Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Do it ironically posted:

Not that it matters because I'm probably going to be let go like most other people and then I'll move to another province, but the NDP hasn't done anything to support the private sector (mainly oil and gas) and all of the people losing jobs when there were opportunities to do so, as in give incentives on the short term as part of the royalty review till oil is more stable, push for an increased use of natural gas in Alberta, which we have an abundance of.

Cut public sector salaries and layoff superfluous positions there are tens of thousands of jobs gone and tax won't come in from them supporting a high paid public sector isn't feasible anymore.

To be honest I'm just waiting for a severance package like a lot of people then I'm going to apply for government engineering positions in other provinces I think it's time for me the gently caress the dog like others, there's no point in working hard I've realised when you can half rear end a pension and vacation days from the government.

Most people I know who actually still have jobs have taken huge pay cuts, I personally have taken 30% paycut in the last year and a half, to hear the NDP talk about not freezing public sector salaries or thinking about lowering them isn't going to do them any favours.

Do it ironically posted:

Hand out government contracts for things that would benefit the province like say land reclamation, abandoning orphan wells, groundwater testing, actual things that need to be done that would give the smaller companies and joe vac truck owner a job in the meanwhile. I've seen one government contract come through the pipeline and it was hilarious in how many companies tendered for it because there's no work

I absolutely believe this is a thing and am jealous of my friends who work for the CRA in Calgary in how little work they actually have to do, and I will be one of them eventually.

:qq: Albertan / Why can't you people understand WE are getting laid off THIS time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
lol I love the smug attitude of everyone who hates alberta like it's not a part of canada, they're just jealous they didn't get in on it when it was good

I don't care that I will be laid off, I'm actually looking forward to getting a change of scenery in another province

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
That last post is undermining my suspension of disbelief.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think this general attitude people in this thread have towards Albertans is really hosed, but you're doing a good job of demonstrating why they have that attitude.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
https://twitter.com/robertbenzie/status/702964650439274496

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Curious what this means.

I have to say that in general I think osap is pretty fair for lower income people, but not really low income or kids of parents who aren't low income.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Do it ironically posted:

lol I love the smug attitude of everyone who hates alberta like it's not a part of canada, they're just jealous they didn't get in on it when it was good

I don't care that I will be laid off, I'm actually looking forward to getting a change of scenery in another province

Yes our problems with Alberta stem from jealousy, alright.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Imagine all the money that could be saved and all the private sector jobs created/saved if the government just fired all government workers and "contracted out" to get all the work done. That way no one would lose their jobs and the economy would be stimulated.

PS
Unemployed government workers don't hurt the economy.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Do it ironically posted:

Let me be clear, I don't hate Alberta or it's people. The layoffs happening must be a shock and probably suck for those affected. The attitude of albertans who demand bailouts for the private sector but go on to poo poo on the public sector as lazy people collecting free money is a joke.

If we want to include personal experiences I'm always a quarter away form being laid off for my 3rd time in the past 10 years. Try these boots on for size and let me show you how sympathetic I feel to people that think I'm jealous of their situation.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

vainman posted:

What departments do you feel are superfluous?

the canadian forces

the privy council

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2016/

I guess the big thing is shifting tuition grants around to focus on low income kids, it'll start 10 months before the next election. Cool. I haven't figured out how they got the deficit from 7.5 to 5.7b yet

quote:

The government is transforming student financial assistance to make postsecondary education more accessible and affordable. To help more students qualify for grants and access the student loan system, the government will create a single major upfront grant — the Ontario Student Grant (OSG), starting in the 2017–18 school year. This will be done by redirecting 100 per cent of the funding from the Ontario Tuition Grant, Ontario Student Opportunity Grant, Ontario Access Grants and other grants offered by OSAP. These changes will ensure that financial support is transparent, timely and targeted to those students with the greatest financial need.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

I haven't figured out how they got the deficit from 7.5 to 5.7b yet

Harnessing the power of dyslexia

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

I think this general attitude people in this thread have towards Albertans is really hosed, but you're doing a good job of demonstrating why they have that attitude.

I'm from Buenos Aires southern ontario and I say-

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Albertas deficit could have been solved if only Notley had spent more money on government tenders..

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Do it ironically posted:

Not that it matters because I'm probably going to be let go like most other people and then I'll move to another province, but the NDP hasn't done anything to support the private sector (mainly oil and gas) and all of the people losing jobs when there were opportunities to do so, as in give incentives on the short term as part of the royalty review till oil is more stable, push for an increased use of natural gas in Alberta, which we have an abundance of.

Cut public sector salaries and layoff superfluous positions there are tens of thousands of jobs gone and tax won't come in from them supporting a high paid public sector isn't feasible anymore.

To be honest I'm just waiting for a severance package like a lot of people then I'm going to apply for government engineering positions in other provinces I think it's time for me the gently caress the dog like others, there's no point in working hard I've realised when you can half rear end a pension and vacation days from the government.

Most people I know who actually still have jobs have taken huge pay cuts, I personally have taken 30% paycut in the last year and a half, to hear the NDP talk about not freezing public sector salaries or thinking about lowering them isn't going to do them any favours.

where exactly should these public sector cuts go into effect?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Franks Happy Place posted:

What about when he's pointing at the suitcase of cash?

Same answer. Bags of cash associated with little Billie are guaranteed to be haunted by the spirit of Faye Leung, Vancouver's crazy rich hat lady. Just not worth it to suddenly have her pop up and start shrieking "WHERE'S MY MONEY? YOU STOLE MY MONEY!!" when you're trying to kick back and enjoy your ill-gotten gains or flog your Disneyland knockoff. None may withstand the voice of an upset Faye.

My Google-fu is failing me - I can't find an audio file of that telephone recording from the conflict of interest investigation. Or the rap/pop song she did later with some group or other.

gently caress, this province is weird.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Baronjutter posted:

Imagine all the money that could be saved and all the private sector jobs created/saved if the government just fired all government workers and "contracted out" to get all the work done. That way no one would lose their jobs and the economy would be stimulated.

PS
Unemployed government workers don't hurt the economy.

Duh, government workers aren't real workers. They're just a bunch of women's studies majors and liberal arts students who couldn't make it in the Real World, and now only get in the way of Makers and Doers, which is of course when they can be bothered to do any work while at the job (rather than file grievances on behalf of whiny women, coloureds, indians, atheists and queers), which is of course only when they can be bothered to show up at all (rather than spending all their time on stress leave.) I know this because something something I saw a guy in a roads truck once.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 25, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Hexigrammus posted:

Same answer. Bags of cash associated with little Billie are guaranteed to be haunted by the spirit of Faye Leung, Vancouver's crazy rich hat lady. Just not worth it to suddenly have her pop up and start shrieking "WHERE'S MY MONEY? YOU STOLE MY MONEY!!" when you're trying to kick back and enjoy your ill-gotten gains or flog your Disneyland knockoff. None may withstand the voice of an upset Faye.

My Google-fu is failing me - I can't find an audio file of that telephone recording from the conflict of interest investigation. Or the rap/pop song she did later with some group or other.

gently caress, this province is weird.

http://fayeleung.com/fantasygardens/

:eyepop:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Total program spending is rising 1% and then 1.7%, yikes.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

PittTheElder posted:

Meanwhile in Calgary, public consultation meetings on the SW Transitway have been cancelled because of threats to city employees. From what I can tell, the small group of people staunchly opposed to this are upset that transit might bring poor people to their neighbourhoods, and are loving livid about that. And everyone knows public transit only creates congestion.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nenshi-reacts-southwest-rapid-transit-meeting-1.3462880

Jesus Christ. And I thought Hamilton's obstructionism towards public transit was bad.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

The only responses I've seen to this so far are "What about the middle class! This is classism, the middle man is getting screw while the rich and poor laugh at us with their fully paid for degrees!"

Oh also the Middle Class Ontarioian is paying for immigrants educations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
People are saying it punishes those who saved for the education of their children but I assume it's means tested based on parental income rather than educational assets so that wouldn't be the case.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mad Hamish posted:

Jesus Christ. And I thought Hamilton's obstructionism towards public transit was bad.

The problem is that Calgary Transit sucks so much that it's impossible not to hate them and want to kill them, no matter how you feel about transit in general. I love transit, and I would love to live in a city where transit were a usable option, but Calgary isn't that city.

These people are assholes with stupid, bad opinions, but I enjoy them anyway because they are harassing city hall and Calgary Transit. The city should ignore their baseless complaints so that transit can actually get to a point where it's not an appalling embarrassment to our city and an affront to human dignity, but in the meantime I have no problem with Calgary Transit and the City and its workers being told to go gently caress themselves. That's pretty much the experience every Calgary Transit customer receives anyway, so turnaround is only fair play.

EDIT: I should note this doesn't include threats of violence or actual violence, or any kind of sexual harassment. That's not cool. Calling them all a bunch of useless overpaid cunts is, though.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 26, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

The only responses I've seen to this so far are "What about the middle class! This is classism, the middle man is getting screw while the rich and poor laugh at us with their fully paid for degrees!"

Oh also the Middle Class Ontarioian is paying for immigrants educations.

Did the Liberals define which version of middle class they wanted to use for this? Is the the Trudeau middle class of 90k-210k that is totally deserving of tax breaks or is it the 25k-90k that gets trotted out when it means spending money?

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

cowofwar posted:

People are saying it punishes those who saved for the education of their children but I assume it's means tested based on parental income rather than educational assets so that wouldn't be the case.

Given the record of this country with means testing (and how many handouts we give to the wealthy elderly) I wouldn't assume that.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Another day another Provincial Government under investigation for corruption

This time it's Manitoba though.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Imagine a grown rear end man getting so upset about road work that he's screaming death threats and grabbing female employees by their collar at a town hall. Imagine his name is Donkers.

vainman fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 26, 2016

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Furnaceface posted:

Did the Liberals define which version of middle class they wanted to use for this? Is the the Trudeau middle class of 90k-210k that is totally deserving of tax breaks or is it the 25k-90k that gets trotted out when it means spending money?

This is the Ontario Liberals and grants are being given to families with less than 50k in income, so everyone is complaining about the plight of the 50k-100k middle class who are so downtrotten.

Selinger truly is an corrupt rear end in a top hat to take leadership of a party that had an 81% approval rating and a commanding majorty in 2007 to what it is today.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 26, 2016

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

This is the Ontario Liberals and grants are being given to families with less than 50k in income, so everyone is complaining about the plight of the 50k-100k middle class who are so downtrotten.

To be fair, post secondary should be free for everyone regardless of income or social status. :v:

50k still seems low but at this point its better than nothing. Im also assuming there are a bunch of other hilarious hoops to jump through like being between the ages of 18 and 21, having no part time work during your schooling or else you lose the funding, and maintaining an average grade of X which will limit the access to it even further. Because it would be the most OLP thing to do.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

To be fair, post secondary should be free for everyone regardless of income or social status. :v:

This just leads to credential inflation and makes it even harder for low income individuals to catch a break.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Jordan7hm posted:

This just leads to credential inflation and makes it even harder for low income individuals to catch a break.

That pretty much already happened. High school used to be enough to make a really good living back in the 1960s. Now you'd be hard pressed to get a good job with a high school diploma even if you do have hookups and connections.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
'Entry level position, 6 month contract with a possibility of contract extensions, no benefits, 35k annual compensation. minimum education level: PHD'

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Furnaceface posted:

50k still seems low but at this point its better than nothing. Im also assuming there are a bunch of other hilarious hoops to jump through like being between the ages of 18 and 21, having no part time work during your schooling or else you lose the funding, and maintaining an average grade of X which will limit the access to it even further. Because it would be the most OLP thing to do.

Wouldn't universities themselves achieve this with their admissions? Does this extend to grad school?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

EvilJoven posted:

'Entry level position, 6 month contract with a possibility of contract extensions, no benefits, 35k annual compensation. minimum education level: PHD'

Junior positions already require 5 years experience

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

You forgot "4+ years experience" in those requirements.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kraftwerk posted:

That pretty much already happened. High school used to be enough to make a really good living back in the 1960s. Now you'd be hard pressed to get a good job with a high school diploma even if you do have hookups and connections.

Can confirm. Your resume can be baller and you can have connections and references that have given talks at Harvard, but unless you can show you blew $50k on 4 years of partying then you're not even getting an interview. It's become quite depressing, I doubt I'll have the mental fortitude to avoid suicide past another ten years of this to be quite honest.

EvilJoven posted:

I know guys with 15 years experience in their fields and masters degrees barely scraping $30k. This country is hosed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's really hard to respond to complaints like that, when there's so much that goes into getting a job beyond just education and posted qualifications. My experience with going back to school (I graduate soon thank gently caress) has me really lamenting the lack of practical education we're providing people on how to network to get a job, and I have absolutely no idea how you teach that. How do you teach people that it's important to go out to mixers, or participate in clubs, or attend industry events, even if it doesn't result in a job this very second, because it's the attitude behind it that will get you the job.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Point out that it's the schmucks who spent 4 years partying every night at Uni and skipped almost every class who are walking into $80k out the door while the studious ones are sitting unemployed on the bread line.

If they can't logic out the connection there, they can't be helped anyways. Most people "get it" by the time they start nearing 30. :shrug:

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you're serious, seek therapy.

Yeah, that'll help. "Mr. Counsellor, I feel a crushing despair because I am a talented and intelligent individual who can barely scrape by each month, because the workforce has decided to stack the cards against anyone who didn't attend university. Hell, even my friends who did go to university are barely getting ahead financially. Frankly it's become exhausting mentally and physically, and I don't want to be doing drudge work for poor wages when I hit 40, so I think it's wise that I quit before my body gives out and life gets even worse for me."

A therapist isn't going to fix the underlying economic reality I was born into, ya dumb gently caress.

Rime fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 26, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rime posted:

I doubt I'll have the mental fortitude to avoid suicide past another ten years of this to be quite honest.

If you're serious, seek therapy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

EvilJoven posted:

That is actually verbatim offers I've seen as a post-doc in life sciences. Normally 1-2 year contracts with 6-12 month probationary period though.