Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Washout posted:

OMG it's like a Dragon and a Vulture had a baby with really bad hitboxes. This thing is still going to be fantastic with 8XSRM6+A it will just DESTROY people. I wonder what it's total height is going to be. I really want one but I'm not giving PGI any money. My latest beef is that they will never give you a MC or Cbill refund when they nerf mechs or game mechanics, what a backwards regressive customer service department they have.

The idea of 8x ASRM6 is the reason I bought into the Archer. It's gonna be a fun gimmick mech, that you'll have to play as a brawler/suicider. It's probably going to be Warhammer sized. Just looks like it will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
My newest hatred are the proliferation of Jenner II-C's. It seemed like every match last night had a wolfpack of 3 of the fuckers just appearing on the flank under ECM from a Cheetah and chewing their way inward through the battle line with SRM's & Small pulses. I want them to all to die. Tell me how I can make them all die, barring Streak-Crows.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Talmonis posted:

My newest hatred are the proliferation of Jenner II-C's. It seemed like every match last night had a wolfpack of 3 of the fuckers just appearing on the flank under ECM from a Cheetah and chewing their way inward through the battle line with SRM's & Small pulses. I want them to all to die. Tell me how I can make them all die, barring Streak-Crows.

Just 3 of them?

I was out front and got brutally run over.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

EoRaptor posted:

Just 3 of them?

I was out front and got brutally run over.

the modern Oxide is nasty. all those structure quirks plus the improved SRMs mean it'll tear you apart even if you do kill it

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Washout posted:

Yeah eliteing them is certainly the most necessary part when you are planning your purchases, but mastering them for the next weapon/mech slot is not something even most veteran players use very often.

I mentioned it because the guy you were talking to jumped straight to "oh so gently caress eliting these I guess." Buying three of the same mech is a pain in the rear end, but it's still pretty necessary even for new players.

Really my suggestion would be to start an account and play for a week or so. Buy whatever the gently caress appeals to you. Go nuts. Then, once you've figured some poo poo out, start a new account and go with what you find most fun. That's what I did and boy am I glad I did.

edit: what's the ghost heat threshold for SRM6s?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Cyrano4747 posted:

Really my suggestion would be to start an account and play for a week or so. Buy whatever the gently caress appeals to you. Go nuts. Then, once you've figured some poo poo out, start a new account and go with what you find most fun. That's what I did and boy am I glad I did.

edit: what's the ghost heat threshold for SRM6s?
It used to be a lot less money via the beginning extra match cash, these days you get a lot more so I don't know that it's really necessary to start a new account unless you are totally broke and the mech(s) you bought are total garbage.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Washout posted:

AND 8 SRM6's!!!!!

Everyone knows the comedy option is using Fire Control and 9 SRM2+As.

Really, though, you can fit 9 SRM4+A with 8 tons of ammo (although your armor will still be stock, i.e., not maxed), but moving from 9-8 launchers is 3 tons saved, and then going from SRM4s to 6s is 8 tons spent - Even dropping down to 6 tons of ammo, you still need to come up with more tonnage somewhere - and then there's the slot problem.

Sadly, 8xSRM6+A is 24 slots - between that and an XL engine, you can't even run endo steel if you want more than 4 tons of ammo - which, by the way, you can't _get_ without shrinking the engine (a bad idea) or running endo steel (which would then deny you the slots you need to actually field the missiles.

I'll probably be running SRM4+As over SRM6s, personally, but 32 missiles a volley every 3 seconds is still a comedic level of damage, and 32 missiles with artemis is arguably better than 48 without. Maybe. We'll see.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Gonna be running nonartemis srm2s without fire control and will see how far it goes

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
The idea of broadsiding a light with 48 missiles is delightful. But I'm right there with you in terms of 8x ASRM4.

The 2R and the 5S look like they may make decent standard brawlers (i.e. 2x ASRM6 and a laser assortment). That 5W is gonna be one gimmicky rear end in a top hat mech though.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Commoners posted:

Gonna be running nonartemis srm2s without fire control and will see how far it goes

Was unironically doing this with a commando 2d the other day to try and tank my PSR. I failed because it turns out they're crazy accurate and fire fast.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Talmonis posted:

So you want a mech that is specialized in murdering lights, but don't want the mech that is specialized in murdering lights?

okay

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Was unironically doing this with a commando 2d the other day to try and tank my PSR. I failed because it turns out they're crazy accurate and fire fast.

Yeah I was running a trebuchet with 2 srm2, 2mgs, and 2 lpls and it tore poo poo up. They also generate poo poo all for heat so boating 9 of them will be the great experiment. I want to try mashing a big std engine into it, depending on how easy it Is to hit ct.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Talmonis posted:

Run an awesome 8t with 4 lpl, xl 295, endo skeleton, and fill that bitch with std heat sinks. Aim for light legs with your arm lasers and you will cripple them in a 450m bubble around your assaults

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://twitter.com/russ_bullock/status/702969523238887424

Bushwacker? Flea? Stone Rhino?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Jump to 3063 tech

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Idea: ER LRMs

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Jump to 3063 tech

That would get us the Hauptmann.

:getin:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Safety Factor posted:

That would get us the Hauptmann.

:getin:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Precisely, my friend.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Commoners posted:

Run an awesome 8t with 4 lpl, xl 295, endo skeleton, and fill that bitch with std heat sinks. Aim for light legs with your arm lasers and you will cripple them in a 450m bubble around your assaults

Don't ever use commoners builds, only commoner can use commoners builds.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Olesh posted:

I'll probably be running SRM4+As over SRM6s, personally, but 32 missiles a volley every 3 seconds is still a comedic level of damage, and 32 missiles with artemis is arguably better than 48 without. Maybe. We'll see.
My damage numbers will be far superior to yours! It's all moot since I don't think either of us bought the Archer pack.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Commoners posted:

Posts like this sometimes make me want a Pretty Baby. Just so you know the damage you're causing.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Olesh posted:

Everyone knows the comedy option is using Fire Control and 9 SRM2+As.

Really, though, you can fit 9 SRM4+A with 8 tons of ammo (although your armor will still be stock, i.e., not maxed), but moving from 9-8 launchers is 3 tons saved, and then going from SRM4s to 6s is 8 tons spent - Even dropping down to 6 tons of ammo, you still need to come up with more tonnage somewhere - and then there's the slot problem.

Sadly, 8xSRM6+A is 24 slots - between that and an XL engine, you can't even run endo steel if you want more than 4 tons of ammo - which, by the way, you can't _get_ without shrinking the engine (a bad idea) or running endo steel (which would then deny you the slots you need to actually field the missiles.

8 x non-Artemis SRM6 would let you run 8.5 tons of ammo, max armor, and a 340XL engine - the max for the chassis. With Speed Tweak you'd go 85kph. I feel like you could get so much up in people's grills with it, it might counterbalance the lack of Artemis. It would be scary as gently caress anyway.

Time will tell which is actually the more effective build but I think either will be a blast to play (gonna be a long wait until it's out for c-bills). I'm also very curious about what the quirks will be... probably some general missile buffs, and the 5W even comes with SRMs stock so there might be SRM-specific quirks.

By the way, as much as it's fun to theorycraft around how crazy this mech might be, it's pretty loving stupid that PGI expresses concerns about weapons boating, implements the broadly unpopular ghost heat system, but continues to add mechs with a billion of the same type of hardpoint to the game.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Supraluminal posted:

8 x non-Artemis SRM6 would let you run 8.5 tons of ammo, max armor, and a 340XL engine - the max for the chassis. With Speed Tweak you'd go 85kph. I feel like you could get so much up in people's grills with it, it might counterbalance the lack of Artemis. It would be scary as gently caress anyway.

Time will tell which is actually the more effective build but I think either will be a blast to play (gonna be a long wait until it's out for c-bills). I'm also very curious about what the quirks will be... probably some general missile buffs, and the 5W even comes with SRMs stock so there might be SRM-specific quirks.

By the way, as much as it's fun to theorycraft around how crazy this mech might be, it's pretty loving stupid that PGI expresses concerns about weapons boating, implements the broadly unpopular ghost heat system, but continues to add mechs with a billion of the same type of hardpoint to the game.

Well yeah. So that you run 4xSRM4 4xLRM10 bracket builds and eventually just drat well play how Russ wants.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Well yeah. So that you run 4xSRM4 4xLRM10 bracket builds and eventually just drat well play how Russ wants.

Never.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So clan-PPCs prohibit acutators?
With lasers i can check them, PPCs uncheck the box.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I want an eight hatchet quad mech

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So clan-PPCs prohibit acutators?
With lasers i can check them, PPCs uncheck the box.

a quick google found me this reddit thing that says PPC and AC disable them: https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/28prhj/til_arm_actuators_for_clan_mechs_are_enabled_by/

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I love watching LRMboats shooting missiles at below minimum range. Those unarmed missiles bouncing off your cockpit glass is pretty funny.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Washout posted:

My damage numbers will be far superior to yours! It's all moot since I don't think either of us bought the Archer pack.

Since the game is actually fun for the moment, I don't mind throwing the occasional $20 PGI's way.

Supraluminal posted:

There's pretty much no way that this variant isn't going to be some kind of bananas. It's the first mech that has more than 6 missile hardpoints and it has the tonnage to make meaningful use of them in bulk.

With Endo-Steel and an XL 340 you have 32.5 tons and 27 slots to play with. If you keep the stock XL 280, you get 39 tons to play with. You'll be able to dump your missile load incredibly fast, although it's worth mentioning that it's going to run hot as balls. You won't shut down from an alpha strike, though, which means you can alpha people in the face or back and scuttle away giggling at the 103 damage alpha you just dropped. I'm seriously doubtful that we'll see any meaningful quirks on this mech.

What I'm saying is, expect pubbies to be rolling out the gates with no Endo-Steel, 9xLRM5s, and 17.5 tons of ammo.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Olesh posted:

What I'm saying is, expect pubbies to be rolling out the gates with no Endo-Steel, 9xLRM5s, and 17.5 tons of ammo.

4 LRM10's and 5 SSRM2's.

Wtf why are SSRM2 cooldown 3.5? That is super dumb. If the cooldown was 2s it might be viable on the archer. It might actually be worthwhile to make a standard engine build with 4xSRM6 and 5xSRM2 to avoid ghost heat and have better ammo conservation.

Washout fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 26, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Olesh posted:

Since the game is actually fun for the moment, I don't mind throwing the occasional $20 PGI's way.

There's pretty much no way that this variant isn't going to be some kind of bananas. It's the first mech that has more than 6 missile hardpoints and it has the tonnage to make meaningful use of them in bulk.

With Endo-Steel and an XL 340 you have 32.5 tons and 27 slots to play with. If you keep the stock XL 280, you get 39 tons to play with. You'll be able to dump your missile load incredibly fast, although it's worth mentioning that it's going to run hot as balls. You won't shut down from an alpha strike, though, which means you can alpha people in the face or back and scuttle away giggling at the 103 damage alpha you just dropped. I'm seriously doubtful that we'll see any meaningful quirks on this mech.

The sheer number of dumb pubbie builds will be staggering.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Yeah, there will be no avoiding the LRMageddon. We are going to have to embrace the insanity.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
could you, uh, could you fit 9 LRM20 on it

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Drythe posted:

I want an eight hatchet quad mech

:parrot: :unsmigghh: :parrot:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pattonesque posted:

could you, uh, could you fit 9 LRM20 on it

9 LRM 20s is 90 tons, which no mech can carry with both ammo and an engine.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
is 6 tons of ams ammo too much?

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Banano posted:

is 6 tons of ams ammo too much?

How many AMS are you boating? If your answer is One, then yes. Yes thats too much.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
What mechs can carry 3 AMS? Could see some comedy is making bad archers waste all their ammo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I'm glad I picked up that 3 AMS Kit Fox.

• Locked thread