously, the triple chop motion to turn on flashlight is the single most useful function my Droid Turbo has.

Pretty much the reason I went back to my Moto G, I mean, why don't more phones have little quality of life stuff like that? Those are the features that actually matter, not "the screen is .1" bigger and also it has more pixels in it".

I really wish they brought the Moto X Play to the US, it seems like my perfect phone. It's basically a bigger Moto G with a monster fuckin' battery. My only hope is if a Canadian one shows up on Swappa (has bands 2, 4, 12) but at this rate the Moto G 2016 will probably come out before then. I guess another option would be a Moto X Pure but one of my favorite things about the G is how amazing the battery is and I've heard that the X is actually a bit worse in that department despite having like 550ish more mAh. Can anybody who has one vouch for or against the battery life?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly and truly? I don't think about battery life at all with my MXP despite coming from a turbo with a much larger battery. Reason? I'm always only 10-15 minutes away from adding over half a day of life back into it.

QC 2.0 is magical and has completely changed the way I've looked at power utilization on my phone to the point where I don't think I'll consider a phone without it (and no, standard rapid charging via USB C isn't nearly as quick when the battery level is really low.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I just got my Feb 1 security patch for my MXP. No soak tests apparently for these, had no idea it was coming.

So, despite the fact that Moto never committed publicly on a security patch timeline, they are shaming those that have.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

I just got my Feb 1 security patch for my MXP. No soak tests apparently for these, had no idea it was coming.
Is it 6.0.1 yet? I've been itching to send my girlfriend the new emojis.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Doesn't look like it no. Still 6.0. Patch was only about 7mb.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

So, despite the fact that Moto never committed publicly on a security patch timeline, they are shaming those that have.

Pretty sure they skipped January soooooo

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
My Nexus 4 is long in the tooth, and I am looking for a compact smartphone to replace it. I think the N4 is already too big, so most smartphones today are a no go for me. No way am I lugging those around. After research, I am deciding between the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact or Samsung Galaxy Alpha. The Z3 Compact is more appealing due to it's expandable memory, and slightly smaller size.

Honestly, I'm also just tempted to buy a used/refurb Nexus 4 for 50, as mine is still suitable to my needs and is very durable. It does have a shattered back glass and back camera, and has been glitchy lately. Boring phone, but it's never let me down.

Is there anything else I should be looking at? I know someone on the last page seemed happy with their Z3 compact.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Pretty sure they skipped January soooooo

I didn't do much work in January either. Did you?

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Is the 3rd gen Moto G still a good use of $220 for an Android smart phone? Or should I spend another $180 and get a Nexus 5x?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

beerinator posted:

I did poo poo all the entire month, hire me goog

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is the 3rd gen Moto G still a good use of $220 for an Android smart phone? Or should I spend another $180 and get a Nexus 5x?

Depending on your priorities you might also look a couple of last-years-model flagships. I believe the LG G3 and Moto X (2014) both got Marshmallow and would both be a significant step up from the G 2015 in specs and camera performance. Battery life may be worse, and the Moto G's waterproofing is a nice feature. Both those devices sell on eBay in new condition for the same price or less of the G. I see warehouse deals (basically Amazon open box) copies of the Moto X Pure for under $300 as well, which is a steal.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
So follow up to my Android Auto question, since I guess I can't turn off bluetooth, why the hell does my phone keep thinking my car bluetooth is a new device? Seemingly every time I connect my phone to my car, it pops up the Smart Lock alert asking to add my car bluetooth as a Trusted Device, and each time it pops up I add it. Then when I disconnect it, I keep getting a dialogue box to allow my car bluetooth to access my messages. Again, I always allow it. I'm using a Nexus 6P, so I really thought it would work great with this Android Auto thing without these weird issues, but I can't seem to figure out what the hell is going wrong.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

RFX posted:

So follow up to my Android Auto question, since I guess I can't turn off bluetooth, why the hell does my phone keep thinking my car bluetooth is a new device? Seemingly every time I connect my phone to my car, it pops up the Smart Lock alert asking to add my car bluetooth as a Trusted Device, and each time it pops up I add it. Then when I disconnect it, I keep getting a dialogue box to allow my car bluetooth to access my messages. Again, I always allow it. I'm using a Nexus 6P, so I really thought it would work great with this Android Auto thing without these weird issues, but I can't seem to figure out what the hell is going wrong.

Interesting, is it Android Auto managing the bluetooth connection and not the normal bluetooth settings menu? Kind of like how when you pair a watch with Android Wear it's done through the Wear app and not directly through the bluetooth menu. I'd start investigating there I guess.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

beerinator posted:

They skipped December too :ssh:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Except the Moto devices are still behind on updates and have recently announced they're not gonna update a whole host of devices they said they would lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moto not updating 2+ year old devices on Verizon is very likely Verizon's doing, not Motorola.