Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution has some problems.

Some of the levels drag on for too long with shittons of identical enemies and no challenge other than the tedium of sneaking behind and knocking out dozens of people, which seems like a suggestion from the developers to skip everything with the cloak aug, because very rarely do those enemies have anything interesting on them. But of course, skipping parts of levels ruins the most interesting thing about Deus Ex: the exploration.

Also, there's one segment where you have to wait for a very slow elevator. The best way of doing this is crawling into a vent and sitting there for a few minutes, doing nothing while the enemies the elevator summons mill about in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Thoughtless posted:

The extremely stereotypical racial voice acting for everyone who's Chinese is pretty glaring, too.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Thoughtless posted:

Some of the levels drag on for too long with shittons of identical enemies and no challenge other than the tedium of sneaking behind and knocking out dozens of people, which seems like a suggestion from the developers to skip everything with the cloak aug, because very rarely do those enemies have anything interesting on them. But of course, skipping parts of levels ruins the most interesting thing about Deus Ex: the exploration.

Also, there's one segment where you have to wait for a very slow elevator. The best way of doing this is crawling into a vent and sitting there for a few minutes, doing nothing while the enemies the elevator summons mill about in the room.

I tried throwing vending machines and other heavy objects in the doorways. Tbh it's been so long that I can't remember if the AI just breaks or do they do anything interesting

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

RBA Starblade posted:

Can't you just leave by fast traveling like you could normally?

No, I reloaded at that point. You can only travel to and from the thing once you get the chip from the science lady.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

10 Beers posted:

The extremely stereotypical racial voice acting for everyone who's Chinese is pretty glaring, too.

It must be a tribute to the original Deus Ex's Hong Kong section.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My annoying thing about DEHR is that they incentivized stealth too much. Giving you the best bonuses for ghosting/non-lethal takedowns.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

muscles like this? posted:

My annoying thing about DEHR is that they incentivized stealth too much. Giving you the best bonuses for ghosting/non-lethal takedowns.

Ugh, this is any game with stealth. Some games like Thief or MGS, sure, that's the point, but in a game with a variety of options it's just so boring.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn't like that there were like 16 lethal options in dishonored and if you were trying to be low chaos you weren't using any of them.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

AlphaKretin posted:

Ugh, this is any game with stealth. Some games like Thief or MGS, sure, that's the point, but in a game with a variety of options it's just so boring.

I liked the stealth in Wolfenstein: The New Order a lot. They didn't give you as many silent options as loud options, but they worked well and getting spotted doesn't mean you're completely screwed.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

AlphaKretin posted:

I think they wanted to prevent people from just defaulting to combat as the path of least resistance, which it often is in video games, especially to people like me who always roll fighters or paladins in RPGs and ignored stealth almost entirely in The New Order. If you can just wade into combat and kill everyone, why not kill everyone?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Digirat posted:

I didn't like that there were like 16 lethal options in dishonored and if you were trying to be low chaos you weren't using any of them.

You can kill a surprisingly high number of people and still get low chaos, like 30%+ of people in every level. This does absolutely nothing to rectify this problem since a) you have no idea of what the actual cut off is and the game never tells you so you everyone just defaulted to not killing anyone and b) even if they had implemented a way to display this on a first run people don't know the layouts of level so aren't likely to kill people they currently see in case they have to kill people later in the level.

MGS at least has the decency to make the no-kill run not be a different ending/special rewards but just a different score at the end of the game so you never feel like you're missing out on anything.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Murder in MGS is unquestionably the easy way out, too. Big Boss is a satisfying self-imposed challenge, like an achievement, rather than some kind of Bioware-esque "moral choice."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

RyokoTK posted:

Murder in MGS is unquestionably the easy way out, too. Big Boss is a satisfying self-imposed challenge, like an achievement, rather than some kind of Bioware-esque "moral choice."

There's certain upsides and downsides to lethal vs. non-lethal in MGS games. If you're trying to be stealthy then murder's generally a bad idea, since the response to enemies finding a dead boody is so much greater than them finding a sleeping one. I recall MGS4 causing a psyche hit if you kill a lot of people too, and getting bloodied by battle in MGSV makes it harder to hide. That all seems a lot more organic as inclinations, though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Barudak posted:

You can kill a surprisingly high number of people and still get low chaos, like 30%+ of people in every level. This does absolutely nothing to rectify this problem since a) you have no idea of what the actual cut off is and the game never tells you so you everyone just defaulted to not killing anyone and b) even if they had implemented a way to display this on a first run people don't know the layouts of level so aren't likely to kill people they currently see in case they have to kill people later in the level.

MGS at least has the decency to make the no-kill run not be a different ending/special rewards but just a different score at the end of the game so you never feel like you're missing out on anything.

Yeah I still killed people who saw me instead of just always trying to run away and got the low chaos ending, but you can never tell how much it matters.

Dishonored also had a problem in that was disproportionately easy if you were willing to be lethal. You get an enormous number of ways to kill dudes instantly, when you could just kill most normal dudes with the sword if you're decent, and the pistol turns into a point and click Delete Enemy button.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Digirat posted:

Dishonored also had a problem in that was disproportionately easy if you were willing to be lethal. You get an enormous number of ways to kill dudes instantly, when you could just kill most normal dudes with the sword if you're decent, and the pistol turns into a point and click Delete Enemy button.

Nah, you're just thinking of it the wrong way. The challenge in Dishonored isn't about throwing goals and enemies at you that you have to overcome. Dishonored instead challenges you to be as creative and stylish as possible in dispatching said enemies and achieving said goals and gives you all the tools you need to do it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this? posted:

DXHR basically incentivises everything that makes the game less fun. If you don't want to miss out on stuff you have to search every desk drawer, every locker, every nook and cranny. If you don't want to miss out on XP you have to hack everything, regardless of whether there's any reason to do so. Even things you have the password for. You've got cool arm blades but they take longer, are louder, and give less XP than just punching people. The coolest guns are hard to find, have very limited amounts of ammunition, and are just way less efficient than using a pistol all the time. Basically the same issue with augs, in that the optimal choices are the less fun/impressive ones. It's not difficult to unlock basically everything by the end of the game, but you're handicapping yourself if you pick cool stuff at the start.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

TomViolence posted:

Nah, you're just thinking of it the wrong way. The challenge in Dishonored isn't about throwing goals and enemies at you that you have to overcome. Dishonored instead challenges you to be as creative and stylish as possible in dispatching said enemies and achieving said goals and gives you all the tools you need to do it.

I didn't know you could do half that stuff :stare:

Although I'm wondering if he's using some mod so his mana doesn't run out, possession takes up so much.

E: now I've got that guard whistle tune stuck in my head. Things dragging Dishonored down: guards only say like 3 things. Will they gather for whiskey and cigars that night? Chances are very good.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 05:25 on Feb 25, 2016

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'm really, really sick of fantasy settings in games that resemble Britain, with the British weather and the stupid "ello guvna" accents and the savage Welshmen wild elves in the forest. Going to beat up on Dragon Age again, because Ferelden is loving boring. Hell Sten even tells you why it's such a boring, dreary setting in the game's dialogue! And when it's not England with dragons it's probably Icy Viking Land. If we must do medieval European fantasy, why not a setting that resembles Flanders, or Italy, or Switzerland, or Russia, or Spain? Especially Spain, medieval Spain is way the gently caress more interesting as source material to be processed into a fantasy land than goddamn England, with numerous vastly different peoples and cultures (Castilians, Moors, Portuguese, Basques, Sephardic Jews, etc.) in contact and conflict and climate and terrain that differs radically from the European standard (oh, right, "European standard" in fantasy means "British"). Also it means the setting will have to acknowledge that black people actually exist, considering that they ruled Spain for 500 years.

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 06:47 on Feb 25, 2016

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Or Byzantium.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Thin Privilege posted:

Although I'm wondering if he's using some mod so his mana doesn't run out, possession takes up so much.

E: now I've got that guard whistle tune stuck in my head. Things dragging Dishonored down: guards only say like 3 things. Will they gather for whiskey and cigars that night? Chances are very good.

Could the city get any worse? Indeed, I believe so.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

TomViolence posted:

Watching that makes me regret going through the game as the Rat King and just letting the swarm devour every problem. I might have to play it again.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Byzantine posted:

Or Byzantium.

Oh gently caress, how could I forget? Byzantium was where it was loving at in medieval Europe. Russian legend has it that king Vladimir converted to Orthodox Christianity because Byzantium was far, far more impressive than any city in the West or the Near East at the time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Byzantine Emperor supposedly had a mechanical throne with metal birds that would chirp and flutter:to impress visitors :krad:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Tiggum posted:

DXHR basically incentivises everything that makes the game less fun. If you don't want to miss out on stuff you have to search every desk drawer, every locker, every nook and cranny. If you don't want to miss out on XP you have to hack everything, regardless of whether there's any reason to do so. Even things you have the password for. You've got cool arm blades but they take longer, are louder, and give less XP than just punching people. The coolest guns are hard to find, have very limited amounts of ammunition, and are just way less efficient than using a pistol all the time. Basically the same issue with augs, in that the optimal choices are the less fun/impressive ones. It's not difficult to unlock basically everything by the end of the game, but you're handicapping yourself if you pick cool stuff at the start.
Deus Ex: HR is actually a pretty interesting game when it comes to "dragging down" discussion. I'm on my, like, fourth playthrough right now, I really love it, but I agree that there are some tactics that are plainly inferiour or just don't work. What makes it interesting is that so many other tactics do work, and in the end you have a game that you can tackle in like four different ways, but for many people it really sucks that you cannot do it the fifth way which they wanted to use. And THAT only on a per-mission basis.

Example: I just did the sidequest where you infiltrate a gang hideout to find a hidden weapon stash, caveat: you cannot be noticed. Which sucks a little because it's the only mission in the game where just being seen is instant failure, and it extends to "a guy caught a glimpse of you for a millisecond before you put a bullet into his head". That's nonsense and shouldn't penalize you, but they coded it that way because they wanted you to, well, not be seen AT ALL.
Thing is, the mission isn't actually that bad, because the more I get through it, the more I realize how insanely good the level design for it is. For the sidequest, you JUST need to see the weapon stash, so what you can do is go through the sewers; there are guards, but they are not on the compound itself, so you can get spotted by them and massacre them however you want, and that entrance leads directly to the objective, problem solved. Or you take a back entrance to the compound if you have the high-jump, avoid a cluster of assholes at the start, sneak once for a three-minute segment, spot the weapon stash, done.
It is of course also possible to slowly and methodically distract guards, knock them out, to headshots on solo targets etc., but it's by no means ideal. And it's impossible to do it guns blazing, of course.

BUT, and here comes the kicked, the compound is far bigger than just the route to the weapon stash, so you want to explore, right? And it sucks to explore because the moment you get spotted, you have to reload or fail the sidequest and it's stupid and frustrating. I killed every one of the fucker with a headshot and cursed as I missed and they turned and only the second shot hit and whoops sidequest failed, it was easier when I was going nonlethal but it sucked there, too.

Thing is, and I only just realized that, you can totally hand in the sidequest and THEN go explore and get spotted all the time and murder them all with machine guns and it doesn't matter. Four times doing that thing and it just occured to me. Or you go there immediately, murder everybody, then accept the sidequest.

I think HR is a victim of how great a game it really is: you know you can do things in a vast number of ways, and you start to expect that. Then you want to do it THIS way, but that doesn't work. And it sucks. But you cannot really fault the developers for that - they gave you SO MANY WAYS, but they didn't account for that one different one you want to do.

I also wanted to shoot up the police station, but I'm cool so of course without raising any alarms. Sadly, this is pretty much impossible, because a single shot will alert about a thousand guys. That kinda sucked, but then AGAIN, why would they specifically give you a way to murder every innocent or maybe crooked cop in cold blood? I can't really expect that, and it still kinda irked me.

Then I found out that you can actually get a Silencer from the get-go, I had forgotten that because I usually don't shoot people in the game. So I could actually have shot a substantial amount of cops. Weeeeelp.

What I'm saying: there is no excuse for kill-takedowns always being worse (because they're quite noisy) than knock-out takedowns, but most of your problems with Deus Ex: Human Revolution will probably lie within yourself. This is not an accusation, it happens to me often enough, but you might find your experience vastly improved by giving up on a certain self-imposed goal and just accepting that a slightly different approach might also be acceptable. And it will be.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Thin Privilege posted:

E: is there an eating animation or do they just disappear?

You claw at the body, blood flies everywhere and then you belch. The body stays behind.

Playing FarCry: Primal and I could be wrong*, but it reads like throwing knives are only available if you sign up to UPlay or whatever it's called. For one, that's pretty lovely to begin with and two the upgrade tree REQUIRES you to upgrade your throwing knife ability even though it's locked behind uplay.

*It says it's locked behind a story mission but also behind the uplay service too. So Maybe uplay unlocks them early? Not sure, still lovely.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

I think HR is a victim of how great a game it really is: you know you can do things in a vast number of ways, and you start to expect that. Then you want to do it THIS way, but that doesn't work. And it sucks. But you cannot really fault the developers for that - they gave you SO MANY WAYS, but they didn't account for that one different one you want to do.

HR is simultaneously so good but also so infuriating because the game balance and reward structure are just plain messed up, and too much of the game is locked onto lethal/nonlethal and loud/stealth axes instead of a more open-ended toolbox approach. And due those axes, the elements that don't happen to play by those rules just feel odd.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 12:31 on Feb 25, 2016

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Thin Privilege posted:

Nah, he keeps chugging pots, you can hear the sound on occasion if you pay attention. Still though that's really impressive.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

HR is simultaneously so good but also so infuriating because the game balance and reward structure are just plain messed up, and too much of the game is locked onto lethal/nonlethal and loud/stealth axes instead of a more open-ended toolbox approach. And due those axes, the elements that don't happen to play by those rules just feel odd.
It should also be noted that while yes, you get noticably less experience for just killing dudes instead of knocking them out, it doesn't actually matter - about half the upgrades are useless anyway and it matters jackshit if you get the aim stabilizer or whatever you were shooting (heh) for half a mission earlier or not. I mean, that's a problem in and of itself but all the :byodood: I NEED TO MAXIMIZE MY EXPERIENCE AT ALL TIMES THEREFORE I LURE ENEMIES TOGETHER SO I GET A DOUBLE TAKEDOWN ALWAYS THIS ONLY TAKES ME TWENTY RELOADS PER ATTEMPT :byodood: is laughable, too. You will have far, far more levels than you will ever need even with a casual "a gently caress it just start shooting them" playstyle by the end of the game, the only thing you lose is the ability to make the early, easy levels just that slight bit more easy. There's a GameFAQs guide I glanced at that tells you the exact order to purchase your upgrades in to not miss a single point of XP and NO YOU HAVE TO HACK EVERY COMPUTER EVEN IF YOU FOUND THE CODE FOR IT THERE IS POINTZ IN THAT, I have zero pity for you if you let that mentality drag the game down for you.

To get away from defending possibly actually bad game design decisions because gently caress you, DXHR is insanely fun despite all that, I picked up Bravely Default again after finally getting through a boss that stonewalled me, and it's still really loving good because the job system in FFV on steroids and amazing and I love it, but good God do I despise the story. It's rare for me to even have that problem because most of the time I'm like "stupid poo poo happening, whatever", but in this case it irks even me. Not even the overarching plot, the loving "comedy" moments or whatever drive me up a wall, and they are the main plot. The annual flower festival where the most beautiful maiden in the country is chosen happens tomorrow! This is the perfect opportunity to dress up our shy and demure protagonist woman into the skimpiest bikini possible because ~hilarity~ :iamafag:. But where do we get such a bikini? Maybe the old lecher that lives alone but his hobby is sewing women's clothing can help! Hopefully he won't creepily hit on our female party members again! of course he loving does

The country is locked in a year-long civil war between factions that are manipulated into fighting by the evil empire! Hundreds of thousands have perished by a nefarious poison gas attack in one of the biggest atrocities ever committed!
Comic relief horndog party member: that's tragic and all but I literally will not land our ship on this beach because there are no sexy mermaids to be seen (I am not making this up)! Maybe on this cruise liner in the middle of nowhere instead????

The tonal whiplash alone is insane, and I know that Squeenix did this in almost all FFs, yada yada, even FFV has a pretty hefty story with lots of people dying, but at least there I liked the characters and appreciated a little levity, it's a far cry from "genocide! On the other hand, lingerie lol"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

The best way to maximize your experience in DX:HR is to buy the Director's Cut so you have a New Game Plus mode where you can have all the augmentations. Even the ones that involve targeting/tagging enemies and you will never use.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm finally playing Xcom 2 and I understand why panic exists but I disagree with how soldiers can't cancel it themselves. Example a guy just got panicked by a grenade taking out his cover and nearly killing him and the guy beside him. He responds by running to base to base contact and shotgunning the thing gibbing it. I feel like that should end his panic because he just got all :clint: on a xeno rear end in a top hat.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I finally got around to playing Rebel Galaxy, and while it's a fun little game, the UI is just atrocious. My biggest gripe is with the shield and armour indicators, which look like this:

One gauge each for each side of ship, looks straightforward enough, right? Since you have gauges there already, even nice and segmented in the case of shields, the sensible approach would be to just have them get shorter as things get damaged. Well, the game doesn't think so. Instead, the gauges just get lighter and more translucent. So in the middle of a heated firefight you have to figure out whether that's a regular light blue or a really light light blue and try to gauge your status from that.
But that's not everything: Every time a shield is damaged, the gauge flashes red for a second. Since you're usually in big group fights with lots of rapid-fire weapons, that means it's flashing all the time. So in a game where one significant aspect is turning so that your strongest shields are towards the enemy while the weakened ones, you have no way to tell how depleted your shields are until they fail entirely and you start taking hull damage.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
I was out of work for 3 weeks, so had time to catch up on some games I had missed.

First up: The Last Of Us:

in general, I think Dishonored did this style of gameplay better. My main gripe was the inconsistent way my super Batman hearing worked. It seems like you either had to actually lay eyes on an Infected or some NPC trigger ("there's infected ahead! shh!") had to happen before the hearing thing was useful. It was lame to listen at a closed door and hear nothing, then open the door into a room full of Infected, including at least one Clicker who is constantly making noise. Either give me super hearing or don't - but make it consistent.

The other small one was getting across that one rushing water part near the end where you had to jump across the top of train cars or trucks or whatever it was. There is no prompt that you can do anything there, and jumping hadn't been a useful mechanic for literally the ENTIRE REST OF THE GAME. I was stuck there for like 45 minutes until I finally just looked it up. "jump? wtf?!?"

Dragon Age: Inquisition:

I never thought I'd say this about a game, but holy poo poo too much story. When every cutscene features a character rattling off 4-5 minutes of exposition about politics or religion or arcane schools of magic every single time - you may need to tighten up your writing a bit.

I finished it, but I don't think I could describe most of the story to anyone if they asked me to. Something something Inquisition, something something crossbow guy, something something angry demon guy, kill things, dragon, something something, good guys win.

Also the melee combat is terrible. Ranged is fun for both Mages and Bow Rogues, but after a few attempts at melee - no thanks.

Oddly enough it's fun to sit and play for a bit, just to knock out any of a hundred step-and-fetch missions. The multiplayer is fun as well.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Just reached 40 hours of playtime in Helldivers. I love the game, but the flaws are very obvious.

A big problem is how the alert system works. When there is no alarm, the game has a preset number of patrols at all times, and will instantly respawn a patrol if one dies. If a patrol is too far from the player, they will only exist as a blip on the radar, but not as a physical object. Because of this, a patrol that was close to you but not yet physically there can appear right next to you and set off the alarm. Another problem is that they materialize based on the distance from ANY player, and not based on distance from the screen's center, meaning that when you are playing multiplayer, they will be able to see a player without anyone being able to see them. As a result, you will be in the alert state at all times in multiplayer, and there is nothing you can do about it.

On the other side of the coin, when you play single player, the game is easy as hell. Since there are no other players hanging out at the edges of the screen, you will almost always be able to see the patrols before they see you. That's great, since alarms mean death. The problem instead is that you will never encounter any real resistance because strong enemies will never spawn unless the alarm is going off.

In the end, the game is either easy baby poo poo on single player, or nearly impossible on multiplayer. If you ask me, the game is begging to be a first person shooter, where all of the good parts of the game would really shine without being held back by the limitations of being a twin-stick shooter. I love the wacky shenanigans of constant death by something being dropped in, but I can't help but feel like I was foolish to spend $40 on the game, because it feels like it should have been $20 WITH the DLC.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I like Life is Strange a lot but they really need to hire some better animators for their next game, augh. Even Telltale is better than this.

HaB posted:

Dragon Age: Inquisition:

I never thought I'd say this about a game, but holy poo poo too much story. When every cutscene features a character rattling off 4-5 minutes of exposition about politics or religion or arcane schools of magic every single time - you may need to tighten up your writing a bit.

I kind of have this problem too. I'm on break for a bit at my parent's place and I just cannot get into Witcher 3. It was great when it came out during the summer and I had loads of time, but I can't jump in and play a little bit of stabby magic zap with Geralt.

Lord Lambeth has a new favorite as of 19:51 on Feb 25, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

The country is locked in a year-long civil war between factions that are manipulated into fighting by the evil empire! Hundreds of thousands have perished by a nefarious poison gas attack in one of the biggest atrocities ever committed!
Comic relief horndog party member: that's tragic and all but I literally will not land our ship on this beach because there are no sexy mermaids to be seen (I am not making this up)! Maybe on this cruise liner in the middle of nowhere instead????

The tonal whiplash alone is insane, and I know that Squeenix did this in almost all FFs, yada yada, even FFV has a pretty hefty story with lots of people dying, but at least there I liked the characters and appreciated a little levity, it's a far cry from "genocide! On the other hand, lingerie lol"

I don't remember that scene in particular and the entire beauty-pageant sidequest gets incredibly tiresome, but the game is a little more clever than you're giving it credit for. The "horndog" party member knows a lot more than he lets on and keeps dropping the one-liners and shallow attempts at flirtation to divert attention from his hunches, no matter how inappropriate it gets. He more or less quits the schtick entirely past a certain point.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

I don't remember that scene in particular and the entire beauty-pageant sidequest gets incredibly tiresome, but the game is a little more clever than you're giving it credit for. The "horndog" party member knows a lot more than he lets on and keeps dropping the one-liners and shallow attempts at flirtation to divert attention from his hunches, no matter how inappropriate it gets. He more or less quits the schtick entirely past a certain point.
I was 90% sure of that anyway because, well, he's a loving amnesiac (or not), no way nothing's up. But I've played 25 hours now with this insufferable fuckwit, pretend or not, in my party. It's really getting old.

The other scene is in Eisenberg. You might have missed the "yeah we casually murdered 100000 people (that's the actual number given by the game)" info because it was presented by a grotesquely fat lady in cahoots with a pirate, a female bayonetta-looking ninja who turns into a little boy to talk, a skimpily-dressed (of course) blonde who's also skilled at battlefield flirting or whatever, all working for a completely straight-played samurai master swordsman. Look, I don't think the game gets tone.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Len posted:

I'm finally playing Xcom 2 and I understand why panic exists but I disagree with how soldiers can't cancel it themselves. Example a guy just got panicked by a grenade taking out his cover and nearly killing him and the guy beside him. He responds by running to base to base contact and shotgunning the thing gibbing it. I feel like that should end his panic because he just got all :clint: on a xeno rear end in a top hat.

I think it makes sense. After firing wildly at some source of movement, he'll take a bit of time to process what just happened and calm down. It's not like he's like that for a long time - a turn in Xcom would be what, 15 to 30 seconds or so if it was realtime?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lord Lambeth posted:

I like Life is Strange a lot but they really need to hire some better animators for their next game, augh. Even Telltale is better than this.

A fair point, but the way you phrase it makes it sound like you expect this small studio (that was teetering on bankruptcy) to be better at animation than a much larger, better funded one?

I just wish the main character didn't seem so stoned, and down on herself. I guess it's a character trait but almost everything you do ends up with her putting herself down and it's like, jesus christ you have time powers you are literally the most special snowflake in the world and all you do is second guess yourself and think you're poo poo.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Morpheus posted:

A fair point, but the way you phrase it makes it sound like you expect this small studio (that was teetering on bankruptcy) to be better at animation than a much larger, better funded one?

I just wish the main character didn't seem so stoned, and down on herself. I guess it's a character trait but almost everything you do ends up with her putting herself down and it's like, jesus christ you have time powers you are literally the most special snowflake in the world and all you do is second guess yourself and think you're poo poo.

I liked Life is Strange but why couldn't the main character just be a gung-ho military white guy??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I mean, she is a teenager. They are usually down on themselves.