Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It also feels like every single B99 episode these days is a guest star episode, introducing characters that maybe could work in the show long-term in sporadic appearances (but probably wouldn't) but you just know they will be one-and-done. There's no real recurring supporting cast like a Jean-Ralphio or the Pawnee citizens or Purd Hapley or whomever. The Vulture and the Pontiac Bandit are basically it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed with both of the last two posts. Although I did find myself enjoying the latest Pontiac Bandit episode.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Toxxupation posted:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine wants to be Parks and Rec but unlike Parks and Rec it doesn't respect the stakes or plot developments of the world as established so devolves into one big nothing. it wants to have its cake and eat it too where it wants to be a laugh riot (it isn't that) but simultaneously be this very touching and affecting network sitcom where people grow and change (they don't, because the show periodically resets everything back to normal)

even 30 Rock despite being even goofier and more absurdist of a world than either of the other two respected the plots they progressed, like all of Jack and Liz's awful relationships
Yeah, I agree to some extent. I mean the show isn't bad but the magic has kinda worn off and even I'm like 4 episodes or 5 behind cause I don't care enough to catch up. I would honestly prefer to watch 30 Rock if you asked me to pick one or the other.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well yeah but 30 Rock is one of the funniest shows of all time

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

Holy poo poo you're a square.

I don't know how disliking a trend makes me a square. I don't mind other nose piercings, I just dislike the way that a septum ring looks.

Also, I had to look up what a square was. I think I've only ever heard that term used in early 90's Christmas movies.

thrawn527 posted:

The way you posted this made me think there was some hairstyle called a Septum ring, and I got super confused. I guess these are two unrelated thoughts?

Yeah, I was really speaking of fashion trends in general. 100 years ago, nobody would ever wear their hair in dreads, then Bob Marley popularized it, now nobody does it anymore, besides like 40 year old dads at Burning Man. Maybe when I'm old, it'll become popular again?

Same with tattoos. Giant tattoo sleeves are no longer popular, it's all about Blacklight tattoos, so you can be professional by day, and at a rave by night.

Bringing this topic back to TV, decade by decade, clothing styles change immensely. Nobody wears overalls anymore, despite that being what I grew up with in the late 90's. Star Trek lucked out by forcing everyone to wear a color coded uniform. I haven't seen The Expanse, yet, but I wonder how they determined clothing (and other fashion) in the future would look as compared with now. Caprica, I felt, failed to capture this point as it had almost everyone wear modern clothing, except for that one dude in a fedora.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Ser Loras (Margaery's brother) from Game of Thrones has just been cast as the lead in Netflix's Iron Fist, the follow-up to Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. Good for him!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

I don't know how disliking a trend makes me a square. I don't mind other nose piercings, I just dislike the way that a septum ring looks.

Also, I had to look up what a square was. I think I've only ever heard that term used in early 90's Christmas movies.

Yeah, I was really speaking of fashion trends in general. 100 years ago, nobody would ever wear their hair in dreads, then Bob Marley popularized it, now nobody does it anymore, besides like 40 year old dads at Burning Man. Maybe when I'm old, it'll become popular again?

Same with tattoos. Giant tattoo sleeves are no longer popular, it's all about Blacklight tattoos, so you can be professional by day, and at a rave by night.

Bringing this topic back to TV, decade by decade, clothing styles change immensely. Nobody wears overalls anymore, despite that being what I grew up with in the late 90's. Star Trek lucked out by forcing everyone to wear a color coded uniform. I haven't seen The Expanse, yet, but I wonder how they determined clothing (and other fashion) in the future would look as compared with now. Caprica, I felt, failed to capture this point as it had almost everyone wear modern clothing, except for that one dude in a fedora.

Dude, just quit while you're, I mean ahead isn't the word here, but you should stop.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I thought Ravane wasn't allowed to post in this thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ravane posted:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Ravane posted:

I haven't seen The Expanse, yet, but I wonder how they determined clothing (and other fashion) in the future would look as compared with now. Caprica, I felt, failed to capture this point as it had almost everyone wear modern clothing, except for that one dude in a fedora.

Funny story,

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good news:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/bones-renewed-12th-final-season-869665

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Interesting, I had no idea that Bones was played by Zooey Deschanel's sister.

Also, I don't know why this thread is being weirdly supportive of septum piercings but okay I'll stop. :confused:

square in the slang sense (as in be there or be square, i guess). Also that's a rectangle.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ravane posted:

I don't mind other nose piercings, I just dislike the way that a septum ring looks.

All nose piercings look terrible, it should've stayed in the 90s where it belonged. Most facial piercing just look/ed bad on 90% of people.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
They look really cute on cows :3:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Ravane posted:

square in the slang sense (as in be there or be square, i guess). Also that's a rectangle.

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ravane posted:

square in the slang sense

I guess you haven't seen that movie.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So Taboo looks like a pretty good show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Dude, just quit while you're, I mean ahead isn't the word here, but you should stop.

I think Ravane genuinely tries to be a good poster. He doesn't really succeed, but bless his heart, he tries.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
If I ever met Ravane in real life I think I'd be supernaturally compelled to beat them up and take their lunch money. I wouldn't even necessarily want to but it's my duty.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Like anyone who posts on SomethingAwful Forums was ever considered a jock at one point in their life.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Lady Naga posted:

If I ever met Ravane in real life I think I'd be supernaturally compelled to beat them up and take their lunch money. I wouldn't even necessarily want to but it's my duty.

Ravane is basically the Taint Reaper of this thread.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lady Naga posted:

I don't know how the conversation always comes back to this. :confused: I'm really trying to be a decent poster here. I think you could like me in real life, you'd just have to stop being angry all the time.

Did Legends of Tomorrow ever get better?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ravane posted:

Did Legends of Tomorrow ever get better?

It's not Flash bad, but it's not good except when Wentworth Miller is on screen.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

X-O posted:

It's not Flash bad, but it's not good except when Wentworth Miller is on screen.

This is the correct summary of Legends of Tomorrow.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know everyone has talked about it everywhere but I just caught last night's Blackish and it really was an amazing half hour of tv.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

I know everyone has talked about it everywhere but I just caught last night's Blackish and it really was an amazing half hour of tv.

I'm surprised at the lack of facebook posts from outraged white people that have to make everything about them. I guess they're still fatigued from outrage over Beyonce dancing aggressively and in a blackly manner.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

raditts posted:

I'm surprised at the lack of facebook posts from outraged white people that have to make everything about them. I guess they're still fatigued from outrage over Beyonce dancing aggressively and in a blackly manner.
Pretty sure Mark Zukerberg had to write a memo to his staff to stop scratching out "Black Lives Matter" and scribbling "All Lives Matter" around the office. It's kinda sad really but I guess ironic that the FB staff likes to mirror their userbase.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sober posted:

Like anyone who posts on SomethingAwful Forums was ever considered a jock at one point in their life.

Might wanna glance at YLLS before you say that, there are some loving shredded goons.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

raditts posted:

There are at least 100 'dear white people who do this' for every white person who does that. Like, did you even meet one person who actually complained about beyonce?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

I think it's because a lot of white people don't know that Blackish exists. I first heard of it in this thread like, yesterday. Everything I know about it is from comments in this thread in the last day.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Fooz posted:

There are at least 100 'dear white people who do this' for every white person who does that. Like, did you even meet one person who actually complained about beyonce?

I've met plenty of them as in they are people that I've known who are on my facebook friends list. I don't like, hang out with them or anything anymore, for obvious reasons.

wait, are you suggesting that these people don't actually exist, because loving :laffo:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Fooz posted:

geographic polarization, man. The BLM supporters and the all lives matter jerkoffs generally live in different geographic areas. That said, I have relatives that think "cracker" is as offensive an insult as the n-word, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they started ranting about #alllivesmatter at some point. The vast majority of white people in this country think racism is over, and black people just need to stop being mad and playing the race card. It's infuriating.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Last year, I was on the campus shuttle riding back to my parking lot, minding my own business, when this kid who was having a conversation with the guy sitting next to me started talking about how "sexism was over" and I had to interject "I think if you look around, there's plenty of evidence that it's not" and he was like "but on tumblr-" and I was like NO poo poo PEOPLE ON TUMBLR ARE DUMB THAT DOESN'T MEAN THERE AREN'T PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD. and then all his friends agreed with me. That's my story of how real morons exist who are clueless about societal problems.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fooz posted:

Yes. There was literally a conversation about how racist and Anti-Cop Beyonce's performance at my job between coworkers.

So yeaaaaaaah.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Snak posted:

Last year, I was on the campus shuttle riding back to my parking lot, minding my own business, when this kid who was having a conversation with the guy sitting next to me started talking about how "sexism was over" and I had to interject "I think if you look around, there's plenty of evidence that it's not" and he was like "but on tumblr-" and I was like NO poo poo PEOPLE ON TUMBLR ARE DUMB THAT DOESN'T MEAN THERE AREN'T PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD. and then all his friends agreed with me. That's my story of how real morons exist who are clueless about societal problems.
I mean yeah people on tumblr might need a little help now and again but they seem like the last people who would say sexism/racism/lgtbqia+/etc. discrimination is over. Like, the very last.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sober posted:

I mean yeah people on tumblr might need a little help now and again but they seem like the last people who would say sexism/racism/lgtbqia+/etc. discrimination is over. Like, the very last.

Oh his argument was the tumblr feminists were just a bunch of privileged whiners who either weren't facing persecution, or were busy being SJW instead of doing anything about it. And I pointed out that tumblr was almost certainly not representative of feminism as a whole that it's a pretty poor argument to claim that sexism doesn't exist because people on tumblr aren't fixing it. His argument was basically that if sexism wasn't over, women would be taking to the streets instead of complaining on tumblr.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Snak posted:

When did you stand up to face the professor and it turned out that you were a marine and also Albert Einstein and then everyone started clapping.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sleeveless posted:

When did you stand up to face the professor and it turned out that you were a marine and also Albert Einstein and then everyone started clapping.

Right after I proved that Allah was a "moon god" and not the real God.

Seriously, if the moon god evolved into the real God, how come there's still a moon, huh?

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Spatula City posted:

geographic polarization, man. The BLM supporters and the all lives matter jerkoffs generally live in different geographic areas. That said, I have relatives that think "cracker" is as offensive an insult as the n-word, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they started ranting about #alllivesmatter at some point. The vast majority of white people in this country think racism is over, and black people just need to stop being mad and playing the race card. It's infuriating.

Yeah I guess some of you guys live in crappy places then. I live in an insane liberal echo chamber, and I say that as a liberal.

raditts posted:

I've met plenty of them as in they are people that I've known who are on my facebook friends list. I don't like, hang out with them or anything anymore, for obvious reasons.

wait, are you suggesting that these people don't actually exist, because loving :laffo:

No, but my facebook was like 40:0 on "dear Beyonce haters" and anything negative about beyonce. I tried to find the source of it and all i found was one Giuliani quote and some fox news morning chat show thing. I guess i really can't gauge the scope of tonedeaf bullshit without a healthy sample size of tonedeaf idiots to survey.

Fooz fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Fooz posted:

Yeah I guess some of you guys live in crappy places then. I live in an insane liberal echo chamber, and I say that as a liberal.

I've lived all over the US, but one thing that baffled me (and still does) when I lived in California were the neckbeard ultra-atheists that were also anti-vaccine. I didn't know there was an option to be both.

• Locked thread