Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^ Sandoval's not just a hispanic Republican, he was considered a rising star and possibly the hispanic Republican to point at to bring in other hispanics. Instead the rightwing of the party sees him as a traitorous RINO because he doesn't walk the line without question. :laugh:

It's masterful on many levels and only makes Democrats mad in the least likely of cases:
If Sandoval appointment hearings are blocked then it demonstrates to the public that the GOP are obstructionist dicks.
If Sandoval appointment hearings go forward and he's voted down then the GOP looks like obstructionist dicks in that case too.
If Sandoval is actually appointed to the court it removes someone from politics who Dems might have had trouble beating in the future.

I think Obama's calculation is that the appointment probably won't actually go through so he's gonna take the opportunity to make the GOP look bad during an election year in order to increase the chances of the vacancy being filled with an appointment by the next Dem POTUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ErIog posted:

It's masterful on many levels and only makes Democrats mad in the least likely of cases:
If Sandoval appointment hearings are blocked then it demonstrates to the public that the GOP are obstructionist dicks.
If Sandoval appointment hearings go forward and he's voted down then the GOP looks like obstructionist dicks in that case too.
If Sandoval is actually appointed to the court it removes someone from politics who Dems might have had trouble beating in the future.

I think Obama's calculation is that the appointment probably won't actually go through so he's gonna take the opportunity to make the GOP look bad during an election year in order to increase the chances of the vacancy being filled with an appointment by the next Dem POTUS.

He's doing a whole lot of that just by the fact that Sandoval being vetted got leaked. Republicans come out and say they don't give a poo poo if it's the Republican Governor of Nevada, they ain't confirming poo poo. Everyone looks at them funny and asks if they're sure about that, Senate Republicans angrily yell in the affirmative. The base is livid at this Sandoval rear end in a top hat who is traitorously helping the Traitor In Chief. Trollbama and Reed laugh as they turn another page in the binder full of judges.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PleasingFungus posted:

Here's something a little funny. (Apologies if it was posted already.)

The immediate next post was nice too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PleasingFungus posted:

SCOTUS Thread 2016: It Was Evilweasel In The Bedroom With the Pillow

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

So Obama found a stealth moderate Republican, and not only that, a Hispanic when the Republicans are trying desperately to increase their credibility on being an inclusive party this year.

This is shrewd politics, is all I'm saying.

This is coming from the same President who nominated John Huntsman as his ambassador to China, effectively destroying his political career. Obama is really Machiavellian when it comes to appointments.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Back to square one.

https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/status/702923723188387842

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PleasingFungus posted:

Haha wow, forgot all about that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Well, that'll be a handy cudgel for the next year.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

I wonder what the RNC held over him? Affair? Gambling addiction? Cocaine? A wide stance?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Damnit Sandoval. :sigh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Fox Ironic posted:

I wonder what the RNC held over him? Affair? Gambling addiction? Cocaine? A wide stance?

That he wouldn't get confirmed and would spend a year getting trashed by his own party.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Evil Fluffy posted:

Damnit Sandoval. :sigh:

Meh, he already served his purpose. Multiple GOP Senators are now on record saying they wouldn't have held a hearing for him. The damage is already done.

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

evilweasel posted:

That he wouldn't get confirmed and would spend a year getting trashed by his own party.

Nah, I think it would have gone through if it got to that point. Declining to confirm a Republican is a bluff. They had to have some dirt on him to get him to withdraw before even being offered like that.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Unzip and Attack posted:

Meh, he already served his purpose. Multiple GOP Senators are now on record saying they wouldn't have held a hearing for him. The damage is already done.

No one is going to remember that in nine months.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I can't see anyone caring come election day that a guy like Sandoval was under unofficial consideration for one day in February. Maybe if this process repeats itself several more times?

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Slate Action posted:

I can't see anyone caring come election day that a guy like Sandoval was under unofficial consideration for one day in February. Maybe if this process repeats itself several more times?

What other Moderate Republicans could Obama tap?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Agronox posted:

No one is going to remember that in nine months.

I disagree. That Republicans were unwilling to put one of their own governors on the Supreme Court is a new level in lunacy. I'm not saying this will tip the election or anything, but we're reaching new levels of insanity here.

This will be so delicious when Clinton gets to nominate a liberal next year. The GOP are so heads-up-rear end that they blew a chance to have a 52 year old anti-labor moderate on the Court. Now they'll get a progressive instead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^
"While Hilary Clinton may have been elected President the people have still elected Republicans as the majority party in the Senate and as such we will respect their wishes by only confirming a Justice whose views reflect America's and not President Clinton's liberal agenda." - The GOP on November 6th 2016 if Clinton wins

I'm sure some media will contact Sandoval and ask him why he removed himself from consideration when he's apparently said in the past that he'd like to return to the bench. Maybe he just figured that staying in this means the party will openly oppose him at all turns as governor and it'd put him and the state's operation at too much risk?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 25, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Fox Ironic posted:

Nah, I think it would have gone through if it got to that point. Declining to confirm a Republican is a bluff. They had to have some dirt on him to get him to withdraw before even being offered like that.

I think he just decided to put party in front of the supreme court. He realised he was being used as a weapon against fellow republicans so he threw himself on the sword to kill the media attention.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^
"While Hilary Clinton may have been elected President the people have still elected Republicans as the majority party in the Senate and as such we will respect their wishes by only confirming a Justice whose views reflect America's and not President Clinton's liberal agenda." - The GOP on November 6th 2016 if Clinton wins

It is virtually impossible that Clinton wins the general without the Dems retaking a Senate majority.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Slate Action posted:

They'll remember because it'll be an oft repeated example of how crazy the Senate is. poo poo, they won't just not hold meetings on (actual Obama nominee(s)) but they refused to even consider the Republican Obama was looking at to start with.

Bel_Canto posted:

It is virtually impossible that Clinton wins the general without the Dems retaking a Senate majority.

Nah, it's way easier for Clinton to win the Presidency than for the Democrats to win back the Senate. Clinton can drop a bunch of states that Obama carried and which contain vulnerable Republican Senators and still win in the Electoral College.

What would be hard would be for Trump/Cruz/Rubio to win the Presidency while the Dems take back the Senate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bel_Canto posted:

That's not the case. The Democrats will probably win the Senate if they win the Presidency, but it requires basically running the table on winnable races. There's always a reasonable chance one of the candidates shoots themselves in the foot.

edit: and yeah, Clinton has a lot of room to underperform Obama but still win.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fox Ironic posted:

What other Moderate Republicans could Obama tap?

Posner, Kozinski...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Killer robot posted:

At the same time, it's pretty easy to argue that what he shredded was the ability of predominantly rich home solar buyers to get big tax breaks effectively at the cost of poorer users stuck on the grid. Heavy artificial incentives for home solar are a lot less cut and dry than those for solar in general, and becoming rapidly less necessary as the equipment costs drop so much.

The boom in solar the past few years has been due to the rise of solar leases and $0 down financing. You can literally just sign a contract, pay $0, and have your total electricity bill cut in half or more. 75% of all solar installs today are this very setup, solar is not just a "rich home buyer" thing anymore.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Slate Action posted:

Might work as an ad in Nevada, though.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Posner, Kozinski...

Both of them would be the oldest judges ever nominated. Posner is only three years younger than Scalia.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Actus Rhesus for SCOTUS. Good luck republicans, refusing a tough on crime former JAG.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

AR can kinda still be a jag sometimes...

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FCKGW posted:

The boom in solar the past few years has been due to the rise of solar leases and $0 down financing. You can literally just sign a contract, pay $0, and have your total electricity bill cut in half or more. 75% of all solar installs today are this very setup, solar is not just a "rich home buyer" thing anymore.

Everyone getting full retail credit for solar power put back on the grid is not sustainable if electric utilities are required to run at a profit or breakeven so that boom is unsustainable. I mean unless the government massively expands subsidy programs but republicans aren't going to do that any time soon. I would expect most of these deals to crash and burn well before the breakeven period is over.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Nominate Remedy/Remedial for justice. He'd never make it in a million years but the hearings would be the stuff of legends.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Actus Rhesus for SCOTUS. Good luck republicans, refusing a tough on crime former JAG.

Miranda Warnings replaced with a 1-prong "well shouldn't the accused have watched Law and Order at least once in their life" test.

Improper purpose determination for abortion clinic regulations done by asking counsel to pinky swear that they're trying to keep mothers healthy and safe.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Corek posted:

Both of them would be the oldest judges ever nominated. Posner is only three years younger than Scalia.

Not saying they'd be good choices, just that they're moderate Republicans

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Miranda Warnings replaced with a 1-prong "well shouldn't the accused have watched Law and Order at least once in their life" test.

Improper purpose determination for abortion clinic regulations done by asking counsel to pinky swear that they're trying to keep mothers healthy and safe.

I still remember that second one and get irritated.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
If Obama really wanted to troll the poo poo out of republicans he could nominate Trumps sister. :getin:

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

If Obama really wanted to troll the poo poo out of republicans he could nominate Trumps sister. :getin:

If he really wanted to troll them he'd nominate O'Connor again. Watch the people who confirmed her previously squirm as they try to justify not wanting to confirm her again.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

A Winner is Jew posted:

Nominate McConnell then pull the nomination before there's a vote. Cite disturbing evidence that has been brought to your attention by Harry Reid.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
DOW Chemical settles $800 million lawsuit because Scalia won't slob their knob if it goes to SCOTUS.

:getin:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mmmm... Yes. Justice is blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Round 2:

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/703372250142121985