Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

How often was that? I keep remembering as just two or three dudes.

There were at least a couple of trainers per dungeon area. I think a lot of them were also in the areas only available after the post-game.

EDIT:

v Good thing people usually divide Pokemon games by a / rather than an &

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
boy these new games are gonna cause some interesting google search results when you look for pokemon s&m

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

On difficulty: To me, part of pokemon has always been about having good type coverage, and I loved the exp all in X/Y since it made building a full team way less of a slog, I just wish the game was a bit more balanced around it existing and almost "demanded" you to have good type coverage. I just remember only really needing to use 2-3 pokemon for most of the game, and I was switching out dudes on the E4 even though I could have easily kept the same guy out. :geno:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Rudoku posted:

I remember Tierno. I liked his gimmick.
Tierno always reminds me of RedLetterMedia's bit on Palpatine in the Star Wars prequel trilogy: he has a goal that he's actively working towards, and he seems like he's having fun doing it. Which, as with Palpatine, automatically puts him above most of the characters.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Sorry to interrupt the Gen 7 speculation, but i just got to victory road in Black 2 after defeating Team Plasma. Does anyone actually care about these dumb story lines where some rear end in a top hat is trying to destroy the world using a legendary pokemon? I guess Gen 1 had Team Rocket, but they were just a criminal organisation involved in stealing people's pokemon and IP theft. The epic creep is kind of ridiculous when i now have to stop a guy from literally destroying the world using the husk of an ancient pokemon or whatever his plan was. I played pokemon so much when i was 10 years old because i wanted to catch all the pokemon and beat the gym leaders, not to defeat a dumb cartoon villain through the power of friendship.

Since we're talking about the next generation, what i'd like to see to freshen things up is to have a story of the week structure to the campaign, sort of like the anime. Rather than chasing Team Evil all over the place, have a whole load of optional side quests and events all over the place that you can complete for rewards. Some examples:

- There's a haunted house and you have to bring some memento to get a ghost pokemon to reveal itself then you can catch it.
- Some kid lost his cute pokemon in a forest and you have to find it
- A breed of pokemon have a ritual when it's a full moon and if you bring a pokemon of the same breed to the ritual it will evolve
- A greedy pokemon is eating all the food in the market and you have to find a way to deal with it
- Some guy uses his water pokemon to water his crops but it's sick so you need to use yours to help him out
- A weekly fishing tournament

Those are just off the top of my head so i'm sure there are better ones. I really liked the episodes of the TV show which showed the habits of wild pokemon or how people used their pokemon to help them in their day to day lives. It would be a good way to introduce some variety to the towns and routes beyond walking through grass and beating the trainers on the way. If people liked spending hours on sidequests in Mass Effect where you did stuff like convince a broken up couple to get back together or tracked down a thief on a space station i'm sure you could come up with engaging stuff to do using pokemon.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Oxyclean posted:

On difficulty: To me, part of pokemon has always been about having good type coverage, and I loved the exp all in X/Y since it made building a full team way less of a slog, I just wish the game was a bit more balanced around it existing and almost "demanded" you to have good type coverage. I just remember only really needing to use 2-3 pokemon for most of the game, and I was switching out dudes on the E4 even though I could have easily kept the same guy out. :geno:

i agree, but has there been a pokemon main game that required more than two or three pokemon?

nidoking could dominate everything in r/b/y, i don't remember much about original g/s, blaziken and one more pokemon could beat everything up to and including E4 in hoenn

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

hopeandjoy posted:

Why do people want these games to be a slog. There's nothing more annoying than having to crawl back through all the wild Pokemon after blacking out in a middle of a route. I remember dreading that Cool/Ace Trainer in Gen 3 with the Mitolic because that hung could sweep my team and was annoying as hell.

As for XY, I remember Calem, who is literally always eating your dust. He's just as pathetic as Brendan is.

It's annoying, yeah, and honestly I wouldn't want it to be like that anymore, but the current alternative of killing everyone in sight without much issue is even worse imo. I don't know, throw in more of those healing houses in routes but limit them so that you just go to them when you faint instead of using them to heal as much as you want. Have them charge you to sleep there and heal so you can't abuse them. Just something to mitigate all the running but still have randos be able to white you out.

Alxprit posted:

There were at least a couple of trainers per dungeon area. I think a lot of them were also in the areas only available after the post-game.

Hmm I should probably replay those two for good memories, but I gave the cartridge to my gf...

As far as XY friends/rivals go... all I can really think is that they were just there for you to defeat super hardcore, make you feel how Gary thought he should've been by curbestomping at every chance and making them know that training to be a proper-rear end trainer is beyond them.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CJ posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Gen 7 speculation, but i just got to victory road in Black 2 after defeating Team Plasma. Does anyone actually care about these dumb story lines where some rear end in a top hat is trying to destroy the world using a legendary pokemon? I guess Gen 1 had Team Rocket, but they were just a criminal organisation involved in stealing people's pokemon and IP theft. The epic creep is kind of ridiculous when i now have to stop a guy from literally destroying the world using the husk of an ancient pokemon or whatever his plan was. I played pokemon so much when i was 10 years old because i wanted to catch all the pokemon and beat the gym leaders, not to defeat a dumb cartoon villain through the power of friendship.

i like Team Rocket the best too, the Mafia is cool, weird cults are lame

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
At least Gary was an egotistical jerk and Silver was an actual criminal so you could feel good about beating their teams up. It just makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat when your rival goes "Oh boy I'm going to try and get the secret to Mega Evolution, I can't wait to try it!" and then you beat them into the ground and they go "Oh I guess I just suck too bad."

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Paul.Power posted:

Tierno always reminds me of RedLetterMedia's bit on Palpatine in the Star Wars prequel trilogy: he has a goal that he's actively working towards, and he seems like he's having fun doing it. Which, as with Palpatine, automatically puts him above most of the characters.

Tierno and Shana were good, Trevor was meh and Calem/Serena were the personification of a long yawn.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Twelve by Pies posted:

At least Gary was an egotistical jerk and Silver was an actual criminal so you could feel good about beating their teams up. It just makes me feel like an rear end in a top hat when your rival goes "Oh boy I'm going to try and get the secret to Mega Evolution, I can't wait to try it!" and then you beat them into the ground and they go "Oh I guess I just suck too bad."

It's called Pocket Monsters not Pocket Sweethearts

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Not to mention that Silver and Gary we credible rivals because you knew that they won whenever you weren't around(except silver got trashed by lance). Even Barry had this to an extent, and I liked him more than most rivals. Nobody likes beating down a rival that never accomplished anything.

I still like Cheren and Bianca the best though, Even if Cheren was a dork.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

special pikachu edition with the yellow gameboy, the best christmas gift i ever got

My dad and aunt got me this for xmas

Cuckoo posted:

https://twitter.com/Junichi_Masuda/status/700214210483990528/photo/1

Masuda said something about Sun/Moon apparently which would all but confirm it?

Rough translation: "The sun is out, but the moon is shining bright. Also, the birds are singing."

Comfirmed 3rd game will be Eclipse

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I kinda loved it when I just realized that it meant we were Gary and SIlver "oh there's children that want to do things and have fun and have an adventure gently caress YOU I'M THE HERO, YOUR SKILLS ARE poo poo" but yeah jerk rivals need to come back.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jarogue posted:

My dad and aunt got me this for xmas

yeah that's what i'm talking about, i don't still have the box or anything tho lol, 6 year old me was not concerned about throwing away such frivolous items

also real cool thing about it is that the Gameboy still works so I can still play Yellow anytime I want (which isn't often but every now and then I like playing it, cuz nostalgia is a drug i guess)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also that gameboy is in way better condition then mine, mine has the scratches and damage one would expect form a clumsy 7 year old

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I wonder what Megas they'll include in Sun/Moon. Also, the last games I played that had Sun/Moon in them were MegaMan Battle Network 4, so that was a slight trigger there. I really hope if its a return to Kalos that they'll make things more robust. Kalos was pretty to look at but such a snoozefest.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

hopeandjoy posted:

Why do people want these games to be a slog. There's nothing more annoying than having to crawl back through all the wild Pokemon after blacking out in a middle of a route. I remember dreading that Cool/Ace Trainer in Gen 3 with the Mitolic because that hung could sweep my team and was annoying as hell.

As for XY, I remember Calem, who is literally always eating your dust. He's just as pathetic as Brendan is.
IMO the main focus of a hard mode should be stronger gym leaders/team admins/elite four. It's disappointing when a lot of the 'boss battles' are trivial to beat.

Boost levels of route trainers to help keep the level curve from being weird, but the better teams/AI/etc should be concentrated in the boss fights.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Carlosologist posted:

I wonder what Megas they'll include in Sun/Moon. Also, the last games I played that had Sun/Moon in them were MegaMan Battle Network 4, so that was a slight trigger there. I really hope if its a return to Kalos that they'll make things more robust. Kalos was pretty to look at but such a snoozefest.

There are so many Pokemon who need mega love (or at least an evolution) that Gamefreak could keep designing and adding upgrades to trashmons for the rest of all our lifetimes.

I think Kalos was less exciting than Gen V but better than Gens III and IV? :shrug:

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Did the Celebi codes go out today?

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah that's what i'm talking about, i don't still have the box or anything tho lol, 6 year old me was not concerned about throwing away such frivolous items

also real cool thing about it is that the Gameboy still works so I can still play Yellow anytime I want (which isn't often but every now and then I like playing it, cuz nostalgia is a drug i guess)

Oh that is just a picture from amazon. I still have mines but I had to get a replacement battery cover and repair the speaker.

Here is a real picture of mines. A little wear but keep it safe because I didn't even tell my Dad or Aunt that I liked Pokemon when they gave it to me, they just know.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

I still like rivals like Barry, and the Gen 5 crew. Barry feels like a nod to why Gary works - He's your childhood friend, who absolutely LOVES Pokemon, and battles you probably because that's how being trainers works. And he even grows over the course of the game, while Gary needs GSC to show his development over the course of being That Guy You Smell Later.

I mentioned this a long time ago, but with the Gen 5 crew, I think they're fairly balanced in terms of the tropes GF uses for rivals. Bianca is a sweetie who has zero ambition for herself, Cheren is a nerd who wants to be strong, and Hugh is a dork who's so hyped about being able to fight Team Plasma... He drop kicks a grunt. Beautiful.

I never understood the love for Silver, mostly because he isn't your rival... He's just some runt who you bump into sometimes. Maybe the fact that he's hyped up, only leads to me feeling contrarian. :v:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i hope gen vii continues the odd number gen tradition of being all new monsters

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
pokemon-sunmoon.com (posting the url directly here doesn't work for some reason)

Hmmmm

Dunban fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 25, 2016

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

LODGE NORTH posted:

Did the Celebi codes go out today?

Isn't Celebi going to be non-code based and just available on the internet thing in March?

oddium posted:

Give me an eeveelution and I'm good. Granted, I had a friend point out new eeveelutions seem to have been an even number tradition.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 25, 2016

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's annoying, yeah, and honestly I wouldn't want it to be like that anymore, but the current alternative of killing everyone in sight without much issue is even worse imo. I don't know, throw in more of those healing houses in routes but limit them so that you just go to them when you faint instead of using them to heal as much as you want. Have them charge you to sleep there and heal so you can't abuse them. Just something to mitigate all the running but still have randos be able to white you out.

This will never happen, but the way to balance it is to make pokemon full heal between each battle, and if you lose the penalty is just the battle ending. That way you can balance it around hte strategy and matchups within a battle, rather than it being a battle of attrition that is more about how often you can be bothered to go heal than the chance of losing in an individual fight.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually amazed there isn't a "Pokemon Sun" fansite. Like that would have been a perfect name in the 90s when Red/Blue were out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Above all else I think the rivals need to have some sort of challenge to them, otherwise they're just losers that follow you around. Barry had a fairly strong team by the end that could very well wreck you, whereas people like Serena had something like three pokemon at endgame, which was just lame as hell.

oddium posted:

I hope so, I enjoy spending time with the new guys exclusively for the main campaign. It helps you appreciate them more.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Pokemon Sun and Moon are indirect XY sequels + a new smaller generation. Calling GameFreak's batshit unpredictability.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Jarogue posted:

Oh that is just a picture from amazon. I still have mines but I had to get a replacement battery cover and repair the speaker.

Here is a real picture of mines. A little wear but keep it safe because I didn't even tell my Dad or Aunt that I liked Pokemon when they gave it to me, they just know.

haha i lost the battery cover too, never replaced it tho cuz it turns out you can hook it up to a power port and just play from an AC charger

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Dunban posted:

pokemon-sunmoon.com (posting the url directly here doesn't work for some reason)

Hmmmm

Also pokemon-sun.com and pokemon-moon.com

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Cuckoo posted:

There are so many Pokemon who need mega love (or at least an evolution) that Gamefreak could keep designing and adding upgrades to trashmons for the rest of all our lifetimes.

I think Kalos was less exciting than Gen V but better than Gens III and IV? :shrug:

I think that's fair. I happened to love Gen IV mostly because it was the generation that I can really remember. I can't wait for the remakes that'll properly do the region justice

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

CJ posted:

This will never happen, but the way to balance it is to make pokemon full heal between each battle, and if you lose the penalty is just the battle ending. That way you can balance it around hte strategy and matchups within a battle, rather than it being a battle of attrition that is more about how often you can be bothered to go heal than the chance of losing in an individual fight.

God that'd be so good, specially for early stuff, like having a guy have a fighting type early on so you won't get pass him unless you catch and train a bird mon you can easily get here and wack him. But yeah, never gonna happen, just considering PP drops it but i want it so much now...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shneak posted:

Pokemon Sun and Moon are indirect XY sequels + a new smaller generation. Calling GameFreak's batshit unpredictability.

I've seen some people speculate on stuff like the big Sundial in Kalos. I also remember a rail station in a town on the eastern edge of the map that didn't really serve a purpose? Seen a bunch of people speculating that maybe Sun and Moon will be the Gold and Silver of X&Y. (The logos are even gold and silverish, and thinking about it now, Ho-oh was sun based and Luigia was kinda moon/night-ish?)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

I've seen some people speculate on stuff like the big Sundial in Kalos. I also remember a rail station in a town on the eastern edge of the map that didn't really serve a purpose? Seen a bunch of people speculating that maybe Sun and Moon will be the Gold and Silver of X&Y. (The logos are even gold and silverish, and thinking about it now, Ho-oh was sun based and Luigia was kinda moon/night-ish?)

There's also a goth girl npc somewhere in Kalos (i think in the snow town) that mentions that moondials are also a thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Oxyclean posted:

Ho-oh was sun based and Luigia was kinda moon/night-ish?)

ho-oh is son based, in that he's my son and i couldn't be more proud of him

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
We get the original Red, Blue, and Yellow tomorrow.

I know it is a long shot, but I really want them to announce a "one-way-transfer-system" so we can take the Pokemon we catch in those games and send them to the future (current generation).

Don't tell me it can't be done. Just map the IV stats from 0 to 15 to 0 to 31. Also, randomly and/or systematically assign a nature and some other information and it could royally be done.

Please do this Nintendo. I never liked the impassible rift between Gen 2 and Gen 3.

Here's the Sun, Moon, and the inevitable Star/Meteor/Earth/Planet/Comet version.

edit: Will we finally get Mega Meganium?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

There's also a goth girl npc somewhere in Kalos (i think in the snow town) that mentions that moondials are also a thing.

Same town as the sundial.

I wouldn't mind a Gold/Silver deal. They only made northern France, so there's room to go either to make poke-UK or southern France.

Also, if we end up getting Sun and Moon I feel like a third version for them will become dramatically less likely.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Oxyclean posted:

A Gold and Silver V 2.0 would be loving awesome. I always liked Johto and felt more of a 'connection' to it than all of the other Pokemon countries, and I think it being "related" to Kanto helped that fact. The newer places all just feel so separate and isolated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

God that'd be so good, specially for early stuff, like having a guy have a fighting type early on so you won't get pass him unless you catch and train a bird mon you can easily get here and wack him. But yeah, never gonna happen, just considering PP drops it but i want it so much now...

It's sort of how the pokemon minigame in WoW works. If your pokemon die the battle ends, and you can push a button with a 5 or 10 minute cooldown to full heal your pokemon or use a consumable if you're dumb and bad and lost twice in a row.

• Locked thread