Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

FireSight[/quote posted:

You enter a bailey!
2 player ghosts come into view.
Final's ghost turns its malevolent gaze towards you.
TacoSundae's ghost turns its malevolent gaze towards you.
Found a gate leading back out of this place.
_There is an empty arch of ancient stone here.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Time to BAIL, eh? :v:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean what were you expecting, exactly? Baileys are ultra high-risk, high-reward even compared to other mini-branches.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Honestly the only minibranches I assume I'm not gonna be able to finish are ice caves. Everything else has a high success rate and easy escape in the failure case.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
What are some good synergistic combos for each god? I'm trying to expand beyond melee dudes of Oka/Trog and blaster casters of Vehumet and have some fun. What are your favorite gods to mess around with? Besides Pakellas, who I'm already having fun with thanks to the discussion in this thread.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There's the kaschei approved Demonspawn of Makhleb, where as soon as you start worship you train Invocations until 20 and then branch out from there.

Fedhas Merfolk? Can use Rain to make easy pools of water to lurk in and fire/stab at a distance.

Spriggan Enchanters work well with Dithmenos/Ashenzari.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
ghoul of chei has the cool synergy of punching everything the gently caress to dead

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Princey posted:

What are some good synergistic combos for each god? I'm trying to expand beyond melee dudes of Oka/Trog and blaster casters of Vehumet and have some fun. What are your favorite gods to mess around with? Besides Pakellas, who I'm already having fun with thanks to the discussion in this thread.

If you want something really different, try a Naga Abyssal Knight or a Formicid/Hill Orc of ZIn. Lugonu really helps take the edge off of Naga's early game with Banishment and Corruption for all the problem monsters. Zin is a very different style of game, but Recite is very powerful and his stat boost power is actually a lot stronger than it looks (15 invocations gets you +5 to all stats when you use Vitalization, in addition to the other benefits), not to mention Sanctuary being an amazing panic button.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Vine stalker of Qazlal: The aggressive playstyle created by worshiping Qazlal works well with vine stalkers and their rapid regeneration. Its a combo slated very heavily towards offense though and provides no immediate escape options. You rarely need to escape though since you are a whirlwind of death. Playing as a warper and investing heavily in translocations can make up for the lack of escape; blink helps a ton early on, and if you get controlled blink castable you're basically immortal.

Hill Orc of Zin: Zin is a god that favors a huge invocations investment and hill orcs are good at that. Bonus points for being a Beogh heretic.

Ghoul of Nemelex: Ghouls like heavy armour and suck at magic, but can use evocations fairly well. So naturally running with the evocations god is pretty nice, as it gives you access to ranged options and other tricks for when your claws aren't enough. Throw on shadow dragon armour and you can be tanky, stealthy, and powerful. I imagine Pakellas also works well for this.

Spriggan of Gozag: Slow metabolism means you barely ever need to eat, so more gold goes into funding Gozag shops to deck your character out in amazing bling. Its similar to playing a mummy of Gozag but less extreme; you need to eat rarely instead of never, but in exchange you get to play as a race that isn't complete garbage.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
My best 3 rune win was a KoAs of Fedhas, so that's my recommendation. Standard stabber fair, with a blowgun to help in the early game. And I love wandering mushrooms in support of a stabber/shortblade user. No need to eat fruit either, so that can all go to evolution.

But, as for the synergy I've had the most fun with. Gargoyle Chaosknight has been the most fun. Xom is just a fun god in general, and Gargoyle makes the start much easier.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I've got some new things to try!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anything CK is pretty fun too. Xom used to outright kill you a lot in older versions that I played but he's mellowed out now. It's really funny when you walk into a hard fight and he mass confuses the whole room, including you

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time

And now we don't go into Lair 8 any more

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I found the +1 Eveningstar of Brilliance (holy, rN+, AC+5, Int+5) in a shop on D6, and after a quick trip to Orc 1-3 had enough gold to afford it. It's a neat weapon, but I think I might have found a bug. I went into a big room, something went invisible, autopickup was disabled, and then it entered the aura generated by Brilliance and I killed it. However, afterward autopickup wasn't re-enabled. Is that a bug (re-enable pickup on invisible enemies that went invisible before entering aura range) or not?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bagelsport posted:

And now we don't go into Lair 8 any more

And this is why we always invest in Axes or learn Mephitic Cloud (depending on play style).

Bagelsport
Nov 14, 2005

I picked up a doctor - he's good with a knife
Says anaesthetic's a waste
of his time
There are plenty of good reasons to learn mephitic cloud, but "so I can shoot it at 17 death yaks" is not one of them.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Just read a Scroll of Immolation, it'll work out

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Half of Dracula posted:

Just read a Scroll of Immolation, it'll work out

Sadly there's a bug with immolation, it doesn't cause a massive explosion on your death. Devs hate felids and/or fun?

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Scaramouche posted:

I found the +1 Eveningstar of Brilliance (holy, rN+, AC+5, Int+5) in a shop on D6, and after a quick trip to Orc 1-3 had enough gold to afford it. It's a neat weapon, but I think I might have found a bug. I went into a big room, something went invisible, autopickup was disabled, and then it entered the aura generated by Brilliance and I killed it. However, afterward autopickup wasn't re-enabled. Is that a bug (re-enable pickup on invisible enemies that went invisible before entering aura range) or not?

Sounds like it. Autopickup sometimes doesn't reactivate when invisible monsters are killed indirectly. If you hit Control-A you can toggle autopickup.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I mean what were you expecting, exactly? Baileys are ultra high-risk, high-reward even compared to other mini-branches.

I just didn't expect 2 ghosts to be sitting inside the little 4x4 room that you appear in when you enter the bailey.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Baileys tend to contain the most ghosts in my experience, followed by ice caves. I don't think I've ever seen one in a volcano or a labyrinth (thank god).

I'm still waiting for the day when labyrinths get removed and replaced with a portal that doesn't just have you walking into walls for 1000+ turns.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I miss when playing a Minotaur allowed you to map a Labyrinth. Not enough to play versions that old, mind ya', but I do miss it.

EDIT: I also want to say I like labyrinths and would be annoyed if they ever got removed.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 25, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

World Famous W posted:

I miss when playing a Minotaur allowed you to map a Labyrinth. Not enough to play versions that old, mind ya', but I do miss it.

EDIT: I also want to say I like labyrinths and would be annoyed if they ever got removed.

I like the loot in labyrinths.

I also like labyrinths that sometimes generated with 15 mini-vaults so that it's actually interesting (and dangerous) to travel through.

Edit: I think labyrinths would be better if they were a maze of those vaults, instead of just a plain maze. Unfortunately, that would mean that a lot more mini vaults would need to be created (in addition to altering the level gen code), which would be a lot of work and effort for a one level, (maybe) once a game area.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 25, 2016

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Spriggan of Gozag: Slow metabolism means you barely ever need to eat, so more gold goes into funding Gozag shops to deck your character out in amazing bling. Its similar to playing a mummy of Gozag but less extreme; you need to eat rarely instead of never, but in exchange you get to play as a race that isn't complete garbage.
Honestly unless your race has special food issues (Troll/Ghoul/Vampire) or you want to be using lots of higher level spells food is not a problem for Gozag. Unless you get really unlucky with food drops or are leaning on hungering abilities you won't ever need to buy a food shop, and if you find one in the wild it'll provide a ridiculous bounty for almost no cost.

The fact that Gozag stops you from getting hide armour or dancing weapons tends to be a bigger issue, for what those are worth.

e: Secret neat Gozag race: Octopodes. They don't care about troll/dragon armour and Gozag acquirements can bling you out with rings pretty quickly.

Darox fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 25, 2016

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

When I was playing my last dragonpode of Chei, I dropped in a couple times on a player doing a similar character, but worshiping Gozag. It was so blinged out that its stats were almost as good as mine. Either by luck or by decision, the player had ridiculously high dex, which is not what a dragonform character should go for. 70+ strength or bust.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm still waiting for the day when labyrinths get removed and replaced with a portal that doesn't just have you walking into walls for 1000+ turns.

I don't get this. Labyrinths are fun, and objectively so. Little kids get given mazes on workbooks, adults wander through trimmed hedges or halls of mirrors. If one does not personally enjoy the portal, then don't enter it. They're low-risk, low-reward and entirely optional. If the sight of that particular timed portal really grinds one's gears, then pretend it was an Ice Cave you don't have the gear for and let it expire.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Serephina posted:

I don't get this. Labyrinths are fun, and objectively so. Little kids get given mazes on workbooks, adults wander through trimmed hedges or halls of mirrors. If one does not personally enjoy the portal, then don't enter it. They're low-risk, low-reward and entirely optional. If the sight of that particular timed portal really grinds one's gears, then pretend it was an Ice Cave you don't have the gear for and let it expire.

Amen. I like the addition of the mini vaults and wouldn't complain about more/new ones, but labyrinths are perfect as is.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Mazes are fine but moving through it with the movement keys gets annoying fast. there's a reason most people extensively use tab+o

I do like labs though.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Serephina posted:

I just don't get how many people talk about spending thousands of turns wandering around them. Admittedly I don't play as much as many of those people, but of the dozens of labryinths I've been in I can only remember wandering aimlessly for an extended period of time once or twice.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

IronicDongz posted:

there's a reason most people extensively use tab+o

Complete tangent here, but tab+o is really a crawl-specific issue. In a lot of other RLs that I've played, tab is unnecessary and autoexplore is suicidal. "Fixing" that would required rebuilding crawl from the ground up.

vvvv You misunderstand me. The tab+o implementation is excellent, it's just the fact that it's needed is the shame. And we must play different RLs; I'm thinking more along the lines of DOOM RL, Sil, etc.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Feb 25, 2016

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Tab+o isn't issue, it's a major convenience and something that makes Crawl more tolerable than other roguelikes. The real issue with Crawl is that it's too long and so you simply spend too much time pressing tab+o. But just about every roguelike ends up having repetitive and boring gameplay at points and at least Crawl introduces a mechanism to address that. If people die because they overuse it, that's their problem.

protomexican
May 1, 2009
Floor god gave my HuNe^Kiku a Book of Death, a ring of Wizardry, and a Staff of Energy by D9. I'm casting hungerless bolts of draining and dispel undeads at everything and I don't give a fuuuuck! It's nice to BE an OOD for once.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Serephina posted:

Complete tangent here, but tab+o is really a crawl-specific issue. In a lot of other RLs that I've played, tab is unnecessary and autoexplore is suicidal. "Fixing" that would required rebuilding crawl from the ground up.

vvvv You misunderstand me. The tab+o implementation is excellent, it's just the fact that it's needed is the shame. And we must play different RLs; I'm thinking more along the lines of DOOM RL, Sil, etc.

I can understand autofight not being something you want to do in a lot of roguelikes, because most roguelikes have abilities that you should be using instead of mashing your character into their character (or your health is small enough that you can be in danger quickly doing so). I am really upset that autoexplore isn't more common and better made when present. My main problems in roguelikes are that I often miss a new enemy coming into LoS, and that I often try to explore every nook and cranny. Crawl's autoexplore fixes both of those in a very clean fashion.

DoomRL is the closest I can think of to being good without autoexplore, and that's because levels are very condensed and monsters make sounds. Even so, I still wish it had autoexplore.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I guess I'll be coming back to Snake then...

code:
 You fly downwards. Welcome to the Snake Pit!
 This branch contains the serpentine rune of Zot.
 You shout at the black mamba! x2
 14 nagas, a salamander and 13 snakes come into view.
 You shout at the black mamba!
 The naga sharpshooter shouts! The black mamba hisses angrily. x2
 The shock serpent hisses angrily. The naga mage shouts! The naga shouts!
 The black mamba hisses angrily. The naga mage shouts!
 The black mamba hisses angrily. You hear a shout!
 The black mamba hisses angrily. The naga shouts!
 The black mamba hisses angrily. The naga sharpshooter shouts! x2
 The anaconda hisses angrily. The naga shouts! The black mamba hisses angrily.
 The naga shouts! The black mamba hisses angrily. The naga shouts!
 The naga ritualist shouts! The black mamba hisses angrily.
_You hear an angry hiss.
EDIT: Dead in Elf.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 25, 2016

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1408-g69e564c (webtiles) character file.

ThermosAquaticus the Nimble (VSBe)                 Turns: 17265, Time: 01:01:05

Health: 81/81      AC: 41    Str: 25    XL:     15   Next: 34%
Magic:  22/22      EV: 19    Int:  7    God:    Trog [******]
Gold:   1226       SH:  6    Dex: 23    Spells: 0 memorised, 14 levels left

rFire  . . .      SeeInvis .    a - +6 quick blade (freeze)
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    L - +11 plate armour of Ally {Str+4 Dex+4}
rNeg   . . .      Faith    .    j - +0 buckler
rPois  .          Spirit   +    S - +2 helmet
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    R - +2 cloak {+Inv}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    l - +0 pair of gloves
SustAt .          Harm     .    M - +1 pair of boots
MR     ++...                    U - amulet of magic regeneration
Stlth  +.........               x - +3 ring of evasion
                                d - +5 ring of protection

@: very resistant to hostile enchantments, very unstealthy
A: fangs 3, magic resistance 1, regeneration 3, magic shield, antimagic bite, no
device heal 3, rot immunity
a: Berserk, Trog's Hand, Brothers in Arms, Burn Spellbooks, Renounce Religion,
Evoke Invisibility
So what do you do with all the xp you get as a VsBe? I'm at the end of lair at the moment.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

ThermosAquaticus posted:

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18-a0-1408-g69e564c (webtiles) character file.

A: fangs 3, magic resistance 1, regeneration 3, magic shield, antimagic bite, no
Evoke Invisibility
So what do you do with all the xp you get as a VsBe? I'm at the end of lair at the moment.

Keep pumping your defenses and Evocations. Maybe pick up a ranged weapon if you found something nice (or blowgun/throwing for needle gifts).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

ThermosAquaticus posted:

What Floodkiller said, but I'd go with Throwing rather than bows/crossbows (if you need another skill besides evo) so you can wear a proper shield.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

ThermosAquaticus posted:

code:

Evoke Invisibility

As above, weapon, armour, fighting, shields, evo, dodging and throwing. Also, why are you wearing an amulet of magic regen as a VsBe^Trog?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

World Famous W posted:

I guess I'll be coming back to Snake then...

Usually when I get poo poo like this I'll read a tele scroll before going down the stairs. 9/10 times I immediately port to a safer spot of the floor. The other time is like well, I didn't have much of a shot anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Unimpressed posted:

As above, weapon, armour, fighting, shields, evo, dodging and throwing. Also, why are you wearing an amulet of magic regen as a VsBe^Trog?

Magic Shield. And/or a lack of other options.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Usually when I get poo poo like this I'll read a tele scroll before going down the stairs. 9/10 times I immediately port to a safer spot of the floor. The other time is like well, I didn't have much of a shot anyway.

This particular Snake vault always has two staircases back up within the ambush. The third is randomly generated as normal; you come back to the level from that one, observing which staircase down hasn't turned red (nice change that; used to have to step to the other staircase and take it to make sure which ones to NOT take).

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 25, 2016

• Locked thread