Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well, those who were waiting for Trevor to ask the tough questions, there you go.

The man's enough of a true believer that it doesn't matter, but still, good effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.

Majorian posted:

Dear micropenis havers: stop ruining everyone's fun.

Also I don't think Trevor needed to do the whole "no bodyshaming" thing, that was dumb.

It was weird. I actually disagree with you in that I think people should not be shamed for their bodies. But I thought he sort of weirdly hedged his bet so he neither went full dick joke nor full serious mode and it kind of ruined both.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Literally all these panelists are human pond scum.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I could not watch any of that after the first minute. Human beings with no loving empathy. My God.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pillow Hat posted:

It was weird. I actually disagree with you in that I think people should not be shamed for their bodies.

Nah, we're actually in agreement there - I imagine having a micropenis is probably not fun and we shouldn't make fun of people for it. I just think it's fun to imagine Hitler's life being worse than we realized it was.;)

Maxwell Lord posted:

Literally all these panelists are human pond scum.

Yeah, if we're talking Nightly Show, this is where I draw the line. Just tweeted at the show and told them i'm done watching it. I'm really, really tired of people responding to millennials saying, "Hey, if I'm working an entry-level job in the tech world, I don't expect to be rich but I should at least be able to subsist off of it!" with "Oh, your generation is SO entitled.:smug:" gently caress that. gently caress you, Baby Boomers and Gen-Xers. We graduated into the lovely job market caused by the financial crisis that your stupid asses created. We know that San Francisco's an expensive city - I grew up a half-hour away from it, and I've seen it grow more expensive. It doesn't mean that Yelp and other companies shouldn't pay their employees enough money to survive.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

It's fascinating to see people constantly complaining about "millenials" because they are people that have become copies of their parents and don't yet realize how dead inside they've become.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I could not watch any of that after the first minute. Human beings with no loving empathy. My God.

The Nightly Show is never worth watching beyond the first segment. It's a rare occasion where it's even worth watching that long.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

Looks like there's a Jon Stewart hit piece going around blaming The Daily Show for the rise of Donald Trump. Because that's the reason Trump's doing so well. I'm won't bother linking to it, because you can probably guess how it plays out.

Oh bloggers. Never change. :allears:

loving SJW millennials!

Oh wait, that's me. I'm voting Bernie or Hillary. Huh???

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Majorian posted:

Nah, we're actually in agreement there - I imagine having a micropenis is probably not fun and we shouldn't make fun of people for it. I just think it's fun to imagine Hitler's life being worse than we realized it was.;)

Fair enough.

But yeah to expand on what I was saying, I thought it was kinda weird that Noah talked about not making fun of fat people and then did it in the same breath. Honestly I used to make a lot of jokes at the expense of fat people, but I've grown out of it and I really don't think it's okay. I mean in 2011-2012, the CDC reported that 69% of people over age 20 were overweight or obese. I don't know if that makes the jokes better or worse, but either way it's a public health crisis and should be treated with a bit more gravity in my opinion.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Yeah, tonally it was weird. I like Noah, and I think he's doing a good job in his first year, especially since Elliott Kalan stepped down as head writer. But there are a few rough edges, and that was a particularly rough one.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pillow Hat posted:

either way it's a public health crisis and should be treated with a bit more gravity in my opinion.

...:colbert:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Please try and be the bigger person.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

FrensaGeran posted:

I don't see why he'd let it weigh him down like that.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Jordan Carlos did try to point out that things were objectively worse than they were when the guest panelist entered the job market. But it didn't make the panel less agonizing.

They should just anticipate when the guest comedian is going to take a bootstraps or PC Police angle and have Franchesca Ramsey on the panel to call them out.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Majorian posted:

I don't see why he'd let it weigh him down like that.

FrensaGeran posted:

I hate you both and it's not because of fat jokes. It's because of dad jokes.

I don't really hate you.

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well, those who were waiting for Trevor to ask the tough questions, there you go.

The man's enough of a true believer that it doesn't matter, but still, good effort.

Assuming you're referring to the Michael Hayden interview, I agree.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

That was a fantastic interview. Yeah, some of Trevor's interviews have been awkward. That was great, I'm absolutely looking forward to more. Viva la Daily Show!

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

MrPablo posted:

Assuming you're referring to the Michael Hayden interview, I agree.
I'm still catching up this week. I usually skip the interviews, but I'm glad I stuck around for that Anthony Mackie interview. cAAAAAAAAAAst

edit: ah gently caress I wish that extended interview with Hayden was already up in Canada :mad:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 27, 2016

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
i know jon wanted to like 'gift' trevor this election cycle cause the daily show really blew up when bush was running for office and this could be a similar thing for trevor but so far it's been pretty much entirely wasted

this is maybe the craziest election year ever and jon would've destroyed and trevor is like meh, the correspondents aren't really on the right level yet either. it would've been great for jon to go out with a bang with one last crazy cycle instead of just fizzling out and wasting this goldmine on some newbies that wont have found their footing til it's already over.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
basically jon left at the exact wrong time. a year earlier and trevor would be good by the time the cycle starts, a year later and he wouldve had a great finale. he went right in the middle so there's no finale and trevor wastes this golden election cycle while he's learning the ropes.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Slogging through another week of TDS. I really want to like it, but drat this is weak. If Last Week Tonight was on four nights a week I'd jump ship and never look back.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

BGrifter posted:

Slogging through another week of TDS. I really want to like it, but drat this is weak. If Last Week Tonight was on four nights a week I'd jump ship and never look back.

Samantha Bee has also been doing a bang-up job with Full Frontal, in my opinion. If Comedy Central didn't at least offer her the gig, they hosed up really huge.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine a lot of them were offered but turned it down because it would be a bad career move to go into Stewart's shadow, never quite being able to ever live up to his legacy and always stressed from being compared, all while still having to do the same jokes and shill whatever company paid to get their product mentioned on the show that day.

Instead they can get their own fresh show with lower expectations and some slightly new jokes with different writers.

John was the only one who could replace Jon, but he is far better off on his own show.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 28, 2016

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah I thought John Oliver was better than Stewart during his run as host while Jon was filming his movie. Last Week Tonight is probably my favourite thing on TV.

I should check out Full Frontal. The clips I've seen have been really good.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Last Week Tonight hardly covers the 2016 election, though. I admire Oliver's journalistic focus, but I miss the day-to-day riffing on the campaigns.

Or hell, I'd love to see someone delve into how completely hosed the caucus systems are.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

Slogging through another week of TDS.

New thread title please.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

I want to ask again for anyone who might answer: If you all hate Trevor and the new show so much, why do you keep watching and posting in this thread? There are those of us who still enjoy it. Can't you just leave the thread so we can discuss the actual content?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Pillow Hat posted:

I want to ask again for anyone who might answer: If you all hate Trevor and the new show so much, why do you keep watching and posting in this thread? There are those of us who still enjoy it. Can't you just leave the thread so we can discuss the actual content?

Welcome to TVIV, where people watch shows they hate for years just so they can continue to let people know what they think about them.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm threadwatching to see if the show improves, or if there's any parts worth checking out. Peeps mentioned a Jessica Williams segment they liked, for example.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I watched the last two Nightly Shows and jesus christ, it's not even the awkward delivery anymore, a bunch of stuff is just plain old wrong. The talk about Apple and the "back door" in particular. And then that Rosa Parks award jingle they keep repeating only for Larry to be pretend-annoyed or surprised by it...
Am I the only one that's surprised they're even deciding to keep bringing that back?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pillow Hat posted:

i don't watch the show, i don't post about not watching the show, but please don't pull this metamodding bullshit that reads as "i just want a hugbox"

rjryan3
Oct 10, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

i don't watch the show, i don't post about not watching the show, but please don't pull this metamodding bullshit that reads as "i just want a hugbox"

Eh, when you two back-to-back instances of people hyperventilating about how the show has gone downhill and that the new host "is jst teh wrst" after showing a massive misreading on one of the jokes, and a racist troll making GBS threads up the thread, can you really blame someone for getting sick of people complaining.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Toxxupation posted:

Didn't say I wanted a hugbox, I just want people who hate the show to stop watching and leave so the rest of us don't have to sift through all the posts about how the show is lovely. If I wanted to hear people talk about how much Trevor Noah is an incompetent piece of trash I'd go to the subreddit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Watch Full Frontal, it's really good tonight.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its been a glorious train run on Trump by John Oliver, Samantha Bee, and Trever Noah, and I expect Colbert to trash him 5 minutes from now.

Daily show continues to be average. I liked the rubio/trump (aka drumph) burn battle editing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VagueRant posted:

I'm threadwatching to see if the show improves, or if there's any parts worth checking out. Peeps mentioned a Jessica Williams segment they liked, for example.

It's good. It's not where Jon Stewart was at his height, but it's also Trevor Noah's first season (seriously, how many times do people keep having to be reminded of this?!), and by the way, Elliott Kalan, the longtime head writer, also left the show with Stewart. So everybody who's saying it's bad needs to stop being whiny babies, because it's still a good show, and it's finding its stride. I can understand wanting to sit it out until it clicks fully into gear, but I'm enjoying it for what it is, and anyone who's screeching about it being bad needs to watch some of Stewart's first season. He didn't exactly start off at the top of his game either.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 1, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This plantation bit tonight was good.

Mike Yard is good.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Majorian posted:

It's not where Jon Stewart was at his height, but it's also Trevor Noah's first season ... and anyone who's screeching about it being bad needs to watch some of Stewart's first season. He didn't exactly start off at the top of his game either.

I do think there's potential for the show to get a lot better. And yes, Stewart took years to build TDS into what we remember him for. That said, Bee is also in her first season as a host. Oliver's first season was just last year. And so far, Noah's TDS doesn't measure up to either.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

rujasu posted:

I do think there's potential for the show to get a lot better. And yes, Stewart took years to build TDS into what we remember him for. That said, Bee is also in her first season as a host. Oliver's first season was just last year. And so far, Noah's TDS doesn't measure up to either.

Bee and Oliver have also been doing comedy in the U.S. for years, and are in their 40's. Noah's younger than me, which seems like an impossibility to me, because there's no way I could possibly be old!:ironicat: But the point is, give Noah a break. He's got a lot working against him, and the fact that he's doing as well as he is shows how much potential he has.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Mike Yard is good.

If I really, really dislike Mike Yard for his bullshit "entitled Millennials!" opinions on Thursday, will I still be able to enjoy it? This is a serious question.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Majorian posted:

Bee and Oliver have also been doing comedy in the U.S. for years, and are in their 40's. Noah's younger than me, which seems like an impossibility to me, because there's no way I could possibly be old!:ironicat: But the point is, give Noah a break. He's got a lot working against him, and the fact that he's doing as well as he is shows how much potential he has.

Sure, and as I said, he and the show have plenty of potential.

I really think Noah would have been better served with another year or two as a correspondent. He really could have shined in that role and then been in a better position to become a host. He was rushed into the host's seat by necessity. Obviously, that's not his fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Has The Nightly Show stopped doing their really awful "Face against a green screen" bits?

• Locked thread