Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Great! Thanks. Sometimes Japanese devs do weird poo poo to limit streaming, so I thought it best to ask before I tried and failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Dragon Quest Builders is a great game. I can't read much Japanese, so sometimes I don't know what the hell the villagers want me to do. It's so much fun, I can't image it wouldn't come to the US since it's not just a Dragon Quest game.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Hate to be that guy, but I would love to see it on PC. Game looks great, but I don't have a PS4, and don't know how I feel about running that sort of game on the aging PS3. Guess it's preferable to just get the game at all, so here's hoping either way!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 giving the people what they really want.

Character lineup:
Meena (DQ4), Maribel (DQ7), Ruff (DQ7), Carver (DQ6), Angelo (DQ8), plus Alena, Kiryl, Maya, Terry and Jessica return from DQH1.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

TurnipFritter posted:

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 giving the people what they really want.

Character lineup:
Meena (DQ4), Maribel (DQ7), Ruff (DQ7), Carver (DQ6), Angelo (DQ8), plus Alena, Kiryl, Maya, Terry and Jessica return from DQH1.

Who the hell is Ruff?

...they changed Gabo's name, didn't they.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I love Torneko

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

now i know how people felt when they localized dqiv

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Loved the first game, can't wait for the second. They should lean harder RPG this time around.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

All I want at this point is a better menu system. I know why they did it that way but it is still annoying!

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AriadneThread posted:

Thank you. That makes me feel better.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Any hope on those 3DS versions of 7 & 8 getting a more definite date soon or are we likely going to wait until E3 or later to know when in 2016 we'll get it?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Crabtree posted:

Any hope on those 3DS versions of 7 & 8 getting a more definite date soon or are we likely going to wait until E3 or later to know when in 2016 we'll get it?

Probably going to be a direct closer to E3 at least for DQ7. I think 7 is Summer and 8 is Holiday.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

Or 5, or 6, or 1, 2, or 3? Or 8 even?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Torneko's not DLC or anything, right?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Torneko's not DLC or anything, right?

I believe he's in the game proper.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Last Celebration posted:

Or 5, or 6, or 1, 2, or 3? Or 8 even?

4 is a particular case because it was one way in English initially, and then a subsequent release just threw all that prior stuff out the window. It's frustrating. Sometimes you envy Japanese DQ fans who get to enjoy the same character names and same spell names every time without having to worry about which spellname to use depending on who you're conversing with: Hurt, Gira, Firebal, or Sizz (all the same spell!).

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Srice posted:

All I want at this point is a better menu system. I know why they did it that way but it is still annoying!

this but also the multiplayer in the sequel will own and make me forgive bad ui decisions

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I don't know what any of these retranslated names mean. I assumed Meena was Mara. Nope, it's Nara.

Bring back the original NES names! Spell names, too.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Draile posted:

Bring back the original NES names! Spell names, too.

Well, let's not go crazy. It would be kind of silly to have Meena casting wind spells called Infernos and Infermore and Infermost. :v:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Bring back Bikill! :black101:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The new newer spell translations are terrible and always have been. (Ka)Crack(le) is dumb as hell. Give me my goddamn Snowstorm, Ice Spears, and Blizzard spell names. Infernos was confusing but easily acceptable to get the old spell names back. For the mostpart they all made sense and the names gave you an idea of what they did. Unlike now where it looks like they just up and copied Phantasy Star.

Bikill was the best. :black101:

Prism posted:

Who the hell is Ruff?

...they changed Gabo's name, didn't they.

Translators are required to make all the terrible puns they can.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I really like that Dragon Quest doesn't take itself too seriously, but I also liked that the protagonist in III learned Thordain rather than whatever it's called now. I prefer the spells, like the names of equipment you find, to sound a bit less self-aware than the rest of the game does.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unlike now where it looks like they just up and copied Phantasy Star.

How is Crack/Boom/Frazzle/Woosh/Buff in any way similar to Wat/Tsu/Foi/Brose/Remit, etc?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

my only objection to the new spell names is that i'm dumb and it's hard to remember what spell is what via onomatopoeia, beyond that they're totally fine and in-line with dq's tone

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Phantasy Star names are the best worst names and all y'all need to quit talking poo poo.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

How is Crack/Boom/Frazzle/Woosh/Buff in any way similar to Wat/Tsu/Foi/Brose/Remit, etc?

I'll do the ice spells.

Old way DW4:
Icebolt->Snowstorm->Icespears->Blizzard

Current DQ:
Crack->Crackle->Kacrack->Kacrackle

PSO example:
Barta->Gibarta->Rabarta

It is similar-ish enough that I see it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I'll do the ice spells.

Old way DW4:

Current DQ:

PSO example:
Barta->Gibarta->Rabarta

that's the same thing final fantasy (fire, fira, firaga) and smt (agi, agilao, agidyne) do, it's not unique to pso at all

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

The new newer spell translations are terrible and always have been. (Ka)Crack(le) is dumb as hell. Give me my goddamn Snowstorm, Ice Spears, and Blizzard spell names. Infernos was confusing but easily acceptable to get the old spell names back. For the mostpart they all made sense and the names gave you an idea of what they did. Unlike now where it looks like they just up and copied Phantasy Star.

All they did was take it one step closer to the Japanese names, which (for the offensive spells) all look like really silly nonsense words until you realize they're obfuscated versions of onomatopoeia related to the spell's element. The other spells are even worse, all using extremely non obvious wordplay to turn a word related to what the spell does into silly sounding gibberish. In any case, it's much less possible to know what a spell does by looking at its name than in any of the translations.

I'm all for translations in the spirit of the original, so thumbs up for turning the dumbed down names into something a little closer to the original intent.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

that's the same thing final fantasy (fire, fira, firaga) and smt (agi, agilao, agidyne) do, it's not unique to pso at all

But the post was about phantasy star and dragon quest so thats why my example was what it was.

That being said, I like phantasy star because the old school ps1 had you healing with hamburgers way before Mother/Earthbound. Also Monomate Dimate and Trimate. :mrgw:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I'll do the ice spells.

Old way DW4:

Current DQ:

PSO example:
Barta->Gibarta->Rabarta

Having never played the original versions, I'm perfectly fine with the current names in that they make sense to me, much like how they're similar to FF or SMT's naming schemes for their spell names.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
For the record, I wasn't griping about the current naming conventions. I think they're fine and I don't want to be one of those armchair localizers like in the Fire Emblem thread. I was just kvetching about the first world problem difficulties of discussing a game with someone based on the time period in which they played it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I would prefer classic DQ spell names come back, and they can give me FIRE, FIRE2, FIRE3, etc. over Fire, Fira, Firaga while they're at it

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The onomatopoeia names are good.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest Heroes is on Steam sale this weekend. Sell this game to me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's Dynasty Warriors with slimes

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You fight a dragon five minutes into the game.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

You can play as Alena, who is the coolest

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bikill was the best. :black101:

What the hell do they call Bikill in the translation? 'Cause it's called Baikilt in Japanese. I never really understood the one-foot in, one-foot out translation thing where they decide to translate most of the things one way that is completely different than the Japanese, but are direct on a few of them. Seems like both the old spells and the new ones are guilty of that for different spells. Just stick to one or the other, and use it consistently you fools!

As for puns, DQ in Japanese isn't necessarily a very punny game at all, with regards to how punny the Japanese language tends to be overall to English. It feels like what i've seen from the US localizations try way too hard sometimes. Especially DQ5 trying to for no good reason equate all the regions of the game with regions of the actual real world w/ speech mannerisms and such. I guess the English language writers feel the script is too dry, and like to resort to cheese to liven it up. I'd probably prefer it to be a bit dryer, but well written IMO.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

BabyRyoga posted:

What the hell do they call Bikill in the translation? 'Cause it's called Baikilt in Japanese. I never really understood the one-foot in, one-foot out translation thing where they decide to translate most of the things one way that is completely different than the Japanese, but are direct on a few of them. Seems like both the old spells and the new ones are guilty of that for different spells. Just stick to one or the other, and use it consistently you fools!

Oomph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Alena has the same name in both translations of DQIV, thus proving that she is the greatest character of the whole cast.