Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

My old boss wants me to come work for his new startup, at the same salary, lose all my benefits including 5 weeks of vacation, but he promises it would be worth it because ~equity~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

JawKnee posted:

where exactly should these public sector cuts go into effect?

they could start with the human rights comission

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Oh yeah, that would close the gap for sure :jerkbag:

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

It's really hard to respond to complaints like that, when there's so much that goes into getting a job beyond just education and posted qualifications. My experience with going back to school (I graduate soon thank gently caress) has me really lamenting the lack of practical education we're providing people on how to network to get a job, and I have absolutely no idea how you teach that. How do you teach people that it's important to go out to mixers, or participate in clubs, or attend industry events, even if it doesn't result in a job this very second, because it's the attitude behind it that will get you the job.

Rime posted:

Point out that it's the schmucks who spent 4 years partying every night at Uni and skipped almost every class who are walking into $80k out the door while the studious ones are sitting unemployed on the bread line.

If they can't logic out the connection there, they can't be helped anyways. Most people "get it" by the time they start nearing 30. :shrug:

I have virtually no network which can vouch for me, simply because I always had to drive home from University each day over some distance, so the amount of time I ever had for networking as such was always limited. Add in having no small amount of actual academic difficulties in my later years due to the arcane graduation requirements, (which it turns out where actually outdated anyway,) and I just wasn't able to be a social butterfly even if I wanted to. The few jobs I was ever able to get were because of somebody who was able to vouch for me, but now I've exhausted the few connections I had and I can't land a job even with a STEM degree.

The more time passes, the more clear it is to me that if Canadian society has no place for me in it, then I'll have no choice but to go it alone. I'm not an entrepreneur by choice -- the very prospect frightens me -- but if labour conditions are worsening and even the industries that remain are closing ranks, then what choice do I have? I can only hope I'll survive long enough to complete something saleable.

The only good perspective on this is that there isn't any point in kissing up if you already know there's nothing to gain from it. Why not bite the hand which starves you?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If I ever have to stop being self employed I'm super hosed, I dropped out of uni after two years and have virtually zero marketable skills.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

My old boss wants me to come work for his new startup, at the same salary, lose all my benefits including 5 weeks of vacation, but he promises it would be worth it because ~equity~

If you're going to do it demand a big salary bump or a quarterly bonus structure (or both). It's just VC money anyways, if he really wants you he'll pay. If you play it right you can come out way ahead.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Do it ironically posted:

they could start with the human rights comission

8-8.5 million for the 2014/2015 year (couldn't find 2015/2016) as stated here (page 43) unless I'm reading it wrong. That ain't a hell of a lot if you're worried about a 10 B deficit - why else do you think the AHRC should be removed exactly?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

And? Weigh the risk, and take it if you're up to the challenge. Or don't. Why would react like that? If you don't want to do something, thanks, not interested.

I don't understand this kind of attitude at all.

Yea, some people walk into great jobs because of family connections (or luck) but there's also a lot of whining about how other people are doing when if you really examined your own choices you could probably point out places you went wrong. Sadly degree choice is often one of them (if you wanted a high income, at least... I envy sociology PHDs I know who get to do interesting and fulfilling work, but I'll almost certainly always make more money than them).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jordan7hm posted:

And? Weigh the risk, and take it if you're up to the challenge. Or don't. Why would react like that? If you don't want to do something, thanks, not interested.

I don't understand this kind of attitude at all.

I think it's more of a "LOL @ tech startups" post. It takes a certain sort of person to make that kind of offer with a straight face. Anyone offering you equity in a startup in lieu of pay and benefits thinks you're a loving moron.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

Yea, most people that walk into great jobs do so because of family connections (or luck)

And everyone else eat increasing amounts of poo poo, now you're getting it

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Rime posted:

Point out that it's the schmucks who spent 4 years partying every night at Uni and skipped almost every class who are walking into $80k out the door while the studious ones are sitting unemployed on the bread line.

If they can't logic out the connection there, they can't be helped anyways. Most people "get it" by the time they start nearing 30. :shrug:

Yeah, that'll help. "Mr. Counsellor, I feel a crushing despair because I am a talented and intelligent individual who can barely scrape by each month, because the workforce has decided to stack the cards against anyone who didn't attend university. Hell, even my friends who did go to university are barely getting ahead financially. Frankly it's become exhausting mentally and physically, and I don't want to be doing drudge work for poor wages when I hit 40, so I think it's wise that I quit before my body gives out and life gets even worse for me."

A therapist isn't going to fix the underlying economic reality I was born into, ya dumb gently caress.

Jesus christ dude, seek help. Depression and literally suicidal ideation is not strictly the result of economic conditions, its a clear sign of mental health issues. I am literally in the same boat as you, as are many of my friends, but I am definitely not at your stage of depression. I'm not trying to wave away your criticism of economic prosperity and the way its tied into a dumb university education, but it's clear that for you there's more going on. Honestly, this isn't snarky internet posting, please seek some help.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tighclops posted:

And everyone else eat increasing amounts of poo poo, now you're getting it

I mean, if that's your attitude, sure. Success is literally just luck so why even bother.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Mincome anyone?

What's being discussed is a pilot project, three areas, urban, rural and reserve. Each person gets 10k per year, which isn't much, but is better than nothing.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

infernal machines posted:

I think it's more of a "LOL @ tech startups" post. It takes a certain sort of person to make that kind of offer with a straight face. Anyone offering you equity in a startup in lieu of pay and benefits thinks you're a loving moron.

My current employer offered me equity after telling me if they paid my overtime claim they would go bankrupt. I told them to pound sand and gave them my two weeks notice.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rime posted:

My current employer offered me equity after telling me if they paid my overtime claim they would go bankrupt. I told them to pound sand and gave them my two weeks notice.

I'm shocked you have trouble getting work.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

infernal machines posted:

Yeah this, even if I could parlay it into more money, I want my vacation and he was kind of a dick to work for anyways.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Do it ironically posted:

Cut public sector salaries and layoff superfluous positions there are tens of thousands of jobs gone and tax won't come in from them supporting a high paid public sector isn't feasible anymore.

Increase employment by swiftly and decisively decreasing the number of people who are employed! :eng99: Come on, even most Ontarians aren't dumb enough to believe in Hudakonomics.

Helsing posted:

What do you think they should do instead? I'm obviously not asking for a precise budget but just off-the-cuff, what you your preferred response be?

No, you see, public servants are really servants, and they should be grateful they're even paid at all, because they aren't good enough to do anything other than to serve the public, being servants and all.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Rime posted:

I'm curious how they planned to sell you on equity in a company that can't afford to pay an overtime claim. It seems like that wasn't very well thought out. Hopefully you got the MoL involved for the overtime though.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Mincome anyone?

What's being discussed is a pilot project, three areas, urban, rural and reserve. Each person gets 10k per year, which isn't much, but is better than nothing.

Robert-Falcon Oulette is a pretty cool guy and this is a cool idea.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I don't want to sound so libertarian but ugh.

Once you have a job you're not loving done at all. You should be spending time plotting your upwards trajectory frequently and what you need to do to get there. Don't get lazy and complacent. Ask for and Get raises to all parts of your compensation and ride off into the drat sunset like Scrooge McDuck mortgage free by 40 if you play your poo poo right. Otherwise you'll be 55 working as a subordinate to a late 20s/early 30s person who is doing half the work getting paid twice as much as you.

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008

Do it ironically posted:

lol I love the smug attitude of everyone who hates alberta like it's not a part of canada, they're just jealous they didn't get in on it when it was good

I don't care that I will be laid off, I'm actually looking forward to getting a change of scenery in another province

As a fellow engineer from Alberta, you're a great reminder of why I left that province.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm shocked you have trouble getting work.

Lol, and you would stay at a company that is apparently a bee's dick away from folding?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

M.McFly posted:

As a fellow engineer from Alberta, you're a great reminder of why I left that province.

trust me i won't lose any sleep over your internet insults

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Lol, and you would stay at a company that is apparently a bee's dick away from folding?

~At least I have a job~

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ah that's what I like to see. SJWs in Canada getting real Canadian

That's right gently caress y'all I'm rich and yous about to feel bankruptcy pain lmao

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

Mincome anyone?

Why the gently caress isn't the proposed amount at least what's considered poverty level?

Tell the people you shill for to cancel the bullshit middle class tax cut and bump up mincome.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Before y'all sew Canadian flags to your mec backpacks and go take ~a sabbatical~ in Europe or some poo poo, remember, Canadians are loving human garbage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

How could we forget? We're reminded every time you post.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I know you all need reminding because most of this thread thinks they're ~making a difference ~

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Jordan7hm posted:

I mean, if that's your attitude, sure. Success is literally just luck so why even bother.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Before y'all sew Canadian flags to your mec backpacks and go take ~a sabbatical~ in Europe or some poo poo, remember, Canadians are loving human garbage

They sure are, CI. They sure are

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Its weird to see CI show up in the SOUS VIDE thread..

How'd that fish turn out?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

Why the gently caress isn't the proposed amount at least what's considered poverty level?

Tell the people you shill for to cancel the bullshit middle class tax cut and bump up mincome.

Well, the first step would be to stop taxing the income of those under the poverty line. Absolutely shameful.

T8R
Aug 9, 2005
Yes, I would like some tea!
The true poverty line is somewhere in the middle? :shrug:

M.McFly
Oct 23, 2008
For those that missed it, today the government released a parliamentary report around doctor assisted suicide. I know this goes against "Libs gonna lib" vibe we like to parrot around here, but it looks pretty reasonable. I guess we'll wait and see see what the actual bill says when it's tabled.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/assisted-dying-committee-recommendations-1.3463392

Mature minors and mentally ill people should not be excluded from the right to doctor-assisted death, according to a special committee of MPs and senators.

A 70-page report tabled Thursday, called "Medical Assistance in Dying: A Patient-Centred Approach," also says Canadians should have the right to make an "advance request" for medical aid in dying after being diagnosed with certain debilitating, but not necessarily terminal, conditions.

It says the right to assisted death should not be limited to physical conditions, and that Canadians with psychiatric conditions should not be excluded from doctor assistance to end suffering.

Read the report of the assisted-dying committee (pdf)
THE CURRENT | Doctor-assisted death and children
Assisted death legislation and psychological suffering
Let people opt for assisted death while still competent: group
Only Ontario, Quebec have interim guidelines ready
"The committee recognizes that there will be unique challenges in applying the eligibility criteria for medical assistance in dying where the patient has a mental illness, particularly where such an illness is the condition underlying the request," the report reads.

"However, where a person is competent and fits the other criteria set out by law, the committee does not see how that individual could be denied a recognized Charter right based on his or her mental health condition.""

For posterity check out the comments:

As a person who has a father with dementia, I find this decision unbelievable. Just because a person may not know who they are, or who their loved ones are, does not make that persons life less worthy of life. I am absolutely appalled. The Supreme Court made a very bad decision. Suicide is a persons choice, but this legislation will give people the ability to commit themselves to a death sentence well before they even know what their lives will be like. If the death penalty is not legal, then assisted suicide shouldn't be either.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Cultural Imperial posted:

Ah that's what I like to see. SJWs in Canada getting real Canadian

That's right gently caress y'all I'm rich and yous about to feel bankruptcy pain lmao

And yet all those zeros on your pay check just can't seem to buy the love your parents forgot to show you as a kid.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
But I can buy booze which is the same thing

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Yeah well we all know CI figured that out a looooong time ago.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Mincome anyone?

Well, an older single person in B.C. is pulling in less than that a year on welfare/OAP/disability pension/whatever. Still not enough to live on without a sideline business stealing copper or running classes in breatharianism.

It will be interesting to see which reserves are chosen for the pilot. As I recall the Maskwacis reserve in Alberta essentially had a mincome system thanks to oil revenues but demonstrated that money was not the sole solution to their crime and suicide problems.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Melian Dialogue posted:

Jesus christ dude, seek help. Depression and literally suicidal ideation is not strictly the result of economic conditions, its a clear sign of mental health issues. I am literally in the same boat as you, as are many of my friends, but I am definitely not at your stage of depression. I'm not trying to wave away your criticism of economic prosperity and the way its tied into a dumb university education, but it's clear that for you there's more going on. Honestly, this isn't snarky internet posting, please seek some help.

We disagree on pretty much everything but I appreciate the concern. I'm not planning on killing myself tomorrow, however I'm quite fed up that at nearly 26 I'm working utterly garbage gigs below my CV, for starvation wages, and watching my friends do the same as they slowly lose the reasonably paid positions they acquired last decade.

I am not content to live paycheque to paycheque, in a hovel with 3 other adults, so I can drink beer and watch TV. If there's very clearly no hope of me attaining the lofty goals I desire due to external factors beyond my control, I'll eventually just give up and check out early. :shrug:

And you'll see a lot more of this attitude unless the social support system wakes the gently caress up, particularly in seniors.

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST

Rime posted:

We disagree on pretty much everything but I appreciate the concern. I'm not planning on killing myself tomorrow, however I'm quite fed up that at nearly 26 I'm working utterly garbage gigs below my CV, for starvation wages, and watching my friends do the same as they slowly lose the reasonably paid positions they acquired last decade.

I am not content to live paycheque to paycheque, in a hovel with 3 other adults, so I can drink beer and watch TV. If there's very clearly no hope of me attaining the lofty goals I desire due to external factors beyond my control, I'll eventually just give up and check out early. :shrug:

Look, I don't know your circumstances but is there a reason you haven't pursued some type of post secondary? Sure it's no instant guarantee, but the macro numbers on wages and quality of life are still higher than no degree. What about tech programs or trades? I thought you were doing some GIS thing or something. Even a one year program that has some sort of job placement would be good.

While I'm no advocate of bootstraps philosophy for public policy, for personal philosophy sometimes it really is the only thing you can do to keep yourself from slipping into that cynical, poisonous self-wallowing. I've been there too so I know how soul sucking it can be, I mean I'm your age and only now finishing myt undergrad with limited potential for more fulfilling employment. Positivity isn't a philosophy, its pretty much a mandatory coping mechanism.

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 26, 2016