Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

my future plans for housing include a studio apartment in the middle of nowhere, u.s.a. that is perfect for curling into the fetal position and thinking about the existential dread that plagues us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Panfilo posted:

:byodood: "WHO RUN BARTERTOWN™ THE ARTISANAL CO OP VEGAN GROCERY EXCHANGE?"

Tumblr-Grumblr run Bartertown.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Inzombiac posted:

We wouldn't be so pissed if our housing market wasn't going ape poo poo. My GF and I make good money, work full time and would never be able to afford a house without making some blood sacrifice.

Last I checked, our housing vacancy rate was 1.7%. You cannot find a decent place unless you are loaded or willing to commute 2 hours.

During the first couple of years of the housing crash, the banks screwed up their requirements to the effect that many people who could manage to afford the predatory rates couldn't even get preapproval for the currently 'more affordable, less predatory' loan rules. And the bulk of the foreclosure inventory out there immediately went to rental firms bolstering portfolios. Real estate in PDX proper, Washington county at large, is all crooked, hosed up and evil.

So, while a PDX'er will say 'don't move here' because they're all curmudgeony xenophobes, we'll also say 'don't move here' because it's a real estate black hole.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Oh good another car hit my Miata while parked

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

ethanol posted:

wow, very millennial

*clap

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

5er posted:

During the first couple of years of the housing crash, the banks screwed up their requirements to the effect that many people who could manage to afford the predatory rates couldn't even get preapproval for the currently 'more affordable, less predatory' loan rules. And the bulk of the foreclosure inventory out there immediately went to rental firms bolstering portfolios. Real estate in PDX proper, Washington county at large, is all crooked, hosed up and evil.

So, while a PDX'er will say 'don't move here' because they're all curmudgeony xenophobes, we'll also say 'don't move here' because it's a real estate black hole.

don't move here, you weird fucks already ruined portland its getting worse.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I live in the East Bay, and even I can look north to Portland and laugh and laugh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

5er posted:

We've had similar poo poo going on in Denver for a while and it's funny how quickly my attitude about transplants changed where there stopped being anywhere to live and rent/home prices doubled in like 3 years.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

We've had similar poo poo going on in Denver for a while and it's funny how quickly my attitude about transplants changed where there stopped being anywhere to live and rent/home prices doubled in like 3 years.

Cleveland wins again?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Snatch Duster posted:

don't move here, you weird fucks already ruined portland its getting worse.

Portland was always terrible hth.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously I've lived my whole life either in the ghetto in Sacramento or in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. Living directly in the city is overrated, and it's mostly people afraid to live without access to stuff like takeout and luxury services that claim that rural USA is as bad as the third world

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

ethanol posted:

Sounds like you are parking wrong. A little personal responsibility goes a long way, my child.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You don't know easy living until you leave your car windows down and your house unlocked everywhere you go because nobody will rob you, and if they did everyone would know who did it

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Heh, can you even get authentic burritos in your city? :smuggo:

*spends more money on renting a studio apartment for 3 years then a large house with acres of land costs in the midwest*

Yeah, I can see Mexico from my roof. *bites in to burrito, washes it down with duty free small batch tequila* It's alright *fires gun toward border*

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Larry Parrish posted:

Seriously I've lived my whole life either in the ghetto in Sacramento or in the middle of nowhere in the mountains. Living directly in the city is overrated, and it's mostly people afraid to live without access to stuff like takeout and luxury services that claim that rural USA is as bad as the third world

what if you want to go to a nice restaurant, maybe see a concert or go to an art gallery or take a girl on a decent and interesting date that doesn't involve driving for 40 minutes to find something that is actually something, small rural towns have nothing in them and no worth to a regular person

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Irradiation posted:

Portland was always terrible hth.

It was at least livable. Now every loving place I go to there are pixie or fat sjw chicks. Dudes looking like shutins or faggy lumberjacks that never chopped camp fire wood.

The food is passable but over priced. Goddammit out of staters ruined an ok thing.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fonzarelli posted:

what if you want to go to a nice restaurant, maybe see a concert or go to an art gallery or take a girl on a decent and interesting date that doesn't involve driving for 40 minutes to find something that is actually something, small rural towns have nothing in them and no worth to a regular person
millennials don't deserve luxuries, if you believe this thread

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

symbolic posted:

millennials don't deserve luxuries, if you believe this thread

no one deserves luxuries you bourgeois scum

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Fonzarelli posted:

You could try the suburbs you know? There is something in between downtown big city and the open country.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
lmbo city kids

"What if I cant find a mcdonalds!"

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Fonzarelli posted:

Well then you should have been born to a richer family, clearly.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fonzarelli posted:

None of this exists outside a city of 5m. Fact

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I grew up in a town of 3200 and we had several restaurants, fast food places, libraries, ponds/lakes galore, a drat state park and of all things a badass drive in theater that's been there since the 70s. Sure there wasn't an NFL stadium or international airport but for 99.9% of stuff it rocked and was just fine.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

lmbo city kids

"What if I cant find a mcdonalds!"

more like "what if i can't eat any type of ethnic food whenever I feel like, or go to a selection of dozens of coffee shops and bars that are just in my suburb alone, or ever see any art showings or film festivals and only see one concert a year that i have to drive 4 hours to"

Tyson Tomko posted:

several restaurants

omg wow several restaurants, so much choice

amusinginquiry
Nov 8, 2009

College Slice
buncha city fags itt

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Fonzarelli posted:

more like "what if i can't eat any type of ethnic food whenever I feel like, or go to a selection of dozens of coffee shops and bars that are just in my suburb alone, or ever see any art showings or film festivals and only see one concert a year that i have to drive 4 hours to"

oh wow any type of ethnic food!

DOZENS OF COFFEE SHOPS JUST IN HIS SUBURBS

everybody check out this cosmopolitan he probably has a condo in three olive's building

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Fonzarelli posted:

I definitely love being able to get anything delivered to you within a few minutes yeah totally, but having to drive 20-30 minutes to a nice place to eat wasn't too bad. You just got bonus time with your girl in your dope ride on the way there and back. Of course you could also say you could hold hands and walk to the Korean place or whatever in a big city so you've got valid points. My point I guess is gently caress me was it 10000x cheaper and not a big deal to drive a little bit every now and then.

Also speaking of millennial stuff, I work with a guy that has a 4x2' Steve Jobs poster on the wall behind his computer (so he stares at him all day)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

oh wow any type of ethnic food!

DOZENS OF COFFEE SHOPS JUST IN HIS SUBURBS

everybody check out this cosmopolitan he probably has a condo in three olive's building

here's the thing though, its just a regular city, its not even special

don't get so angry because the only thing you have to do is drink beer while leaning against car and staring into the mid distance

naem
May 29, 2011

notZaar posted:

Well then you should have been born to a richer family, clearly.

Wait can you bootstrap your way to a wealthy family?

Can I just bust into a $4million dollar home and be like BOOTSTRAPS IM HOME HI MOM AND DAD

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

naem posted:

Wait can you bootstrap your way to a wealthy family?

Can I just bust into a $4million dollar home and be like BOOTSTRAPS IM HOME HI MOM AND DAD

its not that easy, but if you marry their daughter and slowly work to unhinge their biological son into delirium, then yeah

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fonzarelli posted:

here's the thing though, its just a regular city, its not even special

don't get so angry because the only thing you have to do is drink beer while leaning against car and staring into the mid distance

Do people really think this is the Midwest? Holy poo poo you millenials need to get mom to pay for a trip, not Podunk nowhere, but some towns that have 100k people. There are a few. But then podunks are a blast to stand on a bridge an drink a beer. No indie pale ales tho, on that bridge, but in town

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I've come to terms with being a millenial and have decided that I am King Millenial because I can afford to live in Brooklyn and support my wife who can stay at home and be pregnant.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

Do people really think this is the Midwest? Holy poo poo you millenials need to get mom to pay for a trip, not Podunk nowhere, but some towns that have 100k people. There are a few. But then podunks are a blast to stand on a bridge an drink a beer. No indie pale ales tho, on that bridge, but in town

Why wouldI possibly want to go to a town that has less than 100,000 people? What could it have that my city doesn't have? I'm from a small town as a kid and it was boring and lovely, everybody intelligent leaves when they're 18 and moves to the local capital. 100k people? gently caress i bet they have two chinese restaurants that just sell general tso

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol god forbid you see the stars in the sky, got so much "ethnic food" you gotta try

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fonzarelli posted:

Why wouldI possibly want to go to a town that has less than 100,000 people? What could it have that my city doesn't have? I'm from a small town as a kid and it was boring and lovely, everybody intelligent leaves when they're 18 and moves to the local capital. 100k people? gently caress i bet they have two chinese restaurants that just sell general tso

Just lol. Don't come outside your walls. Stay inside

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Darth123123 posted:

Just lol. Don't come outside your walls. Stay inside

haha okay fatty mcboring, what is so great about your sub 100k city? how many cool bands come through there? i bet you only have one movie theatre.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You know what the best thing is about buying a fuckload of land in the middle of nowhere?

You can build your own air field and runway and take your private jet or helicopter anywhere in the world and it costs next to nothing to build because everything is so cheap out there.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Fonzarelli posted:

haha okay fatty mcboring, what is so great about your sub 100k city? how many cool bands come through there? i bet you only have one movie theatre.

Wait a second, do you live in Toronto or Vancouver by chance?

Just a hunch

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fonzarelli posted:

What's cool? You define that right?

Prolly 30 screens within 15 minutes.

I also define my life by the media I consume, much like a brony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

reallivedinosaur posted:

Wait a second, do you live in Toronto or Vancouver by chance?

Just a hunch

nah Melbourne Australia, pretty drat close though in culture

Darth123123 posted:

What's cool? You define that right?

no, are you retarded? Just normal cool touring bands that are relevant, don't assign some weird hipster poo poo on me, you hillbilly. You seriously seem so fuckin mad that the place you live has nothing to do. Its okay, you're just a boring person that doesn't need to do anything, thats fine

Caesar Saladin fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Feb 26, 2016

• Locked thread