Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mapparu
Sep 22, 2013

Sniep posted:

all you gotta do is get a really long wire and wrap it around a tree far away from you and then connect to the antenna that's on it.

it just takes a long piece of metal, precise length doesnt really matter just as long as you can get it

i returned it already so i guess websdr will do the trick, any cool broadcasts youve listened to recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bought a lovely radio shack 10 meter radio for 30 dollars at the hamfest and sure as poo poo i hook it up and get some 59 reports from idaho and calgary

lol
these things are great

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i bought a lovely radio shack 10 meter radio for 30 dollars at the hamfest and sure as poo poo i hook it up and get some 59 reports from idaho and calgary

lol
these things are great

post pics

but also hams are like some science fiction race that has forgotten that "59" is actually supposed to mean something, they just sorta chant it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Pham Nuwen posted:

post pics

but also hams are like some science fiction race that has forgotten that "59" is actually supposed to mean something, they just sorta chant it.

if you're contesting and you can hear the person legibly without effort its 59 and you move on because you don't want 6 followup questions "how about now?" or the ever present "ey gently caress you too buddy"

if you're just calling CQ on a random night hoping for some contacts, sure i give accurate RSTs and often get the same.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I always come in 6 by 9 :quagmire:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

anyone interested in playing with hf packet radio, specifically UUCP over AX.25 to transfer files, email, and newsgroups? i'm working out how to set up a soundcard tnc + linux AX.25 + Taylor UUCP + INN news daemon, but at some point I'm going to need someone on the other end to test things.

why do this instead of the more traditional ham options? for starters, traditional ham software is basically a dumpster fire. with this, you can communicate in public newsgroups or "private" mail, and copy files to each other if you want, using regular unix programs that are actually documented.

uucp over packet radio is also something that used to be reasonably common back in the day, and should still work quite well because uucp was originally designed for lovely slow links (including 300 baud modems and 300 baud packet radio). it eliminates the overhead of tcp/ip and instead should be able to just run uucp's own simple protocol over the ax.25 link-level protocol.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
well dip me in poo poo there's a yospos ham thread.

i'm just a dumb radio producer who put this in his attic three years ago and is too lazy to run wire to it.

i've got an ft-60r because of course i do, and would love a mobile unit to stick in a honda cr-v and a big motherfucker for my studio office.

how's sdr these days, is there fun poo poo to do with that now?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

anyone interested in playing with hf packet radio, specifically UUCP over AX.25 to transfer files, email, and newsgroups? i'm working out how to set up a soundcard tnc + linux AX.25 + Taylor UUCP + INN news daemon, but at some point I'm going to need someone on the other end to test things.

why do this instead of the more traditional ham options? for starters, traditional ham software is basically a dumpster fire. with this, you can communicate in public newsgroups or "private" mail, and copy files to each other if you want, using regular unix programs that are actually documented.

uucp over packet radio is also something that used to be reasonably common back in the day, and should still work quite well because uucp was originally designed for lovely slow links (including 300 baud modems and 300 baud packet radio). it eliminates the overhead of tcp/ip and instead should be able to just run uucp's own simple protocol over the ax.25 link-level protocol.

i'm really interested in this but i haven't made the plunge on a non-handheld (except for all the RTL-SDRs and the rad1o) yet

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i'm really interested in this but i haven't made the plunge on a non-handheld (except for all the RTL-SDRs and the rad1o) yet

so you'd need a hf rig... my antenna seems to do best on 20 and 40 so you'd want one of those, maybe 40 since it actually works at night. and an antenna. total you'd probably be looking at a few hundred bucks which is a lot just to try and possibly fail to send packet to me, but if you're already interested in trying hf, contact the old farts at the local ham club and see if anyone's selling.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

lol
these things are great

whereabouts in idaho do you know?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

so you'd need a hf rig... my antenna seems to do best on 20 and 40 so you'd want one of those, maybe 40 since it actually works at night. and an antenna. total you'd probably be looking at a few hundred bucks which is a lot just to try and possibly fail to send packet to me, but if you're already interested in trying hf, contact the old farts at the local ham club and see if anyone's selling.

yeah I wish the dade radio club met in different nights

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
That was a fun few day reading this thread through, and thanks for the software demos Jonny 290! MMANA-GAL isn't the easiest to use, but it's fun testing stupid poo poo in it. Like would two handheld mixer beaters work as an antenna. :v: They did, at 305MHz. The radiation pattern was hosed though, and it had SWR of 1.7 and impedance of ~7Ohm

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i splurged with leftover cash from the car fixing saga and bought my first brand new ham radio ever.

gimmick quad bander ahoy! It was only $30 more than the 8800R and $20 more than the IC-2730a, my runner-up.

honestly the yaesu won because the amber backlighting matches the rest of the car. but its of course a rock solid amazing radio too.
Only thing that sucks is theres no sort of bank memory, just an 800 channel glob - but you can set a flag on desired channels and scan only those channels, so it helps. really i just want one side to live on the local simplex and the other to scan all the repeaters so it works just fine for me.

I dont have 6 or 10 antennas but i'm probably going to throw a Larsen 6m NMO whip in the trunk to screw on when i feel like fuckin' with the local 6m action.

oh yeah the trunk

did i mention i hacked up my car

i follow the palin doctrine when it comes to antennas now. so much better.

two comet sbb-2 dual banders on top of larsen nmo's

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Oh poo poo that's FT-8900R right? Man, that's the radio I really want to buy some day and stuff in my car. (Or the chinese copy of it)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

did i mention i hacked up my car

i want to swap out the sirius/xm antenna on my car with something i'll actually use but it seems like the antenna would collide with the back window

should take pics and measure it on tuesday

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

JointHorse posted:

Oh poo poo that's FT-8900R right? Man, that's the radio I really want to buy some day and stuff in my car. (Or the chinese copy of it)

The same. It's near end of life so they've got the price pretty low. I think at release they were like 479, i got mine for 339 plus tax down at ham radio outlet.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i want to swap out the sirius/xm antenna on my car with something i'll actually use but it seems like the antenna would collide with the back window

should take pics and measure it on tuesday

i didn't even think of this factor when positioning these and yet with the trunk lid up i have a perfect 1/2" gap between the window and antenna tips. i would have been so mad if i would have done them one inch closer to the front of the car

see what you got there, they have NMO mounts that will install in as small as a 3/8" hole.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

do mobile radios tend to fit in single-DIN slots or are they juuust too big (and/or too warm) to do that

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yay, thread lives

uh absolutely. theyre tiny now.
my ft-8900r is 140x42x168 mm, din is 180x50 with plenty of depth

if its a scanner you want uniden has you covered in the most pro of ways

comes with the din frame and errything

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I bought a ft-60 today. I'll post again when it comes in. it was $165 at the hamfest I went to today. I didn't want to haggle over $15 just to pay sales tax anyway. but I also got a mfj 5/8 wave 2m / 6m whip with a nmo magmount. hamfest was kind of a disappointment otherwise but it's hard when ur wife and kid are with u. kid got a bubble gun that's shaped like a killer whale lol

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

just noticed the thread title. grandpa's email address was his call sign @ aol.com :rip:

i wish I'd ended up with all of his cool radio stuff

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holy poo poo the ISS is loud

with my vert on the roof and preamp on, i'm getting APRS packets at about S5 or so (145.825 +/- dopp)

time to hook a computer back up and ping a space station

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

holy poo poo the ISS is loud

with my vert on the roof and preamp on, i'm getting APRS packets at about S5 or so (145.825 +/- dopp)

time to hook a computer back up and ping a space station

I don't know what this means but it seems cool+good

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Sizable 6 meter opening - the season officially starts

Landed some california and pacnw stations here. only gonna get better

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
jonny came by today to help me get on HF finally with this vertical

got a couple elevated ground plane radials off either wide of the fence and 90° down the sides up to my house, bout 50' either side ish?

so far sounds ok but not used to HF at all, so, i defer to jonny's opinion and with that i think im finally up and running

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

something i worry about with setting up a real outdoor antenna is:

what do you do about lightning?

i mean im in a redwood grove in a valley but id still worry about that

e: and in an area that sees a lightning strike maybe once a year lol

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 23, 2016

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i was suuper close to ordering an airspy but then i saw this thing and now im not so sure

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Progressive JPEG posted:

something i worry about with setting up a real outdoor antenna is:

what do you do about lightning?

i mean im in a redwood grove in a valley but id still worry about that

e: and in an area that sees a lightning strike maybe once a year lol

Just put yer leads in a jar when ya hear a storm comin' and you'll be fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Last night was the first notable night with nearby lightning; i pulled the coax leads off the radios just for static protection. there's no saving against a direct hit but

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Yeah if lightning wants to gently caress u up it will, but you should try your best

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
:siren: :siren: Field Day Is In One Month :siren: :siren:

Did a little costco shopping today:

10 person tent with 6'7" peak height, should be enough for me and jonny and a table to operate on

got some poo poo to sleep on:

(the smaller 30# propane tank coming too for big buddy heater + some sorta cooking device)

and a small table for like drinks/food poo poo not on the main radio table

Gear wise i'm bringing:

* 4x U1 AGM batteries (35Ah x 4 = 140Ah main power)
* 54Ah battery box witih USB/cigarette/2x powerpoles for lighting, fans, cell charging, w/e
* 2x 100w solar panels
* MPPT solar charge controller
* Yaesu FTdx1200 base station
* AT-100ProII antenna tuner
* Diamond X50 2m/440 vertical
* 52 foot doublet antenna to string up (with 4:1 balun)

jonny should be on the hook for his icom base radio, all antenna mounting / beams / guy wires / food and cooking tools

think thats about it?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh yeah a bit of background on our FD ops: We are loosely affiliated with a local prepper group that rents out basically an entire campground for the Field Day weekend. We didn't go last year so i don't know what we're getting into. I think it's a bunch of Technician preppers camping and playing with their 857's and poo poo. It's super unorganized, none of the other guys log, it's all different callsigns, no coordination, but it should be fun.

Anyways we're going to be operating single transmitter not-sure-of-the-class yet, Sniep is bringin his gorgeous 1200 to bash it out on HF/6 and i've got my ole 746 for HF/6/2. If you have a transmitter setup that TX's exclusively on VHF and higher, it doesn't count in the transmitter count, freebie station. So I suspect that we'll have something running on 6 and/or 2 the whole time alongside the HF station.

I've wrangled a couple of CW ops that promised to come by and bash it out which I definitely wanted to make a thing. My first field day memories that really imprinted were from back in '92, where my dad and I went to a regional FD and all night long these ancient beards bashed it out on a Ten-Tec Omni V or something at like 30 WPM; it was so fun to watch. Modern day should be even more interesting now that radios and laptops can decode CW real time and allow spectators to follow

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

missing a shitload of booze imo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
> Elevation for 39.41306, -105.75667 is 10007 feet

Gotta be careful a bit. Do not worry. We have things covered.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
booze wise im bringing this

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Sniep posted:

booze wise im bringing this

As someone who visited Colorado recently, you chose well. Take a sip after every 5 or 10 contacts and enjoy the reward.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
yeah i live in CO we're going up into the mountains about 10k' for FD ops

going with jonny290, despite my callsign being cooler gonna have to op under his since he's got extra and i havent got to take the test yet

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
there's still tiiiime

yeah my awful 80 weight callsign is terrible but hey we get the whole extra expanse so

ALmost as excited for the SWLing (we're going to have some loving big wires up in some loving big trees) and brats and beers as I am for the real FD ops

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

there's still tiiiime

yeah my awful 80 weight callsign is terrible but hey we get the whole extra expanse so

ALmost as excited for the SWLing (we're going to have some loving big wires up in some loving big trees) and brats and beers as I am for the real FD ops

there's not time for me to get tested and show up in FCC before FD

is there?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I dunno tbh. might be worth searching for a test session in the second or third week o june if you feel up to it

You just have to pass the test and you can operate $CALL/AE in extra bands until you show up in ULS, then it's real deal and you can drop the /AE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
hmm

hm

• Locked thread