Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Slavvy posted:

I thought GM got bailed, Ford saved themselves and Chrysler got nothing? Technically they aren't in business anymore, they're a subsidiary of fiat.

GM & Chrysler got government money. Both paid back their loans (mostly). Fiat bought Chrysler (suckers!) and GM had to shed Pontiac, Saturn, Hummer, and SAAB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

KozmoNaut posted:

I'm the angry windshield wipers.

Myeah see? Myeah

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
That's pretty emblematic of "boring old person restomod" to me. It's lame and poo poo, but it probably makes the guy super happy and 63 year olds don't want to gently caress with soaking a block in penetrating oil for a month before they can get it to turn over

Terrible car stuff:

Found out my 540's windshield had been replaced in the past and it was being held in with nothing but black silicone. Ugh. Shadetrees.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I'm the droopy titty headlights.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, if I'm doing a restomod on a car with no easy, affordable source of parts for the original engine, you're goddamned right I'm shoving an LS in there. It's cheap, fairly reliable, and everyone and their dog has parts to make it it.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The performance potential of a 3- main bearing non-crossflow (and quite possibly a flathead, but I think that they advertised valve-in-head at the time; could be getting confused with Humber) straight six designed before the introduction of leaded road fuel shouldn't be underestimated. Why, I'll wager that with a suitable carburettor and a bit of timing it'll knock any LS you name into a cocked hat. Anyone who thinks otherwise probably also drank the kool-aid on modern junk like fuel injection doing something other than robbing power and breaking down, too.

And let's not get started on the masterpiece that is the original 3-speed constant mesh gearbox with a cork clutch.

e: yep, it was a flatty.

IPCRESS fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 25, 2016

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The most depressed car face ever

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

~Collector's Edition~

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

~Collector's Edition~

Wrong thread. The Junkman and Deadline Auto Theft are awesome.

Here's the Junkman's trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0SrTEeSqM0 I mean come on.

BoostCreep fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Feb 25, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

8ender posted:

This has been mentioned a few times after I posted this and I don't understand the point. When you're at the point of manually shifting an automatic because it's so terrible at not unloading the rear end and sending you to a snowy death, then you might as well just have the manual.

The reason I brought it up was the last guy's argument of autos sucking in winter because of constant gear shifting. That's what low gears are for, to stop the trans from constantly shifting into other gears for better control. Not that hard of a concept and even in my car with terrible snow and ice and not the best all-seasons, I still manage to not wreck or lose control. Plus I don't use the low gears all the time, only in bad weather during winter when roads are sketchy...but maybe I'm in the minority of people who know what the gently caress they're doing behind the wheel.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 25, 2016

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

BoostCreep posted:

Wrong thread. The Junkman and Deadline Auto Theft are awesome.

Here's the Junkman's trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0SrTEeSqM0 I mean come on.

If you don't watch that from 1:00 on you may be a little dead inside.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fuckin idiots man.

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/02/nissans-connected-car-app-offline-after-shocking-vulnerability-revealed/

quote:

When a Leaf owner connects to their car via a smartphone, the only information that Nissan's APIs use to target the car is its VIN—the requests are all anonymous.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LMAO
Also, author is an AI poster

edit:

Mr-Spain posted:

If you don't watch that from 1:00 on you may be a little dead inside.
They probably put the best scene in the trailer.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 25, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DiscoVette can't outrun full-size Dodge police cars: Most authentic car chase ever filmed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KozmoNaut posted:

~Collector's Edition~

There's a sequel to GISS???

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

There's a reason you haven't heard of it.

Also, I'm amazed no one recognized the Bricklin SV-1.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

There's a sequel to GISS???

Sort of. GISS2 wasn't ever really finished and Deadline is like a mashed together version of stuff from GISS, Junkman, and some new stuff. Halicki died during GISS2.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

CharlesM posted:

LMAO
Also, author is an AI poster

*waves*

I am literally astonished that they thought having a connnected car app that could control vehicles remotely with no authorization at all was a good idea. Our audience has been a bit more anti-connected cars than me in the past, but these days I'm with them. I just don't see the benefits right now outweighing the security risk.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KozmoNaut posted:

There's a reason you haven't heard of it.

I noticed the Bricklin but thought it was a trick somehow... :D

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

drgitlin posted:

*waves*

I am literally astonished that they thought having a connnected car app that could control vehicles remotely with no authorization at all was a good idea. Our audience has been a bit more anti-connected cars than me in the past, but these days I'm with them. I just don't see the benefits right now outweighing the security risk.

I'm doing a class right now about current tech issues; I'll probably use the Leaf article and assorted articles about the Jeep hack as source material. It's pretty drat scary just how B*A*D auto companies are at IT security.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

drgitlin posted:

*waves*

If only there was a large globe spanning mesh of interconnected computers they could use as an example/testbed of why security and authentication in communications is important. One with 40 years of research and study behind it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

xzzy posted:

If only there was a large globe spanning mesh of interconnected computers they could use as an example/testbed of why security and authentication in communications is important. One with 40 years of research and study behind it.

gently caress that audi have a twitter feed in the A6 we need a competing package ASAP.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That can be extended to "if only anyone considered security" - even the kind of people (wannabe hackers/"makers", etc) who really should understand network security do stupid loving poo poo like wifi enabled LED lightbulbs that can be exploited to get your wifi credentials.

Basically everything can be owned and no one is secure and it's because every "software developer", "embedded systems developer", and "IT solutions architect" has their head a mile up their arse when it comes to security.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

kastein posted:

That can be extended to "if only anyone considered security" - even the kind of people (wannabe hackers/"makers", etc) who really should understand network security do stupid loving poo poo like wifi enabled LED lightbulbs that can be exploited to get your wifi credentials.

Basically everything can be owned and no one is secure and it's because every "software developer", "embedded systems developer", and "IT solutions architect" has their head a mile up their arse when it comes to security.

Sorry dude.

*puts your password in plaintext in a mysql db*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just because everything can be owned doesn't mean a valid response is "gently caress it, we're screwed anyway so we won't bother."

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Safety Dance posted:

Sorry dude.

*puts your password in plaintext in a mysql 5.1 db*

Made that worse for you

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ha ha no one uses mysql anymore. It's nosql, gotta have that poo poo open to everyone as default config!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Read after write consistency is just a fad.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm glad that the security side it someone else's problem. I'm not nearly creative enough to be a good security guy.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xzzy posted:

Just because everything can be owned doesn't mean a valid response is "gently caress it, we're screwed anyway so we won't bother."

I think you misunderstood me - I'm mad at all the idiots making this kind of insecure nonsense, not suggesting that it's OK.

I'm just noting that all the emperors have no clothes, not just the ones we're currently mad at.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

xzzy posted:

Ha ha no one uses mysql anymore. It's nosql, gotta have that poo poo open to everyone as default config!

MONGODB IS WEB SCALE.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Mangodb is far higher performance than mongodb though, and has the same likelihood of data loss.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

That's the only reason I know of those movies.

Deadline Auto Theft trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3RRarogKs

"DO YOU SEE THAT BRICKLIN!?"

Unintentional comedy gold.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Did they reuse the exact same jump footage from 60 seconds in that trailer?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They sure did. If you pay attention there's a deathproof-style brief flicker of the GISS titles just before DEADLINE appears right at the start.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spotted on reddit. :ughh:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm okay with this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Better than the usual anime chick with short skirt and questionable exposure.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I love the actual photo they used, but it looks like a giant bruise on the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

xzzy posted:

This is great