Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Tesseraction posted:

How would that even work? Those terms are contradictory.

No government + glorification of war and struggle... so I guess a Hobbesian state of nature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Wesley did the anarcho fascism thing to devalue the term. There is some truth that people over use fascism as a word. Fascists and proto fascists therefore try to make the word sound even more ridiculous. Think of it like ironic racism. "I'm not a fascist because I'm making fun of fascism. Lololol." Same with his Marxism Nixonism thing. He plays at being "funny" to avoid criticism. Probably. That or they are trying to hijack leftist terms just like how right wingers and LessWrong tried to hijack safe space.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Right, so he was using it incorrectly on purpose. I suppose I should have expected nothing less from these chucklefucks.

Either that or someone pointed out that it didn't make sense and he went with the irony defence.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

LunarShadow posted:

There is the argument that fascism has become almost meaningless due to widespread misuse of the term, but somehow I doubt he is making that argument.

His argument is that the term is used to disparage far-right racism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Post Rationalist Petey: A play in two acts

ACT ONE

Post-Rationalist Petey: Down below my sky garden of free speech and free thought, I see silly humans fighting over Trump vs Sanders vs Clinton Vs Cruz vs Rubio, but I, having long ago transcended such tribal shenanigans, refrain from judgement and return to meditating on pure meta-level structures.

ACT TWO

Post-Rationalist Petey: Down below my sky garden of free speech and free thought, I see silly humans fighting over Gamergate vs ant-Gamergate and THEY SAID WHAT ABOUT GAMERS!!!!!?????? WILL THE MARCH OF PROG MEMES NEVER STOP??????? YOU SHALL NOT WIN THIS DAY CTHULHU!!!!

Post-Rationalist Petey jumps off his sky garden without a parachute and dies

FIN

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
/Feverishly applauds

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
ClarckStillClaimingToBeAHat drops science for us on what is neoreaction. Hyperlinks Scott's "motte and bailey" essay. Clark himself makes quite clear that he's an ancap, but that ancaps and NRx have so much in common. Other NRx are already passing this one around.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
*snaps ironically, but in a really sincere way*

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

DStecks posted:

I get antinatalism as an environmentalist thing, but if you're doing it for purely philosophical reasons you're operating on JRPG villain logic.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is that if you view life as so utterly lovely that it's better to never live at all, then maybe the solution isn't not having kids, it's therapy.

It's not that life is terrible. It's that death is terrible, and causing another person's death is one of the worst crimes you can commit. But the person who actually causes death is the person who brings into the world a mortal being. Murder, suicide - those are just shortcuts to the destination that we all arrive at anyway. They don't CAUSE the death the way that having a child does.
This is also why I'm philosophically opposed to 'nature'.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The inherent contradiction of someone currently living taking that as a philosophical position is a short leap to "some people shouldn't be alive". After all, you yourself are alive, and have no intention of dying prematurely.

Only because of my own cowardice, my survival instinct and my meds - though I rationalize it by saying things like 'I don't want to hurt the people left behind', as if they'll matter to me when i'm dead. Who was it that said the only real philosophical question is whether to commit suicide? It's just taking the shortest route (don't kill yourself please if you're reading this).

Count Chocula has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Feb 26, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

But that whole perspective requires the idea that death is terrible, though. That's like the foundation stone, and I don't think that that's somehow something you can take for granted. Even from a purely atheist perspective it would arguably be like going to sleep and never waking up, which is not really fearsome.

If you wanted to get all Roko's Basilisk you could argue that the real cruelty is encouraging people to think of death as something horrible (as opposed to sad, or negative; taking a crap is arguably negative but it's not HORRIFYING). By furthering that idea and putting it into people's heads, you're palpably increasing suffering to no particular end, unless you want to get all meta Yudkowsky and say "If we were all sufficiently terrified of dying, we'd work harder to find me the immortality treatment."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

divabot posted:

ClarckStillClaimingToBeAHat drops science for us on what is neoreaction. Hyperlinks Scott's "motte and bailey" essay. Clark himself makes quite clear that he's an ancap, but that ancaps and NRx have so much in common. Other NRx are already passing this one around.

quote:

The core problem with anarcho-capitalism is the state machine: there’s no reason to believe that even if the US Government disappeared today and were replaced by competing service providers tomorrow, that it would stay gone.

Ah yes, that one, thats the most imprortant problem with anarcho-capitalism.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Count Chocula posted:

It's not that life is terrible. It's that death is terrible, and causing another person's death is one of the worst crimes you can commit. But the person who actually causes death is the person who brings into the world a mortal being. Murder, suicide - those are just shortcuts to the destination that we all arrive at anyway. They don't CAUSE the death the way that having a child does.

Only because of my own cowardice, my survival instinct and my meds - though I rationalize it by saying things like 'I don't want to hurt the people left behind', as if they'll matter to me when i'm dead. Who was it that said the only real philosophical question is whether to commit suicide? It's just taking the shortest route (don't kill yourself please if you're reading this).

They should matter to you now unless you're a huge creep, though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Count Chocula posted:

I was going to try and rebut this "the end of (positive thing) is bad, and ever doing (positive thing) causes its end, so therefore it's actually the bad part" argument, but it's pretty moot given how much the end of your post implies you are extremely unwell. You're using philosophy as a tool of suicidal ideation, and that means something in your psychiatric treatment regimen is not working. Please seek help to correct it.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Count Chocula posted:

Who was it that said the only real philosophical question is whether to commit suicide? It's just taking the shortest route (don't kill yourself please if you're reading this).

That was Albert Camus, and he came down on the side of "actually life is kind of cool, don't kill yourself" as I recall

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I can see a certain justification for circumstantial antinatalism: don't have a kid right now, don't have a kid until conditions AB&C are no longer plaguing the world. That makes a lot of sense to me. But I don't really understand categorical antinatalism, except as a kind of failure to fully come to grips with the demands of existentialism.

We have to imagine Sisyphus happy, is all I'm saying. :colbert:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Ixion is pretty screwed tho

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Just because your thanatophobia is stronger than your rationality doesn't make it true for everyone Count. Get some better help, because antinatalism isn't actually a philosophy it's an excuse.

Glenn Zimmerman
Apr 9, 2009
This is more of a utilitarian loophole where potential people have no value (we're all pro-choice here, right?) and there is a nonzero chance that someone who is born will have a lovely life. Therefore, don't have kids.

The most extreme version of this would be the Christian sects who refuse to have children because it's possible one of them will be damned to eternal hellfire.

Nessus posted:

But that whole perspective requires the idea that death is terrible, though. That's like the foundation stone, and I don't think that that's somehow something you can take for granted. Even from a purely atheist perspective it would arguably be like going to sleep and never waking up, which is not really fearsome.

I can see how torture would be worse than death but death is, like, number 2 on my list of worst things ever. Is this not normal? I know people make peace with death but I doubt many of them would be refusing biological immortality if it was possible.

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

So, it looks like su3su2u1 has deleted their tumblr http://su3su2u1.tumblr.com/ after the rationalists hounded him out for committing some sock-puppetting in arguments about MIRI.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Glenn Zimmerman posted:

I can see how torture would be worse than death but death is, like, number 2 on my list of worst things ever. Is this not normal? I know people make peace with death but I doubt many of them would be refusing biological immortality if it was possible.
Death sucks because you won't get to do cool stuff and have new experiences after it, IMO. It may also be painful. However, in some circumstances (extreme old age/decreptiude, terminal disease with no prospect of cure or remission, being trapped in a mineshaft and nearly out of air) dying isn't like, good, but isn't awful either.

I think the question of how people would react to an immortality pill is interesting but unprovable, though I wouldn't expect many people to categorically decline. (I wouldn't, but I would want to be sure it was possible to beat the immortality in the event of Dire Circumstances.)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Glenn Zimmerman posted:

This is more of a utilitarian loophole where potential people have no value (we're all pro-choice here, right?) and there is a nonzero chance that someone who is born will have a lovely life. Therefore, don't have kids.

The most extreme version of this would be the Christian sects who refuse to have children because it's possible one of them will be damned to eternal hellfire.

Dying sucks, death is nothing. I can't be afraid of nothing. There's nothing before , and nothing after, so improve everyone while you're here.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Reflections85 posted:

So, it looks like su3su2u1 has deleted their tumblr http://su3su2u1.tumblr.com/ after the rationalists hounded him out for committing some sock-puppetting in arguments about MIRI.

More specifically, after shlevy threatened to dox him if he didn't. Love these rationalists.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big fans of free speech, I see. Fighting the SJW mob (that doesn't exist) they hate so much by setting a good example.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Well this is inordinately entertaining

As a sidenote, man, tumblr text pyramids are annoying

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Never not relevant.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

this made my morning. I was actually in the midst of telling someone about how I was just waiting for a callout post after a minor memetic skirmish with Mr Morganston (which led to me digging up Albanixey! Albanixey!) and was informed that L-S had duly delivered. L-S is not quite Multiheaded, but not for want of effort.

Having recently gone a round with G*m*rg*te, I would like to say that Wesley is probably better company than doxxing arseholes.

divabot has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Mar 2, 2016

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Well this is inordinately entertaining

the anons on philip sandifer's tumblr really make it for me. "why don't you take moldbug seriously when famous rationalist blogger Scott Alexander does?" lmbo

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
I think the basic case for antinatalism is simple:

1) Causing someone great suffering without their permission, when doing so isn't necessary to accomplishing some other morally obligate end, is immoral.
2) Every life involves great suffering.
3) No one chooses to be born (and decisions to end lives take place after great suffering and can cause great suffering to others.)
4) It's not morally obligatory to have kids.
5) Having kids is immoral.

I'm far from entirely certain of the premises, and the conclusion violates most people's intuitions, so I certainly wouldn't start going about any supervillainous plots on that basis, but it does strike me as at least plausible.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

How can you people waste time talking about childfrees and soosoos when super-cool rapist Roosh V is trying to figure out where the alt-right went wrong, and why it's all of a sudden full of white supremacists, some of which even are all "huh, this roosh guy is totally a rapist (and also highly un-white)".

In response, war was declared:

quote:

The manosphere and feminism are cut from the same cloth. They only oppose each other like two rival tribes of barbarians fighting over the spoils of a fallen civilization.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

100% chance this person thinks marital rape is okay if it's done by a white guy posted:

White Nationalists have to stand for the restoration of biologically based and traditionally hallowed sexual norms: heterosexual marriage, the nuclear family, the single-breadwinner household, men as protectors and providers, and women as wives and mothers.

Biological things. Like nuclear families. How is this *not* parody?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Doc Hawkins posted:

How can you people waste time talking about childfrees and soosoos when super-cool rapist Roosh V is trying to figure out where the alt-right went wrong, and why it's all of a sudden full of white supremacists, some of which even are all "huh, this roosh guy is totally a rapist (and also highly un-white)".

In response, war was declared:

Every time I read anything from Roosh, I just wonder how someone so clearly idiotic manages to have a fandom, or even dress himself.

I mean don't get me wrong, Moldbug is dumb and terrible, but at least he can write like he can think above the stimulus/response level

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
archive.is delivers su3su2u1 on HPMOR: chapter reviews up to 103, full review. Might want to save these somewhere. Later chapter reviews don't appear to be in archive.is, sadly, and any of the discussion around EY exploding on Reddit would need to be reconstructed from others' reblogging.

The old blog was not indexed by archive.org; but philippesaner grabbed the URL and has let stuff through via robots.txt, so let's hope archive.org did grab snapshots and will reveal them when it notices it's allowed to.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I wonder why.

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fututor Magnus posted:

I wonder why.

Considering how often Ken bashed alt-right and NRx types on Twitter, I have no idea how he managed to put up with Clark for as long as he did, or even why.

For that matter, is Clark even a lawyer at all?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Pussy Cartel posted:

Considering how often Ken bashed alt-right and NRx types on Twitter, I have no idea how he managed to put up with Clark for as long as he did, or even why.

For that matter, is Clark even a lawyer at all?

I want to say ClarkHat's a programmer, because he went out if his way to look at (and praise as revolutionary) Moldbug's unremarkable and idiosyncratic programming language. https://popehat.com/2013/12/06/nock-hoon-etc-for-non-vulcans-why-urbit-matters/

That he liked it makes him a crackpot, but as this thread has observed, being a crackpot and a programmer isn't exactly an uncommon combination.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Let's check in with Mister Mean Spirited, a man so edgy, he looks like an FF7 character

http://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/02/your-feelings-deserve-to-be-hurt.html

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Let's check in with Mister Mean Spirited, a man so edgy, he looks like an FF7 character

http://mister-mean-spirited.blogspot.com/2016/02/your-feelings-deserve-to-be-hurt.html

I think the thing that's funniest is no-one outside of his 5 followers will read this so it's basically a man cry-yelling into a void.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That's the purest example of projection I've ever seen. They should put it in textbooks.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TOO BAD YOU'RE OFFENDED YOU CRYBABY

-MMS in front of bathroom mirror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tesseraction posted:

I think the thing that's funniest is no-one outside of his 5 followers will read this so it's basically a man cry-yelling into a void.

I looked through his blog and most of the comments are the same 5 people agreeing with him, and then there's like two people who each commented once to say he's an rear end in a top hat.

Clearly a legendary provocateur and gadfly