Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Peter Gabriel I is pretty tight, aight ezrin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I just find it funny when this dude comes out and pretty much says Kanye isn't doing anything interesting when Kanye debuts his album at Madison Square Garden all while showing off his high fashion line and video game about his dead mom flying to heaven. Kanye is literally the only musician right now who is trying to push his art further and further.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

The_Rob posted:

Kanye is literally the only musician right now who is trying to push his art further and further.

sometimes this thread is very silly and I wouldn't have it any other way

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Who cares how prominent this guy is. Keith Richards has terrible opinions about music too. Kanye probably shouldn't even reply to poo poo like this, but, y'know, that's Kanye's Achilles Heel, the constant insecurity.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

abraham linksys posted:

sometimes this thread is very silly and I wouldn't have it any other way

Who else with kanye's notoriety is doing what he does?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
who cares what anyone who isn't woke AF thinks, kanye is goat

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

The_Rob posted:

I just find it funny when this dude comes out and pretty much says Kanye isn't doing anything interesting when Kanye debuts his album at Madison Square Garden all while showing off his high fashion line and video game about his dead mom flying to heaven. Kanye is literally the only musician right now who is trying to push his art further and further.

:ughh:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Probably Magic posted:

Who cares how prominent this guy is. Keith Richards has terrible opinions about music too. Kanye probably shouldn't even reply to poo poo like this, but, y'know, that's Kanye's Achilles Heel, the constant insecurity.

Great point, and Richards quotes were just as bad. Hopefully this is the last time he ever speaks of Kanye (he it should be).

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

nate fisher posted:

But bragging about not knowing 'facts' does show something? I guess I started this because I said Bob was the first producer I ever knew by name (when I purchased The Wall on vinyl, and I read every liner note, and of course he showed up on the post-Roger albums too). In all fairness I am a big Pink Floyd fan, so I guess it is easy for me to know who he is.

No one is disputing that what he said was stupid, and it is not the first time he said something stupid (see his work with Deftones). Also Kanye has said a lot more stupid things publicly and I mean a lot more, than Erzin ever has.

Actually, yes. Disavowing knowledge of some "important" nobody from 30+ years ago in rock is a way of combating the rockist orthodoxy found to this day in a lot of how music is discussed. The same thing came up a couple years ago when Paul McCartney was on some special and a bunch of people were asking who he was. Some were genuine, but a lot of people also followed suit after the inevitable responses about how "dumb" people are today for not knowing about him-basically they were denying that he (and the generation that his music represents) has relevance and/or power today.

And the implications were much the same now, where there's a subtle air of condemnation towards people not knowing about some dude who was a knob-twidder for a bunch of oldies. That somehow if you're to be considered knowledgeable about music you should know who this dude is when in reality the's only relevant at all because he commented about Kanye.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

The_Rob posted:

Who else with kanye's notoriety is doing what he does?

You didn't mention notoriety, you said *literally the only musician* which is insane.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Bandiet posted:

You didn't mention notoriety, you said *literally the only musician* which is insane.

Sorry just assume I meant with his notoriety. Why would I be comparing Kanye to smaller less mainstream musicians.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Criticizing Kanye is criticizing art itself.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
According to French Montana, Kanye apparently also tried to do everything "in his power" to get Max B out of jail upon finding out who he is :lol:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

the_american_dream posted:

According to French Montana, Kanye apparently also tried to do everything "in his power" to get Max B out of jail upon finding out who he is :lol:

Hi Obama this is the most important living artist talking

3peat
May 6, 2010

DEHH review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLC2hu65K9E

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

FREE THE loving WAVE

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That French Montana song with Kanye and nas is really good

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

alansmithee posted:

Actually, yes. Disavowing knowledge of some "important" nobody from 30+ years ago in rock is a way of combating the rockist orthodoxy found to this day in a lot of how music is discussed. The same thing came up a couple years ago when Paul McCartney was on some special and a bunch of people were asking who he was. Some were genuine, but a lot of people also followed suit after the inevitable responses about how "dumb" people are today for not knowing about him-basically they were denying that he (and the generation that his music represents) has relevance and/or power today.

And the implications were much the same now, where there's a subtle air of condemnation towards people not knowing about some dude who was a knob-twidder for a bunch of oldies. That somehow if you're to be considered knowledgeable about music you should know who this dude is when in reality the's only relevant at all because he commented about Kanye.

Disregarding the legacy of music detracts from understanding and appreciating present music. Rockism is stupid, but to listen to Kanye or anyone else without the context of previous decades... I mean, it's perfectly fine from a casual perspective, and there's nothing wrong with casual appreciation of art, but outright dismissing music under some false moniker of "relevancy" is dumb. Are the Beatles current? No. Are the Beatles relevant? The band that gets covered all the time and whose appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show inspired multiple references, so on, so forth? Yeah, I'd say they're still relevant. The people who don't know who Paul McCartney is are like the people who don't know who Woodrow Wilson is... it's fine, but a lot of understanding of context gets lost in the process.

Having said all that, Kanye has never done anything as hosed up as lying to his own kids about their grandparents' death just to get some emotional reaction, so gently caress that dude.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

"The only rapper compared to Michael"

is also one of his best lines ever

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
also re: people not listening to Yeezus - Black Skinhead to Holy My Liquor is a four song masterpiece. (would include Blood on the Leaves but I'm In It gets in the way)

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I'm in it is a masterpiece you clown

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Album is one note and boring and should have been left to death grips hth

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

rear end Catchcum posted:

one note and boring

your posts

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I'm in it is a masterpiece you clown

I realize this is probably just a ref to the "Asian pussy" line, but it really doesn't have the same flair of the surrounding tracks.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I'm In It is the best Kanye song

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Asian pussy is gambino level hth

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

This is the album of the life.

post 808s Ye is my favorite Ye.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Asian pussy is gambino level hth
I know this is an rear end Catchcum post, but lol, Gambino's hot garbage and even the weakest thing Kanye's ever done (which I'm In It is most definitely not) is miles ahead of Gambino's best.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hughesta posted:

I'm In It is the best Kanye song

I agree with this about half the time

Because the Internet is okay, I like the Oakland song a bunch

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Album is one note and boring and should have been left to death grips hth

Death grips is terrible though

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

The_Rob posted:

Death grips is terrible though
actually, believe it or not, death grips are good

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I know this is an rear end Catchcum post, but lol, Gambino's hot garbage and even the weakest thing Kanye's ever done (which I'm In It is most definitely not) is miles ahead of Gambino's best.
Anything you can say about gambino applies to ye. At least I'm honest enough to like to both.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

hughesta posted:

I choose not to believe that

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

hughesta posted:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I missed Bob Ezrin chat, but I wanted to bring up this; the most unintentionally hilarious album ever

http://youtu.be/9Bcyk2C9Sto

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
New song coming black tron feat migos

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
What the gently caress, someone list all the new songs since Pablo dropped please. That's three now? The Nas one, the one from the all day video and now this.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

it's good friday mang

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Oh yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Probably Magic posted:

Disregarding the legacy of music detracts from understanding and appreciating present music. Rockism is stupid, but to listen to Kanye or anyone else without the context of previous decades... I mean, it's perfectly fine from a casual perspective, and there's nothing wrong with casual appreciation of art, but outright dismissing music under some false moniker of "relevancy" is dumb. Are the Beatles current? No. Are the Beatles relevant? The band that gets covered all the time and whose appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show inspired multiple references, so on, so forth? Yeah, I'd say they're still relevant. The people who don't know who Paul McCartney is are like the people who don't know who Woodrow Wilson is... it's fine, but a lot of understanding of context gets lost in the process.

Having said all that, Kanye has never done anything as hosed up as lying to his own kids about their grandparents' death just to get some emotional reaction, so gently caress that dude.

See that's the thing. Woodrow Wilson was president and had a huge impact on history. Paul McCartney was a dude in a popular boy band. That's the very attitude lots of folks are trying to get away from by dismissing dinosaur rock bands as irrelevant. I'd also argue that the Beatles had very little (to no) impact on most black music, even though they were pretty much entirely derivative of black music at the time. I mean you're kinda proving my point-it's like your saying "rockism is stupid but ROCK!!". I mean how am I "casually" appreciating rap (or house, or r&b, or 2step, or whatever) by not slavishly worshiping the Beatles? If I'm listening to Oasis? Yeah sure, it would probably let me view their work in a different light with some knowledge of them. But there's a whole giant musical legacy that didn't flow from the font of white dude guitars and you can be the least casual dude ever and still not give a gently caress about some rock.

• Locked thread