Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This chapter is loving great, even Law got into the ninja fever. Also, the talk about hearing the loud voice when they got near the top, and the duke said there was another person who heard it before, it was a reference to Gold Roger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Nin-Nin

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Zou is easily the best New World arc so far.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Glad there was a Poneglyph. Also, Raizou did not dissapoint - though his weird proportions and design, especially on the last page male me think of Samurai Pizza Cats.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

this is so much fun :allears:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
So that's where Naruto went after the series ended. When are we getting the Bleach cross-over? :v:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

dordreff posted:

can we just have Zou itself as the 10th crew member so all of these characters stay around forever

Seriously they are all great.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Captain Invictus posted:

And in English

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/One-Piece/817---Raizou-of-the-Mist?id=265380

Easily one of the best chapters in ages if not for the previous chapter :allears:

You're wrong, this was better than last chapter

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
Waaay better!

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

JosephWongKS posted:

So that's where Naruto went after the series ended. When are we getting the Bleach cross-over? :v:

Going by this, a little over a year after Bleach finally ends.

On the bright side, this should mean we'll get an AssClass cameo next spring.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Poneglyphs, Nami angling after money, the idiot trio going ballistic, peak One Piece, all of it.

Also, Raizou looks like a giant version of Gedatsu from the Skypiea arc, did they ever mention where Gedatsu came from?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
What's on the poneglyph Oda. What does the poneglyph saaaay :arghfist: :qq:

He's got us by the balls and I love it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RC Cola posted:

You're wrong, this was better than last chapter

Must we fight over which is better? They are both outstanding!

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
The back half of this chapter was one big tribute to Naruto. It was great.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I was giggling like an idiot through most of this chapter. One Piece is in perfect form lately. :allears:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So Jiraiya did go to heaven

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

heaven is a better manga

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Angry Lobster posted:

This chapter is loving great, even Law got into the ninja fever. Also, the talk about hearing the loud voice when they got near the top, and the duke said there was another person who heard it before, it was a reference to Gold Roger?

It seems like it, though the wording is kind of vague. First, Momonosuke mentions hearing a loud voice and Kinemon says he's like his father. Then Duke Dog and Count Cat recall another who said the same thing long ago. If that's a reference to Roger and the "voice of all things" then they're implying that Momonosuke and Oden both can hear it, however Luffy says nothing (maybe he was too focused on the impending ninja?). It could well be that Momonosuke was just hearing Raizou yelling because right after that Nami says she can hear a voice down the stairs. I think I'll reserve further speculation until the official translation comes out because suddenly having a father and son that have a ability that was unique to Roger and Luffy doesn't seem right.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Not sure if anyone else noticed, but it seems that people from Wano use Western name order, unlike most people in OPverse who put family names first.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Holy poo poo, Oda remembered that Robin is an archaeologist.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Green Intern posted:

Holy poo poo, Oda remembered that Robin is an archaeologist.
She had a fairly important archaeology-thing to do in Fishman Island. It's not been that long. Poneglyphs would lose their importance if they were on every island.

dazoner
May 17, 2006

White People!
HAHA, Nami is the best straw hat, she knows what being a pirate is all about

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Does 'Oden' mean anything in Japanese? There's an old One Piece OST track named "World's Number One Oden Store," just curious if it means anything.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Does 'Oden' mean anything in Japanese? There's an old One Puece OST track named "World's Number One Oden Store," just curious if it means anything.
it's a kind of japanese stew

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

dazoner posted:

HAHA, Nami is the best straw hat, she knows what being a pirate is all about

For as cringe-inducing Oda's pervert jokes often are, it was hilarious how Nami was trying to play innocent about the money while literally crushing Momo into her chest.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Star Platinum posted:

What's on the poneglyph Oda. What does the poneglyph saaaay :arghfist: :qq:

He's got us by the balls and I love it.

It's got the every Gerfield on one side and every Marmaduke on the reverse

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I appreciate how Robin is off doing something extremely important and infinitely more interesting, but Luffy is too busy gawping at the funny ninja man. (Raizo looks awesome, I love him)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's got the every Gerfield on one side and every Marmaduke on the reverse

Wait...

Marma... Duke...

:cripes: That has to be coincidence. It must be.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Wait...

Marma... Duke...

:cripes: That has to be coincidence. It must be.

According to the translator, the Dukedom aspect of Zou is entirely to build a pun.

"Moko Moko" means fluffy, like a plush animal. Dukedom is "Koukoku." Therefore, Mokomo Dukedom is "Mokomo Kou-koku." Fluffy Country. Thanks Stephen Paul.

Also this chapter was fantastic. I really want to know what's on that poneglyph but Raizou was great too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I feel real dumb because when they were talking about the unusual color of the stone I was looking for the gem in the Samurai family crest. Hmm, a gem that's an unusual, wonder what that could mean I said as I looked past the giant red stone.

Also I love that everyone else is naming off cool ninja tricks while Zoro names off a ninja henchman death.

bondster
May 6, 2007

Lost in the ninja chat is the other interesting piece of information regarding Momonsuke:

Since he has been revealed to be the heir of the clan, it would explain why Doffy had an interest in capturing him. Also considering he is royalty with a retainer that left his home country to do something and hide his identity, Momo is effectively Vivi of the New World :v:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Luffy's complete lack of give a poo poo for any authority at all is the best.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Raizou owns, especially on that last page. Oda does not disappoint.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure if anyone else noticed, but it seems that people from Wano use Western name order, unlike most people in OPverse who put family names first.

That is a fun little detail.

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Is Momonosuke the heir to the family that rules Wano, or just to some very important family there?

Fuckshoes
Jul 11, 2001

sup ladies

GoldenPrice posted:

Is Momonosuke the heir to the family that rules Wano, or just to some very important family there?

Probably just an important family. Momonosuke 'playing Shogun' in one of the earlier chapters makes me think Wano has a Shogun, and Daimyo were Shogunate vassals.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Momonosuke ftw.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I love Franky's casual little whale tree hairdo :3:.

Also, still speculating a Boshin-style civil war of insurrection against Kaidou the Shogun and restoring Momonosuke to the Imperial throne of Wano which drags in the Straw Hats and sympathetic samurai by association.

I have every reason to believe the Wano saga will be :krad:. There will probably also be some flashbacks to Ace there due to his previous association with the country as seen in the Marineford arc.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I have every reason to believe the Wano saga will be :krad:. There will probably also be some flashbacks to Ace there due to his previous association with the country as seen in the Marineford arc.

Yeah Wano story arc is gonna be pretty awesome, I wonder how Oda is gonna tie it in with Sanji and Big Mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

alkanphel posted:

Yeah Wano story arc is gonna be pretty awesome, I wonder how Oda is gonna tie it in with Sanji and Big Mom.

I think by the end of the Zou arc (which should be soon), Luffy will do a little hard thinking on whether to pursue Sanji alone or let him do his thing while the Straw Hats sail to Wano.

I've been ambivalent on this, but I think Luffy will ultimately say something like "He's my nakama, I trust him to do the right thing on his own." You've got Law, the Samurai, and now the Cat and Dog Lords as Momo's vassals acting as pressure on Luffy to stay focused on Kaidou and the Wano samurai subplot. I still wonder about Pekoms, though... On the whole, the Big Mam pirates seem more pragmatic than the Kaidou pirates who seem to enjoy total annihilation for its own sake to the point of sadism. I really want to see Nami's pre-Arlong hatred of pirates (and the wider world's stereotype of pirates, as Hannyabal pointed out in Impel Down) come to light in a big way.

I also think Zoro will get a lot of focus in Wano too, given that he's using Ryuuma's katana and being a swordsman and all. He needs to keep advancing in order to be on par with Mihawk later on and I'm sure Ryuuma's sword will draw a lot of suspicious questions, as Kin'emon hinted at on Punk Hazard.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 25, 2016