Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Koramei posted:

Colonial nations were in the free patch

e: I don't see why you couldn't have both systems side by side, either.

They came in a free patch but they have a ton of DLC interactions. Anyway I'd probably never make another colonial nation if I could just keep that territory myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You only get 2 states (at the beginning), and one of them is your capital, so unless you're only planning on only colonizing a really tiny area, that wouldn't be feasible.

Pellisworth posted:

To me, Corruption seems like a prime example of unnecessary feature bloat. If the devs want to balance the game by giving a penalty to Empires, highly Mercantile nations, those behind their neighbors in tech and so on that's fine. Why do we need an entirely new system? How is Corruption doing anything that couldn't be modeled through the existing Stability, Prestige, Legitimacy, rebellion/disaster, Inflation, and Autonomy mechanics?

Of course I'm not a game developer and just talking out of my rear end, but if something is going to add more micromanagement and UI clutter it needs to

1) reward the player for the additional investment and/or
2) simplify or streamline some other mechanic to offset the increased complexity

EU4 is already incredibly complex and the UI getting very packed, do we really need Corruption as a separate thing? Just balance expansion and tech progression through the existing mechanics.

Corruption sounds like the monarch point variation on inflation. I agree with what you're saying in general (the loot bar could have just been tied to autonomy imo, for instance) but this particular feature could have some genuine new uses and lots of nice modding implications.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Has anyone ever had the league wars fire since... I dunno, 3 patches ago?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Average Bear posted:

Has anyone ever had the league wars fire since... I dunno, 3 patches ago?

Not nearly as much as they used to but yes.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yes. They're plenty common, the key is just how the leagues shake out. The Emperor gets all of the Catholic League plus all his allies, which often includes 2 of Spain, France or Poland, which means the Protestant league rarely thinks it can win that war, so nothing ever breaks out.

But if the Emperor takes a beating from somebody else, the Protos will jump right on that.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 26, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Corruption sounds like a really inelegant fix to some general balance stuff but it does solve some issues which crop up when playing the game optimally or in MP, i.e. admin and dip tech kind of suck compared to blobbing as hard and fast as possible, mercantilism has no downside, etc. Let's not forget that you can dump cash directly into reducing corruption, it's not just a thing that happens.

Agreed on the main concern on states being that they're too big leading to you getting screwed over just because your border covers 3 different arbitrary map regions - though this will quickly stop being an issue once you get 1000 dev and have some tech. I do like how they will encourage tidy borders and discourage enclaves etc.

Even if the changes aren't a perfect implementation I like that they're moving further away from the design goal of more territory always being better and they can always be refined later.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yes. They're plenty common, the key is just how the leagues shake out. The Emperor gets all of the Catholic League plus all his allies, which often includes 2 of Spain, France or Poland, which means the Protestant league rarely thinks it can win that war, so nothing ever breaks out.

But if the Emperor takes a beating from somebody else, the Protos will jump right on that.
I don't think I've seen Spain at all recently. Usually Aragon shits on Castille and breaks the Iberian wedding because they are too strong.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Too Poetic posted:

I don't think I've seen Spain at all recently. Usually Aragon shits on Castille and breaks the Iberian wedding because they are too strong.

I usually see one of two things in Iberia post-Cossacks:

-Aragon and/or France demolish Castile
-Castile gets the Iberian Wedding fairly early and eats Portugal

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

You only get 2 states (at the beginning), and one of them is your capital

3, I think, for most. 2 for being a kingdom, one for being non tribal.

It does seem kinda... arbitrary, but we'll have to see how it plays. Culture groups seem to make more sense to me then abstract regions.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Too Poetic posted:

This is true. Although the last couple games I've seen, both will subsequently join any Catholic league, which is better than having a united Spain in there anyway.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Pellisworth posted:

I usually see one of two things in Iberia post-Cossacks:

-Aragon and/or France demolish Castile
-Castile gets the Iberian Wedding fairly early and eats Portugal

Yeah, this has been my experience.

Rough times for Portugal...

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PleasingFungus posted:

It seems like it'd be exactly the opposite, really, given that a small country stands a good chance of fitting entirely within a state. It's a drag on expansion, which doesn't matter if you're Frankfurt or w/e.

Very confused about the argument that "the devs apparently just like making GBS threads on minor powers all the time" - wasn't it only a patch or two ago that they massively increased minor powers' base force limits, income, etc?

A small country that isn't in the HRE is way more likely to find the only avenues for expansion are spread out across multiple regions which would be an income drain they can't handle. If you're nestled deep within the German regions then yeah sure knock yourself out. If you're playing, say, Trebizond or Theodoro, this is an awful situation because you will be expanding into bits of Crimea, Caucasia, Russia, Anatolia, Ruthenia and Central Asia as the opportunities present themselves. When you're sandwiched by the PLC, the Ottomans and Muscovy you really can't really be choosy about where you expand.

Also it was only a few patches ago when they put a 30 day delay on declaring wars, put in the favour/promise territory system and nerfed gold mines which are all things that minors rely on to not get destroyed early on.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Probably the state system shouldn't even apply to countries under a certain size. 10 provinces? This means that you can do Venetian Sea without having to declare a half-dozen states.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Dibujante posted:

Probably the state system shouldn't even apply to countries under a certain size. 10 provinces? This means that you can do Venetian Sea without having to declare a half-dozen states.

That and/or having duke-level nations exempt.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Odobenidae posted:

That and/or having duke-level nations exempt.

Only of upgrading to a kingdom is automatic/forced. Otherwise you're going to see some really big duchies!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Eej posted:

A small country that isn't in the HRE is way more likely to find the only avenues for expansion are spread out across multiple regions which would be an income drain they can't handle. If you're nestled deep within the German regions then yeah sure knock yourself out. If you're playing, say, Trebizond or Theodoro, this is an awful situation because you will be expanding into bits of Crimea, Caucasia, Russia, Anatolia, Ruthenia and Central Asia as the opportunities present themselves. When you're sandwiched by the PLC, the Ottomans and Muscovy you really can't really be choosy about where you expand.

Also it was only a few patches ago when they put a 30 day delay on declaring wars, put in the favour/promise territory system and nerfed gold mines which are all things that minors rely on to not get destroyed early on.

I've never relied on day-1 wars or gold mine abuse when playing microcountries for achievements, and somehow I've survived. the favours system definitely does make the game harder, but it doesn't matter if you're fighting a defensive war, of course - don't have to promise anything to get allies to come in for that!

i mean, look. is the state system going to make the game harder? in most cases, yes (though of course it'll affect the AI too, and I can see some niche cases where it makes life easier wrt what's now overseas territory). is anything that makes the game harder going to have a disproportionate impact on small countries? yeah, probably. but that's not a huge deal to me.

something like theodoro or trebizond is the definition of an edge case - they're set up to be borderline impossible. as long as the game's still presenting me with new, fun experiences, i'm fine with what they're doing. and the state system seems like it could be an improvement for the sizeable fraction of the game that doesn't consist of playing a near-doomed microstate. no more futzing around with setting up vassals to block off (asia/africa) to optimize my coring costs, or feeling guilty about not bothering! hail johan, sez I.

e: and of course people will still find ways to play your theodoro or ryukyu or w/e. I mean, isn't that the whole point of those achievements - to take something that the game's made every effort to render impossible, and pull it off anyway?

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So does this new state system apply to all provinces, colonial provinces, or provinces outside your capital's region?

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

I've never relied on day-1 wars or gold mine abuse when playing microcountries for achievements, and somehow I've survived. the favours system definitely does make the game harder, but it doesn't matter if you're fighting a defensive war, of course - don't have to promise anything to get allies to come in for that!
Allies will expect land in defensive wars

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Now that I think about it, the new state system substantially streamlines one of the gamier exploits that you needed whenever you did world conquest: vassal buffers to create distant overseas. Now, if you want something to be distant overseas, it simply is. You don't need to game the system. You already have a 75% autonomy floor.

This opens WC up to a lot more countries, rather than only countries that can effectively straddle continental divides. I think that's a good change.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
what are the chances of Podebrady winning the Sejm?

I dunno, I'd have to Czech the Poles!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Fintilgin posted:

Only of upgrading to a kingdom is automatic/forced. Otherwise you're going to see some really big duchies!

Good thing there's already an achievement for having a giant duchy!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just formed Malaya as Majapajit for The Spice Must Flow. I dont see any other exciting achievements to go for in this run and I am debating what to go for next. I think I would like to get away from Monarchies because I am getting sick of Regencies/being stuck with lovely rulers with no way out/dealing with Legitimacy, and I'm not ready for anything too advanced because I am a bad. I'm thinking maybe Baltic Crusader?

In other news - does anyone know of any way to see in the UI who is paying War Reparations to who?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

PleasingFungus posted:

i mean, look. is the state system going to make the game harder? in most cases, yes (though of course it'll affect the AI too, and I can see some niche cases where it makes life easier wrt what's now overseas territory). is anything that makes the game harder going to have a disproportionate impact on small countries? yeah, probably. but that's not a huge deal to me.

The only thing this change does is basically force everyone into the vassal buffers for overseas coring game whether you want to or not and I don't see what actual value this adds to the game except making that specific playstyle easier to pull off at the cost of pre 1.16 gameplay.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Eej posted:

The only thing this change does is basically force everyone into the vassal buffers for overseas coring game whether you want to or not and I don't see what actual value this adds to the game except making that specific playstyle easier to pull off at the cost of pre 1.16 gameplay.

My impression is that the state system means that you will no longer be able to use the vassal buffer -> overseas coring strat. If I'm wrong, then I'll be a lot more critical of the system!

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

My impression is that the state system means that you will no longer be able to use the vassal buffer -> overseas coring strat. If I'm wrong, then I'll be a lot more critical of the system!

From the dev diary it sounds like every core not in one of your states is cheap/"overseas" and then you have to pay the rest when it becomes a state.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PleasingFungus posted:

You will no longer need the vassal buffer. If you want something to be "overseas", you just designate it as such. But really, for almost all players, "overseas" means "I get a 50% coring cost reduction in exchange for not getting much out of this and I'm okay with that."

As well, territory beyond the number of states you can maintain is always overseas.

It's a double-edged sword.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My only complaint is that they went with Territories and States for names. Sounds rather too American for my liking, and also it would be nice if things could stop having such similar names (Ottoman Empire/Overextension, Aggressive Expansion/Admin Efficiency, I'm looking in your direction); territories and provinces would be much better.

Eej posted:

What would you rename provinces to, then?

(Also I think a lot of non-Americans living in countries that name their constituent states as "states" would take umbrage at the idea that it sounds too American)

Good lord what terrible ideas I have sometimes.

I know states is a common enough term, it's the combo of states and territories that make it sound so American.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 26, 2016

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What would you rename provinces to, then?

(Also I think a lot of non-Americans living in countries that name their constituent states as "states" would take umbrage at the idea that it sounds too American)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I am in the camp that would prefer those two unfun sounding feature to be DLC only content so I can disable them.

I don't really see how those two mechanics add anything to the game that I need/want. Corruption especially sounds like a really lame anti-blobbing mechanic, might as well just put diminishing returns on every province stat.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone else wish you could always have at least 1 general and 1 admiral?

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Seems like the system could be streamlined a little better by folding overextension into corruption.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gort posted:

Anyone else wish you could always have at least 1 general and 1 admiral?
Yes, and when I pay 50 MPs for a General or an Admiral I would prefer if there was a system that meant I did not get 1/0/0/0 in 1444. Perhaps something like the Advisor system that would let me pick from three, and they would cost more or less MPs based on their age and their pips? The values of the generals/admirals available would be determined by your respective Traditions. Something needs to be done because it sucks rear end.

Also is there any way for me to tell who is paying me War Reparations?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

My only complaint is that they went with Territories and States for names. Sounds rather too American for my liking, and also it would be nice if things could stop having such similar names (Ottoman Empire/Overextension, Aggressive Expansion/Admin Efficiency, I'm looking in your direction); territories and provinces would be much better.

Good lord what terrible ideas I have sometimes.

I know states is a common enough term, it's the combo of states and territories that make it sound so American.

I thought something similar but have no good ideas. Call one of them crown land and the other nothing?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Dibujante posted:

I thought something similar but have no good ideas. Call one of them crown land and the other nothing?

Demesne

The gaps between CK2 and EU4 grow ever narrower

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bort Bortles posted:

Also is there any way for me to tell who is paying me War Reparations?

Economy tab, if you hover over the amount next to "war reparations" in the list it gives a break down.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tsyni posted:

Economy tab, if you hover over the amount next to "war reparations" in the list it gives a break down.
Hah, drat thats hidden but it works, thanks!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bort Bortles posted:

Hah, drat thats hidden but it works, thanks!

Yeah, it might be nice if it were in the diplomacy tab in the list of marriages, alliances, coalitions, etc.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
it should be habit to hover your cursor over every pixel of the interface in a paradox game

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dibujante posted:

Heartland and Borderland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Heartland and Borderland.

Tenderloin and Flank.

• Locked thread