Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Has he ever done any wuxia, kung fu or fighting of of any kind in anything is really the more important question I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Omnomnomnivore posted:

He plays a gay knight (whose whole character is, very sadly, "a gay knight") on Game of Thrones.

Oh I actually knew that, it just didn't occur to me that that suggestion was purely a joke based on that.

edit: ^not according to his IMDB page, which is disappointing. Fortunatly, Iron Fist wears a mask, so stunt doubling will be pretty easy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Note that it's an unconfirmed rumour:

quote:

Netflix and Marvel had no comment.

The Youtube channel which started the rumour said that they can't confirm it but they've "got a good feeling about it"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh god damnit, it's Ryan Phillippe all over again.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

EW and Variety don't seem the type to run the story without checking with sources, and they both have had pretty good relationships with Marvel. And there have been rumors that Iron Fist was cast a while back, but they didn't say who it was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

EW and Variety don't seem the type to run the story without checking with sources, and they both have had pretty good relationships with Marvel. And there have been rumors that Iron Fist was cast a while back, but they didn't say who it was.

Yeah if this was BleedingCool or LR that'd be one thing, actual industry rags have a higher threshold for what rumors they'll run.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If Variety is confident enough to run the story then they have some kind of verifiable confirmation outside of some random podcast.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm confused, where is Variety saying this? The link that was posted was to "superherohype.com". EW is pretty credible I guess though...

edit: V gotcha.

Snak fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 25, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/iron-fist-finn-jones-netflix-series-marvel-1201715086/

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/25/finn-jones-iron-fist

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Variety says right in theirs that they confirmed it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

zoux posted:

Trailer 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cn3DVV0LHY

They're called...the Hand.
This got me so pumped that I'm practically crying.

Aaaaand there goes the high. :geno:

Hope he can at least fight.

(RIP Loras Tyrell? I don't know how this would affect his GoT character, if at all)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zoux posted:

Trailer 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cn3DVV0LHY

They're called...the Hand.

Foggy status: still a little bitch

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

BrianWilly posted:

This got me so pumped that I'm practically crying.

(RIP Loras Tyrell? I don't know how this would affect his GoT character, if at all)

I doubt it would impact his role on GoT, the character only appears a couple of times a season anyway.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aphrodite posted:

Variety says right in theirs that they confirmed it.

Later in the article they clarify "Rumors of Jones’ casting were first reported by That Hashtag Show, and later confirmed by EW. Marvel and Netflix had no comment" but the EW article says "Jones’ casting was first floated as a rumor on That Hashtag Show" and "Netflix and Marvel had no comment."

If they got confirmation from some other source they don't mention it at all. I'm not saying it's a fake rumour, I'm just pointing out that no one has posted any kind of valid source yet.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Snak posted:

This could actually totally work. There's no reason that a billionaire playboy needs to be straight.

Bring in Miguel Knight as his significant other?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

why does he need to know how to fight? the character wears a mask. its not like the daredevil guy can flip around and poo poo, its his double

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I steeled myself waiting for the casting to be announced but it still feels like a punch in the gut. Can't wait to see a bunch of expendable Asian extras fall before our alabaster hero.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

What's worse: Danny Rand being white like his comic counterpart, or the MCU kung fu superhero being the token asian?

I ask this honestly because the outrage toward either is baffling and hilarious to me.

e: like I'm certainly not offended as a Greek person that they didn't cast a Greek actress for Elektra

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Greeks are white so it's okay.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just think it's funny that Marvel and DC both have Greek superheroines, neither of which have ever been played by Greek actresses.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's safe to say if you care about any of that poo poo you're a mouth breathing idiot who's opinions are often largely ignored regardless of the subject.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

Greeks are white so it's okay.

Danny Rand is also white so

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Can't wait to see a bunch of expendable Asian extras fall before our alabaster hero.

ITT: People who don't understand the Iron Fist story and don't care because white guilt...

quote:

What's worse: Danny Rand being white like his comic counterpart, or the MCU kung fu superhero being the token asian?

I know, right? It's hilarious. It's like, "I really want to show how much white guilt I have, but I have to be loving racist to do so. I am so conflicted!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

According to some brief Googling, the only Greek actress in Hollywood (and we are stretching it here) under 35 is Sasha Grey.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I steeled myself waiting for the casting to be announced but it still feels like a punch in the gut. Can't wait to see a bunch of expendable Asian extras fall before our alabaster hero.

Iron Fist only fights the bad Asians.

He was trained by the good Asians to fight the bad Asians.

The deadliest art of America is now in the hands of the Orient.

K'un Lun Billionaire.

edit: ^I'm surprised that Netflix demographic research didn't suggest a significant overlap between people who like comic books and people who like Sasha Grey and try to cast her. Maybe they did and she turned it down.

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 26, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

According to some brief Googling, the only Greek actress in Hollywood (and we are stretching it here) under 35 is Sasha Grey.

Sasha Grey is Greek?

Nice.

e: Marie Avgeropoulos from the 100 is hella Greek but the only person I can think of who isn't like Tina Fey, Jennifer Aniston or Nia Vardalos who are all over 35 anyway

esperterra fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 26, 2016

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I, for one, have not been this offended since they announced that Wolverine would be played by non-Canadian Hugh Jackman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

English, irish, Greek and Polish according to Wikipedia.

So Greek like how Johnny Depp is Cherokee.

But seriously it's apparently like Jennifer Aniston, Maria Menounos and Nia Vardalos for Greek women in Hollywood. Pretty short list.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

I, for one, have not been this offended since they announced that Wolverine would be played by non-Canadian Hugh Jackman.
Are you kidding?

What about that time they had that loving Welsh dude play Odin?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Aphrodite posted:

English, irish, Greek and Polish according to Wikipedia.

So Greek like how Johnny Depp is Cherokee.

But seriously it's apparently like Jennifer Aniston, Maria Menounos and Nia Vardalos for Greek women in Hollywood. Pretty short list.

I'm pretty sure there are Greek actresses available. I mean, there are millions of Greek people after all!!!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm sure there's a place on the internet tailor made for all your complaints on white guy cast to play white guy. But this thread is not going to be one of them. Sorry. I don't think the majority of the people here care and the conversation is just going to go in circles and nobody wins. So let's drop it before it turns into 20 pages of people trying their hardest to have most moral stance on this issue.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
edit: Fine. Never mind.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I never watched GoT, is this guy any good?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
He is, though Ser Loras Tyrell has been somewhat bastardized by the TV show version. From "When the sun has set, no candle can replace it" to comedy gay character. Sigh.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

He's a fine choice for Danny Rand IMO. I think these shows have been super well cast so far. On GoT he plays a very snobby, conceited young knight from the wealthiest family in the kingdom.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

HIJK posted:

They turned Loras into a one note stereotype in the show, so not the best judge of his range. He does well tho.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

HIJK posted:

the only thing he's done on GoT is gently caress some dudes and be arrested for it

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Sounds like Iron Fist will be decent enough then.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Basically, even the worst roles on Game of Thrones are filled by the best actors. Doran Martell, for instance. Give Alexander Siddig a role that, in the books, was absolutely amazing and completely change that role and then reduce its screen time to 5 minutes over a season. That's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

DFu4ever posted:

ITT: People who don't understand the Iron Fist story and don't care because white guilt...

I know, right? It's hilarious. It's like, "I really want to show how much white guilt I have, but I have to be loving racist to do so. I am so conflicted!"

I know Iron Fist's story and I'm not white. You can tell the story of a rich kid being an outsider without trotting out mighty whitey.

As far as the token Asian hero being the kung fu guy, it's preferable to having the undoubtedly Asian extras doing martial arts but not getting any nuance or character development.