Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FightingStreet
Oct 21, 2012

Take it to the bank, boys.
One of the most frustrating things about being on the east coast is that for whatever reason Smash thrives here but the SF scene is a scattered mess

I swear I see Smash tournaments all over the dang place but I have to go super out of my way to find SF local tourneys and it's insanely frustrating

Like the one thing I'll say about Smash players is that they're super dedicated, if you say there's gonna be a Smash tournament you'll have like 30 people showing up at your doorstep with CRTs almost instantly whereas it feels like a lot of east coast FGCers only bother to go to majors

Monaghan posted:

I don't mind smash players or whatever, but hoolly gently caress I wish there wasn't two smash games at evo this year. They are just so loving boring and take forever.
I'm more annoyed that Melee is on Sunday instead of Smash 4. I actually think Smash 4 is a fun game to watch, but watching high level Melee is just boring nonsense unless you're invested in that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Saint Freak posted:

For some reason I thought all those kids that got in trouble for crapping into their hands and throwing it at each other were Smash players, but I looked it up and that was actually Pokemons players.

MOBAs, Sonic, Pokemon, Smash and really pretty much anything Nintendo are all like autism magnets.

Street Fighter is hands down the most popular fighting game... that is, unless you count Smash, which is more popular by a huge margin. Ironically I think its popularity stems from the fact that it was meant to be a party game and not a competitive fighter. High level Smash definitely requires skill, but the basic game has such a low barrier of entry that even little 8 year old Jimmy can get into it. Competitive Smash is also trying to fit a square peg into a round hole as it literally is not intended to be a competitive game and they need to invent a myriad of rules to play it. It's like when you were kids and some kid got pissed off that you kept throwing him and decided to ban throws because "they're totally cheap!"

The crossover between Smash and other fighters seems pretty small because Smash players probably tried to do a Hadouken once and got pissed off when it didn't come out, and well, no one really wants anything to do with competitive Smash players. They're too nerdy for even FGC nerds.

TOs basically just run Smash to get their money. Watching Smash matches is also boring as gently caress and might be less interesting to watch than competitive Tekken.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Went to a tournament on Monday in MD at a Thai place.

It was 40-50 people, and I was feeling comfy under the assumption it was mostly newcomers like myself. When I started watching casuals I saw a surprising amount of mistakes and/or non-applicable SF4 strats being pulled under pressure. Also a good sign.

Tournament was double-elimination so I gave myself maybe a 20% chance to win at least one match.

First match was my Ryu against Bison and I got wrecked. (Not a lot of people were playing him well in online casuals during the launch week, probably because he's so different now, so I didn't anticipate how much he fucks up Ryu when played properly.) I almost got a round in so I felt good about that. In retrospect I should've pressured him way more. I don't know how to do that well with Ryu but the alternative was eating my own fireballs so...

Regardless, first tournament match and my ego was still intact.

I actually won the second match in losers. It was a Ryu mirror in more ways than one; we were both trying to shake SF4 flowchart Ryu from our habits and our play-style was incredibly similar (and rusty). I won the match with (not exaggerating) a pixel of health with 1 second on the clock in the 9th round. I was at 15% to his 30% and felt confident he'd slip up trying to finish me, but then I realized there was only 6-7 seconds left. I yelled "OH poo poo TIME" and jumped in, which lead to us throwing hard normals randomly, and the right one just happened to connect for me.

e: (My yelling about time didn't distract the other player or anything, we were yelling and joking about our fuckups the whole time which was nice.)

It was a crazy and totally undeserved adrenaline rush and I loved it.

The next losers match came really quickly and I got pretty thoroughly demolished by a Laura. The Lauras online haven't been nearly as tricky so far.

Still, 1 for 3 is better than I was expecting. They're starting a 9-week league that I might try to attend most of, even though it's an hour away and on weeknights. I guess I'm a little hooked at this point.

fart barterer fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 25, 2016

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm not tournament material but I'd love to play against real live human beings.

Everyone is tournament material, just go play and lose some entry free money to support local fgc but then play casuals afterward

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

boxcarhobo posted:

Everyone is tournament material, just go play and lose some entry free money to support local fgc but then play casuals afterward

this

most (not all) people at local events are just having a good time, a lot of people will even work with you afterwards and show you new/cool things you may not have seen

example, back in SF4AE i went to a tournament with my ultra2, unpracticed ryu and got blown up, on stage, by a really, really good gen

a bunch of guys saw me practicing at the casuals area, sat down with me, identified what i was doing wrong, and pushed me towards a character more suited to my playstyle. one of them is basically my best friend at this point

basically, you can meet some really, really cool dudes at local events

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

In Training posted:

Sonic Fox is going God's work by wearin a tail and being a completely unabashed furry while winning tens of thousands on the main stage of crappy Netherrealm fighters, making that scene look like a complete joke. He's awesome.

He's getting into SF5, but I feel like he might not do anywhere near as well as he does in NRS games.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Most people probably don't have time to stay until like 1am after the tournaments finish to play casuals on a weekday. The gently caress is the obsession with weeknights for events.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Going to tournaments you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning is actually way more fun and less stressful than entering one you're planning on winning

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Fellblade posted:

Most people probably don't have time to stay until like 1am after the tournaments finish to play casuals on a weekday. The gently caress is the obsession with weeknights for events.

I mean, if you get put out there's usually at least one casual setup off to the side for everyone to play on while the tournament keeps going

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Most Smash players seem to be unique snowflakes in annoying ways, but their presence at EVO did make for my favorite comment I saw while watching the stream last year.

They were giving gold arcade sticks to winners of all the games. When whoever's stick broke during the USFIV finals and there was a lot of confusion for a minute about how it would be handled, someone in Twitch chat said "GET ONE FROM THE SMASH WINNERS! THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT IT'S FOR!"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Going to tournaments you don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning is actually way more fun and less stressful than entering one you're planning on winning

pretty much. I love going to EVO with my buddies because I know I'm going to get bodied super hard no matter what and I can just sit back and relax.

Although I wish more of my friends played gundam vs gundam, I could do really well in that game :(.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
This fuckin game. I somehow went 10 wins straight last night only to lose to some Ken who psyched me out by tick throwing me repeatedly. Still not sure how I feel about that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

I registered for Revelator at Evo this year for this reason :grin:

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

In Training posted:

I registered for Revelator at Evo this year for this reason :grin:

its so you can lose to johnny over and over and over

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

One thing I never quite understood is how top players get the time off to fly\drive to all these events. I guess they must use up all their vacation time on tournaments.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The Smash players at my local scene are the loudest and most obnoxious assholes you can imagine, but it's worth having them around because I love watching the wait staff give them the fuckin' stinkeye every five minutes. Makes my heart sing every single time.

FightingStreet
Oct 21, 2012

signalnoise posted:

This fuckin game. I somehow went 10 wins straight last night only to lose to some Ken who psyched me out by tick throwing me repeatedly. Still not sure how I feel about that.

Happens to everyone. Even the best players get thrown off by nonsense sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfEVcZ3anG0

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
I don't know if you want to use FSP as an example of "best players."

FightingStreet
Oct 21, 2012

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

I don't know if you want to use FSP as an example of "best players."

At the very least he's someone who should've known better but got wrecked anyway

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

FightingStreet posted:

One of the most frustrating things about being on the east coast is that for whatever reason Smash thrives here but the SF scene is a scattered mess

I swear I see Smash tournaments all over the dang place but I have to go super out of my way to find SF local tourneys and it's insanely frustrating

Like the one thing I'll say about Smash players is that they're super dedicated, if you say there's gonna be a Smash tournament you'll have like 30 people showing up at your doorstep with CRTs almost instantly whereas it feels like a lot of east coast FGCers only bother to go to majors

I'm more annoyed that Melee is on Sunday instead of Smash 4. I actually think Smash 4 is a fun game to watch, but watching high level Melee is just boring nonsense unless you're invested in that scene.

It's really frustrating from my perspective. I was genuinely good at Melee, like, nationally good at that game, but that was literally 9 years ago now. Melee hasn't meaningfully changed in terms of meta for about 4 years now and there is literally NOTHING more that can be discovered about the game.

Even if you know what's going on, the game is completely boring as gently caress to watch because every matchup has been played out completely. It's incredibly frustrating because you're right when you say Smash 4 is a fun game, both to play and to watch and it just doesn't get a shot because a bunch of losers are still obsessed over doing the same dance they've done for more than a decade.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Where was this, Loading Bar? I'm not tournament material but I'd love to play against real live human beings. I tried seeing if there was a FGC group on meetup a while ago but there doesn't appear to be much of a community in London that I could find. :(

A place called The Book Club, in Shoreditch: https://www.facebook.com/Gamerdisco/?fref=ts

That's the event they host and I've been a couple of times, both of which were a genuine laugh. I wish I could compete in actual tournaments, but short of Capcom making a keyboard mod for SFV on the PS4, I don't think I'll be able to.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is there a reason why Smash tournaments have never opened up the possibility for 2v2 brackets

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

The Smash players at my local scene are the loudest and most obnoxious assholes you can imagine, but it's worth having them around because I love watching the wait staff give them the fuckin' stinkeye every five minutes. Makes my heart sing every single time.

Is the local scene still around in Fayettenam? I haven't gone there in years. Someone told me it petered out.

AFAIK Greensboro and Raleigh\Durham are where everything happens now. Geeksboro's been running SF5 on Fridays and Lost Ark on Sat. Daniel at Lost Ark says he's gonna pay for a trip to EVO for whoever wins the Lost Ark League so a lot of the killers from Raleigh have been coming over here. So in other words, Tom, Fran or one of the better Raleigh players are going to EVO lol

I'm kind of a lazy gently caress who doesn't travel far for fighting game stuff since a lot of it happens in my hometown nowadays. Also I got sick of USF4 and never really got into anime fighters. Years ago I used to drive 3 hours with a bunch of dudes to random rear end tournaments.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I was peripherally attached to the melee scene in college by way of the video games club, Electronic Gaming Society. They had a couple of couches in the back of the room, and a big TV that we played melee on. Every once in a while, somebody would be showcasing some new GCN game that they imported or whatever, because it was the club's only GCN, and it would just be a bunch of glowering nerds watching some guys play Naruto.

I was detached enough to be able to wander across the room to play Soul Caliber or whatever every once in a while, for which I am: thankful.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They should make a new soul Calibur

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

FightingStreet posted:

Happens to everyone. Even the best players get thrown off by nonsense sometimes.

This is still one of my favorite sf4 videos. I really don't know why the guy kept trying to do those links and crossups though.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

signalnoise posted:

It happens. Such is the bullshit yin and yang of online play. Just roll with it: the matches are made up and the points don't matter.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Gammatron 64 posted:

One thing I never quite understood is how top players get the time off to fly\drive to all these events. I guess they must use up all their vacation time on tournaments.

A lot of top players don't have real jobs or are students. Tournaments are over the weekend anyway, so it's very doable even if you have a 9-5. You only really need to book time off for Evo or tourneys that have pools that start on Friday or something.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

Subbz posted:

How does it run on PC? My CPU is fine but my 560ti might be a bottleneck. I grabbed it on PS4 but I've only got a 360 stick, and playing on pad is rear end.

I've got a 560ti and it works just fine after I turned off v-sync in the nvidia control panel. Was literally slow mo mode before that though.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

A place called The Book Club, in Shoreditch: https://www.facebook.com/Gamerdisco/?fref=ts

That's the event they host and I've been a couple of times, both of which were a genuine laugh. I wish I could compete in actual tournaments, but short of Capcom making a keyboard mod for SFV on the PS4, I don't think I'll be able to.

This looks pretty fun, so I might try to show up at the next one. Thanks.

Shame my stick is a PS3 stick and thus wouldn't be usable.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

FightingStreet posted:

This video is the story of my life, except I'm not actually a good player

Y'all should be thankful for crush counters as it makes it easy to poop on people like this. Block a wakeup DP, crush counter into a nasty combo, rinse, repeat, get rage quits.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1ZschLseI

Since making tutorials is the thing the cool kids do now I made a super specific one about Ryu. Not even a Ryu tutorial just an analysis of the situation off his f.HP! Please watch, maybe you'll get some ideas for your own character, or at least learn how to think about this situation if you encounter a Ryu in the wild that likes this move.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I swear every good melee player looks like a murderer. Go on any ol smash tourney stream and tell me that any of those guys don't look capable of strangling a puppy. I am truly baffled that melee is still played, it's the same 4 characters using the same strategies in long-as-hell matches, I don't get the appeal at all. And this is coming from a guy who probably put 1000+ hours into the game as a kid cause its a great party game. I do think that playing occasional smash 1v1s left me wanting more, and that led me to playing street fighter and liking it much more.

FightingStreet
Oct 21, 2012

Granted I have not watched a ton of pro smash but the only dude I've seen that seems like a legit cool guy is PPMD

I have a lot of respect for someone who went by Dr. Peepee for years because he spilled orange juice on his crotch in middle school and his friend kept calling him that and he thought it was funny

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's continued existence at Evo is purely monetary afaik. I can't stand watching it either but I understand why it's there instead of KOFXIII ( :cry: )

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Trykt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1ZschLseI

Since making tutorials is the thing the cool kids do now I made a super specific one about Ryu. Not even a Ryu tutorial just an analysis of the situation off his f.HP! Please watch, maybe you'll get some ideas for your own character, or at least learn how to think about this situation if you encounter a Ryu in the wild that likes this move.

This is a good video, thanks for making it. I keep letting go of the stick too late and going into fMP instead of MP for the cHP xx HDP combo, so I'll probably get to use some of this. :v:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Is the local scene still around in Fayettenam? I haven't gone there in years. Someone told me it petered out.

No idea, I moved to Seattle last year because Fayetteville is a crime-infested shithole and I hated it.

Greensborough and Raleigh are cool places though. Good memories there. Glad I was around for at least one Fall Classic.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Sarchasm posted:

No idea, I moved to Seattle last year because Fayetteville is a crime-infested shithole and I hated it.

Greensborough and Raleigh are cool places though. Good memories there. Glad I was around for at least one Fall Classic.

Ah, I didn't know. Well, they call it Fayettenam for a reason, you know.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

inthesto posted:

Is there a reason why Smash tournaments have never opened up the possibility for 2v2 brackets

our fg group does it

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
http://www.twitch.tv/trykt/v/50548682?t=4m49s

LOOK I DID IT IN A MATCH, HOORAY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Agoat posted:

With the new rollback netcode, this is one of the best online systems in a fighting game to date. There's a lot more that's new to SFV, here's a bunch of poo poo I put on a list:

- Revamped online with rollback netcode.

What's rollback netcode?