Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Fraudulent should be nicknamed Virgin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Yay I'm in and with fabulous hair and a bad rear end gun. Also you can pronounce ChiRho as Cairo because greek is funny like that.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Fat Samurai posted:

Well that was fast, saw 30 minutes and thought something terrible had happened :ohdear:

To the drones.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

That outsider was just testing his drones and then you ruined his day!

Then his life.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
Commander, the tech boys just got done decoding some data they pulled off the latest crashed UFO's computers.

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

drat I feel real bad I've been away so haven't kept up with the thread and literally the next video after I went away I'm a soldier. Going to catch up with the thread, hopefully I haven't been too terrible commander.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
You've been a disappointment.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Okay, I got my federal return so I decided to purchase XCOM 2. Is anybody interested in a stream of this game? I'll be sure to upload the footage to youtube. It will be mostly blind. I did the tutorial and the first mission just to get the graphical settings and OBS dialed in.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ProfessorBooty posted:

Okay, I got my federal return so I decided to purchase XCOM 2. Is anybody interested in a stream of this game? I'll be sure to upload the footage to youtube. It will be mostly blind. I did the tutorial and the first mission just to get the graphical settings and OBS dialed in.

Like, right now?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Absolutely! It's a good game. But, for everyone's sanity, get these mods before you start:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=626326932

I made a collection of gameplay improving mods that don't change anything big. I'd recommend everything but True Concealment and Avatar Project reworked off that list.

If you don't want to, at the very least get Stop Wasting My Time, because it cuts down all the unnecessary delays.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Wheany posted:

Like, right now?

About 4 hours from now? (16:00/17/18/19 US time zones, 23:00 GMT). If it goes on a while then there's a possibility Kidneyman will join in, but that would require a pause for some setup.

Yami Fenrir posted:

If you don't want to, at the very least get Stop Wasting My Time, because it cuts down all the unnecessary delays.

I think I'll install that mod - otherwise I want to play the game 'as intended', so I can complain.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ProfessorBooty posted:

About 4 hours from now? (16:00/17/18/19 US time zones, 23:00 GMT). If it goes on a while then there's a possibility Kidneyman will join in, but that would require a pause for some setup.

I think I'll install that mod - otherwise I want to play the game 'as intended', so I can complain.

Fair enough - one thing though: Retroactive AWC is basically a bug fix.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I probably won't be up but if you record it I'll watch it after.

Also totally downloading the awc bug fix.

Affi fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 25, 2016

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Affi posted:

I probably won't be up but if you record it I'll watch it after.

I definitely won't be up

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hell yeah, after putting so many hours into the game it'll be nice to see it from a fresh perspective.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011
Hey profesor you gonna post a link here for your stream?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Yes :) I'll post it here and in the stream thread.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
http://www.hitbox.tv/professorbooty

Channel is live now. I'll start as soon as some people join in.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

ProfessorBooty posted:

I'll be watching on and off since I'm at work. Don't wait for me though.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

ProfessorBooty posted:

Just joined. Glad I caught this.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Links: Mission 111 | Strategy 111

The audio on these videos turned out really, really bad. I did my best to clean it up, but I apologize in advance. The good news is that we have a much better mic we're using now.

New Stuff

We unlocked Gene mods, which is handy and important, but really tough to justify until we get a handle on the soldier situation, which unfortunately probably won't happen until we start getting things like Advanced Surgery to reduce wound times. I'll do a quick run down, but our bigger priorities will be secondary heart, iron skin, and adaptive bone marrow. Most of these gene mods give anywhere from +3 to +12 fatigue, which might be a little too much for our roster. The good news is we have all of them available. I would recommend reading on the specifics here.

Neural Damping & Smart Macrophages

I've never been a fan of the brain gene mods. With the exception of mind control psi inspiration is a handy counter to most of the psi powers this defends against. Neural damping isn't available to psionics. Smart Macrophages is handy just for the immunity to acid. I would say for the most part these two mods are for the rich.

Depth Perception & Hyper Reactive Pupils

I wouldn't bother with Depth Perception until I get flying armor. Hyper Reactive Pupils is usually the go-to ability (+10 aim after a miss), especially for most double-shot classes like gunners and infantry.

Iron Skin & Bioelectric Skin

Iron skin is great, +1 DR. It also adds 12 hours of fatigue. Bioelectric skin lets you know where enemies are if they're within sight radius but not in Line of Sight (like, they're in a building or something), so its good for scouts.

Adaptive Bone Marrow & Muscle Fiber Density

Jumpy legs for berserker-type classes, not much to say there. Adaptive Bone Marrow allows wound regeneration (but not armor HP. Useful in desperate circumstances), but its biggest use is reducing wound time by 66%, which stacks with Advanced Surgery. I'm not sure if its and additive stack or multiplicative. My guess is the latter because 0.04x wound time would be basically no time at all.

Secondary Heart & Adrenal Neurosympathy

Secondary Heart used to be the biggest go-to gene mod because it made crit wounds a minor inconvenience at best. Now it prevents the -5 will, but it doesn't prevent the added 24 hours of fatigue, so this gene mod is less important. Adrenal Neurosympathy has a nice big area of effect - from what I understand it works with all soldiers that the soldier proccing the ability can see. Adrenal Neurosympathy gives +10 aim/crit and +1 or 2 mobility to nearby soldiers. Its good for snipers and critfantry and the like.

So I hope you folks like looking at the gene lab. Its giving us a +5% adjacency bonus for now. Once Exalt are gone and done for we'll be finding ourselves performing a lot fewer missions, and that should hopefully give us time to start doing some gene mods. We'll likely focus on MECs first, though.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh wow I am not good at this game and I'm yelling at this video. :( Not checking the guy Neko could shoot, and (as was mentioned at the end) moving Steel into that easy flank was a real issue. Also y'all are really bad at snap counting. No offence. And then you got your confidence back! A bunch of good shots. You handled those mutons really well.

Zaark and Xelada earning their keep already. That'xelada hits!

"Who did 10 damage?" on an overwatch that involved Zore... She earned that promo.

This was a really exciting video. This LP remains the highlight of my week. Thanks guys. :shobon:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Silent track.

Because it has treads.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
In fairness, that video's a really great demonstration of why you shouldn't rely on anything that's not a %100 shot if you can avoid it. So, SO many misses on 80+ shots that mission...

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Hey buddy I think you forgot to send the covert op on the mission?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Affi posted:

Yeah, kinda seemed that way to me too.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Sorry Commander(s), the goggles did nothing against lasers to the face. See you in a month.

Mootiman
May 9, 2005
i snorted at zaarkophagus i couldnt help it but that was a really rough one and those pods were enormous. is that going to be a thing from here on out?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Mootiman posted:

i snorted at zaarkophagus i couldnt help it but that was a really rough one and those pods were enormous. is that going to be a thing from here on out?

I assume we've found an "earned" nickname already, by way.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ikanreed posted:

I assume we've found an "earned" nickname already, by way.

Several people in my long war game earned the title "no hitter" so I'd remember to only bring one of them at a time :v:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

ProfessorBooty posted:

Is this stream archived anywhere, or going up on youtube? Be interesting to see your first impressions Prof.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Just got around to watching the video. Fuckin' great intermission! :thumbsup:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Also this was probably the best episode yet. You were both in good form and the aliens were xcom. Also very very tense because this could have ended badly when you lost your cover destruction in steel.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

I'd love to see an archived version or something as well, seeing as I was unable to watch the stream due to timezones.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Sorry for taking so long to reply!

Affi posted:

We sent her. We just had to spin the globe a bit to get Tax Refund off Fatigue. 13:04.

Teledahn posted:

Is this stream archived anywhere, or going up on youtube? Be interesting to see your first impressions Prof.

Dear lord, the stream was a complete trainwreck. There were a lot of really great moments, so after some editing I'll put the stream on youtube. I'm not a great streamer; I have this tendency to neither save the chat, while replying directly to it, so a later viewer is sure to have a hard time figuring out what I'm talking about. Kidneyman joined in somewhere in the middle, which helped smooth things out - after the way-too-much-time spent getting the technical issues out of the way.

I don't know why but I find this hilarious.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

ProfessorBooty posted:

Dear lord, the stream was a complete trainwreck. There were a lot of really great moments, so after some editing I'll put the stream on youtube. I'm not a great streamer; I have this tendency to neither save the chat, while replying directly to it, so a later viewer is sure to have a hard time figuring out what I'm talking about. Kidneyman joined in somewhere in the middle, which helped smooth things out - after the way-too-much-time spent getting the technical issues out of the way.

Train yourself to say the comment out loud then address it. It may seem like mandwaving while you think up a lie but it lets the audience hear the comment a second time (while also mandwaving).

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Rick_Hunter posted:

Train yourself to say the comment out loud then address it. It may seem like mandwaving while you think up a lie but it lets the audience hear the comment a second time (while also mandwaving).

You're right, that's something I sort of told myself before I started the stream. I picked up bad habits when I did Dark Souls/FTL streams last summer, where I was effectively just having a conversation with the two-to-three people. Practice makes perfect, of course.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The trial run was...a bit rough, with a lot of amusing hiccups. Without spoiling too much, X-Com and especially Long War put an emphasis on slow and steady tactics. X-Com 2 does not. It was a learning experience.

Also,

what is this word. even google doesn't seem to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Shady Amish Terror posted:

what is this word. even google doesn't seem to know

I made it up right now. When I was thinking about it, I was thinking of an old episode of Home Improvement where Tim's plan to lie to his wife was to repeat the question so he could think up another answer. It's a very poor portmanteau of 'man' and 'handwaving'. :shobon:

• Locked thread