Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The "Denial is a sign of guilt" poster in that sephirot/powerman 5000 thread is a fuckin triiiip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

As a bard I'm feeling a lot of love this patch. Wars love me for warden's. Healers love me for RoD (though they still miss even with the debuff). Everyone else loves me for foe's/paeon. :feelsgood:

brennon posted:

Also sleep and bind going to be so furiously imbalanced people will realize the true terror of CC.

Warden's gonna be so good! LOVE ME EVERYONE!

Side note wolves' den has actually been popping with 5 or less mins queues on Aether. It's weird but take advantage if you're interested!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blockhouse posted:

The "Denial is a sign of guilt" poster in that sephirot/powerman 5000 thread is a fuckin triiiip

If they were really innocent they would've confessed to it, obviously

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

brennon posted:

So here's something I've been thinking about :

Since Feast is actually going to force compositional balance, and the 4v4/8v8 format brings classes into focus instead of it just being a massive zerg shitshow, balance between classes in-role and as a whole is going to actually need to be a thing. With the double nerf on tanks with the stat slamdown AND the removal of the free 10% (? forget if this is correct) PvP damage bonus on the stones, I'm not sure how great DRK and WAR are any more. WAR still has the almighty holmgang and a healing down debuff, but tanks in FFXIV don't actually have a pvp role like strong control options or a high threat style that develops over time like they do in other MMOs or conceptually similar games like MOBAs. It feels like DRK (and WAR to a lesser extent) might need the ability to actually apply the heavy debuff almost on command, or have some kind of ramping damage or something that outputs consistent pressure, otherwise they are just going to be pretty ineffective HP bags that don't do a whole lot of anything. Weirdly enough, I kind of think PLD is going to be the go to tank now that tank damage in PvP has been insane shitcanned because they can just crap out stuns, can easily get clemency off if being ignored, and have testudo and cover, and their niche utility abilities (pacify on swipe and tempered will) can be extremely strong when deployed against other players.

Also sleep and bind going to be so furiously imbalanced people will realize the true terror of CC.

What they really need to do is give tanks an ability to debuff a targets outgoing damage to anyone EXCEPT THE TANK as in SWTOR or other MMOs. Because right now if you're a tank not named Paladin you are dead loving weight in PvP.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Soken never heard WWC then someone who worked with him did because the guitar riff is identical. I'm not sure if Powerman 5000 was ever popular in Japan but if it was then he'd have heard it even if he doesn't remember it.

The funny thing is Powerman 5000's reaction. I doubt Tim Burton cares (or knows) that Good King Moggle Mog is very similar to This Is Halloween from A Nightmare Before Christmas.

Halloween Town was in Kingdom Hearts so there's actually a collaborative connection between companies in that case.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Oblivious posted:

What they really need to do is give tanks an ability to debuff a targets outgoing damage to anyone EXCEPT THE TANK as in SWTOR or other MMOs. Because right now if you're a tank not named Paladin you are dead loving weight in PvP.

I think a big part of PVP balance in Feast is going to depend on tanks being the ones to continuously pile up the Heavy Medal debuff and force people to attack them. It's a way for tanks to build damage and forces the enemy team to target them.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Does https://store.eu.square-enix.com/emea_europe/games/pc-windows-download/FINAL-FANTASY-XIV-Online.php come with the free 30 days you get from buying the base game?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

quote:

I'd go crazy without teleports, but when the world really grabs me, I take my time.
Lately, some story(?)quest sent me from Idyllshire to Nym in Outer La Noscea. I traveled the whole way on my chocobo, IN WALKING SPEED. Why? Because it's unrealistic to think a chocobo can just keep running without a break for days
If you look at chocobo caravans in cutscenes, they also just slowly trudge along. So I went on this journey on my trusty chocobo, stopped at camps to rest up, "slept" at night, switched birds halfway through because by then my chocobo would have to be exhausted, and when I finally arrived, it felt strangely rewarding

That's not roleplay. It was more of a "how long would it realistically take to make that journey..?" kind of thing x)
The answer is 3 Eorzean days, btw.
I did it because I wanted to, because it was really fun and the world felt alive by traversing it by foot/chocobo.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It's someone who decided to try something out just for fun. I don't get what's so bad about it, it's not like they're saying that birbs need a stamina meter or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That seems silly, but fine. Now, if he was ranting about how that's how it should be all the time for everyone, that would be a different story.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah doing that sort of thing just once isn't all that crazy. It's just trying something for the hell of it. I mean, you could be playing a game on your cellphone at the same time or something even.
Now, if you played the whole game like that, then it would be pretty drat weird and stupid.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I suppose it isn't bad, but it came from a thread called "instant teleport ruins my immersion" which includes many calls to make the game more FFXI-like, so take it as you will!

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

Yes it does give you a month free. I bought the U.S. version of the bundle and I have like 23 days left of the free 30.

Samba De Amigo
Jun 11, 2014

seiferguy posted:

I suppose it isn't bad, but it came from a thread called "instant teleport ruins my immersion" which includes many calls to make the game more FFXI-like, so take it as you will!

I bet the Warriors of Darkness really shook their world up when they teleported away

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Samba De Amigo posted:

I bet the Warriors of Darkness really shook their world up when they teleported away

They truly are evil beings.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Tanks are finally where they belong.

Long live Powerman 5000.

"This isnt the first time this has happened, you can clearly hear "inspiration" from other songs throughout sokens XIV work. The blatant fanboyism here supporting this type of "art" is sad and while its not a direct copy worthy of court action I certainly wont be dropping any more money on FF sound tracks with this type of attitude. "Oh yeah all industrial sounds the same, deal with it." Its not surprising when the entire game is loosely based on what wow did in the past. All theme park mmos play the same, deal with it."

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 25, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Teleports aren't instant though.

Maybe make swiftcast work for teleports. potential side effects include blindness, loss of magical ability or having your soul absorbed by a god

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

seiferguy posted:

Gauss Barrel is slightly better because there's no cast time on proc'd shots. Also, I think GB isn't really worth using until you get Gauss Round.

Well, MCH doesn't have a monopoly on procced shots having no cast time, but I am encouraged by the fact that you can *force* a proc at least once every 15 seconds. I do confess to being slightly disappointed, though. At some point I got it twisted that an ammo-buffed shot also had no cast time.

seiferguy posted:

as Technogeek has demonstrated time and time again, there is no end to the number of new and refreshing ways that the OF comes up with to demonstrate is insanity. This is mundane by comparison.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 25, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It was just an observation! And an accusation of plagiarism at someone more popular than us! And a hashtag! Posted on our official social media account for the world to see! Not trying to get attention at all! We're not gonna sue them over this. Not that it wouldn't hold up in court or anything like that, you know.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

I haven't been crazy enough to do it at walking speed, but every so often if I have lots of time to spare it's fun to do story quests without using fast travel. I think I did it for 2.55? And it gave me a real sense of the world I hadn't had before.

But I'm glad you don't have to do that since like 99% of the time I'd rather just get where I'm going in a hurry.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Soken never heard WWC then someone who worked with him did because the guitar riff is identical. I'm not sure if Powerman 5000 was ever popular in Japan but if it was then he'd have heard it even if he doesn't remember it.

Thing is, even if Soken has never, ever heard WWC before... it's a very simple guitar riff. I can totally buy that he arrived at it on his own.

This is what happens when we have multiple countries with thousands of people producing music. Eventually, two people are going to make very similar things just by chance.

It's also very possible that Soken heard it once, forgot it was a real thing, and then just subconsciously incorporated it into the Sephirot theme - that's super easy to do, too - but at the rate media is being created at this point, it's inevitable that people will begin to hit on the same idea without even meaning to. I can totally buy that this is chance.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
There were times in 2.55 where I wouldn't teleport but that was because I was a poor chump and thought I was saving significant money by not teleporting.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

SpaceDrake posted:

Thing is, even if Soken has never, ever heard WWC before... it's a very simple guitar riff. I can totally buy that he arrived at it on his own.

Next you're going to tell me Soken has never heard This Is Halloween before.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
And the magitek theme? Total ripoff of a song from some video game I played back in middle school.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
anyone know of a 3.2 gear guide that lists the ilvl/locations/currency/lockout restrictions info?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Augus posted:

It was just an observation! And an accusation of plagiarism at someone more popular than us! And a hashtag! Posted on our official social media account for the world to see! Not trying to get attention at all! We're not gonna sue them over this. Not that it wouldn't hold up in court or anything like that, you know.

Wow. Passive-aggressive "it's just a thought/just my opinion" bullshit. What a wanker.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Antitower was a trip, can't wait to try Lost City HM tonight.

As for the tank changes, part of me is glad that I stuck with PLD through 3.0 hoping it'll get buffed (which it did, just one patch later than I was going to wait) while another part is annoyed at making the switch to DRK only for it to get the nerf hammer.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kuvo posted:

anyone know of a 3.2 gear guide that lists the ilvl/locations/currency/lockout restrictions info?

http://ffxiv.ariyala.com/

Click your class, and then on the right side you'll see the way that you get the item.

SirPhoebos posted:

Antitower was a trip, can't wait to try Lost City HM tonight.

As for the tank changes, part of me is glad that I stuck with PLD through 3.0 hoping it'll get buffed (which it did, just one patch later than I was going to wait) while another part is annoyed at making the switch to DRK only for it to get the nerf hammer.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I got PLD to 60, didn't like it, and got DRK up and loved every part of it. Part of me wants to try playing PLD again to compare it to DRK, because DRK feels really uncomfortable right now.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

SirPhoebos posted:

Man, at least you weren't always a WAR.

I was thinking I'd just level PLD or start playing something else as my main role, but I'm struggling to work up the interest to grind up another tank class through the same old dungeons. By the time I got around to PLD in 2.x I had run everything so much that I wound up FATE grinding it from like 30 to 50. I got through this patch's new story content on day one, didn't really like running the new experts, and I'm not going to be raiding this patch, so I'm not in any rush to grind Midas or run Sephirot or hit lore caps. I'm tempted to sit this out and come back for 3.3 once the content isn't all so fresh in my mind.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 26, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly when I get burned out on dungeons I do gathering and crafting stuff instead. Once you get to 60 that whole thing becomes a pain, but it's an excuse to wander the world and still play the game without worrying about things like DPS or threat generation or Alexander drops.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.
If Powerdude gets to "observe" this I want Kurt Russell to "observe" the similarity between the song's video and Big Trouble In Little China

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I just resubbed after leaving in 3.0. The best way to gear back up would be to just run Nevereap/Other Dungeon that drop the updated tokens right or is there a quicker way to get the tokens?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Why are people so bad at Sephirot? 3 groups, 3 vote abandons and it always seems to be BLMs and NINs loving up.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fat_Cow posted:

So I just resubbed after leaving in 3.0. The best way to gear back up would be to just run Nevereap/Other Dungeon that drop the updated tokens right or is there a quicker way to get the tokens?

Do that and hunts (which drop new tones) until you get high enough to do new EXDR and Void Ark.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Verranicus posted:

Why are people so bad at Sephirot? 3 groups, 3 vote abandons and it always seems to be BLMs and NINs loving up.

Its a new Titan fight and the bulk of this game's population is not good at those.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It is nowhere near as unforgiving as Titan though, aside from the wipe mechanics.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Alex 8 is a magical adventure and the whole dungeon is just full of joyful energy. :allears:

Some degree of time-fuckery huh? Neat. Quickthinks is literally save-scumming to beat us. Now we know how it feels. :smith:

SpaceDrake posted:

It's also very possible that Soken heard it once, forgot it was a real thing, and then just subconsciously incorporated it into the Sephirot theme - that's super easy to do, too -

If I was going to toss money at any bet, i'd toss it at this.

Guy probably youtube'd "awesome industrial songs" to listen to while working, 13 hours later he has an idea what he wants and is too sleep deprived to remember that hes kind of wholesale nicking it. Oops, but no real harm done.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 26, 2016

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Thyrork posted:

If I was going to toss money at any bet, i'd toss it at this.

Guy probably youtube'd "awesome industrial songs" to listen to while working, 13 hours later he has an idea what he wants and is too sleep deprived to remember that hes kind of wholesale nicking it. Oops, but no real harm done.

Is it Koji Fox singing vocals again? Because I guarantee you he remembers When Worlds Collide. It's still a dumb argument on Powerman5000's part.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Thundarr posted:

Is it Koji Fox singing vocals again? Because I guarantee you he remembers When Worlds Collide. It's still a dumb argument on Powerman5000's part.

I think you're overestimating peoples remembering what was essentially a one hit wonder industrial group from the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Minfilia's new voice is really hard to understand. I'm not convinced that this is an upgrade for Hydaelyn.

I guess it's fitting that Minfilia has basically upgraded herself to become a cosmic-level passive questgiving NPC.

• Locked thread