Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Markkei posted:

You can have more than one pet out, up to 4 I've read.

oh, drat, thats cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
may i suggest putting your money into a retirement fund? namaste

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Rafzakael posted:

oh, drat, thats cool

Not legitimately complaining about this, honestly I don't give a gently caress- But you will need to buy a few pets because they loot for you and reveal certain things based on their type. (The looting part specifically speeds up grinding)

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Blazing Zero posted:

may i suggest putting your money into a retirement fund? namaste

i already do! also hi friendo, how are you

hobocrunch posted:

Not legitimately complaining about this, honestly I don't give a gently caress- But you will need to buy a few pets because they loot for you and reveal certain things based on their type. (The looting part specifically speeds up grinding)

its not that different from other grindy bullshit games tbh, wakfu had it, ragnarok i think had it (or you had a blacksmith with greed), i really feel like aion or tera had it, its not even unusual to me anymore

i assume you can get a pet in-game somehow or they can be sold on the marketplace too so its not exactly pay to win, more pay to convenience

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Rafzakael posted:

its not that different from other grindy bullshit games tbh, wakfu had it, ragnarok i think had it (or you had a blacksmith with greed), i really feel like aion or tera had it, its not even unusual to me anymore

i assume you can get a pet in-game somehow or they can be sold on the marketplace too so its not exactly pay to win, more pay to convenience

Yeah but let's not start this argument here, I'm sure we all understand.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rafzakael posted:

Yeah you get 1 pet capable of looting once every ~5 seconds after you spend 5000 hours (~209 days) in game. They can not be transferred or sold by any means.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

hobocrunch posted:

Yeah but let's not start this argument here, I'm sure we all understand.

fair, yeah

i'm struggling to choose what i want to do on early launch, i could go through the story and get inventory slots and get to 50+, or i could do fishing, or i could be that nerd that levels horses aaaaa

kalstrams posted:

Yeah you get 1 pet capable of looting once every ~5 seconds after you spend 5000 hours (~209 days) in game. They can not be transferred or sold by any means.

nice, guess i'll be idle fishing all the time

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Rafzakael posted:

i already do! also hi friendo, how are you

im great and i hope this game treats you better than albion did :)

Rivv
Jul 13, 2005
Everything I do is motivated by stupidity
Any idea how friendly this game is to people who cannot play for 6 - 10 hours a day? While the life skills seem like a lot of fun, it seems like in PVP it all boils down to who plays more than the other.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rivv posted:

Any idea how friendly this game is to people who cannot play for 6 - 10 hours a day? While the life skills seem like a lot of fun, it seems like in PVP it all boils down to who plays more than the other.
Depends on how serious you are about the PvP. Sperglord consensus seems to be that 4 hours a day is "reasonable mandatory minimum", but that's sperglords playing their own game, which may be drastically different from what you have in mind for it.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Blazing Zero posted:

im great and i hope this game treats you better than albion did :)

albion was okay, it just came at the wrong time (new job/promotion, moving, wife pregnancy)

now that things are settled down a lot i have a bit more time to play games, tbh was thinking about giving albion another go around but i would be largely ineffective starting so late, i think

glad to hear you are well!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't play Albion, it's a poo poo game made by a Shitler of a person :shobon:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rivv posted:

idk, my rule of thumb on games with PvP is that you won't win 1 v 1s against someone that grinds gear hardcore, but in big PvP fights you can still be pretty useful

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

kalstrams posted:

Depends on how serious you are about the PvP. Sperglord consensus seems to be that 4 hours a day is "reasonable mandatory minimum", but that's sperglords playing their own game, which may be drastically different from what you have in mind for it.

Do you think thats mostly grinding for exp or making money for enchanting?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Stanley Pain posted:

Don't play Albion, it's a poo poo game made by a Shitler of a person :shobon:

w...what happened

i thought berc was a cool guy

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rafzakael posted:

w...what happened

i thought berc was a cool guy

Nothing, I just like hating on a bad game, with bad controls and...

That's not to say BDO is any better :q:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Stanley Pain posted:

Nothing, I just like hating on a bad game, with bad controls and...

That's not to say BDO is any better :q:

:shittypop:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LegalPad posted:

Do you think thats mostly grinding for exp or making money for enchanting?
That's overenchanting your enemy, for the most of it. Level/skillpoints are important, but not as important. Armchair theorycraft is that +2 enchantment advantage should negate any reasonable experience advantage.

However, that is relevant to small skirmish PvP. In large scale PvP only "hard check" on gear/level is your berserkers' ability to reach enemy frontline, rest will work out through the sheer numbers, unless every enemy overgears you and also happens to be 6 levels higher.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I have not looked into what is involved with the enchanting system yet. I only know what you guys have talked about here. I am almost afraid to look because I have seen how bad it is in other Asian MMOs, but let me just ask you guys this. Is better or worse than TERA's original enchanting system?

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Xavier434 posted:

I have not looked into what is involved with the enchanting system yet. I only know what you guys have talked about here. I am almost afraid to look because I have seen how bad it is in other Asian MMOs, but let me just ask you guys this. Is better or worse than TERA's original enchanting system?

http://blackdesertfoundry.com/2015/05/19/enchanting-and-sockets-guide/

edit: Link to more up to date guide.

crazystray fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 25, 2016

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

To enchant accessories you need to sacrifice an identical accessory. There's no safe enchant range. If you fail, both are destroyed.
:stonklol:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

The pvp part is nice and and all but his horse is so pretty oh my gosh i want one :syoon:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

I haven't played TERA so I'll just outline the system. You can upgrade armour and weapons to +15 (+20 eventually), jewellery and accessories to +5. That's 12 items you can enchant. Enchanting has 100% success rate until +7 for weapons, +5 for armour - no safe enchanting for accessories, at all. To enchant a weapon, you need a weapon blackstone, to enchant armour - an armour one, to enchant an accessory - same accessory (i.e. :eonwe: Ņavel Piercing is enchanted by applying another :eonwe: Navel Piercing to it). Once you're past safe levels on armour/weapons, you can apply multiple blackstones at once to get a 100% enchant success rate for the current step (that goes up to 250 stones per level), otherwise you just roll with the low-ish success rate. Each armour/weapon enchantment fail decreases item durability by 5 (iirc), 'forced enchanting' decreases maximum durability of an item by 10. Otherwise, feel free to fail enchanting armour/weapons, since I am not even sure if that 5 durability penalty is still in game - up to +15, you neither lose your item, nor do you lose enchantment levels. In fact, failing enchantments does apply a buff that increases the success rate of next enchantment, so if you fail +7 to +8 for 50 times, go and do +14 to +15 or something. Forced enchanting can also be used partially, say you want to roll with 50% because you can't be arsed to arm 100 more blackstones or something. Past +15, when that gets introduced, each failure will have chance to downgrade your weapon/armour enchantment level back down to +15, randomly. You get +1 to +15 blackstones by grinding mobs and doing daily quests (also crafting but you have to be insanely rich) (and quests don't give you a lot of them so woo! grinding). +16 to +20 "black spellstones" are obtained by combining fragments of black crystal, which you can get randomly through manual resource collection. You wonder what happens when you fail accessory enchanting? It's destroyed, permanently. Failure rate, compared to +14 to +15 (that's not more than 50 attempts on average), is extremely high. Hence, +3 jewellery could as well be replaced by you riding the Space Shuttle.

Oh, and crafting costumes can be enchanted too, by applying same costume piece; horse/boat/wagon gear can be enchanted too, with armour blackstones - neither has safe enchanting levels, maximum level is +10. There are some items, primarily quest gear, which cannot be enchanted.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

:shittypop:

nice, godking eonwe gets a cool smily

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Other than the accessories, that doesn't sound too bad I guess.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Xavier434 posted:

Yeah, it's not quite Korean++ level.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Xavier434 posted:

It actually is fairly tough to get good gear even up to +10, for a casual player.

Rivv
Jul 13, 2005

kalstrams posted:

I haven't played TERA so I'll just outline the system. You can upgrade armour and weapons to +15 (+20 eventually), jewellery and accessories to +5. That's 12 items you can enchant. Enchanting has 100% success rate until +7 for weapons, +5 for armour - no safe enchanting for accessories, at all. To enchant a weapon, you need a weapon blackstone, to enchant armour - an armour one, to enchant an accessory - same accessory (i.e. :eonwe: Ņavel Piercing is enchanted by applying another :eonwe: Navel Piercing to it). Once you're past safe levels on armour/weapons, you can apply multiple blackstones at once to get a 100% enchant success rate for the current step (that goes up to 250 stones per level), otherwise you just roll with the low-ish success rate. Each armour/weapon enchantment fail decreases item durability by 5 (iirc), 'forced enchanting' decreases maximum durability of an item by 10. Otherwise, feel free to fail enchanting armour/weapons, since I am not even sure if that 5 durability penalty is still in game - up to +15, you neither lose your item, nor do you lose enchantment levels. In fact, failing enchantments does apply a buff that increases the success rate of next enchantment, so if you fail +7 to +8 for 50 times, go and do +14 to +15 or something. Forced enchanting can also be used partially, say you want to roll with 50% because you can't be arsed to arm 100 more blackstones or something. Past +15, when that gets introduced, each failure will have chance to downgrade your weapon/armour enchantment level back down to +15, randomly. You get +1 to +15 blackstones by grinding mobs and doing daily quests (also crafting but you have to be insanely rich) (and quests don't give you a lot of them so woo! grinding). +16 to +20 "black spellstones" are obtained by combining fragments of black crystal, which you can get randomly through manual resource collection. You wonder what happens when you fail accessory enchanting? It's destroyed, permanently. Failure rate, compared to +14 to +15 (that's not more than 50 attempts on average), is extremely high. Hence, +3 jewellery could as well be replaced by you riding the Space Shuttle.

Oh, and crafting costumes can be enchanted too, by applying same costume piece; horse/boat/wagon gear can be enchanted too, with armour blackstones - neither has safe enchanting levels, maximum level is +10. There are some items, primarily quest gear, which cannot be enchanted.

Assuming the durability penalty is still in the game, is it permanent or can it be removed in some way?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rivv posted:

Assuming the durability penalty is still in the game, is it permanent or can it be removed in some way?
Well durability penalty is just the damage your item incurs, like regular wear, so just use another copy of that item to repair it. I am not sure if you can reverse the permanent durability reduction from forced enchanting, however.

Rivv
Jul 13, 2005

kalstrams posted:

Well durability penalty is just the damage your item incurs, like regular wear, so just use another copy of that item to repair it. I am not sure if you can reverse the permanent durability reduction from forced enchanting, however.

That doesn't seem too bad... it doesn't seem like forced enchanting makes much sense, but the system doesn't seem that insane.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
you use another piece of the same armor to repair it from failed enchant durability permadamage. you can repair it normally (from use) at any blacksmith, or an anvil in your house. you'll also need the knowledge of it (taught by 1000 affinity with most blacksmiths)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Since you need the same weapon or armor to repair the max durability from failed enchanting, the weapon and armor market should be just fine.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

lewtt posted:

you use another piece of the same armor to repair it from failed enchant durability permadamage. you can repair it normally (from use) at any blacksmith, or an anvil in your house. you'll also need the knowledge of it (taught by 1000 affinity with most blacksmiths)

are most blacksmiths under the hammer constellation or is it random?

i read somewhere that black dragon is the constellation of choice if you want the good stuff

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hmm, failing enchanting seems to also cause a maximum durability penalty of -5, instead of just damaging the item, and the repair with exact sme item restores the maximal durability. There's also a special item to restore maximal durability, for poo poo that's too rare to repai conventionally.

efb

I still don't remember -5 penalty from CBT2 though, despite failing gear enchantments.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Rafzakael posted:

are most blacksmiths under the hammer constellation or is it random?

i read somewhere that black dragon is the constellation of choice if you want the good stuff

dunno. i met a blacksmith who had the hammer zodiac, and another with the shield one

at first I heard "boat" was the best, then I heard "owl" was the best. then I heard that there were "incompatibilities" that gave lower affinity with certain other horoscopes. chinazodiac.jpg

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
gently caress you I choose goblin.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
All I know is that fuckin' no one's a goddamn camel.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Third World Reggin posted:

gently caress you I choose goblin.

there is also the speculation that zodiac choice increases your luck and enchanting chance, and goblins are "materialistic" so they would speculatively be very good

speculavariation

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

lewtt posted:

there is also the speculation that zodiac choice increases your luck and enchanting chance, and goblins are "materialistic" so they would speculatively be very good

speculavariation

no one would be anything but goblin if this were true

please god i hope it isn't true because i sure as hell don't want to find out after i've gotten a character made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
You all picked the pendant in Dark Souls just in case, didn't you.