Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Apollo marries Trucey guys come on you know this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

juniper will end up with athena

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Aww, I'll miss those final showdowns where the Judge is all: "Okay Wright, point out the one piece of evidence that exposes the supermurderer as being the obviously evil Prime Minister of the United States. But you only get one shot!" [Entire health bar starts flashing]

This hasn't really happened since Trials and Tribulations. Almost all penalties in Apollo Justice and Dual Destinies are one-fifth of the health meter. I think the biggest penalty in either game is half of the meter in the final presentation of Apollo Justice.

That said, I do like the "one chance and it's game over" mechanic from the earlier games at high-tension moments and I wish the series would go back to them. As someone else suggested, you can always save scum your way through if you don't want the risk of being wrong.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Stoat posted:

Apollo marries Trucey guys come on you know this

But that practice is strictly forbidden! And for good reason.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The original japanese releases actually making your save a temporary save sounded awful. I wonder how many people had to redo the entire case just because they wanted to see the funny dialogue.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/19/ace-attorney-6-hands-phoenix-wright-spirit-medium-vision/

So Gaspen Payne was such a poo poo he fled the country so he could be a prosecutor in a land that has no lawyers.That's pretty fitting for the fucker. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/takumi_gt/status/700674776872800256

Voice recording on the anime has begun!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

TheKingofSprings posted:

juniper will end up with the trash heap

You do have a point. She and Klavier did perform on stage together, so there's already groundwork for it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

So this is the first time I've played Investigations in six years, and I dunno. It's not a terrible game, but something about it feels very off. Is it the translation being stiff?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also Cammy Meele is the worst

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Zaa Boogie posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/19/ace-attorney-6-hands-phoenix-wright-spirit-medium-vision/

So Gaspen Payne was such a poo poo he fled the country so he could be a prosecutor in a land that has no lawyers.That's pretty fitting for the fucker. :v:

lol

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

voltcatfish posted:

Is it the translation being stiff?

Yeah people have mentioned one of Investigation's weak points being its awkward translation.

voltcatfish posted:

Also Cammy Meele is the worst

Nope

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've been playing Aviary Attorney. It's a neat little game, but it has a couple of weak points. The biggest one is the lack of real animation. Even at their most limited, the animations in Ace Attorney games were their strongest suit. This game mostly limits animation to bobbing up and down when walking and mouth movements, with a few stiff exceptions. While the historical art lends great character to the various NPCs, it really could use some Everdraeding to give it a bit of life.

The other weak point is that the game doesn't make the best use of its limited time and money system. The idea is that you have to manage these resources to get all the evidence before the trial starts, or you'll go in with a less than optimal arsenal. But in practice, reaching the last day with not enough evidence simply makes you want to start over and follow the correct sequence of events. The game doesn't really let you know that going to a specific place too early (or at all) will be a waste of time before you go and do it, so it feels a bit like a choose your own adventure book, where simply guessing right on the first go is the only way to win without backtracking.

It's a shame, because if that aspect had been better implemented, it could've made the game feel more organic than the treadmill that AA game's investigations sometimes feels like.

Overall I still really like it, the historical backdrop and the humor are spot-on.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Yeah people have mentioned one of Investigation's weak points being its awkward translation.

Yeah, it's really obvious if you pay attention to how Gumshoe talks. Other than occasionally dropping a "pal", he sounds nothing like he used to.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Zaa Boogie posted:

Even after playing DD multiple times, the funniest moment to me is still when the camera cuts to his empty stand during the post-trial celebration.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Zaa Boogie posted:

Even after playing DD multiple times, the funniest moment to me is still when the camera cuts to his empty stand during the post-trial celebration.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You know, if there's the possibility that they'll be exploring dangling plot threads from AJ...

I'd love it if Spark Brushel, now a freelance web columnist for Buzzbait, came back as a witness for at least one case.

"This Young Urban Attorney Presented That Piece of Evidence. But What He Said Next Will SHOCK MEEEEEEE!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

You know, if there's the possibility that they'll be exploring dangling plot threads from AJ...

I'd love it if Spark Brushel, now a freelance web columnist for Buzzbait, came back as a witness for at least one case.

"This Young Urban Attorney Presented That Piece of Evidence. But What He Said Next Will SHOCK MEEEEEEE!"

"Defendants hate him! Local witness gives one weird testimony to ensure a guilty verdict!"

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
From Court Records:

quote:

Ace Attorney doesn't often get announcements of announcements, but here we are: Capcom has announced a special live broadcast for AA6 on March 6th in collaboration with Ameba Fresh!

The broadcast will reveal the game's release date, as well as promises "that" unannounced character will be shown off.

Hosting are two of Capcom TV's MCs, as well as special guest Rio Uchida. The broadcast will begin at 13:00 JST on March 6th and run for two hours; you can view the channel here. It goes without saying that we'll be covering the broadcast live on Twitter and have a summary news post after the fact!

Place your bets on how Maya will look this many years later.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

O L D B A G T I M E

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I'm hype for Max Galactica.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I can't wait to re-meet my best friend, Sebastian Debeste.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
"That" character is totally the Butz.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I always did love Moe the clown.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I've been looking forward to seeing iris again all this time

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Need a heart to heart with Charley I agree.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

I've been looking forward to seeing iris again all this time

Me too :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Get hyped for Cody Hackins.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Sal Manella's back, and this time he's all about the memes.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Regalingualius posted:

The only way I want to see Spark Brushel come back is if he's the victim of a case.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Ometeotl posted:

The only way I want to see Spark Brushel come back is if he's the victim of a case.

Goon posts correct opinion. End quote.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ometeotl posted:

What was wrong with him?

Serious question. I thought he was entertainingly annoying.

E: In that he annoyed the characters and entertained me.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 27, 2016

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

He's the Jar Jar Binks of the AA world.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Amppelix posted:

What was wrong with him?

I just don't like his design, it weirds me out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Amppelix posted:

What was wrong with him?

His face is disgusting and you had to look at his armpit sweat at one point. I never wanna see that guy again.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
maya is never coming back

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Opposing Farce posted:

maya is never coming back

*Aiden Pierce voice* Maya's never coming back.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Just started the trial in 5 of DD... this is crazy, it's like 3 trials nested like Russian dolls right now. And my old pal showed up! And Pearls! I haven't really gotten into AA since I beat 3 when it came out on DS in college (feels like a decade ago). Don't remember 4, but this is some good lawyering. Excited for the DLC case too, heard it was great.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
The pachinko machine is a treasure:

http://i.imgur.com/UyRG1GS.webm

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

The pachinko machine is a treasure:

http://i.imgur.com/UyRG1GS.webm

At the end of the day this is really all I want out of the anime

Adbot