Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Endbringer posted:

It's not the system man, it was her own unwillingness to co-operate with the police.

But I mean something must have gone wrong inside of her to make her act that way. Like, discount therapy and maybe drugs would be a good place to start once somebody in the system knows about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Ozz81 posted:

Grief is a hell of a thing, but the whole "finding someone at fault" mentality kills me. Especially nowadays with the abundance of frivolous lawsuits, I understand it's tough to lose a loved one but goddamn, wait until all the evidence is presented before jumping on emergency workers or assuming someone else hosed up. It's like the EMT version of tech support or help desk work - you fix someone's computer, something goes wrong a week later, and all of a sudden it's YOUR fault because YOU touched it last and must have broken it, no way the person could have screwed it up themselves, no sir.

Desperate people can also see a potential lawsuit as a way out of their current life.

A kid on a bike ran into my car. And I mean that - I was parked in my car, not moving, and the kid ran into my OTHER car. As in, he ran into a car I wasn't even inside.

Kid ended up having a concussion, all I knew was his leg was hurt and his mouth was bleeding. I literally picked him up and carried him to my car, threw his bike in the back, and got him to direct me to his house. He ended up taking an ambulance, I explained what had happened to the paramedic, gave his aunt my contact information so they could let me know what happened to him.

They showed up later that night with a police officer, talking about inconsistencies in statements I'd made, basically trying to get me to say that I backed into him, hoping to get a payday. Made me really sad, I didn't hit the kid, in fact I don't know if he would have made it home were I not there.

AND I had planned to lie to the insurance company and say that I had no idea who hit me to spare them from getting dinged by my insurance, but I couldn't do that now that there was a police report.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's hilariously sad or sadly hilarious, I can't tell which

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

YeahTubaMike posted:

Grieving people don't always make perfect sense.

Two years ago, a gal from my town was the driver in a horrible car accident that killed her and two of her friends instantly. A fourth passenger lived, but had broken bones I didn't even know humans had, and was in a coma for a while.

Holy moley, it was a tragedy, but according to her family and friends, everyone was at fault but the driver. It took the police a few days to finally release a report, and during that time (and even afterwards), social media was a raging firestorm of blame, with people screaming that it was the county's fault for not having safe enough roads, the state's fault for not culling the deer population (many people believed that a deer had jumped out in front of her despite no evidence of deer in the area of the crash), the auto manufacturer's fault for not making the car safer, the county's fault for not putting lighting up on rural roads (the crash occurred at 2:00 A.M. on a dirt back road north of town), and even the comatose fourth passenger's fault for not preventing his friends' deaths somehow.

From the outside, what happened was painfully obvious (but no less tragic). She'd had a history of DUI, there were numerous open alcohol containers in the vehicle, and police eventually released a statement revealing that her BAC was .22 (the legal limit is .08 in just about every jurisdiction in the U.S.) at the time of her death. She was driving drunk and flipped and rolled the car until what was left when it came to rest was unrecognizable as a motor vehicle. It was so bad that the local news wouldn't show it. Clearly, the fault was with the driver, who chose to drive drunk and ended three human lives.

But grief doesn't let people see clearly, or accept that their friend or daughter or coworker made a terrible mistake. Sometimes, even with time--the fourth passenger (who has enough metal rods, pins, and plates in him to legally be a cyborg, and is still undergoing physical therapy) decided to delete his social media accounts recently because people kept saying poo poo like "it's your fault, you should've died too" :smith:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ozz81 posted:

Grief is a hell of a thing, but the whole "finding someone at fault" mentality kills me. Especially nowadays with the abundance of frivolous lawsuits, I understand it's tough to lose a loved one but goddamn, wait until all the evidence is presented before jumping on emergency workers or assuming someone else hosed up. It's like the EMT version of tech support or help desk work - you fix someone's computer, something goes wrong a week later, and all of a sudden it's YOUR fault because YOU touched it last and must have broken it, no way the person could have screwed it up themselves, no sir.

The baffling thing was that I did not get the impression that they were after money or a lawsuit at all. They just seemed insane from grief and tried to find any rationalizations for why their son and his fiance died.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Its an extremely common state to find oneself in immediately after the sudden death of a loved one. People aren't able to affect any kind of change that will bring their loved one back, so instead that drive is transmuted into a desire to 'solve' the reason for their death. I always imagined it had something to do with the inability to handle the grief in such a short amount of time, so they immediately get stuck on the Denial stage and constantly redirect their attention towards any external force that may have been the cause. My mother did the same thing when my grandmother died; blaming the hospital nurses/doctors for negligence, etc.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

DandyLion posted:

Its an extremely common state to find oneself in immediately after the sudden death of a loved one. People aren't able to affect any kind of change that will bring their loved one back, so instead that drive is transmuted into a desire to 'solve' the reason for their death. I always imagined it had something to do with the inability to handle the grief in such a short amount of time, so they immediately get stuck on the Denial stage and constantly redirect their attention towards any external force that may have been the cause.

Isn't that pretty much how M.A.D.D. and D.A.R.E. came about? Someone's kid was killed by a drunk driver / OD'd on drugs so they started an organization to stop it happening to someone else, etc.?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Karma Monkey posted:

Isn't that pretty much how M.A.D.D. and D.A.R.E. came about? Someone's kid was killed by a drunk driver / OD'd on drugs so they started an organization to stop it happening to someone else, etc.?
To be fair, when MADD was founded in ~1980 drinking and driving was considered totally normal and acceptable, there were only laws and norms against driving while severely intoxicated rather than the standard .08 BAC limit we have in the US today. Interestingly, I just learned that the founder of MADD quit in 1985 because of their shifting focus against alcohol use in general rather than drunk driving.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's also how Batman got started.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Celery Face posted:

Filmrise recently uploaded a bunch of Forensic Files episodes. I've been waiting to post a few of the more unnerving ones.

An upper class recluse murders his entire family in the early 70's and goes on the run for 18 years. He is caught with the help of a very talented Forensic artist.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_List
:nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRjZ9YhtTyQ:nws:

Two kids die in a suspicious house fire shortly after their mother goes missing. Decades later, the surviving daughter comes forward with the reason for the fire and her mom's disappearance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76WBnLT386k

An old farmer employs a bunch of drifters to participate in a scam that involves buying cattle with bad checks. Whenever the cops try to track down the drifters, they are nowhere to be found.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_and_Faye_Copeland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QLTEMYZoGs

Mentally slow deckhand escapes a sinking shrimp trawler while the captain gets his foot caught in some net and goes down with the ship. The deckhand later confesses that he killed the captain with a pipe for the last life jacket on board. It doesn't end there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VUfJ2Qy7DI

Oh wow, thank you for this cool post! List sounds like such an rear end in a top hat, and I love the smackdown the judge gave.

Also fair warning: the first video has photos of dead, somewhat bloody bodies so be careful if you're not into seeing those things. They are in black and white so it cuts down on the grimness, but it's still pretty chilling.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Sorry to double post, but convicting the wife sounds like such bullshit. The guy was clearly an abusive murderer! What was she supposed to do but keep her head down and obey a guy who had no problem murdering, and beating his kids and wife? Maybe there was some evidence not mentioned in the brief half hour, but I don't think there was anything to convict her on. The piece of paper with her handwriting isn't much since it was said in the beginning the husband couldn't write, so he had others managing the paperwork poo poo.

poo poo, between the mentally disabled man nearly convicted for murder, I'm just angry and flustered at this justice system :T

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Real-life unnerving:

Somebody has now done a plug-in widget that tracks the latest American mass shooting. I saw it embedded in a Kansas City newspaper.
Link to page; note </> icon at top right to get widget.

A loving plug-in widget, because you know you'll need it again.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Is there a different kind of unnerving?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

darkhand posted:

Is there a different kind of unnerving?

More "de-nerving" but sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1MTs9-29ds

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Aesop Poprock posted:

More "de-nerving" but sure

No no no nope no no no no

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Wow tha'ts batter than pimple popping. Need a smoke now.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

YeahTubaMike posted:

Grieving people don't always make perfect sense.

It doesn't help that, in US criminal cases involving third parties, grief sort of gets conflated with expertise. See: brother Halbach in Making a Murderer.

Anyway, I've been reading about the Mt. St. Helens eruption a bunch lately, and I just found this detail:

some website posted:

When Mount St. Helens erupted on May 18, 1980, photographer Robert Landsberg was documenting the changes in the volcano from just a few miles away. Realizing that he couldn’t possibly outrun the approaching ash cloud, he kept shooting for as long as he could before using his body to preserve his film.

He managed to rewind the film back into its case, replace his camera in its bag, put the bag in his backpack, and then lay himself on top of the backpack in an attempt to protect its contents. Seventeen days later, Landsberg’s body was found buried in the ash with his backpack underneath. The film could be developed and has provided geologists with valuable documentation of the historic eruption.

and here's the highest quality one of those I could find

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That's sad, but also really noble at the same time. I'm sure I'd totally lose it in that situation so I'm always really impressed by stories where someone has the presence of mind to use the last moments they have to as much utility as they can.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Could you even imagine having the presence of mind to stay rational enough to make that decision? I fear I wouldn't be able to claw out of the animalistic depths of terror i'd be drowning in (not to mention the ash) before having the clarity to realize my eminent demise and safeguard some value in my death.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DandyLion posted:

Could you even imagine having the presence of mind to stay rational enough to make that decision? I fear I wouldn't be able to claw out of the animalistic depths of terror i'd be drowning in (not to mention the ash) before having the clarity to realize my eminent demise and safeguard some value in my death.

I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to even realize I didn't have a chance. I'd have just took off running in the opposite direction until I couldn't run anymore or the ash overtook me(within about 5 minutes I'm sure).

Its easy to glance at those pictures and miss the scale of what's happening. Then you see the road, and follow it back to the tree-line, and you realize just how huge that cloud is.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Soylent Green is unnerving. Not the police procedural whodunnit aspect, but the setting- an overpopulated future with a severely diminished quality of life, and not enough food. The idea that Soylent Green is people is honestly less disturbing to me than the fact that in the film's future the oceans have ceased to contain plankton- this essentially means the complete breakdown of the Earth's ecosystems has already taken place and it's only a matter of time before humanity itself becomes extinct. Soylent Green is like the future immediate of The Road. From an anthropological standpoint, cannibalism represents the total collapse of society and height of desperation when humans begin to eat eachother.

e: ^^ the Robert Landsburg thing is really neat too

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Basebf555 posted:

I doubt I'd have the presence of mind to even realize I didn't have a chance. I'd have just took off running in the opposite direction until I couldn't run anymore or the ash overtook me(within about 5 minutes I'm sure).

Its easy to glance at those pictures and miss the scale of what's happening. Then you see the road, and follow it back to the tree-line, and you realize just how huge that cloud is.

People's fear responses sometime just loop back around to doing their automatic responses.

When I was a teen-ager, I was taking pictures of the swollen creek next to my neighborhood after a week of heavy rain; the bank was actually undercut and gave way beneath me. I held my camera out of the water for a while until I realized I was not breathing and my head wasn't above water. Even after realizing the very real prospect of dying, I kept trying to keep my camera dry while attempting to swim to the bank, and I was swept a quarter mile down the creek. I was eventually able to pull myself out, and I kept my camera mostly working, but it eventually succumbed to water damage.

I can imagine to some extent this photographers reaction to the situation at hand; in my case, it actually gave me something to focus on instead of panicking with what I was sure was going to be my death.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Wasabi the J posted:

People's fear responses sometime just loop back around to doing their automatic responses.

When I was a teen-ager, I was taking pictures of the swollen creek next to my neighborhood after a week of heavy rain; the bank was actually undercut and gave way beneath me. I held my camera out of the water for a while until I realized I was not breathing and my head wasn't above water. Even after realizing the very real prospect of dying, I kept trying to keep my camera dry while attempting to swim to the bank, and I was swept a quarter mile down the creek. I was eventually able to pull myself out, and I kept my camera mostly working, but it eventually succumbed to water damage.

I can imagine to some extent this photographers reaction to the situation at hand; in my case, it actually gave me something to focus on instead of panicking with what I was sure was going to be my death.

What gets me about photo journalists and news camera operators is how they can be so focused on what they're shooting that they imperil themselves to the extreme, and are seriously injured or killed shooting footage.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

china bot posted:

It doesn't help that, in US criminal cases involving third parties, grief sort of gets conflated with expertise. See: brother Halbach in Making a Murderer.

Anyway, I've been reading about the Mt. St. Helens eruption a bunch lately, and I just found this detail:

Kind of reminds me the last photo of Robert F. Read
There's another I've seen but can't find that is similar, where a WWII photographer captures an incoming shell aboard a ship that is basically his last photo but I've never been able to refind it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Wasabi the J posted:

I think it's also because to a certain point, you deny the possibility of your death when it comes to life-or-death situations. So it becomes weighing mild inconvenience or injury (actually death, but you can't process that) versus the value of your camera/car/computer/etc. that is difficult to repair or replace.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Karma Monkey posted:

What gets me about photo journalists and news camera operators is how they can be so focused on what they're shooting that they imperil themselves to the extreme, and are seriously injured or killed shooting footage.

Not exactly the same thing, but a Phillipino politician managed to capture a picture of his assassin while photographing his family. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343945/Reynaldo-Dagsa-snaps-Michael-Gonzales-family-photo-shot-dead-seconds-later.html

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

china bot posted:

Volcanologists are a different breed. A mountain is erupting? They do whatever it takes to be on the edge of the crater, and so long as they themselves aren't engulfed in lava, they're happy. They're happy to survive eruptions they're walking through. My sister was a volcanologist who loved both St Helens (she climbed it a couple of times) and the Hawaiian volcanoes. Her husband had to sneak onto a part of St Helens to scatter her ashes.

No, it was cancer, not a volcano.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Harold Stassen posted:

From an anthropological standpoint, cannibalism represents the total collapse of society and height of desperation when humans begin to eat eachother.

Uhhh not really? I mean you can point to it as a collapse of morals and restrictive taboos in society that normal forbids it as they struggle to survive but many societies have cannibalism represented in some way with out collapsing.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Uhhh not really? I mean you can point to it as a collapse of morals and restrictive taboos in society that normal forbids it as they struggle to survive but many societies have cannibalism represented in some way with out collapsing.

Typically ritual cannibalism. If humans actually become a major food source that is unsustainable.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Can you name a single cannibalistic society or culture (outside Papua New Guinea) that continues today?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Harold Stassen posted:

Can you name a single cannibalistic society or culture (outside Papua New Guinea) that continues today?

:v: The Vatican!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Harold Stassen posted:

The Aghori of India

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Harold Stassen posted:

How about I name cannibalistic societies that fell at no fault of their own, so white people loving things up and changing poo poo does not count.The Maori practiced ritual cannibalism of their enemies, bunch of Polynesian cultures did so. But yeah also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannibalism for ones that around today.
And this is kinda a lovely list that only factors in endocannibalism.

The Lone Badger posted:

Typically ritual cannibalism. If humans actually become a major food source that is unsustainable.

Yup, this is correct. My argument is that consuming people is not a sign of societal collapse. And describing it as such from an "anthropological standpoint" is dumb as hell and I don't think he knows what those words mean.

Telsa Cola has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Feb 27, 2016

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

There was a post here, it is no longer.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

RNG posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but a Phillipino politician managed to capture a picture of his assassin while photographing his family. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1343945/Reynaldo-Dagsa-snaps-Michael-Gonzales-family-photo-shot-dead-seconds-later.html

This isn't getting quite enough attention. This photo is deeply unsettling to me. This guy, presumably, has no idea he's recording his own murder.

Did they catch the assassin?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This isn't getting quite enough attention. This photo is deeply unsettling to me. This guy, presumably, has no idea he's recording his own murder.

Did they catch the assassin?
Cmon dawg you didn't give the article enough attention.

quote:

The gunman was soon identified as Michael Gonzales, also known by the underworld name of Fubo of Fish Pond Area 1. He was arrested soon afterwards when the district councillor's family handed the camera to police.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Cage posted:

Cmon dawg you didn't give the article enough attention.

Wow I was so horrified by the photo I didn't even notice the link. Thanks.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Bernard Fall, the journalist who wrote "Hell in a Very Small Place" and "Street Without Joy", was covering a operation by US Marines in 1967 and was dictating to a tape recorder when he was killed by a landmine. The recording goes from 3:25 to around 7 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNE4p8nmnQ

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

How about I name cannibalistic societies that fell at no fault of their own, so white people loving things up and changing poo poo does not count.The Maori practiced ritual cannibalism of their enemies, bunch of Polynesian cultures did so. But yeah also https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannibalism for ones that around today.
And this is kinda a lovely list that only factors in endocannibalism.

Yup, this is correct. My argument is that consuming people is not a sign of societal collapse. And describing it as such from an "anthropological standpoint" is dumb as hell and I don't think he knows what those words mean.

Syllables hurt head? Look it up.

drat white people loving it up for the noble cannibals

Today we salute forums poster savage Telsa Cola or "People-Eater" for actually defending cannibalism as a product of a functional, healthy society that DEFINITELY does not signify the total breakdown of social mores and agricultural/hunting-gathering processes :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Harold Stassen posted:

Today we salute forums poster savage Telsa Cola or "People-Eater" for actually defending cannibalism as a product of a functional, healthy society that DEFINITELY does not signify the total breakdown of social mores and agricultural/hunting-gathering processes :laugh:

You can definitely have a healthily-functioning society that includes ritual cannibalism. It's not necessarily a good idea (especially if you don't cook them really well), but it's hardly One Certain Sign of Doom.