Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Quick streaming question that might be completely impossible; a couple of people I know are wanting to do a stream race. I think it'd be real cool if both people's screens were broadcast on the same stream, partially so viewers don't have to watch two streams at once but also so the recorded footage would have both racers on it. So far the only thing I can think of is doing multistreaming through meowbot or something and capturing that window but that would have a huge delay with the conversation in Discord

Is this possible without the two of them being in the same room (impossible, since one is in Canada, the other in England) and is it possible with OBS, broadcasting on hitbox?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Faerie Fortune posted:

Quick streaming question that might be completely impossible; a couple of people I know are wanting to do a stream race. I think it'd be real cool if both people's screens were broadcast on the same stream, partially so viewers don't have to watch two streams at once but also so the recorded footage would have both racers on it. So far the only thing I can think of is doing multistreaming through meowbot or something and capturing that window but that would have a huge delay with the conversation in Discord

Is this possible without the two of them being in the same room (impossible, since one is in Canada, the other in England) and is it possible with OBS, broadcasting on hitbox?

IIRC Smite did exactly that with his recent race streams. I'm not sure how, so I'm not super helpful, but it's possible to do at least.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Is it technically feasible?

Well, sort of. As long as you don't care about frame level accuracy of timing and are OK with the streams being slightly out of sync and a little behind the commentary.

But you're right, what you're looking at doing (since you're talking about streaming across an ocean) is having two people stream to a third and then the third mixing them together and then streaming that back out. Exactly how you do that it up to you (I don't know what meowbot is) but there's going to be lag. Exactly how much is heavily dependent on the streaming technologies being used. If you can have the racers stream straight to a broadcaster who then streams what they see and the Discord chat you can probably get the latency down to acceptable levels, but beyond screen sharing programs like Skype, I don't really know how you'd do that. (And I'm pretty sure Skype doesn't let you be in two streams at once.)

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm trying to screencap Sorcery!. Using the default-est ifranview png screencap setting. Compression level 6, binary encoding, full screen.

1. Does this look ok?
http://imgur.com/a/eIIZj
People with better vision / tech expertise generally recommend different settings when I screencap stuff.

2. For some goddamn reason, several different and distinct attempts to screencap something all result in a duplication of the same picture. That is, I start capping a long sequence, each screencap taking place after a different action, only to check the screencap folder at the end and I find I have a bunch of copies of the start of the sequence, and nothing else. Don't recall that ever happening with ifranview in the past.

3. For some reason, starting capture via capture2text minimizes the game window and starts capturing the text on my browser or whatever. No idea why (though my steam games on this computer generally appear to be wonky in terms of alt-tabbing)

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Normally I find it easier to take images from a video rather than trying to screencap live while playing. Is that a feasible option?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Niggurath posted:

Normally I find it easier to take images from a video rather than trying to screencap live while playing. Is that a feasible option?
It's a gif free CYOA, there's really no movement to speak of that requires video files. It's also a lot easier to just screencap / capture to text a choice at a time, rather than doing so via video file.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I tried streaming from my PS4 last night, and on reviewing the footage, I sound like I'm in the middle of a really crappy Skype call (reference here, and skip to just about anywhere and it's easily noticeable)

I'm using a Logitech G430 headset. Is this due to using a third party headset? Is it something else at work? This headset works just fine when I stream from my computer, so I don't think that piece of hardware in and of itself is the issue at all.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Just to be clear: You're streaming directly via the PS4's built-in streaming with the headset plugged into the PS4? Is the headset plugged in through the controller or directly via USB?

If it's though the controller, that's probably the best you're going to get. If it's by USB then I'd expect better but I don't know how the PS4 deals with external audio when streaming so maybe not.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Xenoveritas posted:

Just to be clear: You're streaming directly via the PS4's built-in streaming with the headset plugged into the PS4? Is the headset plugged in through the controller or directly via USB?

If it's though the controller, that's probably the best you're going to get. If it's by USB then I'd expect better but I don't know how the PS4 deals with external audio when streaming so maybe not.

Yeah, I'm using the PS4 to stream directly to twitch, and my headset is indeed plugged straight into the PS4's controller port

I tried downloading some headset app for the PS4, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all

Ventus
Oct 6, 2015
Quick question to those of you who are familiar with D3Dgear. Recently I've been attempting to record Minecraft videos with the program, but when I go to edit them I find that the quality is lack-luster.

Currently have an Intel i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8GB of RAM, and a GEForce GTX 650Ti

I've configured D3Dgear so that it's recording 1920x1080, 30 FPS, Fast MPEG-4 Version 2 Codec with best quality using 4 threads. AVI2 format.

Thanks so much for all the help, I really appreciate it!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

inthesto posted:

I tried downloading some headset app for the PS4, but it doesn't seem to do anything at all

IIRC that headset app is only for the Sony branded Pulse headphones.

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble with streaming software and Deadly Premonition: Directors Cut? For some reason nothing is picking it up and all I get is a black screen.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ventus posted:

I've configured D3Dgear so that it's recording 1920x1080, 30 FPS, Fast MPEG-4 Version 2 Codec with best quality using 4 threads. AVI2 format.

"MPEG-4 Version 2" most likely refers to MPEG-4 visual part 2, which is what Xvid and (original) DivX are, it's not a modern format and it's no wonder quality suffers if you use that.

If that's the best the program can do, switch to another program, because it's poo poo.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Roaper posted:

I was wondering if anyone else was having trouble with streaming software and Deadly Premonition: Directors Cut? For some reason nothing is picking it up and all I get is a black screen.
It's difficult to say since the game is a bit buggy on PC as is; but are you using OBS? Have you tried multiple options in OBS, like window capture as opposed to game capture? Are you running it full screen or windowed? With dsfix on or any other mods that might be interfering?

Ventus posted:

Quick question to those of you who are familiar with D3Dgear. Recently I've been attempting to record Minecraft videos with the program, but when I go to edit them I find that the quality is lack-luster.

Currently have an Intel i5-4570 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8GB of RAM, and a GEForce GTX 650Ti

Thanks so much for all the help, I really appreciate it!
Sadly I don't have too much knowledge directly regarding D3D, but does it list anywhere what bitrate it's using for 'best' quality. Also I'm a bit confused; is it outputting an avi file or an MP4? Like what are the customization options like in the program for quality settings?

Xander77 posted:

It's a gif free CYOA, there's really no movement to speak of that requires video files. It's also a lot easier to just screencap / capture to text a choice at a time, rather than doing so via video file.
Even if it's gif free, I've still found it loads easier to have a video sitting around to sweep through to get screenshots so you can go frame by frame, and you hopefully don't run into the issues you're running into (unless of course the game just has problems being recorded as well).

Ventus
Oct 6, 2015

Niggurath posted:

Sadly I don't have too much knowledge directly regarding D3D, but does it list anywhere what bitrate it's using for 'best' quality. Also I'm a bit confused; is it outputting an avi file or an MP4? Like what are the customization options like in the program for quality settings?

No it does not list what bitrate it's using for 'best' quality. It gives me the options of 'good,' 'better,' and 'best,' without additional information.

With regard to your output question, I'm pretty sure it's outputting an MP4, but I'm not entirely sure. I have the options of AVI1, AVI2, and WMV.

In an effort to clarify, I've uploaded a photo of the properties screen.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Roaper
Mar 23, 2012

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Niggurath posted:

It's difficult to say since the game is a bit buggy on PC as is; but are you using OBS? Have you tried multiple options in OBS, like window capture as opposed to game capture? Are you running it full screen or windowed? With dsfix on or any other mods that might be interfering?

Even if it's gif free, I've still found it loads easier to have a video sitting around to sweep through to get screenshots so you can go frame by frame, and you hopefully don't run into the issues you're running into (unless of course the game just has problems being recorded as well).

I've been trying Xsplit Broadcaster and Xsplit Gamecaster. With Broadcaster I've tried using window and game but it just doesn't wanna detect it. I'm running fullscreen as well. I'm also using a number of fixes such as that texture one and dsfix.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I'm trying to screencap Sorcery!. Using the default-est ifranview png screencap setting. Compression level 6, binary encoding, full screen.

1. Does this look ok?
http://imgur.com/a/eIIZj
People with better vision / tech expertise generally recommend different settings when I screencap stuff.

2. For some goddamn reason, several different and distinct attempts to screencap something all result in a duplication of the same picture. That is, I start capping a long sequence, each screencap taking place after a different action, only to check the screencap folder at the end and I find I have a bunch of copies of the start of the sequence, and nothing else. Don't recall that ever happening with ifranview in the past.

3. For some reason, starting capture via capture2text minimizes the game window and starts capturing the text on my browser or whatever. No idea why (though my steam games on this computer generally appear to be wonky in terms of alt-tabbing)

Back to this. What's a good screencap program that isn't ifranview, and what's a good capture setting for this particular graphics type? (Despite the suggestion, I'm not planning to video capture and then screencap from video each choice made)

Also, what could be the capture2text problem, and how would I solve it?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xander77 posted:

So I keep coming back to this, sorry but: The OP doesn't recommend a screencap program besides ifranview, the ifranview forums don't allow people to register right now, and it's not like I'm interrupting an urgent discussion.

At the very, least, I'd love to know the technical terms for what's happening so I can google better.

If there are no suggestions, my next recourse is probably to hit the screencap key paste it into mspaint, one at a time. How should I save it there / in what format?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
If you want to try other screenshot programs, since you linked to the game's Steam page, Steam itself can take screenshots. It can be configured to take lossless screenshots by choosing "save an uncompressed copy" in the settings.

Other options include ShadowPlay (if you have an Nvidia card) and Windows itself. If you're using Windows 10, there are special game screenshot features. (Pro-tip: don't use Windows 10.)

As for the problem you're having with Ifranview, I haven't a clue what would be causing it or how to fix it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Xenoveritas posted:

If you want to try other screenshot programs, since you linked to the game's Steam page, Steam itself can take screenshots. It can be configured to take lossless screenshots by choosing "save an uncompressed copy" in the settings.
That seems like a solid idea. Is there a way to set up steam screenshots so that the little "you've just taken a screenshot" announcement doesn't pop up every time you take to screw up future screenshots?

Also, what's a good conversion option for the resulting loseless PNGs to make them decently sized without a loss of quality?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

That seems like a solid idea. Is there a way to set up steam screenshots so that the little "you've just taken a screenshot" announcement doesn't pop up every time you take to screw up future screenshots?

Xander77 posted:

Also, what's a good conversion option for the resulting loseless PNGs to make them decently sized without a loss of quality?

IrfanView's Batch function.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

IrfanView's Batch function.
Yes, but how / what should I convert them to so that the final result has a reasonable size but still looks good?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Yes, but how / what should I convert them to so that the final result has a reasonable size but still looks good?

If you want maximum sharpness when scaling down images, the Lanczos method is your best bet. PNG will typically be your best bet to keep text sharp and readable, but it will probably also give bloated sizes. Experiment with JPG in various quality levels, maybe 60, 75 and 90, see which one gives an acceptable compromise.

Consider whether some of your shots are better cropped.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
If I wanted to record video of a game being played on a nintendo ds emulator to make some screenshots from later. What would be the best way/program to use to record it?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

psudonym55 posted:

If I wanted to record video of a game being played on a nintendo ds emulator to make some screenshots from later. What would be the best way/program to use to record it?

Desmume has built in recording.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

dis astranagant posted:

Desmume has built in recording.

I feel kind of like an idiot for not noticing that.
Thanks For the assistance.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

If you want maximum sharpness when scaling down images, the Lanczos method is your best bet. PNG will typically be your best bet to keep text sharp and readable, but it will probably also give bloated sizes. Experiment with JPG in various quality levels, maybe 60, 75 and 90, see which one gives an acceptable compromise.

Consider whether some of your shots are better cropped.
Not sure what the lanczos method is. Batch converting to PNG (with the default options at least) just gives me the same file size as the regular steam screencap. Here are the original caps:

And here's the default jpg conversion:

How's it look? Anything I should change?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Not sure what the lanczos method is. Batch converting to PNG (with the default options at least) just gives me the same file size as the regular steam screencap.
How's it look? Anything I should change?

Yes, you should enable "Advanced processing" in the batch operation, and have it scale down the images to something smaller. They probably shouldn't be much wider than 800 pixels, currently they are 1920 pixels wide. Resizing is where you get a choice of methods, with Lanczos one of them.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

nielsm posted:

Yes, you should enable "Advanced processing" in the batch operation, and have it scale down the images to something smaller. They probably shouldn't be much wider than 800 pixels, currently they are 1920 pixels wide. Resizing is where you get a choice of methods, with Lanczos one of them.
Still can't find Lanczos in any of the options.

Don't know, 12000x800 width/height seems to be a bit small. JPG quality of 80% seems to be leaving the text blurry.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You want to tick that "Use Resample function" checkbox or whatever it says. The method selection is only visible in the singular image resize window, not the batch one.

Also I don't know what kinda resolution your monitor is but those images look huge to me on a 1080p resolution.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

You want to tick that "Use Resample function" checkbox or whatever it says. The method selection is only visible in the singular image resize window, not the batch one.
Apparently that's marked by default:

So now I just need to see which settings make the text less blurry.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
He's using 1200x800 which is a little less than half the size of 1080p, which is why it looks so big.

Xander77 posted:

JPG quality of 80% seems to be leaving the text blurry.

Jpeg is really bad at handling hard edges, like text, so you may have to use a much higher quality setting to not gently caress up the text with artifacting, but your main problem is not jpeg artifacting.

The lack of resampling is the main reason why your text looks horrible, left is without resampling, right is with it:

As has been said, go and check "resample" in the advanced options in the batch menu to unfuck the text in the resized files. Also the resize filter options(lanczos, etc) aren't visible in the batch menu but are in the regular resize menu.

In the regular resize menu(just open any image and hit ctrl R to bring it up), select the filter, hit OK to save it, and when you resample in batch mode it will use whatever you set it to in the resize menu(default is lanczos anyway).

Also don't resize stuff to 1200x800, use 1280x720(or anything else with the same aspect ratio) because your current resized images are squished, use the "preserve aspect ratio" function(also in the advanced batch menu).

Use .jpg with quality set to 95 to avoid almost all artifacting that you might ever notice while not bloating the filesize too much.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Open these in two different tabs and change between them to compare what details you lose without resampling.
No resampling
Resampling

It literally affects every edge, line, basically anything that contributes to actual detail.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ok, I turned on "preserve aspect ration" and "use resample function". 1280x720, JPEG 95.

Still looks kinda blurry, I think.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Those are all 800x450, double check your settings

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

lohli posted:

Those are all 800x450, double check your settings
Weird. I thought I had double and triple checked.

Edit - Hmm, checking on a different monitor, that is a bit too large.1024x768?

Huh. Ifranview keeps spitting out 1024x576 for some reason, even though I made sure that the advanced batch conversion options say otherwise. Weird.

Also, is there a way to set up ifranview so that it looks in a specific folder by default? At the moment is always reverts to the drive that includes the ifranview directory, rather than the specific screenshot directory I'm trying to convert from.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 2, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Edit - Hmm, checking on a different monitor, that is a bit too large.1024x768?

Huh. Ifranview keeps spitting out 1024x576 for some reason, even though I made sure that the advanced batch conversion options say otherwise. Weird.

1024x768 is a 4:3 resolution, but your screenshots are taken in a 16:9 resolution. If you actually resized them to 1024x768 everything would be squashed out of proportions, which is why the Preserve Aspect Ratio corrects it so instead your pictures fit within a box that size, making them 1024 pixels wide and as tall as needed to remain 16:9 ratio.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Ok. This is the final version that looks fine, then?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Ok. This is the final version that looks fine, then?

Yep that looks like a good compromise. Everything is sharp and readable/recognizable.

Do experiment with lowering the JPG quality some, it's not critical but probably won't hurt either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Right. Two more questions:

1. How can I get ifranview to use a specific directory as the "default" or whatever, so that it's the directory it opens when I start batch converting files?

2. Is there a specific reason capture2text would just minimize a window when I try to capture text from that window? Something about the program definitions? Something about the game definitions?