Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

neonnoodle posted:

Better Call Saul is so good. I was not expecting it to be so good.

When i first heard about it I honestly thought it was going to be freaking awful. Like, what can you do with this jokey lawyer guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

hemale in pain posted:

When i first heard about it I honestly thought it was going to be freaking awful. Like, what can you do with this jokey lawyer guy?

I wasn't expecting it to be a prequel at all. And yeah it's been really good, lotsa interesting characters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Same here although I've managed to find movies more often than not still.

Oh yea, I can always browse around and find something from years past that I missed for whatever reason. But they aren't getting any decent new releases anymore. They could have stuff like Ex Machina, Bone Tomahawk, Interstellar, the most recent Hunger Games sequel, Slow West, etc. but Prime and Hulu are getting those kind of movies these days. It wasn't too long ago that Netflix had You're Next, The Wolf of Wall Street, Nightcrawler, and Noah all go up within a few months, but these past 3-4 months haven't been like that.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

That Works posted:

I wasn't expecting it to be a prequel at all. And yeah it's been really good, lotsa interesting characters.

I really liked that they opened up the series with the post-Breaking Bad Saul living his Nebraska Cinnabon Manager lifestyle, depressed, fearful, and ruminating. Not only did they wrap up what his life post BB is like (massively downbeat, probably for the rest of his days) but the stark contrast with the goofy, upbeat fuckup Jimmy McGill really hammered home just how much of a path of ruin Walt carved out in his downfall. Instantly complimentary to BB, while launching Better Call Saul off out of the original show's shadow.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Plus I feel like they can't run Better Call Saul into the ground with tons of seasons both due to the in-universe timing and the fact that Jonathan Banks isn't getting any younger.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not as crazy but I'd say better call Saul is almost as good as the source material.

I really need to watch season 2

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its just crazy that all this acting ability was hidden inside Odenkirk for so long. He's probably the best lead actor in television right now(Mads would be a contender but Hannibal got cancelled).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

dreadnought posted:

What specifically are you looking forward to? There's a lot of stuff I'm not familiar with but it overall looks pretty dire. Except Heaven Knows What, everyone needs to watch that as soon as it goes up. It's incredible.

Groundhog Day, Wrath of Khan. Yeah they're old movies, but I haven't seen them in a long time.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Basebf555 posted:

Its just crazy that all this acting ability was hidden inside Odenkirk for so long. He's probably the best lead actor in television right now(Mads would be a contender but Hannibal got cancelled).

He was always a better, more nuanced actor than David Cross on Mr. Show, but that's such a low bar it doesn't really wow you.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

neonnoodle posted:

Agreed.

The only thing that slightly worries me is I don't want to the show to be entirely about his descent into becoming a criminal lawyer, and he full takes the role of "Saul" in the final ep. I hope he gets to Saul soon and we get to see his illegal shenanigans for a few seasons.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Agreed.

The only thing that slightly worries me is I don't want to the show to be entirely about his descent into becoming a criminal lawyer, and he full takes the role of "Saul" in the final ep. I hope he gets to Saul soon and we get to see his illegal shenanigans for a few seasons.

What if they eventually took Better Call Saul into the BB timeline, so you could see the crazy poo poo he got up behind the scenes while covering for Walter White?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
That would be "the tits", as the kids say these days.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if two or three years from now, assuming the show is still going and they're getting closer to BB time, if Cranston would maybe consider coming back to do some scenes. They could probably film them fairly quickly and then maybe spread them out over the course of an entire season by making them the ongoing precredits thing.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Basebf555 posted:

I wonder if two or three years from now, assuming the show is still going and they're getting closer to BB time, if Cranston would maybe consider coming back to do some scenes. They could probably film them fairly quickly and then maybe spread them out over the course of an entire season by making them the ongoing precredits thing.

Or, poo poo, just use the scenes from BB, since that's all the interaction that exists between the two shows, right?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

magnificent7 posted:

Or, poo poo, just use the scenes from BB, since that's all the interaction that exists between the two shows, right?

Not necessarily, there's plenty of gaps in time where they could have had meetings we never saw.

Edit: Misunderstood you, sorry. Yea there's no reason they couldn't use those scenes. I'd like to see some new ones though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Breaking Bad covered two years over five seasons, so there's no reason they can't be pretty flexible in terms of timeline.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Cranston is already on record saying he'd be happy to come back and shoot stuff for BCS.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

neonnoodle posted:

The Mike episodes were as good as anything from breaking bad. I was pleasantly surprised by the show.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Mike episodes felt so much like BB that I think they felt almost incongruous with BCS. They are such a different tone and style. Still good, just belonged in BB proper more than BCS.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Groundhog Day, Wrath of Khan. Yeah they're old movies, but I haven't seen them in a long time.

Word. I'm looking forward to Star Treks 1 and 2 as I've actually never seen them (always been more of a Star Wars guy)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GreyPowerVan posted:

What are some gems you guys have seen on Netflix that most people haven't watched? Like Babadook but doesn't have to be horror.
I almost forgot, but Welcome to the Jungle is really good as well. It may be my favorite thing by JCVD since, well... JCVD. His character is amazing, and the rest of the cast and characters work very well.

On another JCVD kick, I saw Pound of Flesh and it was absolutely pitch-perfect over the top, and did absolutely everything you expect it's going to do to the point where I multiple times would holler out, "are you loving KIDDING ME!? I knew that had to happen, I knew that character had to have done this, I knew the hooker had to have a heart of gold!" :laugh: But watching JCVD run around manila or w.e he was at and doing split-kicks and MMA wrestling with people, within 24 hours of having his kidney removed.. Yeah it's exactly what I loved about all his action movies from his coke-addled years. If you like his old stuff you'll love pound of flesh, it's dumb as a bag of rocks and feels like a 13 year-old did a bunch of coke and wrote a script. It's great.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thwomp posted:

The Mike episodes felt so much like BB that I think they felt almost incongruous with BCS. They are such a different tone and style. Still good, just belonged in BB proper more than BCS.

The Mike episodes are what really got me into it even more. He was always an interesting character and they did a great job with his backstory.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The moment where Better Call Saul really clicked for me and I knew I was going to watch every episode was when Jimmy has to find the Kettlmans within 24 hours or Nacho has threatened to kill him. Specifically, when Nacho is released and he's still acting like a threatening rear end in a top hat, and Jimmy just lets him have it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

TIME TRAVELERS on Prime
Has the worst androids.
A janitor jumps through a time portal made by scientists. They chase after him and get trapped 107 years in the future. Future sucks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So who bit the incredibly large bullet and watched any of Fuller House?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

I watched the first episode. They just tried to cram in as many references to Full House as possible. The rest of the episodes seem set up to be a very generic, dumb, family-oriented sitcom.

edit: it wasn't good. Don't watch.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GonSmithe posted:

I watched then trailer and died of embarrassment.

I've been ghost-posting for the last week.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

GonSmithe posted:

I haven't but this guy did and, uh, what the gently caress? https://vine.co/v/i6TXtQDxd1a

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Allyn posted:

I haven't but this guy did and, uh, what the gently caress? https://vine.co/v/i6TXtQDxd1a
So Fuller House ripped off that scene from Breaking Bad where they dissolve the corpse of the little kid Todd killed in a barrel of hydrofluoric acid?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Allyn posted:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Got around to watching Slow West finally, it's pretty good, but goddamn did they ever lay it on hard with the symbolism.

I mean goddamn he starts out covered in ashes (sign of death), everything is white in the early scenes after the ashes, to symbolize his purity, he gets a stigmata wound and then almost immediately after we get a priest and some big-rear end iron nails.. Did you ever think he was going to survive? :laugh:

Very good movie, but not the best western of last year.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 28, 2016

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Allyn posted:

I assume they all got sprayed by a skunk and are bathing in tomato juice?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Cooked is really good so far. Basically NPR in video form but I'm enjoying it a lot.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Dang. The Fury wasn't very good but everyone should just skip to the ending at watch that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The end of The Fury is the only reason they made The Fury. It's better than that internet-famous Turkish (?) movie that ends with a dude getting shot by a rocket and exploding, with text that explains what happens to the characters afterward.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Jack Gladney posted:

The end of The Fury is the only reason they made The Fury. It's better than that internet-famous Turkish (?) movie that ends with a dude getting shot by a rocket and exploding, with text that explains what happens to the characters afterward.

It was a Philippine production, and it's called Blood Debt.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

It was a Philippine production, and it's called Blood Debt.

THANK YOU! I've been looking for that one for a while now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

I assume they all got sprayed by a skunk and are bathing in tomato juice?

This is correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Taeter City is on Amazon Prime and... boy was that a fun & bonkers piece of gory poo poo.