Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Well that was pretty drat dark, even for Sunny, and yeah its basically a cartoon now, but whatever, I still think it works even if its quite a bit different from the earlier seasons of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Dennis also made a comment to the two girls that they'd end up on the 'weird website' if they kept acting like they were, which I took to be an implication that Dennis does have some other website with women he's kidnapped/done god knows what to

I'm pretty sure I said it here on the night the HS reunion episode aired, but if this series doesn't end with Dennis going to jail forever, something's wrong

also I do think parts of the episode were funny (all the stuff with Mac and the gay bar was good) but the scene with Dennis and the girls was pretty grim and uncomfortable

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

nasboat posted:

Dennis also made a comment to the two girls that they'd end up on the 'weird website' if they kept acting like they were, which I took to be an implication that Dennis does have some other website with women he's kidnapped/done god knows what to

I'm pretty sure I said it here on the night the HS reunion episode aired, but if this series doesn't end with Dennis going to jail forever, something's wrong

also I do think parts of the episode were funny (all the stuff with Mac and the gay bar was good) but the scene with Dennis and the girls was pretty grim and uncomfortable

Dennis also locked the doors, for the implication.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Tenzarin posted:

Or he just didn't want another god drat Wild Card jumping out the back of a moving vehicle

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

It looked more like he just bought an actual police van, which are designed so they can't be opened from the inside. Since Dennis seemed surprised by the fact that the doors were locked from the outside it just seems more like an implication that Dennis just didn't think it through.

Especially considering his complaints about Dee's Irish stereotypes, despite the fact that his plan was named after anti-Irish slur, and he thought it was a great name to attract customers on St. Patrick's day (A lot of Irish-Americans aren't exactly fans of the phrase 'Paddy Wagon.')

Edit: This episode is probably my favorite episode so far of the season, since it didn't feel like a rehash or sequel of earlier episodes, relying on callbacks, or 80s nostalgia. It was a pretty funny self contained story where the jokes came from the gang acting like the gang.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 25, 2016

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Fantastic episode. Keep em coming.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the only part i was disappointed with was that the titular leprechaun was an actual little person

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Didn't you see him fly away on the rainbow?

I've been watching a lot of old episodes and the show has been a cartoon since season 4. Even before that, the show has always been goofy.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
This is one of the darkest eps they've done but I got some good laughs out of it.

The season is winding down. Wonder if there will be consequences for this in the finale.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At the very beginning I didn't think it was going to work. The idea seemed like it would be lame and how could they possibly follow last week's episode? It quickly became amazing.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I have no idea how anyone could hate this episode.

My favorite part was how Dennis takes two good ideas (selling beer out of a truck and being paid to give people rides to bars), ruins them both by combining them, and then just starts robbing people.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I thought that was one of the best episodes so far this season, right up there with Suburbs.

I liked how they probably would've made a lot of money if they just stayed at the bar and served customers. The placed looked packed.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

CODChimera posted:

I liked how they probably would've made a lot of money if they just stayed at the bar and served customers. The placed looked packed.

Yeah. The gang has never been one for giving up doing their own hosed up stuff in order to make a profit. They tipped too quickly.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Seeing how batshit this episode was really makes the complaints about the unrealistic courtroom drama of last week's episode seem even more pedantic, the gang just ran an armed robbery rink and had charlie kidnap and assault a little person which I'm pretty sure it a hate crime.

Alternatively, the gang is still coasting on their status as heroes of the city of philadelphia on account of them bringing to justice that serial killer back in season 3, who knows.

Gonna have to rewatch the episode but my first impression leaned towards "didn't love it".

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
Loved the way they kidnapped and robbed people without dwelling on it. Charlie and Mac plot seemed like they couldnt come up with anything better and only just about redeemed it with the impending torture. Lacking all subtlty with the mac gay jokes now is getting boring.

They should all have been in the paddy wagon. Dont know why they felt the need to split mac and charlie off for the poo poo leprechaun stuff. It wasnt a bad idea but the writing just didnt work for me.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
The only thing I didn't like about this is that I find it hard to believe Charlie's seen Reservoir Dogs. Otherwise season 11 continues to be way better than it has any right to be.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why wouldn't he have seen it?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Charlie is a bit of a film connoisseur.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It would be hard to believe someone HASN'T seen Reservoir Dogs.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

He did the Jaws speech too so it isn't unprecedented for him to copy movies

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
And are you guys forgetting the time he went full Serpico?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He's also a fan of M. Night Shyamalan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, he's seen serpico, he's definitely seen Reservoir Dogs.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
doi, I forgot about all of those. Good episode, carry on.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Charlie is a bit of a film connoisseur.

Definitely. Dog Day Afternoon with the "Attica! Attica, man!" quote.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sand Monster posted:

Definitely. Dog Day Afternoon with the "Attica! Attica, man!" quote.

4 the mare.

Or was that the Rock Flag and Eagle ep?

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

hottubrhymemachine posted:

Lacking all subtlty with the mac gay jokes now is getting boring.

Why did you need towels?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lacking all subtlty with the mac gay jokes now is getting boring.

This is what the show is turning into though. I mean now Dennis is full on sex predator psychopath mode, no more subtlety there either. Maybe they will go all out on it and have a "Mac is gay" episode where the show starts out like "The Gang Gets Racist" but it's Mac running into the bar asking the gang to not be weird, and then having the same black guy walk in.

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Really liked this one. I hope they got product placement money from Microsoft for using a Surface to essentially show modern technology being a cumbersome pain in the rear end. Did any internet detectives figure out what the QR code links to?

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

This is what the show is turning into though. I mean now Dennis is full on sex predator psychopath mode, no more subtlety there either. Maybe they will go all out on it and have a "Mac is gay" episode where the show starts out like "The Gang Gets Racist" but it's Mac running into the bar asking the gang to not be weird, and then having the same black guy walk in.

I just thought it was funnier when Mac didnt actually go to gay bars and need towels. When he was obviously in full denial to himself it was great because of the tortured logic he would use to explain things like greasing up beefcakes and wrestling rich guys. Now hes just doing gay stuff and pretending he isnt and it lost what made it so funny.

I can never get enough of Glenn's incredibly layered performance as Dennis. But the script needs to match it. More frustration at people not going along with his incredibly complex plans for buying drinks and less heads in freezers please.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Sitcom characters always turn into caricatures of themselves given enough seasons. It's best to accept it and move on.

In the early seasons of Friends Joey gets mad at his dad for slicing garlic instead of crushing it. By the end he thinks he's holding his breath by breathing through his mouth and is otherwise unsurvivably dumb.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I just thought it was funnier when Mac didnt actually go to gay bars and need towels. When he was obviously in full denial to himself it was great because of the tortured logic he would use to explain things like greasing up beefcakes and wrestling rich guys. Now hes just doing gay stuff and pretending he isnt and it lost what made it so funny.

I can never get enough of Glenn's incredibly layered performance as Dennis. But the script needs to match it. More frustration at people not going along with his incredibly complex plans for buying drinks and less heads in freezers please.

So what was it when he tells himself that it's not gay when he was banging the transvestite?

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Stuffguyman posted:

Did any internet detectives figure out what the QR code links to?

Nothing exciting. Links here: http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia/episodes

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

4 the mare.

Feast your ears on this spin doctors mix

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

bobkatt013 posted:

So what was it when he tells himself that it's not gay when he was banging the transvestite?

I hate to be that guy, but I believe she was a transsexual.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grem posted:

In the early seasons of Friends Joey gets mad at his dad for slicing garlic instead of crushing it. By the end he thinks he's holding his breath by breathing through his mouth and is otherwise unsurvivably dumb.

You could make a pretty convincing case that those apartments had some sort of slow carbon monoxide leak.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process

bobkatt013 posted:

Denial? Its not him banging the transexual and then not telling anyone. He freely tells people they banged but refuses to admit the truth to himself and thats much funnier than just banging dudes but being secretive about it.

I get that flanderization is a thing in tv shows but I struggle with it being 100% inevitable and therefore not worthy of comment. Joey becoming a blundering fuckwit always struck me as lazy writing rather than the natural path of character progression. I think its just fear of changing what they know to work and just leaning on it more and more. I would love for them to take more risks with the characters because they're absolutely brilliant.

I cant remember who posted it but someone said it would be interesting to see the show become more of a drama rather than descend into mediocrity and I think that's a really cool idea even if it's just done for the last few episodes of the last season. The whole cast are fantastic actors for the most part and could handle it easily.

I really liked it when Parks & Rec did the time skip for their last season because it got them out of a rut and was generally interesting and unusual.

It would never happen and I'm sure there are plenty of Sunny fans out there who like the show just as much as I do who just want to see Dee called a bitch and Charlie bashing rats until the end. Thats fine but the quality is dropping now and and I'd like them to end with a bang not a whimper.

edit: yikes that turned into way more of an effort post than id planned on

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 25, 2016

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

The Reservoir Dogs scene was amazing!

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If you read the Sunny reddit or other places, people pretty much don't say anything negative at all. TVIV is just always cynical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

drunken officeparty posted:

If you read the Sunny reddit or other places, people pretty much don't say anything negative at all. TVIV is just always cynical

Reddit not saying anything negative about the subject of their subreddit? Color me surprised.