Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Is Cibola Burn better?

The dude in the prologue was not under thrust (explicitly ballistic) when he shot the ring and he turned up, well, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
No, it's real bad, but Nemesis Games is very very strong (arguably the best book of the five). It's clearly meant as the middle pivot of the series arc, so I blame Cibola's weakness on the bloat up to a 9 book contract.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Speaking of Cibola, I'm listening to the Expanse audiobooks and it looks like the change narrators for 4 -- anyone know if the new guy is as terrible as some of the reviews make him out to be? Might have lucked out with the first three because the narrator there just nails a lot of the line delivery (especially for Avasarala in 2.)

Trying to decide if I should just, you know, read the book instead of listening.

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

Odoyle posted:

Is Cibola Burn better?

The dude in the prologue was not under thrust (explicitly ballistic) when he shot the ring and he turned up, well, you know.

I thought Cibola was better than Abbadon's Gate but it still seems kind of out of place in the series. It's a pretty slow starter though, I actually put it down for a month before picking it back up to finish it.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I have the offal opinion that Prince Roger series by John Ringo and David Weber was fun and entertaining. That The Looking Glass and Troy Rising series, I like the idea of giant space mining magnifying glasses blowing stuff up.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know sometimes a good partnership can be better than any one author on his or her own. Take the Belasarius novels by Drake and Flint. I like those more than I do any of Flint's solo stuff. Or the Starfire novels which I enjoy more than anything Weber or White did on his own. Hell, the only Honorverse stuff I've particularly enjoyed lately were the prequel stuff cowritten by Zahn. I think in Weber's case in particular a cowriter can smooth out some of those dreary Weberisms we all complain so much about around here.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

jng2058 posted:

You know sometimes a good partnership can be better than any one author on his or her own. Take the Belasarius novels by Drake and Flint. I like those more than I do any of Flint's solo stuff. Or the Starfire novels which I enjoy more than anything Weber or White did on his own. Hell, the only Honorverse stuff I've particularly enjoyed lately were the prequel stuff cowritten by Zahn. I think in Weber's case in particular a cowriter can smooth out some of those dreary Weberisms we all complain so much about around here.

Weber and Flint writing together is really interesting because they have similar weaknesses but their political views are so opposite that they can't have their side be always right and have to actually write competent opposing viewpoints. The downside is that instead of one Honor/Mike Stearns they end up with two or three awesome, amazing, perfect heroes, one for each part of the political spectrum. I think a lot of the cowritten stuff being better is just a case of being with a better writer - Drake, Zahn, etc. - who can recognize the stuff they do have a talent for and have them focus on writing that material.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

johnsonrod posted:

I thought Cibola was better than Abbadon's Gate but it still seems kind of out of place in the series. It's a pretty slow starter though, I actually put it down for a month before picking it back up to finish it.

This. It is kinda a side story, with different pace and rythm (and scope). On the other hand, it is the only book with a credible, non cartoonish antagonist, and it shows a more solid Holden than in the rest of the books.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I just finished Dark Intelligence, a new sci-fi, space opera-ish book by Neal Asher. It's my first exposure to the series and decently interesting - reminded me of The Expanse more than anything. Suffered horribly from being the first book in a new series, though: almost no questions were answered or any plot lines concluded, everything seemed to be setup for later books.

Also has a couple of the most perfunctory sex scenes I've seen in a book. Why, Neal Asher, does your main protagonist gently caress a catgirl in his second chapter?

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Cythereal posted:

Also has a couple of the most perfunctory sex scenes I've seen in a book. Why, Neal Asher, does your main protagonist gently caress a catgirl in his second chapter?

Catadapts and snakeadapts are not considered a weird thing in that universe. If you liked it I'd suggest to go for the Agent Cormac books (beginning with Gridlinked). Dark Intelligence will make a lot more sense after you read that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Amberskin posted:

Catadapts and snakeadapts are not considered a weird thing in that universe. If you liked it I'd suggest to go for the Agent Cormac books (beginning with Gridlinked). Dark Intelligence will make a lot more sense after you read that.

I didn't like it. I thought the setting and writing were okay, had a completely pointless and weird catgirl hooker (and a brief, perfunctory rape scene that's barely commented or dwelled on that's promptly dismissed and never brought up again), and felt like a book-long prologue to the next book(s) that failed to tell an interesting story in this book.

I want to be interested in Penny Royal as a character, but "inscrutable machine god with no clear motivation or limits" is a very, very hard archetype to do well and I was not impressed enough with Asher's writing to think what becomes of Penny Royal will be anything but a disappointment.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Cythereal posted:

I didn't like it. I thought the setting and writing were okay, had a completely pointless and weird catgirl hooker (and a brief, perfunctory rape scene that's barely commented or dwelled on that's promptly dismissed and never brought up again), and felt like a book-long prologue to the next book(s) that failed to tell an interesting story in this book.

I want to be interested in Penny Royal as a character, but "inscrutable machine god with no clear motivation or limits" is a very, very hard archetype to do well and I was not impressed enough with Asher's writing to think what becomes of Penny Royal will be anything but a disappointment.

A lot of your criticisms of Penny Royal come from the fact that this book assumes you've read the preceding books, and have that background on Penny Royal. I can't imagine reading Dark Intelligence and getting much out of it without having read the rest of the Polity series. Check out some reviews of Gridlinked before you give up, but if you just straight didn't like Asher's writing it might just not be for you. That said, I'm pretty surprised to see a negative Asher opinion - everyone I've spoken to about him has loved him!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pork never goes bad posted:

A lot of your criticisms of Penny Royal come from the fact that this book assumes you've read the preceding books, and have that background on Penny Royal. I can't imagine reading Dark Intelligence and getting much out of it without having read the rest of the Polity series. Check out some reviews of Gridlinked before you give up, but if you just straight didn't like Asher's writing it might just not be for you. That said, I'm pretty surprised to see a negative Asher opinion - everyone I've spoken to about him has loved him!

Oh, Penny Royal is an existing character? I saw the book in the library billed as "Book one of the Transformation series" and assumed it was the start of a new series/setting.

The book didn't do much for me as it is. Penny Royal is the only character I came away from the book wanting to know more about - everyone else is either trite and one-note, is forgotten about halfway through, or gets their personality/identity completely rebooted in the book's climax.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Oh, Penny Royal is an existing character? I saw the book in the library billed as "Book one of the Transformation series" and assumed it was the start of a new series/setting.

New series, not a new setting.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Penny Royal is an important piece of the background in the previous books, and a moderate player in some of them. Certainly, though, you learn some of the background, and the notion that it is "inscrutable machine god with no clear motivation or limits" is somewhat resolved (though certainly the fact that Penny Royal is at least at cross-purposes if not opposed to the typical Polity/Prador sociopolitical dimensions of the novels do mean that it's not, well, entirely scrutable... but that's the point)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pork never goes bad posted:

Penny Royal is an important piece of the background in the previous books, and a moderate player in some of them. Certainly, though, you learn some of the background, and the notion that it is "inscrutable machine god with no clear motivation or limits" is somewhat resolved (though certainly the fact that Penny Royal is at least at cross-purposes if not opposed to the typical Polity/Prador sociopolitical dimensions of the novels do mean that it's not, well, entirely scrutable... but that's the point)

All I got for Penny Royal's motivations were "Is probably not actively malicious towards anyone but doesn't give a flying gently caress about them either, and is trying to settle accounts before moving forward with... whatever it is that it's doing, gently caress if I know because of how massively it hosed with everyone's memories and identities."

Next to Penny Royal the only other character I thought was kind of interesting was Sverl. Spear, Trent, and Isobel were all very dull.

Not a bad book (not a good book either) per se, but extremely unsatisfactory by the merits of its own story (as opposed to the story it's apparently setting up) and I came away thoroughly underwhelmed by the setting and author.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

..and I came away thoroughly underwhelmed by the setting and author.

Which is unsurprising, given the setting is lain out in uh, a prior nine books (chronologically) with a dozen making up the existing universe?

I mean, feel free to judge and like/dislike whatever you want (obviously) but it seems like a pretty weird approach to deciding you dislike a pretty well regarded author and series.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 25, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blitter posted:

Which is unsurprising, given the setting is lain out in uh, a prior nine books (chronologically) with a dozen making up the existing universe?

I mean, feel free to judge and like/dislike whatever you want (obviously) but it seems like a pretty weird approach to deciding you dislike a pretty well regarded author and series.

Like I said, I didn't know it was an established setting - I'd heard of the author, but I saw "book one" on the book and assumed it was new. I picked up what all's going on in the setting pretty well, I just don't find the setting or characters - with one or two exceptions - interesting.

The prador in particular are dull. Was "orcs" copyrighted?

Also, catgirls. Why. And why did the protagonist gently caress one within two pages of getting an organic body. And why the rape scene that came and went in two pages with zero foreshadowing and was never mentioned again and didn't serve any story purpose.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 25, 2016

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Cythereal posted:

Also, catgirls. Why. And why did the protagonist gently caress one within two pages of getting an organic body.

I know you've played Star Trek Online. You know the answer to that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Again I think most of your complaints are because you picked up a book in a pretty developed universe that assumes you read at least some of the previous books. This is not really your fault per se but because of this I don't really think any of your criticisms hold any weight. Also the Prador are giant enemy cannibalistic space crabs and I never ever got the orc vibe or generic alien vibe from them. Maybe thats the feel this book gave of them but having read pretty much all of the other books I have to disagree with you on your judgement of them. Take some time and read the rest of the series, I don't think I have ever heard a bad thing about them either but maybe they are just not your thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thank you for the advice, but I don't think I will.

I found Dark Intelligence a mediocre book with an awful plot and pacing, and it has not given me any desire to read more of the setting.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 25, 2016

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I found Cythereal to be a poo poo tier poster, with awful posts and grammar, and it has not given me any desire to read more of his posts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sorry I hurt your feelings, Neal.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I was gonna engage more but it's fruitless

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Don't worry about it. I tried to read Gridlinked a couple years ago and hated it, so sometimes even someone who starts at the beginning of Asher can find it not to their tastes!

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Like I said, I didn't know it was an established setting - I'd heard of the author, but I saw "book one" on the book and assumed it was new. I picked up what all's going on in the setting pretty well, I just don't find the setting or characters - with one or two exceptions - interesting.

Also, catgirls. Why. And why did the protagonist gently caress one within two pages of getting an organic body. And why the rape scene that came and went in two pages with zero foreshadowing and was never mentioned again and didn't serve any story purpose.

Alright, yeah, it's clearly waay too much effort to you know, flip the book open and see the giant loving list of books previously written in the Polity world. Prador? Gosh, no chance that they were you know, developed in the previous books or anything.

Anyways, thanks for posting your dumb poo poo, so I know to take your view on any other book with the grain of salt it deserves.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cythereal posted:

Nah. Asher is actually busy with therapy in the wake of his wife's death (January 2014), which I think is why we haven't seen a timeline for the next book.
http://theskinner.blogspot.com/

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I know people who do not like reading Asher but wish they could right like the man. He is not for everyone just like KJ Parker isn't for everyone but they know how to wordsmith.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Cythereal posted:

The Prador are not orcs. They are far more disgusting and fascinating. Make yourself a favor and read the rest of the books in the series.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Amberskin posted:

The Prador are not orcs. They are far more disgusting and fascinating. Make yourself a favor and read the rest of the books in the series.

No, thank you. This book did not engage my interest with the setting and I am content to leave it at that.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

KJ Parker is the only author who ever made me think, "This is brilliant and I don't want to read more of it."

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Buncha people all getting butthurt in here. Neal does have a lot of faults as a writer, I certainly would not compare him to asimov or whatever sci-fi great. But he does introduce a lot of pretty great concepts and monsters and characters somewhere in between all the (mostly boring) action sequences. That is what really keeps me reading his stuff. And to the end of a series you start to get a real Mary Sue vibe as his characters conquer everything with aplomb. Maybe his newest series is just a little too full of the bad side of his writing, from reading the synopsis it seem like more of the same and not really worth reading, I'll probably end up getting too curious eventually and reading it anyway tho.

I could see someone new to his writing just thinking it was a mish-mash of other concepts and authors. It kind of snuck up on the setting over time since he's now combined the ideas of uplift, AI, Post humanism, nanotechnology, berserkers, rogue von neumann machines etc.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 25, 2016

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Blitter posted:

Alright, yeah, it's clearly waay too much effort to you know, flip the book open and see the giant loving list of books previously written in the Polity world. Prador? Gosh, no chance that they were you know, developed in the previous books or anything.

Anyways, thanks for posting your dumb poo poo, so I know to take your view on any other book with the grain of salt it deserves.

Why are you acting like a huge baby

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

TheWhiteNightmare posted:

Why are you acting like a huge baby

Oh, more that I don't think judging an author from one book mid series is very useful; I've certainly taken an immediate dislike for the first read of some books and then kicked myself later when I found later to find their other stuff enjoyable.

Also, I thought the Prador pretty cool, so uh maybe butthurt too ha ha.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Asher can be an enjoyable author. The Polity stuff is generally exciting and not too bogged down in the author's politics. The settings are very diverse and if the characters are cardboard, it's not much worse than the genre as a whole.

Then there's the Owner trilogy he wrote, which is unbelievable tripe. I've ranted about it before and won't belabor the post, but it's almost impossible to see it as the same author. Maybe he got a brain tumor?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

KJ Parker is the only author who ever made me think, "This is brilliant and I don't want to read more of it."

Kaleidoscope Century. Jesus, that was difficult to read.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Velius posted:

Asher can be an enjoyable author. The Polity stuff is generally exciting and not too bogged down in the author's politics. The settings are very diverse and if the characters are cardboard, it's not much worse than the genre as a whole.

Then there's the Owner trilogy he wrote, which is unbelievable tripe. I've ranted about it before and won't belabor the post, but it's almost impossible to see it as the same author. Maybe he got a brain tumor?

Don't authors usually get more editorial control the more popular they are? It really seems like his newer stuff is a lot less coherent than his earlier books. The Owner had a lot of really odd jarring sequences that really detracted from the story (torture sequences, bizarre sex scenes, pointless megadeath etc), but there was some pretty cool stuff in it as well, the 3rd book was pretty terrible. The dystopian cyberpunk stuff was good when you found it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Phanatic posted:

Kaleidoscope Century. Jesus, that was difficult to read.

Yeah, I felt gross and like the world was gross after reading that one.

That said, I found myself reading it again a couple of times. It's a good book.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Or the Starfire novels which I enjoy more than anything Weber or White did on his own.

If you're interested in that sort of thing, all the Starfire books just came out on Audible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've started on Poseidon's Wake by Alistair Reynolds now. I've only read one book of his before, Pushing Ice, and that was a long time ago though I remember enjoying it. I'm not sure whether this is an established setting or not - sure feels like it, but as with Dark Intelligence it might also be dropping the reader in in situ. I was not expecting African culture to be a big thing in the book, or that one of the two protagonists is a happily married lesbian (bonus points for the book not making a big deal out of her homosexuality at all), and I'm interested to see where things go with her. The chapters back in Sol are much less interesting, though I'm curious how they could end up tying in to the other protagonist.

• Locked thread