Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Nobody here has any idea what the hell you're trying to build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Gounads posted:

Nobody here has any idea what the hell you're trying to build.

I don't really have pictures or anything to make it easy to visualize. As close as I could find, I'm trying to do something like this, but on a very, very, tiny, safe scale. Make a small igniter, pass current through igniter, apply gas fuel, instant flame. On a scale of like, camping stove. I don't really know how else to describe it in a way that I haven't already. :shrug:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Honestly, that Instructables you linked has a really good writeup about using nichrome wire. Try that.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

neogeo0823 posted:

Per the guy at the hobby shop, I hooked it up to a single AA battery, whereby it slowly began to glow red hot, but didn't get hot enough to ignite the fuel. I then tried hooking it to a D cell battery, hoping the extra current would help, and while it did get red hot faster, it also failed to ignite the fuel.

A D cell isn't going to give you any more current than an AA, it's the same voltage. A D cell just has more energy stored in it.

quote:

Then, I though "why not increase the voltage, as well?" and hooked it to a 9V battery, and it instantly burned itself out. I'm pretty sure I can go higher current, and maybe slightly higher voltage than the D cell to get it hotter,

If 9V is too much, and 1.5V is too little, you could give 3V a try by sticking two batteries in series. Isobutane is just butane (there's no propane in there), and the autoignition temperature is 460C. Glow plugs for real grown-up diesel engines hit way hotter than that, but you're going to need a hefty power source to drive them, since they're expecting either a good several amps at 12 or 24 volts in order to hit 800C+ in about 20 seconds.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Phanatic posted:

A D cell isn't going to give you any more current than an AA, it's the same voltage. A D cell just has more energy stored in it.

This is just plain wrong. Current is not voltage, and a D-cell will absolutely provide more current than an AA.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Phanatic posted:

D cells have lower internal resistance, so they can sustain higher power better than an AA.

If a D cell really worked better than an AA, then try a rechargeable AA or two. NiMH batteries have an even lower internal resistance than a D cell alkaline.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Safety Dance posted:

Honestly, that Instructables you linked has a really good writeup about using nichrome wire. Try that.

I did try it, with the glow plugs I bought from the hobby shop. After reading that instructable, I think it may not have worked well because I had placed the coil directly in the middle of the gas. I'll try one that's half-in-half-out when I next get the chance and see if that fares any better.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

neogeo0823 posted:

I did try it, with the glow plugs I bought from the hobby shop. After reading that instructable, I think it may not have worked well because I had placed the coil directly in the middle of the gas. I'll try one that's half-in-half-out when I next get the chance and see if that fares any better.

Do you have air in the mix where you are trying to ignite? Remember your fire pyramid!

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Phanatic posted:

If 9V is too much, and 1.5V is too little, you could give 3V a try by sticking two batteries in series.

RC glow plugs generally want 1.5V-2V; there's a good chance 3V will fry it (although the internal resistance of an alkaline might be high enough to save it).

A fully charged NiMH AA would probably be sufficient, two in parallel would be able to run longer. Lithium AAs would work better.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Did everyone miss where I said to use an electric match? :(

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

kid sinister posted:

Did everyone miss where I said to use an electric match? :(

I saw it, it's just that the ones I googled all looked like one-time-use things, whereas I'd like this to be reusable. I'll definitely be making some of them for this year's fireworks fun on the 4th of July though. :shobon:

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

Do you have air in the mix where you are trying to ignite? Remember your fire pyramid!

What's the safest/preferred way to do that? I'm assuming it's something to the effect of "cut a small vent hole in the line a few inches before the end that will be ignited"?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

I saw it, it's just that the ones I googled all looked like one-time-use things, whereas I'd like this to be reusable. I'll definitely be making some of them for this year's fireworks fun on the 4th of July though. :shobon:

Then you're pretty much screwed. About the only way to ignite a fire via electricity quickly is either through a spark gap, or a sacrificial short via a piece of nichrome. Even dangerously high powered LED lights take time to heat up. You'd blind yourself before you'd feel the heat.

Also, you have weird ideas about "silent ignition". The only ways I know of to start a fire quickly are all audible, if not from the ignition source, then it's the very fuel lighting that makes noise.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Crack the glass bulb off a brake light, and feed the raw filament incrementally higher voltages until it's hot enough to light the gas.

But really, spark gap. They run like 10,000 degrees Fahrenheit, right?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

How about an arc lighter? Not silent, but just a quiet whine.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

kid sinister posted:

Then you're pretty much screwed. About the only way to ignite a fire via electricity quickly is either through a spark gap, or a sacrificial short via a piece of nichrome. Even dangerously high powered LED lights take time to heat up. You'd blind yourself before you'd feel the heat.

Also, you have weird ideas about "silent ignition". The only ways I know of to start a fire quickly are all audible, if not from the ignition source, then it's the very fuel lighting that makes noise.

I just dislike spark gaps for 2 reasons. They're not always reliable(think those long candle igniters), and the noise the spark makes is loud and annoying. When I say silent, I'm not talking completely silent, just that I don't want that annoying *tick tick tick tick* sound.

Flipperwaldt posted:

How about an arc lighter? Not silent, but just a quiet whine.

This, however, is an interesting lead I hadn't considered yet. Youtube's got an interesting video of a guy breaking one down. As long as the whine isn't too loud, it might work for what I want, so I'll hit up the various smoke shops around me this weekend and do a bit of research before I order one off Ebay or wherever for cheap.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm trying to unclog a drain at father in law's house. I can see a giant hairball in the drain. The cover doesn't have any screws. I've tried popping it out with a screwdriver and also pulling it up with some pliers but all I succeeded in doing was breaking a small piece in the middle. Any advice?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

I'm trying to unclog a drain at father in law's house. I can see a giant hairball in the drain. The cover doesn't have any screws. I've tried popping it out with a screwdriver and also pulling it up with some pliers but all I succeeded in doing was breaking a small piece in the middle. Any advice?

Go to the home improvement store's plumbing section and buy a short disposable plastic snake. It'll be about a 1 foot strip of spikey plastic, usually sold next to the drain cleaners. You can even get one bundled with drain cleaner, if you want to make that drain really clean.

e. Found one on Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/Joyoldelf-R...rds=drain+snake

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

n.. posted:

This is just plain wrong. Current is not voltage, and a D-cell will absolutely provide more current than an AA.

Of course current isn't voltage. Cell voltage is dependent upon the battery chemistry, not upon the physical size of the cell. An alkaline AA battery is 1.5 volts, an alkaline D battery is 1.5 volts. Into the same resistance load, each battery will provide the same current.

Captain Cool posted:

D cells have lower internal resistance, so they can sustain higher power better than an AA.

Except for that, yeah, but the difference is miniscule. Checking Energizer's data sheets, both their Ds and their AAs have the same nominal internal resistance. The difference is that a D has 18000 mAh capacity and the AA has 3000. The D can sustain higher power for longer because it stores more energy, not because it's delivering a higher current or or has a lower internal resistance.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 26, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

vulturesrow posted:

Post a picture

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I was more referring to getting the drain cover off since I've now broken a small piece of it. :D

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

This

Only covers I can think of either have a screw in the center or just pop up off. Is it metal or plastic? Have you tried using a small pick or hook to get under it and lift it straight up from underneath? I just can't envision what you might be talking about otherwise, unless it's cemented in place with glue or something.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Oh I thought he meant he was trying to pop the hairball out with a screwdriver / pliers.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

Phanatic posted:

Except for that, yeah, but the difference is miniscule. Checking Energizer's data sheets, both their Ds and their AAs have the same nominal internal resistance. The difference is that a D has 18000 mAh capacity and the AA has 3000. The D can sustain higher power for longer because it stores more energy, not because it's delivering a higher current or or has a lower internal resistance.
My mistake, I thought I heard that somewhere but I guess I was just assuming it was the case. Duracell's data sheets actually show a slightly higher impedance for D cells compared to AA.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

This

Only covers I can think of either have a screw in the center or just pop up off. Is it metal or plastic? Have you tried using a small pick or hook to get under it and lift it straight up from underneath? I just can't envision what you might be talking about otherwise, unless it's cemented in place with glue or something.
Should've done that in the first place (post a picture). I tried putting it with a screwdriver and lifting with a pair of pliers.

e: I managed to get the cover off. It was one that just pried off, I was just being a bit of a Nancy with it initially.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 26, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

vulturesrow posted:

e: I managed to get the cover off. It was one that just pried off, I was just being a bit of a Nancy with it initially.

No worries, I'm always paranoid about breaking hidden fasteners or something when disassembling stuff too. Doesn't help that one time I hulked loose the passenger door handle on my buddy's GM Envoy (though I strongly suspect that it came that way from the factory).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

I was just being a bit of a Nancy with it initially.

Excuse me :colbert:

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

I was in my basement and saw this. How much of a problem is this, what needs to be done to fix it, and how much approximately would it cost? I checked the other ones and they're okay.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hackan Slash posted:

I was in my basement and saw this. How much of a problem is this, what needs to be done to fix it, and how much approximately would it cost? I checked the other ones and they're okay.

Not a licensed anything, just have some small experience doing construction. You should get that fixed; it's probably not going to cause immediate problems but it's putting extra load on the adjacent joists and doing a lovely job of supporting the floor above it. And it's only going to get worse as time goes on. Fortunately, you can just put in a new joist next to the old one, maybe bolt the two together at intervals. Unfortunately, a) this may require jacking up the floor a bit (or it might not!), and b) you'll probably have to cut all those electrical cables so you can run them through newly-drilled holes in your new board. So you'll also need an electrical box or two to put the splices in.

The materials costs for this job wouldn't be huge; probably under $50. Labor would of course be more expensive. I don't have any idea how to estimate that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hackan Slash posted:

Is that hot water pipe now load bearing when you stand on the floor above it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hackan Slash posted:

Yes, it needs to be fixed. How much it will cost depends on how long of a span that joist is and access to install a new one next to it (i.e. "sistered" to it, bolted if not glued and bolted). If there are more pipes under it or more electrical through it could get messy. That drop ceiling is likely going to need to come down (to some extent, hopefully the joists are running perpendicular to the removable cross beams of the grid and then you'll only need to take down a row or two) unless there is a lot of open access on the other side. Your floor also needs to be jacked back up to where it supposed to be to properly install the new one.

It's not a "right now" thing, but it should be a "soon" thing.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
I'm looking to strip paint off some wood work in my house. Its older so most likely its latex on top of some lead based. Do any of the low fume options work? The reviews I read vary so widely as to be useless.

Are there any goon favs? Is it not worth like everyone keeps telling me?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

What kind of woodwork? Are we talking something flat that you can mostly sand/scrape or contoured things like molding?

The former is not so bad. The latter can be pretty awful, especially if you're trying to do it in-situ where you're also trying to live. Unless it's something special it's often easier (and almost always cheaper and certainly less time consuming) to replace.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

H110Hawk posted:

Is that hot water pipe now load bearing when you stand on the floor above it?

Luckily it's not.

Glad to hear it's not a sign of imminent collapse, only relatively soonish collapse. I've got my contractor buddy to come over this Friday and help me fix it. He seems to think it's no big deal, which is encouraging.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Motronic posted:

What kind of woodwork? Are we talking something flat that you can mostly sand/scrape or contoured things like molding?

The former is not so bad. The latter can be pretty awful, especially if you're trying to do it in-situ where you're also trying to live. Unless it's something special it's often easier (and almost always cheaper and certainly less time consuming) to replace.

Molding, yeah - everyone keeps telling me its just not worth it, but I continue to hope.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

Dukket posted:

I'm looking to strip paint off some wood work in my house. Its older so most likely its latex on top of some lead based. Do any of the low fume options work? The reviews I read vary so widely as to be useless.

Are there any goon favs? Is it not worth like everyone keeps telling me?

I bought some eco paint stripper at home depot, white tub with a green lid for removing latex paint from a brass mail chute. I can't find the exact product on their website, but it worked really well. Applied like a paste, let it sit for 5 minutes and then the paint came off very easily. No odours or anything I was pretty impressed.

Lead based paint comes with its own pile of worries, test kits are cheap.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

sirr0bin posted:

I bought some eco paint stripper at home depot, white tub with a green lid for removing latex paint from a brass mail chute. I can't find the exact product on their website, but it worked really well. Applied like a paste, let it sit for 5 minutes and then the paint came off very easily. No odours or anything I was pretty impressed.

Lead based paint comes with its own pile of worries, test kits are cheap.

Ah, I'll look for it thanks.

I know there is lead paint - the place is over 100 years old. Probably has a few layers of it.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

Captain Cool posted:

We're dealing with the same thing in one of our bedrooms right now. Stages so far:
- Wallpaper itself. Peeled right off.
- Backing paper. Spray on water, let it soak for a minute, scrape it off.
- Glue. Spray on water with a little dish soap, let it soak, scrape it off.
- Glue residue. Well into diminishing returns. TSP helped a little. I'm about to try Dif.

Seems like most people remove wallpaper once, and then paint over it the next time they're faced with it.
Dif is doing something, but it's still leaving a film behind that's visible in the light. The wallpaper was one strip near the ceiling in this picture.

How much wallpaper glue do we need to remove before painting over it? Please don't say every last bit because at this point it's holding on to the paint more strongly than the paint is holding on to the wall.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
We have a two story house that had a brick addition added on the main floor. The addition has a foundation (the basement runs the complete footprint of the original house + addition). However the addition does not have a second floor and had a walk-out deck from the second floor on top of it.

We are interested in adding a second floor to the addition to add a room on the second floor. My understanding is that we need to first determine whether the foundation can handle a second floor before pursuing a general contractor. Who do we consult for this assessment?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
Structural engineer and then an architect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This is the end of my driveway. Is there anything I can do to make it look less awful until we can afford to have the whole thing repaved? Other than refilling the gravel. Is there some kind of sealing/patching I can do myself?