Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Is Tarn with r7 as annoying as I think it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Is Tarn with r7 as annoying as I think it is

Yes

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Has anyone run R4-B11 on Drea with a TLT? Reroll all your attacks, and their defense dice. As long as another ship is in range, do it again. Gain 4 stress per attack. What could go wrong?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The Gate posted:

Has anyone run R4-B11 on Drea with a TLT? Reroll all your attacks, and their defense dice. As long as another ship is in range, do it again. Gain 4 stress per attack. What could go wrong?

That sounds amazing.

Follow up, what else should I throw on there for max annoyance? Shield upgrade for extra survival? IA? Stealth device?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Issue: Generic E-wings do not see use in the current tournament environment. At all.

Cause: Generic E-wings are too expensive for their capabilities. Pilot skill and low EHP is also problematic.

Considerations: E-wings are known in-setting for electronics capabilities. R7 Astromechs were deliberately designed to use in E-wings. E-wings currently do not have a title, which is helpful, and have useful access to Astromech and Systems Upgrade slots. They do not have access to Tech Upgrade slots.

Series II E-wing
Title, E-wing only, 0 pt
"When you are not attacking, after you spend a target lock you may immediately reacquire a target lock on the same ship. You may maintain an unlimited number of target locks (only one per enemy ship)."

Reasoning: R7 Astromechs severely inhibit the offense of an E-wing, particularly one of low pilot skill. Allowing it to keep target locks that are specifically not spent on offense keeps them for use on offense, while also allowing R7 Astromechs to have a good niche as a defensive upgrade. Allowing multiple target locks keeps the R7 from being trivialized by shifting attacks, and offers good offensive options. It's also fluffy, and fits the E-wing's reputation for good electronics. At 31 points, a PS 1 E-wing with FCS and R7 Astromech can potentially protect itself from multiple enemies (but can only use R7 once per round) and pick which attack it wants to disrupt. It's arguably still too expensive, but tilting it too far back could also be a mistake, and finding a way for it to not affect Corran's cost is still a big deal.

Advanced Astromechs
Modification, E-wing only, -2 pt
"Your upgrade bar gains the [tech upgrade] icon. You may only equip [Astromech] upgrades that begin with "R7"."

Reasoning: Corran needs R2-D2 to function, and this keeps him from doing that while still reducing costs for other E-wings. Adding a tech slot allows for Comm Relay, which improves defense even more at a net cost of merely 1 point. R7 Astromechs are ideal, and R7-T1 is still legally equippable.

R7-Z0
Astromech, 2 pt
"When defending, if you have a target lock on the attacker you may spend that lock in order to assign one focus or evade token to your ship."

Reasoning: Synergizes with the Series II title and still an equippable astromech under Advanced Astromechs, R7-Z0 converts target locks into defensive tokens rather than rerolling attackers' dice. If the tokens are not spent, can also improve offense.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
An interesting thing to do with E-Wings would be to give them some sort of ECM system slot maybe - something like Sensor Jammer only better, and e-wing only.

Or even e-wing only chaff launchers in the Missile slot that let you place a token which obstructs enemy attacks but nothing else and only lasts a round.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I'd change the text of R7-Z0 to be "If you have a target lock on your attacker, you may instead treat it as a focus or evade token" less clunky,.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'd change the text of R7-Z0 to be "If you have a target lock on your attacker, you may instead treat it as a focus or evade token" less clunky,.

I thought about that, but in the end decided that spending the target lock for a focus or evade would give it some versatility for an otherwise purely offensive action, and it would also synergize with the proposed Series II E-wing title that would allow the E-wing to spend the target lock in order to trade it in for a focus or evade, and then immediately get it back to use on offense (potentially with a focus token).

EDIT: I should add "Once per round" in front of "when defending" like on R7 Astromech, as funny as it is to imagine a PS 1 E-wing under the guns of an entire TIE Swarm racking up six evade tokens.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

An interesting thing to do with E-Wings would be to give them some sort of ECM system slot maybe - something like Sensor Jammer only better, and e-wing only.

Or even e-wing only chaff launchers in the Missile slot that let you place a token which obstructs enemy attacks but nothing else and only lasts a round.

Like Countermeasures, only for non-Large ships?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The Gate posted:

Yep, I've run that and it is hilarious. Until you lose the lock somehow. Also works well with proton torps!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Tekopo posted:

Yep, I've run that and it is hilarious. Until you lose the lock somehow. Also works well with proton torps!

Yeah, it's pretty funny until the locked ship realises what's happening and flies out of range or donut holes you. Competitively, I think a generic with agromech is better value.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Madurai posted:

Like Countermeasures, only for non-Large ships?

Something of that order.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

hoiyes posted:

Yeah, it's pretty funny until the locked ship realises what's happening and flies out of range or donut holes you. Competitively, I think a generic with agromech is better value.

I mean, I'm not taking Drea for competitiveness, let's be honest. Still, only has to work once and Soontir cries... hmm.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I wonder how hard it is to get decent custom models done for X-Wing. I want to fly E-Wings that look like this :getin:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

General Battuta posted:

I wonder how hard it is to get decent custom models done for X-Wing. I want to fly E-Wings that look like this :getin:

How do you get in with the gun directly over the cockpit?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Maybe it retracts?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Improbable Lobster posted:

How do you get in with the gun directly over the cockpit?

lol the EU says the gun has to be removed by maintenance crew before in/egress. It really is F35 levels of dumb.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It does retract, but it also needs to stow back to allow the astromech to enter. The e-wing is truly the f-35/Bradley of the Star Wars universe.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I have never, ever understood whatever prompted whoever designed the E-Wing...I'm talking the artist or writer responsible for it, not the in-universe engineer but hey, them too...to put a gun directly over the loving cockpit. Just put it underneath the cockpit! Put two guns on each wingtip! It doesn't even look cool, it looks stupid.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
What's the EU explanation to why X Wing guns look like sticks with Lego hands on the end?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm the e-wing pilot that gets blinded by the muzzle flash and runs into another e-wing pilot.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I have never, ever understood whatever prompted whoever designed the E-Wing...I'm talking the artist or writer responsible for it, not the in-universe engineer but hey, them too...to put a gun directly over the loving cockpit. Just put it underneath the cockpit! Put two guns on each wingtip! It doesn't even look cool, it looks stupid.

"I need to design a successor for the X-Wing (for some godforsaken reason), I don't know what to do! gently caress it, i'll just draw a Viper from BSG, stick some extra Star Wars-y guns on it and call it a day."

I'm so glad that they did the T-70 for TFA and obliterated the E-wing from canon forever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm the e-wing pilot that gets blinded by the muzzle flash and runs into another e-wing pilot.
This, but for the e-wing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

canyoneer posted:

What's the EU explanation to why X Wing guns look like sticks with Lego hands on the end?

The little curly-qs reflect the excess laser leakage back inwards so your shots stay full and extra juicy.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think age of rebellion spells out how much of a boondoggle it was.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I feel the Ewing top gun was inspired by Schräge Musik guns from German ww2 fighters without understanding they need to face upwards.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I like the E-Wing :shrug:

It looks just as space fighter as any of the ships. The idea of it being an evolution of the X-Wing makes sense, it's got a similar body, but fixed wings, yay cool. Certainly much more in setting feel than the K-Wing to me.

Plus, stupid little design issues are kind of the reason I like star wars. They have weird flaws and look like something someone actually designed, versus star treks perfect looks. Someone building a fighter that you can't get into right is like 100% real world believable.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm hoping to fly Wedge today. Engine upgrade + PtL + generic R2. I really want him to be a proper ace. :smith:

A Rogue Squadron title that let you barrel roll would be legit.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

I think age of rebellion spells out how much of a boondoggle it was.
Produced by FreiTek, a recently formed offshoot of Incom, the E-Wing multi-role fighter is the newest star fighter in the rebellion's arsenal. Similar in size and appearance to the T-65, the E-Wing has a long, narrow fuselage with a steeply sloped nose. Two fixed position s-foils slant down from ventral port and starboard wing roots aft of the centrally mounted cockpit. Mounted beneath each s-foil is a FreiTek J8LF fusial thrust engine, a copy of Incom's famous 4L4 FTE which powers the X-wing, and a Taim & Bak IX9 medium laser cannon. A third IX9 is mounted dorsally above the cockpit and just forward of a sealed astromech droid compartment, an awkward placement that requires the cannon's barrel be unshipped every time the cockpit canopy is opened. The E-wing also mounts two proton torpedo launchers in a tandem modular weapons bay located amidships on the fighter's ventral surface. The avionics and fire control systems are modern or upgraded versions of the systems found in current X-wing models.

As it was to be a multi-role fighter like the X-wing, the e-wing was designed with a good balance of strike and space superiority capabilities. The fighter's armour and shields were equal to or better than anything in its class, and the mix of energy weapons and ordnance gave it nearly unparalleled tactical versatility. Unfortunately, supply problems Andalusia short-sighted rush to production led to some teething issues among the first group of e-wings. Within the first few months of service, the new fighters gained a reputation as finicky, unreliable maintenance hogs and hangar queens that spent as much or more time standing still as they did flying. Eventually, however, most of the issues with these new fighters were ironed out.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

The Gate posted:

I like the E-Wing :shrug:

It looks just as space fighter as any of the ships. The idea of it being an evolution of the X-Wing makes sense, it's got a similar body, but fixed wings, yay cool. Certainly much more in setting feel than the K-Wing to me.

Plus, stupid little design issues are kind of the reason I like star wars. They have weird flaws and look like something someone actually designed, versus star treks perfect looks. Someone building a fighter that you can't get into right is like 100% real world believable.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Corbeau posted:

I'm hoping to fly Wedge today. Engine upgrade + PtL + generic R2. I really want him to be a proper ace. :smith:

A Rogue Squadron title that let you barrel roll would be legit.

Rouge Squadron: roll an extra red die if your ship model has been repainted

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm pretty sure this is actually a thing that happens at one point, unless that's the joke.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I'm pretty sure this is actually a thing that happens at one point, unless that's the joke.

It's actually a harrowing true-life recollection

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The Kihraxz is, visually, a strictly superior E-Wing. Pity the fighter itself is so janky.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

The Viper is Best Spaceship, so you're not really discouraging me here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Corbeau posted:

The Kihraxz is, visually, a strictly superior E-Wing. Pity the fighter itself is so janky.

The Kihraxz actually has a bunch of different "styles" to it including ones where the cockpit is set further back and big hotrod engines on the back, I actually think the one FFG opted for is one of the uglier versions.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Black Sun Ace (23)
Crack Shot (1)

Black Sun Ace (23)
Crack Shot (1)

Dengar (33)
Push the Limit (3)
K4 Security Droid (3)
Unhinged Astromech (1)
Punishing One (12)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I wish Kihraxz were good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I think the 5k list isn't totally awful, but... yeah, the K just isn't very good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

:eyepop: please tell me it was Corran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

:eyepop: please tell me it was Corran.

Nah, but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the gun on top had a tendency to blind pilots who were looking in the wrong place when it fired, I never really read any EU stuff with the E-Wing in it so take it with a grain of salt.

• Locked thread