Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

I've been doing Celestra -> Ulthuan > Dragonof Nightshade followed by Ulthuan and White Scar highlights, it just comes off "bleh" not only on the helm but on the crosses if it's just a matter of more layers then that is what I will do, but when I look at the guys in the codex they have that white down perfect.

Maybe use a small dry brush with Paraxi White on those portions?

Was grey the right choice for the shield emblem? Seems a bit bland...

A lot of that is continuous thinning of paints and multiple layers. Liquitex flow aid and/or a retarder medium to keep the paint from drying out can help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
All very nice but WHAT on earth is going on with that Tyranid head color scheme on the base??

u want to fight m8??

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
http://warhammer.musterbrand.com/

So I actually kinda sorta love the Death Company jacket

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like that it's taken GW this long to learn the value of merchandising. I can't wait to see the kind of insufferable nerd that wears that commissar coat.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
It would be the guy I went to college with who'd wear a Soviet uniform to class and also had a ponytail and goatee. Alternately it'd be good for cosplay stuff I guess.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

SRM posted:

It would be the guy I went to college with who'd wear a Soviet uniform to class and also had a ponytail and goatee. Alternately it'd be good for cosplay stuff I guess.

Woah, you went to Lake Washington Technical College?

Wait, that guy didn't actually go to any classes, he just hung out in the cafeteria and played D&D.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

SRM posted:

Alternately it'd be good for cosplay stuff I guess.

It would be an amazing start to a Yarrick costume that I didn't even know I needed until just now.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.

Kilo147 posted:

Woah, you went to Lake Washington Technical College?

Wait, that guy didn't actually go to any classes, he just hung out in the cafeteria and played D&D.

Bad news, that dude was literally everywhere.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

http://warhammer.musterbrand.com/

So I actually kinda sorta love the Death Company jacket

Finally. Now I can get Panascope and Hixson the fashionable clothing they deserve

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

stabbington posted:

Bad news, that dude was literally everywhere.
I think he's the leveled up version of the trenchcoat kid from high school.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
+ 1 AC
- 5 Charisma

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

I want to see a dude rocking a ponytail, goatee, fake 40k commissar coat, and a utilikilt all at once. Maybe throw in some Doc Martens to complete the look.

They would also need to be grossly obese or rail thin. Nothing in between.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Safety Factor posted:

I want to see a dude rocking a ponytail, goatee, fake 40k commissar coat, and a utilikilt all at once. Maybe throw in some Doc Martens to complete the look.

They would also need to be grossly obese or rail thin. Nothing in between.

Go to one convention. You'll see him.

(it will be me)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Sex Cannon posted:

Go to one convention. You'll see him.

(it will be me)
Which one?

I actually went to PAX South recently and was surprised to only see seven utilikilts over three days. One of them was worn by a dude running a station with ten Steel Battalion set-ups though. He's probably worth extra points. I also saw five or six regular kilts, but those don't count in the same way. I've seen more utilikilts at a one-day beerfest in Madison, Wisconsin, but I was trashed so I don't remember the exact count. Step up your game, PAX South.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
White people.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only white people. Wearing utilikilts. Salamanders don't count and the White Scars are "one of the good ones."

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Should I ever get around to Cosplaying, Yarrick is my first choice. Seems doable without devoting years of my life to a suit of power armor and requires less than grand master artificer level art skill to decorate.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I can't help but to think the commissariat coat looks good. Nothing I'd really spend money on because it'll be expensive as all hell but still cool.
The hoodies though are dire and lame and I just voted on the necron one because you had to and it wasn't Tau.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Anybody who wears any of that stuff should be put to death.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

That trench coat looks to be of the quality of a Halloween costume but will likely cost as much as an actual trench coat.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
I actually like the Commissar coat only because I like coats like that. I would never buy or wear one, but I like the look of it.

The Death Company Motorcycle Club is pretty cool as well, but that Necron Hoodie is really uninspiring.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Where's my Eldar dress? gently caress gw

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
One of our players sent me that link last night, the best one is the commissar coat but if you just get an actual army surplus coat from WW2 it's probably cheaper. Also my Eldar will be Mymeara, not Biel-Tan so I can get a light blue hoodie for £10 and airbrush dark & medium blue triangles on it, bit of light green gradient and boom, instant custom hoodie. If I were just slightly more nerdy about my 40K I might do that.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I'd really like that BA jacket, but it's got no chance up against the Commisar coat. Just watch as it wins and a million piss-smelling neckbeards start wearing them rain or shine.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SteelMentor posted:

a million piss-smelling neckbeards

i love it when you talk dirty to me

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

I just want to say again that your Dimachaeron is infinitely superior to the actual model. The pose is so much better and it's so much less busy/terrible. Great, great job.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

jadebullet posted:

The Death Company Motorcycle Club is pretty cool as well, but that Necron Hoodie is really uninspiring.

God, now I'm picturing some poor 40k fan running afoul of an actual MC named Death's Company or something.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Looking forward to the gigantic surge in commissar cosplayers.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, and boy these people are gonna be disappointed by the quality, and will disappoint us all by still wearing them.

quote:

Hell I could wear that Commisar coat to work. If it's not ludicrously expensive (lol who am I kidding this is GW we're talking about) I'll probably nab it.

quote:

Oh, I do like that Commisar's coat. I mean, greatcoats are part of my everyday dress, and that is a pretty one.

quote:

Ho Please, for God sake, stop with the Nazi Thing. WW2 have end in 1944, 72 years ago...time to turn the page...stop living in the past. Furthermore, nowdays, lot of people "secretly" love the Nazi stuff but it doesn't mean that they know what it the Nazi ideology nor adhere it. (The limit is of course to wear the Black Svastika on white/red background...)

So, personnally, even if i'm more on Blood Angels side, i must admit that the Commissar Coat is very cool, and while it may be hard to wear it openly in public due to some close/low minded people, it is still of a great effect.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 26, 2016

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Cross postin'

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Finally finished this guy, I think the base took as long as the model...

Was a lot of fun to do, got to try some stuff I hadn't done before.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Looks great!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Phyresis posted:

White people.

Phyresis posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only white people. Wearing utilikilts. Salamanders don't count and the White Scars are "one of the good ones."
Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfUlhqLdScY

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

Looking forward to the gigantic surge in commissar cosplayers.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment, and boy these people are gonna be disappointed by the quality, and will disappoint us all by still wearing them.
The quality of stuff from that company is apparently pretty drat good, but super pricey compared to typical licensed merch. Like that greatcoat is probably gonna cost over $500.

I feel like some of the highlights could use cleaning up. I like it though, and the basing is especially really nice.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

First off, fantastic base, nice gun coloring to show the heat discoloration, and going the extra mile to put burn marks on the engine exhaust that I was frankly to lazy to do.

One criticism, maybe go a little less paint on your brush for your edging, it looks a tad excessive.

Also, I like the idea of tucking the company symbol into the Ultima.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Watching you paint your ultras is great. You're really throwing yourself back into it and embracing the :justpost: method.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Thanks guys. Yeah I know the highlights aren't perfect, I (stupidly) decided to drybrush it which didn't work at all, just made a mess, and so even with much touching up of the maccragge it's not as neat as if I had just edge highlighted like I should have. Oh well!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Warpath 'Firefight' Beta rules are up for free download right now: http://www.manticdigital.com/product/warpath-firefight-playtest-rules/

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Thanks guys. Yeah I know the highlights aren't perfect, I (stupidly) decided to drybrush it which didn't work at all, just made a mess, and so even with much touching up of the maccragge it's not as neat as if I had just edge highlighted like I should have. Oh well!

Don't dismiss dry brushing just yet, you just need way less painting on your brush. Working my Stormraven right now I'll post some pics within the next 24 to show before and after base.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Drybrushing is great for certain things, but yeah, on Space Marine vehicles I'd just save it for weathering. They really benefit from hard edge highlights. But hey, you're getting better and learning from your mistakes, and honestly it doesn't look bad as-is. Keep it up with those purdy Ultras.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

SRM posted:

Drybrushing is great for certain things, but yeah, on Space Marine vehicles I'd just save it for weathering. They really benefit from hard edge highlights. But hey, you're getting better and learning from your mistakes, and honestly it doesn't look bad as-is. Keep it up with those purdy Ultras.

Thanks man :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

People are mentioning drybrushing, and edge highlights...

But no-ones said the heat-effect on the guns look Really good !

• Locked thread