Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
which sister is best
This poll is closed.
sakura 11 6.96%
hinoka 21 13.29%
camilla 42 26.58%
elise 15 9.49%
im gay (in a nonironic sense) 69 43.67%
Total: 158 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
People on Danbooru take their boats seriously.

kibehisa posted:

Essentially, it depends who got the jump on who.
If the Iowa surprised the Yamato, the Iowa would have a fair if not large chance of winning.
If the Yamato surprised the Iowa, it'd be a toss up.

In addition to what @TotallyNotADuck brought up, there is an additional very important factor that most people fail to realize when comparing these two ships...

Only one of these ships actually had an 'immune zone' to the other's guns, and it wasn't the Yamato.

The Iowa's deck armor scheme was, over all, good; yet, at only 6" thick her armored deck didn't quite compare to that of the monstrous 9.1" thick armored deck of the Yamato.
However, this is where the capabilities of the individual guns come into effect. The 18.1"/45cals of the Yamato were designed primarily around defeating belt armor and deck armor as an after thought; the 16"/50cals of the Iowa on the other hand were explicitly designed to both equally well, and for this reason the US developed 'Reduced Charge' loads for the 16"/50cals and trained in their use.
At any range past about ~19000 yards up to maximum, the 16"/50cals could chew through the deck armor of the Yamato.
Comparatively, The Yamato's 18.1"/45cals could only penetrate the Iowa's deck armor between ~27000 yards and maximum range.

Now, their belt armors are an interesting subject. The Yamato may have had a behemoth 16.1" thick belt (inclined at -20 degrees), but the Iowa had what was simply an amazing Belt Armor scheme. She had a 12.2" belt (inclined at -19 degrees) backed up by a ~1.5" thick STS shell plate that served to sheer the AP cap off incoming projectiles up to 18.6" in diameter, effectively rendering the projectiles as fairly weak HE shells.
At any range inside of ~24000 yards, the Iowa's 16s could penetrate the belt armor of the Yamato.
Comparatively, because of the Iowa's shell plate, the Yamato could only penetrate the Iowa's belt armor inside of ~18000 yards.

Considering all of this, the Iowa would actually have an immune zone between ~18000 and ~27000 yards.
The American standard practice with their Battleships was to close to ~20-22000 yards for accuracy's sake, which would put the Iowa nicely in her immune zone verses the Yamato.

A classic web reading on this subject is http://www.combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm
Pay special attention to where the writer notes that he did not calculate for advantages that would have been in the Iowa's favor because things were already too lopsided.

PhyscoRedFerrett posted:

You may need to read Nathan Okun's revised article regarding decapping http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/tech-085.htm

In order to decap a shell, the decapping belt not only needs to be roughly 20% the thickness of the shell (the 1.5 inch decapping belt of the Iowa is well short of the 4 inches required(, it requires significant space between the decapping layer and the hardened armour belt for it to have any effect.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j1M889zIzZQ/UXj-vtc5-QI/AAAAAAAAAno/ZIlgK1VPaQg/w554-h721-no/decapping.JPG

Also the rounded caps of US shells tended to be very easy to decap, which may have lead to their skewed results in regards to US testing of the concept.

Also the penetration chart I provided is directly from Nathan Okun's calculator. Can you provide any source or link that verifies your claim that the Iowa can penetrate the Yamato at any range?

Also you seem focused on the Type 91 shell which admittedly has many deficiencies. However there is considerable evidence that the Yamato was stocked with (if not exclusively) with the newer Type 1 shell which had very impressive results regarding deck penetration, due to its flatter cap that allowed it to normalise even at extreme ranges.

You also seem to be failing to account for the angle of which your proposed reduced charge shells would hit the Yamato's deck at (Aside from the absurd notion that this is a uniquely american concept, any naval gun that is loaded with individual powder bags can do the same), the most optimistic angle you can expect is a 50 degree angle. In addition, the 3 inch upper deck armour is well situated to decap incoming Mark 8 shells. And again I would like to inquire as how you came to any information that suggests that the 12 inch turret armour of the Yamato would be penetrated. In addition a turret explosion is quite different from a magazine explosion and is rarely fatal to the ship (Hyuuga had a turret expolosion too). Also IJN ships were considered to be very well compartmentalised, and their turrets were by most accounts considered to be well flashfire protected.

Now as a counterpoint, the Iowa did not even have hardened frontal turret armour due to the inability of producing Class A armour plating in the required thickness. Instead Class B armour was used, leading to the Iowa having a very vulnerable turret.

Your claim that the Iowa can belt out as many shells as possible is either an outright fabrication or lends itself very poorly to US doctrine. Both sides would fire roughly 1 round a minute as they range their shells, usually with HE. Firing off AP rounds before you can adjust your fire is a surefire way to exhaust your stock before any effect. In addition the Yamato's advantage in range allows it to begin ranging fire sooner then the Iowa in addition to affording itself a superior position. Once bracketing both sides fire at roughly the same rate.

On the one hand, it's easy to make fun of power level discussions between battleships that never fought each other, on the other, it's pretty cool people are earnestly chatting about naval technology in the Second World War and KanColle is a vehicle for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'd be sad to retire Jakob, because his support conversations where he's a dick to everyone have me rolling

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Maybe if he were a cute maid instead of a cute butler I'd think differently. At least I'm not "retiring" him.

So you're retiring him because you can't elope with him then?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

In an ideal world, a cute lady avatar would be able to romance her cute maids.

That seems like a potential abuse of power.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sylphid posted:

I hope there's a lot of Rin x Uzuki stuff in the last episode. Park scene in 22 was the best scene in the show.

confirmed going out in this ep

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Nerds fighting over penetration values and shell diameter instead of fire control systems :cripes:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also i really hate this weird AI cult plotline in The 100, and how it's focusing on my favorite character being converted

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

dogsicle posted:

man, people in the erased thread keep reaching for it to be some weird superpowers thing rather than the protagonist just having his mostly because they're thematic

At least they've temporarily stopped trying to say the red eyes are a supernatural thing instead of just being a cool artistic motif.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

confirmed going out

Don't toy with me, man, when it comes to Rin x Uzuki. Is this, or is this not, a joke?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

That seems like a potential abuse of power.

Jakob's S supports are an abuse

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jostiband posted:

Nerds fighting over penetration values and shell diameter instead of fire control systems :cripes:

Doesn't matter how big your shell is or how well it penetrates if you burn out in half a minute.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

AnoHito posted:

I'm proud of you AnoHito.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Finally got all the units in interested in to the s rank conversation to try them all out and it's a hard choice

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sylphid posted:

Don't toy with me, man, when it comes to Rin x Uzuki. Is this, or is this not, a joke?

i'm actually 100% not joking unless this turns out to be a misunderstanding which it probably will be actually thinking about it

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

dogsicle posted:

also i really hate this weird AI cult plotline in The 100, and how it's focusing on my favorite character being converted

I worship Weird Al in real life.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AnoHito posted:

:frog:

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

i'm actually 100% not joking unless this turns out to be a misunderstanding which it probably will be actually thinking about it

At the very least, it's *acknowledged*, and that's acceptable in a show like Idolm@ster.

If it's not a misunderstanding, hooo boy I can hear the fan artists and doujin writers get working from all the way over here in Iowa.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'd like to dedicate this song to Koba Youka and her rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp8znvfYbow

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Tables remain unbroken!!

:livintrope:

no

no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

UzuRin....

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnoHito posted:

At least they've temporarily stopped trying to say the red eyes are a supernatural thing instead of just being a cool artistic motif.

yeah, reaching for reasons it would be relevant when the source material is a simply-drawn b&w comic was bad. this multiple Revival user stuff bugs me way more though

overall the thread seems bad, but not in a crazy or interesting way :/

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'm going to retire Setsuna after I get her to marry Jakob, because she has like 8 less strength than Kiragi and Takumi has the Fujin

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Sylphid posted:

At the very least, it's *acknowledged*, and that's acceptable in a show like Idolm@ster.

If it's not a misunderstanding, hooo boy I can hear the fan artists and doujin writers get working from all the way over here in Iowa.

it turned out to be a misunderstanding but not in the sense where dooki's affections were refuted or denied

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

Doesn't matter how big your shell is or how well it penetrates if you burn out in half a minute.

Oops. I meant the firing of the main battery, not the not-going-up-in-flames damage control factors.
English is hard :smith:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

I worship Weird Al in real life.

Weird AL would improve the show, so obviously that can't happen

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

I only wanna facetouch girls with rocking abs

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i just realized my Rinkah is only at 21hp at lv9 :whitewater:
so many people are thirsty for this Angelic Robe

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

it turned out to be a misunderstanding but not in the sense where dooki's affections were refuted or denied

That is perfectly okay. I would prefer canon Rin x Uzuki, but sounds like the writers were pretty aware Rin x Uzuki is one of the most popular ships in the whole series and tossed that into the episode.

At the very least, I am glad it was more than confirmed by the writers that the two really, really like each other a whole bunch. I am happy for Uzuki.

One day.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

:yayclod:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jostiband posted:

Oops. I meant the firing of the main battery, not the not-going-up-in-flames damage control factors.

I was making a sex joke.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

w-wait what, the episode is already over? but i'm not done yet...

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

I was making a sex joke.

Jostiband posted:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

What'd the tables ever do to you?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

o-oh my god, i think i'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

chumbler posted:

I was making a sex joke.

And sex has what, exactly, to do with boats? Please, we're seriously discussing munitions here.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Futaba Anzu posted:

w-wait what, the episode is already over? but i'm not done yet...

Then go to danbooru and finish, but for God's sake don't post about it here.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Rinkah and Oboro's s ranks far more adorable than projections showed

Also my phone tried to autocorrect rinkah to rink ab so I guess it knows what's up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

boats are dumb

• Locked thread