Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CornHolio posted:

I'm a luddite. Can someone explain to me why I have to have a credit card with a microchip in it? Chase disabled my credit card without telling me, now I have some automatic payments that have probably been declined and they say I have no choice but to activate the chipped cards they sent me a few months back.

Aren't the risk factors greater with a chipped card, since you don't even need to touch the card to get the data from it?

No.

EMV cards, or Chip and PIN cards, are not necessarily contactless. You slide the chip portion of the card into the reader, and the reader actually touches pads on the chip, much like a SIM card works. Entering your PIN triggers some cryptographic magic that ensures that you were present when the transaction took place, and you entered your card. It eliminates card cloning.

meatpimp posted:

Chipped is not necessarily RFID. New credit cards have a sim-like set of contacts where instead of sliding the card through the card reader for the magnetic stripe data to transfer, you plug the card into the bottom of card readers.

It's slow, cumbersome and an unnecessary pain in the rear end, but they have probably already sent you a replacement with the chip.

Europe has had Chip and PIN cards for years, and they've not dissolved into a dystopian hellscape. It takes a few extra seconds, but at least you're not waiting for some mouth breathing teenager to count change, and some Ukrainian with a hundred bucks of electronics can't drain your bank account from an ATM in Bratislava.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Chipped cards are more secure than just swipe and signature.If someone really wants to steal your card and use it, it's possible since the system isn't fool-proof, but the chip makes it much harder to just steal a card and start using it (especially since it's not as simple as just cloning a mag strip). The RFID payment is usually limited between $50 - $100 depending on retailer as well, so in the event that your card gets physically stolen, the damage is limited before either you call it in or your bank's fraud detection kicks in, as long as you have a decently secure pin. And even with the RFID transactions, it'll ask for a pin randomly as an anti-theft measure.

Wiki's got a decent summary of the differences and the main arguments for why chip cards are considered more secure. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMV

Canada's had it for years now, get with program USA.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Considering the location of Wall Street you fuckers are decidedly rear end-backwards when it comes to certain banking concepts. I've not signed to use my card in a loooooong time.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

literally a fish posted:

I have a pretty simple outlook on this stuff. The world is falling apart, everything is poo poo, the political landscape in the US especially, life has no real purpose beyond making more life, nobody is here for a reason, everybody dies, and nothing whatsofuckingever that you do or say matters.

This is goddamn brilliant because it means that you get to decide what matters, and what is important to you. Same thing, really. It's not up to anyone else, it's not an innate part of the world or universe, it's just you.

If nothing matters, the only things that matter are the things that matter to you.

Do you want know what matters to me? Well, tough luck, sweet cheeks. I'm gonna make you read it anyway. The things that matter to me are my mates, cars, you crazy fuckers (:love:), having places to work on cars, turbochargers, nitrous oxide, family, V8s, superchargers, RIDING ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME, having somewhere comfortable to sleep. As long as I have these things (or for some of them, as long as they exist in the world), I'm good.

You get to decide what you care about. You don't get to decide what the sad little voice in the back of your mind is going to keep whining on and on about, but you do get to decide if you want that bastard to shut the gently caress up and go do something about it.

The world's whatever you want it to be. Yeah, it's a pretty lovely earth right now, but it's the only one you've got, and at least you landed up in a developed part of it. You don't get a do-over, m8, you just gotta keep on dancing.

Buy a $500 camaro and ghost ride it off a bridge.
:c00l::respek::c00l:

Exactly 100% this. Gandhi said "be the change you want to see in the world" and I want everyone to not be dicks, fix their own cars & computers, and spend their evenings playing music or going to shows. I'm doin' it, Gandhi, I'm doin' it!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Anyone have any experience with RDL and/or SQL Report Designer? I need a crash course. How powerful of a language/environment is it?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone have any experience with RDL and/or SQL Report Designer? I need a crash course. How powerful of a language/environment is it?

Disclaimer: I have not touched it... but spending my days in SSMS, some quick perusal of technet...

It sounds like you can do quite a bit with it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Safety Dance posted:

Europe has had Chip and PIN cards for years, and they've not dissolved into a dystopian hellscape.

Well, that's debatable. But you're right that it's not because of chip and PIN cards.

scuz posted:

:c00l::respek::c00l:

Exactly 100% this. Gandhi said "be the change you want to see in the world" and I want everyone to not be dicks, fix their own cars & computers, and spend their evenings playing music or going to shows. I'm doin' it, Gandhi, I'm doin' it!

It seems to be a common theme in most of humanity and most religions and codes of ethics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule

And yet so few people seem to be able to follow that one simple rule/guideline.

I may be a misanthropic sadbrain gently caress, but I'm still generally polite and nice to people, unless they do something to really cement themselves as major shitheads.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

88h88 posted:

Considering the location of Wall Street you fuckers are decidedly rear end-backwards when it comes to certain banking concepts. I've not signed to use my card in a loooooong time.

Our chipped cards still use a signature and not a pin, which is stupid.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

scuz posted:

Gandhi was also all about ahimsa, and while I'm all ahimsa in the house when I'm thinking about it, it doesn't take much for me to want to punch a motherfucker in the face.

I guess I have a long way to go. :shrug:

But seriously, just the premise that if someone hits you, not hitting back is NOT the goal... the goal is to not have the "hitting back" thought cross your mind? That's some next-level dedication that I doubt I'll ever have.

nm posted:

Our chipped cards still use a signature and not a pin, which is stupid.

Exactly. As implemented in the US, chipped cards just take more time without providing any additional security, except perhaps making skimmers obsolete.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

meatpimp posted:

Exactly. As implemented in the US, chipped cards just take more time without providing any additional security, except perhaps making skimmers obsolete.

They are still more secure because even without the PIN, the cards can't be easily duplicated or cloned, so a thief has to be in physical possession of your stolen card to use it at a physical terminal. Of course that doesn't help for online 'card not present' transactions, but neither does Chip+PIN for that.

Also, the extra time is solvable, some chip terminals that use a good processor are just as fast as non chip terminals, other than the fact that you have to leave your card in the terminal for those couple of seconds that the transaction takes.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meatpimp posted:

Your banks are strange.

75% of my purchases over in the UK are now not even chip and pin but contactless (against any of my bank debit/credit cards which all do it). Its quicker and easier than cash.

Are things like Apple Pay not starting to be used in the US now? are your banks just not going to bother making any effort and just let people move to contactless using their phones?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Usually in Canada chipped cards are stolen with much more complicated skimmers, often being built inside another debit card terminal that the criminal swaps out for the real one after distracting the clerk. That way they can scam the challenge-response and the PIN in one shot.

You would think the POS systems would be set up so that removing a paired debit card terminal and replacing it with a new unauthenticated one rings some alarm bells, but apparently not.

Most of my purchases are contactless at this point.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

Ignore manufacturer warranties, you lose more in depreciation on a new enough car to have one than these are generally worth. If the Octavia is okay look at a used diesel VRS. They're solid cars and there's loads to choose from.

Don't buy a car now for what you might be doing in 5 years. The car will be 5 years older and maybe better to replace then.

Came here to post exactly this.

PCP is stupid money. The Mercedes will cost you £1,000 to repair the electric cigarette lighter within 3 months of purchase.

Get a 3-5 year old Octavia and enjoy a decent car, with much more money in your pocket.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

meatpimp posted:

I was going through something a few years back and this dirty hippy chick said something that stuck with me --

If you're upset about a problem, you have two problems -- a) the upset and b) the problem.

It sounded like hippy bullshit to me, but by god, it's true.

She didn't hand you a small baggie of pixie dust did she?

My wife has me going to church. I don't really get to excited about all of it, but the pastor does give some pretty decent sermons, I would just piss away an hour on the internet anyways, and there's free doughnuts at the end, so I am not going to complain. But anyways, he did have sermon a few weeks ago and it kinda hit home with me a little. The condensed version is

the pastor guy posted:

The world is focused so much on me, they forget about the community that surrounds them. The country is so focused on a single political issue, they fail to look at the whole candidate. The whole community fails to recognize when some one falls on hard times, and instead of pitching in and handing them some bread, they instead choose to chastise them for being poor and on welfare. We chose to judge others and instead chose to forgive. We focus on ourselves and focus on how many facebook likes we can get and not to help others.

I missed a ton of stuff, but this is the big parts that i took away. Long story short, I think we have lost the sense of community as a whole. Can we change every ones mind? Nope, but we can sure as hell be pleasant to each other.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
STOP BREAKING THE FORUMS

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

Why do we (as humanity) persist with our petty little bullshit scrabbles over particular corners of an insignificant little planet?

Total lack of any real communication which results in assumptions and world leaders taking poo poo personally.

Something like that.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rhyno posted:

STOP BREAKING THE FORUMS

gently caress YOU DAD

I DO WHAT I WANT

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

blk posted:

I called GooberPeas about the Lotus I was looking at buying a few weeks back and we started talking about other stuff. He ended up recommending this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Essentialism-...ds=essentialism

Which was perfect for where I was - working 3 jobs for other people as well as a few 'jobs' (projects/whatever) for myself.

It was perfect timing. If anyone's feeling overextended, I'd recommend they pick it up.

Glad it helped you! Would highly recommend it to the entire goon community.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I wish my bank would give me an EMV card already, dammit :(

The downside of being with a tiny town credit union.

Ferremit posted:

Woo! Finally got my hands on some real Psuedorephidrine to deal with this head cold of mine. Im sick of my sinus' having a sloshing feeling...

The gov cracked down hard on the sale of real Psuedo so everyone changed their forumula to use Phenylephidrine... which doesnt loving work. Its almost at the stage where its easier to actually go and find a drug dealer, buy some ice off him and then break it down to extract the real pseudo out of it than go to the loving pharmacy and buy tablets.

:v: http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf :v:

stump
Jan 19, 2006

There is plenty of advice to give, but the most important one is: buy the car YOU want, as long as it isn't a dog, roughly fits your needs, and you can afford it. All cars are, to one extent or another, a pit of money and hassle. You might as well have one you like.

But, a few thing to think about.

Work in cost per mile - fuel, depreciation, maintenance, insurance, tax.

I.e. £2000 car, kept for 2 years / 70,000 miles. £750/ year maintenance. £500 ins/tax. £12ppm fuel (~35mpg). Worth £500 after 2 years = 18ppm

£15500 Mercedes, kept 4 years / 140k. £750/ year maintenance, £500 ins / tax. Worth £4000 after 4 years 8ppm fuel (50mpg) = 20ppm

These figures are just pulled out my butt (Maint costs might be a bit low for both, depending on luck) but they are a good starter.

Worth thinking about stuff like having a car with basic 16" wheels as opposed to fancy 19's - not only would tyres be cheaper but the ride would be better.

Another thing to consider is your commute speed - lots of stop/start? Cruising at 50? Cruising at 80? Might be worth taking a long test drive in whatever car you are considering and seeing what economy it gets on typical commute style driving. Some cars economy fall to poo poo once you get past speeds seen on the testing cycle.

But going back to my first point, get the car you want. You'll be much more forgiving of poor economy or an expensive repair bill if you have the right car.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Finished the class I had to focus on.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CommieGIR posted:

Finished the class I had to focus on.

Oh hey, it's that guy.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
HazMat training WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Anyone here work for USPS? The dude at the office I use to ship out stuff told me to use him as a reference and he'd try and hook me up. Starting wage is $16/hr and tops out at $27/hr after 5 years.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
As what?

I know its not the same but I used to work FedEx and I am not the type of person that likes to work outside in the NE coast weather. Summer is great, but I was always miserable whenever it rained or snowed or was especially cold.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

As the dude that chills inside and weighs and prices out packages and stuff. Not really interested as I just got a new job, but it is always good to have a backup.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

How about you try and keep the one you just got you loving spoon.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

kastein posted:

I wish my bank would give me an EMV card already, dammit :(

The downside of being with a tiny town credit union.

:v: http://heterodoxy.cc/meowdocs/pseudo/pseudosynth.pdf :v:

Thats kinda what i was working off, and considering the absolutely MASSIVE problem Australia has with Ice, its probably easier to find an ice dealer than get a pharmacist to hand over proper medication.

It was funny tho- we have to show ID to be able to buy it here in Aus now, and it goes into a national database that person XYZ bought 12 tablets at location X on date xx/xx/xxxx. Stops you going from chemist to chemist to chemist getting tabs to turn into meth. First ID that came out of my wallet was my Firearms Licence. Firearms licence is the highest form of ID in Australia- Higher than drivers licence, higher than passport, higher than anything else.

It has your name, your signature and your licence class on it. No other personal details, no address, nada. Well done government!

Bankchat: I think Aus got rid of signatures all together bout 3-4 years ago now and went fully PIN and Pay Wave (contactless) has been around for a fair few years now too- $100 per transaction limit before you have to PIN, but no limit on the number of transactions per day. Which was HILARIOUS when one of my co-workers up at Pt Augusta got his GOVERNMENT credit card stolen out of the work truck before he realised it. $1K a day limit, $10K a month limit. Theif went absolutely mad with it paywaving his way around Pt Augusta- clocked up about $4.5K on it before anyone realised it was gone and the fraudulent transactions showed up on the system and someone noticed them!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Anyone here work for USPS? The dude at the office I use to ship out stuff told me to use him as a reference and he'd try and hook me up. Starting wage is $16/hr and tops out at $27/hr after 5 years.

I...kinda do... not like, directly, but I'm working on a proposal for their next-gen vehicle :v:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Cakefool posted:

I just said I'm not interested. :jerkbag:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

I laughed way too hard at this.

On a different note, today is the day my fat rear end starts running. Weirdly, my weight hasn't really gone up, per se, from my usual fighting weight but for some reason my belly looks bigger. I hate running. But its cheap and can be done pretty much any time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just said I'm not interested. :jerkbag:

...then why bother asking?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

I...kinda do... not like, directly, but I'm working on a proposal for their next-gen vehicle :v:

I hope it's a right hand drive Subaru Baja built on the current-generation Legacy chassis with underslung turbo, and the bed is entirely full of pneumatically operated drone mortars that deploy buzzing quadcopters which deliver letters to homes with laser accuracy.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"

Ferremit posted:

Thats kinda what i was working off, and considering the absolutely MASSIVE problem Australia has with Ice, its probably easier to find an ice dealer than get a pharmacist to hand over proper medication.
For a second there I was hoping Australia had some kind of crazy underground world of illicit ice trafficking from colder countries.

Souped up refrigeration trucks making races against time across the continent dodging the constabulary and fighting off roving gangs of ice addicts trying to get their cooled drink fix.

I'd watch it.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MonkeyNutZ posted:

Souped up refrigeration trucks making races against time across the continent dodging the constabulary and fighting off roving gangs of ice addicts trying to get their cooled drink fix.

I'd watch it.

Do not, my friends, become addicted to ice; it will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence.

Kinda works both ways, doesn't it?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I thought this is what happened during australian summerd anyways :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I hope it's a right hand drive Subaru Baja built on the current-generation Legacy chassis with underslung turbo, and the bed is entirely full of pneumatically operated drone mortars that deploy buzzing quadcopters which deliver letters to homes with laser accuracy.

Well I think I found the delivery vehicle for my indiscrete dildo delivery service.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Elmnt80 posted:

I thought this is what happened during australian summerd anyways :v:

Swap "Cooled drink" for "Beer" and your pretty on the money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Cakefool posted:

I am going to start calling people spoons. This will keep me from ever getting fired.

• Locked thread