Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

That Gobbo posted:

I'm glad I picked up that 3 AMS Kit Fox.

If we only got points for shooting down LRM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Raged posted:

If we only got points for shooting down LRM.

God that would be great and go a long way to fixing the LRM issue. Do that and everyone would have a reason to fit an AMS, which would make LRM spam much less effective.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Cyrano4747 posted:

God that would be great and go a long way to fixing the LRM issue. Do that and everyone would have a reason to fit an AMS, which would make LRM spam much less effective.

I'm not sure LRM spam needs to be any more ineffective than it already is.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Banano posted:

is 6 tons of ams ammo too much?

Way too much. That stupid triple AMS Nova I'm running has three tons of ammo, and I've only almost run out of ammo once so far, and it has 60%30% AMS Rate of Fire bonus.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 26, 2016

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Astroniomix posted:

I'm not sure LRM spam needs to be any more ineffective than it already is.

It's only ineffective if the pilot is bad. Sit all the way in the back shooting? You are useless. Running around with TAG and some other weapons and shooting at mid range and you are putting out a lot of damage. As a joke I put 5 mpl and 2 LRM 15 on a marauder and ran with a group. It actually worked well. There are better builds, but it was so much better than sitting in the back.

Would be just horrible if people spammed Russ's Town Hall with comments about the ban wave.

Raged fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 26, 2016

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Raged posted:

Would be just horrible if people spammed Russ's Town Hall with comments about the ban wave.
This is a really great idea and we should all try to get into the town hall tomorrow and do this.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Raged posted:

It's only ineffective if the pilot is bad. Sit all the way in the back shooting? You are useless. Running around with TAG and some other weapons and shooting at mid range and you are putting out a lot of damage. As a joke I put 5 mpl and 2 LRM 15 on a marauder and ran with a group. It actually worked well. There are better builds, but it was so much better than sitting in the back.

The issue is there is nothing LRMs do that a large laser doesn't do better.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Astroniomix posted:

Screen shake.

I mean, I'm not advocating LRMs, but large lasers just aren't as disruptive as LRMs.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Astroniomix posted:

True but using the same weapons over and over again on every mech is boring. I know some people here stroke out if the most optimised meta build isn't used. I do quite well in most matches but I also have fun builds to play with too. Not stupid builds though..... gently caress those people

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Astroniomix posted:

Indirect fire and forcing folks into specific cover or to close range. Those are pretty useful tools. Not as good as pure damage on target, but there's more than enough if that coming from the other 11 'mechs. Hopefully.

I get a real kick out of goons complaining simultaneously about lrms being awful weapons when they use them and super over powered hell raining down on them when the enemy does. You're right though that when it's your pubs using them they're almost universally useless (b/c goons refuse to support lrms and self handicap)

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Raged posted:

True but using the same weapons over and over again on every mech is boring. I know some people here stroke out if the most optimised meta build isn't used. I do quite well in most matches but I also have fun builds to play with too. Not stupid builds though..... gently caress those people

What are some fun builds you have? I feel like I'm at a point with MWO where I've used a build with mostly every type of weapon and most of them feel boring. Only thing I'd like to try now is the Mauler since you can shove tons of weapons onto it.

JacksAngryBiome
Oct 23, 2014
The lrm hunchback build a kind goon posted here is great. It makes for relaxed solo pubbing and does great at medium ranges.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

JacksAngryBiome posted:

The lrm hunchback build a kind goon posted here is great. It makes for relaxed solo pubbing and does great at medium ranges.

The -4J is about as good as an LRM 'mech gets because its fire rate quirks make up for the weaknesses of the weapon. It's also fast, has a high energy mount so it can TAG targets from relative safety, and it only takes up 50 tons so it's not like you're dropping in a lurm Atlas right

heck even its energy quirks are p. good so you can defend yourself

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Random Number posted:

Indirect fire and forcing folks into specific cover or to close range. Those are pretty useful tools. Not as good as pure damage on target, but there's more than enough if that coming from the other 11 'mechs. Hopefully.

I get a real kick out of goons complaining simultaneously about lrms being awful weapons when they use them and super over powered hell raining down on them when the enemy does. You're right though that when it's your pubs using them they're almost universally useless (b/c goons refuse to support lrms and self handicap)

Where has anyone been complaining about LRMs being overpowered?

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Astroniomix posted:

The dude who runs metamechs seems to have a serious beef with them, like in the Mauler mastery article.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Sard posted:

The dude who runs metamechs seems to have a serious beef with them, like in the Mauler mastery article.

he doesn't think they're overpowered, he just thinks they're dumb, especially on something like a Mauler which is better off loaded with autocannons

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Sard posted:

Poor word choice on my part but I meant where are "goons" complaining about LRMs being overpowered.

Also the hunchback is one of the few mechs I would actually run LRMs on.

My point remains however, that LRMs don't need to be made weaker.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Actually I did see two LRM Jenner-IICs wreck face recently. There's an argument there for them in bigger maps

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/223093-ban-wave-tomorrow/

quote:

An Obvious cheater posted

If it's anything like last time they will do an amnesty program. Hopefully they will again. As much as you hate cheaters I understand people make mistakes. I am guessing you would even get a few people who were not even on the ban list to just stop doing this too.

They can pretty much ban that poster and anyone who likes the post and save some time.

Raged fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 26, 2016

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

That program that optimizes or sets your firing rate and orders, do you just say 7ms and that will be the delay for every shot or can you stagger and syncopate it to customize your hail of ac/2s?

I want to know if I can get an autofire program and slap it on an all ac2 mech and have every time I pull the trigger and rattle someone's cockpit they reverberate to darude sandstorm. I would toss in one medium laser for that occasional high note.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Astroniomix posted:

Have you ever played a match with goons against a lrm heavy team? The bitching and feeling of helplessness is palpable. It's not an explicit thing I'll grant, but references to lrmageddons clearly show that some goons think the platform is broken onr an overpowered manner.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd bet that some goons think all sorts of things.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

The Saddest Robot posted:

Yeah, there will be no avoiding the LRMageddon. We are going to have to embrace the insanity.

Get your triple AMS Nova's ahead of schedule, then. Kit foxes can do it as well, while carrying ECM for your friends, but then you're driving a kit fox.

Are there any double ams mechs that are worth using on their own merits?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

TheParadigm posted:

Get your triple AMS Nova's ahead of schedule, then. Kit foxes can do it as well, while carrying ECM for your friends, but then you're driving a kit fox.

There is a Stalker that can use 2, quite a few mechs can mount 2 AMS actually.

Random Number posted:

Have you ever played a match with goons against a lrm heavy team? The bitching and feeling of helplessness is palpable. It's not an explicit thing I'll grant, but references to lrmageddons clearly show that some goons think the platform is broken onr an overpowered manner.

Whenever I play against an LRM heavy team we either circle around behind and pick them off or goon rush and stomp them. Teams using LRMs are putting themselves at a huge disadvantage in the brawl by using LRMs. I'd say most goons get mad at the pubbies who decide to cower behind a rock worrying about getting their paint scratched rather than be complaining that the LRMs were overpowered, if anything we all hate them because they are literally terrible by every metric, promote a camping playstyle, and make your team weaker just by mounting them. Especially when idiots put them on assaults, which pubbies love to do.

Washout fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 26, 2016

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Or you could just duck behind a wall, take advantage of ECM, use the radar deprevation module.

My favorite is when someone gets NARCED and just sits safely in cover as an endless stream of missiles does nothing.

On another note, the 2 Flamer/2 small pules/2 SRM4 Arctic Cheetah is pretty hot.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Washout posted:

There is a Stalker that can use 2, quite a few mechs can mount 2 AMS actually.

Whenever I play against an LRM heavy team we either circle around behind and pick them off or goon rush and stomp them. Teams using LRMs are putting themselves at a huge disadvantage in the brawl by using LRMs. I'd say most goons get mad at the pubbies who decide to cower behind a rock worrying about getting their paint scratched rather than be complaining that the LRMs were overpowered, if anything we all hate them because they are literally terrible by every metric, promote a camping playstyle, and make your team weaker just by mounting them. Especially when idiots put them on assaults, which pubbies love to do.

I have literally witnessed you rage quit because your direwolf got focused down by lrms.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Random Number posted:

I have literally witnessed you rage quit because your direwolf got focused down by lrms.

It probably took a full 2 minutes of constant bombardment from about 5-6 enemy mechs to go down.

If anything I'd wager his quitting had more to do with watching you guys try to poke at the LRM mechs with SRMs and AC/20s; goons have a bad habit of that.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Random Number posted:

I always rage quit after playing dire wolves, getting killed by the LRMS was totally secondary.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I bought the Archer pack but I was only planning on using large pulses and SRMs.

gently caress LRMs. Seriously. That won't stop the pubbies using them in their special snowflake builds of course.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

TheParadigm posted:

There is a laser vomit Grasshopper you can shove dual ams on.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

DancingShade posted:

I bought the Archer pack but I was only planning on using large pulses and SRMs.

gently caress LRMs. Seriously. That won't stop the pubbies using them in their special snowflake builds of course.

Me and a few other goons plan on playing several triple AMS Novas on the same team when the Archer is released.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So LRMs are both useless and at the same time overpowered.
Also AMS counters LRMs so theyre useless, but you should never ever take AMS cause its useless.

Im stil lhaving good success on my 2x3xLRM5 MadDog, the reload is baller.
Especially when the team is blobbing up and you cant direct fire anywhere that is NOT the backside of a friendly.
But ill never again field LRMs higher than 10 again, ive learned that.

Still i think i will at one point try an archer with 9xLRM5 and chainfire.
I will call him either "Nebelwerfer" or "Stuka zu Fuss", havent decided yet.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Yolomon Wayne posted:

So LRMs are both useless and at the same time overpowered.
Also AMS counters LRMs so theyre useless, but you should never ever take AMS cause its useless.

Im stil lhaving good success on my 2x3xLRM5 MadDog, the reload is baller.
Especially when the team is blobbing up and you cant direct fire anywhere that is NOT the backside of a friendly.
But ill never again field LRMs higher than 10 again, ive learned that.

Still i think i will at one point try an archer with 9xLRM5 and chainfire.
I will call him either "Nebelwerfer" or "Stuka zu Fuss", havent decided yet.

You bring shame to your family

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Raged posted:

You bring shame to your family

I regard you guys as my family, and tehres no shame i could bring that wasnt done already.
Ha!

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

I always rage quit after playing dire wolves, getting killed by the LRMS was totally secondary.

Is blaming goons when you lose tertiary? That's always been a common thing with you too.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Skoll posted:

Is blaming goons when you lose tertiary? That's always been a common thing with you too.

:what: I just say, taking a break guys, and alt-F4. You read too much into it. A lot of goons use poo poo builds and do make the team lose tho. I play with other units and they win way more when in larger groups. My thing is I like small 4 mans with max tonnage to exploit the fact you can get 5-6 assaults on your team.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

:what: I just say, taking a break guys, and alt-F4. You read too much into it. A lot of goons use poo poo builds and do make the team lose tho. I play with other units and they win way more when in larger groups. My thing is I like small 4 mans with max tonnage to exploit the fact you can get 5-6 assaults on your team.

I play lots of CW and the most common thing i see is 9 guys with the same clan tag.
So, are they dropping in groups of 3 to optimize loadout somehow?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I play lots of CW and the most common thing i see is 9 guys with the same clan tag.
CW doesn't have group tonnage limits, instead it has individual dropdeck limits.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yolomon Wayne posted:

If your in a group doing CW and you decide to drop out and play some pub games or it's cease fire, everyone will still continue to drop in heavies with max skills and 20m worth of modules on all of them. A full team of 8 heavies with optimized load outs and max skills has a hard time losing in pub games. Contrast that with a pile of random mechs that are mostly unskilled in a large goon group and you can see why we often have large losing streaks. A 4 man group with max tonnage is immune to that though, your team will then often end up with 5-6 assaults because you are bringing 3 and the pubs always bring at least two more, then the tonnage just leads into a stomp because you have so much more armor across the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
See there is this thing called FUN. You can have fun with something called FRIENDS. Most of the time shooting the poo poo and doing stupid things and laughing about it is fun. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose but as long as you have fun it doesn't really matter. People who sit and whine and bitch the whole match are not fun and should find like minded spergs who get angry about video games.

So in closing if you don't want to play with goons who are having fun then don't. I can say from experience that when you quit out on a team people are happy because you are not constantly complaining anymore.

Raged fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 26, 2016

• Locked thread