Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The press and the GOP figuring out how to deal with Trump after it's too late to stop him from winning the nomination would be pretty much perfect for maximizing convention shenanigans. Trump comes into the convention's first ballot with barely enough delegates for a majority, ratfuckery happens, he doesn't win the first ballot, the delegates are released and a sacrificial lamb is picked instead.

If there is no silver bullet or they don't figure it out (this is the more likely option), Trump is the nominee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
I dunno this attack seems pretty effective

https://twitter.com/NorahODonnell/status/703192950055034881

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

This will be buried and forgotten by next evening after the fecal hurricane Katrina unleashes on Twitter when Trump wakes up.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I don't really see a lot of Trump supporters suddenly changing their minds, although stranger things have happened.

I can almost believe the conspiracies about Trump paying off Carson and Kasich to stay in the race to bleed Cruz/Rubio support though.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Rubio sounds like a real winner until you consider that even among do-nothing politicians his track record is literally not showing up for his job and accomplishing nothing of substance, ever. Trump killed Cruz with "Liar" he will eviscerate Rubio with "Lazy" and this is before he starts putting his own crazy attack vectors into the mix.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Fix posted:

Headline: "America Won Tonight's Debate."

How. HOW?

"If anyone who watched this debate still votes for Trump, we really have no excuse for becoming France"

God, that's... that's good stuff. That's the pure stuff right there.

Wow, it's accelerationism from the Right. I like it!

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Good morning, America!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/703199361514123264

Edit: He chocked, LIKE A DOG!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

uncurable mlady posted:

I don't really see a lot of Trump supporters suddenly changing their minds, although stranger things have happened.

I can almost believe the conspiracies about Trump paying off Carson and Kasich to stay in the race to bleed Cruz/Rubio support though.

solid trump supporters will not change their minds. you heard him talking tonight? he praised mexicans, said that mexican immigrants are hard working and we want some of those immigrants etc etc. a far cry from the ALL MEXICANS OUT, AMERICAN JOBS FOR AMERICANS line he had before. similarly, he was perfectly teed up to call all muslims bloodthirsty terrorists that he would run circles around-- pretty much the Free Square of republican base bingo-- and instead he came out saying he'd be neutral and impartial. it's the GE pivot.

but it also means he knows his base is locked in. he hooked 'em with the "total and complete muslim ban" and "they're rapists bringing drugs and crime" stuff, but now they're on the trump train and they won't get off for something as small as him pirouetting to the center.

pretty much the only hope the others have to consolidate the anti-trump vote. the highest percentage of the republican base he's gotten is 45% and a lot of his ST states have him winning, but getting a lot less than that. there's a very real chance that he'll get the nomination without ever having had 50+% of the vote, except maybe in states like NY and MA that he can't win in the GE.

it doesn't matter. whoever said this lack of oppo research on him was malpractice is right. it's criminally stupid. last night was too little too late. the only upshot from the debate is it demonstrated which attacks get under trump's skin and make him lose his composure, which is pretty much free test shots for the dems. he also thrives when he has a weak candidate he can beat up on on stage and stumbles when he doesn't.

the redstate reactions are delicious, pure unhinged lunacy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Oiled and Ready posted:

Watching Wolf with my assigned freshman college roommate was how we became good friends in first semester (Obama v McCain in Fall '08). We had a poster of WOLF above our TV.

Those were good times. What I'm saying is, Wolf isn't a journalist, in fact even then we knew he was a godawful journalist. Wolf is an entertainer and the keeper of the big board, he brings liberals and conservatives together, and because of that he has to be an awful excuse for an actual human question asker.

It is the burden he and Chris Matthews shoulder together, the hack of all trades.

I was a Freshman in college at the same time you were and my first roommate was a conservative Christian who constantly moaned and complained about the liberalness of the honors anthropology class we were both in and ranted about how drag queens and homosexuals were "the epitome of sin" based on this documentary about 1980s New York City drag culture we had to watch for said anthropology class. Needless to say, I had to transfer to a different dorm by the end of the semester (and ended up with an even bigger rear end in a top hat who eventually got arrested on felonious sexual assault charges).

So, uh, lucky you, I guess?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Feb 26, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

2016 Republican Primaries - Mr. Meltdown chokes again

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Trump won last night, he's going to win on Tuesday, and his enemies still don't know how to handle him, and will never know, because you CAN'T handle him.

TRUMP!!!!!

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

good lord hes aging by the day

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

After Tuesday, all Donald has to say is "Marco, I've won all but two states and you've won zero" and all of his attacks become ineffective, no matter how well-rehearsed or how much the audience gets behind him.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

If there is no Dog, everything is permitted
I'm wondering what the Democratic party will bring to bear on Trump (lol the nominating process is over). I found this a little interesting.

Hillary Clinton posted:

I didn’t know him that well, but I did know him. And I think it’s been most surprising to me to see somebody who was affable and was good company and had a reputation of being kind of bigger than life really traffic in a lot of the prejudice and paranoia.

There's a Karl Rovian approach you could take here in attacking his strengths, e.g.: He doesn't really mean what he's saying about building a wall. He's not even that mean. Trump is actually a very nice guy! Don't believe the tweets, this is all an act, he's a reality TV star after all, he'll sell you out too in the end...

To some extent the GOP has been trying to develop that kind of message, but they can't push it that hard, because they themselves need to be mean to foreigners and run around attempting to drop sick burns on people. Democrats aren't bound by those constraints.

Totalizator
Nov 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dogstoyevsky posted:

I'm wondering what the Democratic party will bring to bear on Trump (lol the nominating process is over). I found this a little interesting.

There's a Karl Rovian approach you could take here in attacking his strengths, e.g.: He doesn't really mean what he's saying about building a wall. He's not even that mean. Trump is actually a very nice guy! Don't believe the tweets, this is all an act, he's a reality TV star after all, he'll sell you out too in the end...

To some extent the GOP has been trying to develop that kind of message, but they can't push it that hard, because they themselves need to be mean to foreigners and run around attempting to drop sick burns on people. Democrats aren't bound by those constraints.

Is that gonna fly after months and months of left wing media painting him as the New Hitler ready to unleash Mexican/Muslim genocide at the drop of a hat?

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/703215115093430272
what a great honer, beating that chocker

also, here's the line Rubio is going with:
https://twitter.com/seangallitz/status/703215248824643584

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dogstoyevsky posted:

Yeah, I think being patronizing towards Trump might do the job that being mean or trying to point out his flaws can't. Trump's incredibly insecure, so making him seem small and insignificant against the decisions he'd have to make as President would do a number on his ego.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
im like 50 pages behind this thread and missed the debate but nyt insists rubio has stumped the trump?

c/d

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Fix posted:

"If anyone who watched this debate still votes for Trump, we really have no excuse for becoming France"

God, that's... that's good stuff. That's the pure stuff right there.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

HyperPuma posted:

im like 50 pages behind this thread and missed the debate but nyt insists rubio has stumped the trump?

c/d

there were a couple moments where rubio had trump flustered to the point of anger

but then cruz opened his mouth

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Neeksy posted:

Watch the episodes of Jeopardy with Blitzer as contestant. He really is that dumb.

Seconding that, it's hilarious. He ends up with a negative score in the thousands and Andy Richter crushes him.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Totalizator posted:

Is that gonna fly after months and months of left wing media painting him as the New Hitler ready to unleash Mexican/Muslim genocide at the drop of a hat?

Well, yes, on the grounds that different media outlets and different individuals can say different things.

It would appear to possibly be a viable strategy to treat Trump with baffled amusement. He thrives on conflict and performs best when he's being treated as a serious threat and attacked.

With that being said, I'm sure he's got more in the tank and will require deft, flexible handling in the general.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I was a Freshman in college at the same time you were and my first roommate was a conservative Christian who constantly moaned and complained about the liberalness of the honors anthropology class we were both in and ranted about how drag queens and homosexuals were "the epitome of sin" based on this documentary about 1980s New York City drag culture we had to watch for said anthropology class. Needless to say, I had to transfer to a different dorm by the end of the semester (and ended up with an even bigger rear end in a top hat who eventually got arrested on felonious sexual assault charges).

So, uh, lucky you, I guess?

Paris is Burning is a great film

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

HyperPuma posted:

c/d

Yes...but the effort was too little to late. Rubio blew his load in the first half hour, and while effective, it won't have any major repercussions. It could even be a blessing in disguise that keeps Cruz and Rubio in after ST, keeps the vote splintered and keeps Trump up by 20 points instead of a smaller lead due to winnowing.

I know that some of you keep saying Trump might lose the nomination at the convention on a 2nd ballot, but as disastrous as a Trump nomination might be to the GOP (and I'm not convinced it would be disastrous), a non-Trump nomination would be worse. If Donald Trump, the avatar of anger given form, wins a plurality of votes and doesn't get the nomination - the republican rank and file voters will unleash a wave of wrath that will be felt not only on the top of the ticket, but all the way down ballot. The GOP knows it and they are slowly bending the knee, and after Tuesday you're going to really see it.

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

KaptainKrunk posted:

After Tuesday, all Donald has to say is "Marco, I've won all but two states and you've won zero" and all of his attacks become ineffective, no matter how well-rehearsed or how much the audience gets behind him.

It may not work, but all you have to do is shoot back that he hasn't yet won with a majority. Ever single state has been a majority for "not Trump".

They've been working for this I think. If he don't quite get the majority ever that's their case for the convention. It'll piss off people... but they know they're hosed anyway. There's a non-zero amount of people who won't vote for Trump (stay home or vote for someone else that doesn't make them throw-up in their mouths) and energized Democrats where Trump represents the caricature they hate about Republicans.

The other option is they bow down and let him lose or win. If he loses they be huge smug assholes with "I told you". If he wins they wait it out and either die off or get another chance in four years hoping to be the smug assholes then.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Hey Republicans I have some bad news re: con artists taking over your party

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Super PACs are revving up their Trump attack engines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu56hsw8YbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAmpK9s4-QQ

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

Totalizator posted:

Nothing is more pathetic (and scarier in some ways) than an impotent wannabe fascist. Potentially you get the best of both worlds.

Dogstoyevsky
Oct 9, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

making him seem small and insignificant against the decisions he'd have to make as President would do a number on his ego.

Obama did just this in his epic Stumping of the Trump at the WHCD. Granted Trump didn't have a mic, but that should be the case study in how to handle Trump in the general.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

This didn't get answered before, so I'll ask again: isn't that Trump Twitter account fake (ie it's by someone parodying/posing as Trump)?

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

its real

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

This didn't get answered before, so I'll ask again: isn't that Trump Twitter account fake (ie it's by someone parodying/posing as Trump)?
no.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

blue squares posted:

Paris is Burning is a great film

It was. Unfortunately, conservative Christians don't seem to agree! :shepface:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

trump can never be defeated as long as there's a soft target for him to beat up on. it restores his mojo. he was obviously flustered when his attacks on ruboto failed to gain traction, but as soon as he realized Cruz was made of taffy he just ignored Marco and piled on Ted.

and the angle Hillary is pursuing isn't "trump is a secure left winger" it's "trump is at serial liar and con man who doesn't believe a word of what he says." insofar as she can keep him off balance that's a successful line, since it's really obviously true to anyone who watches him, but unless she pairs it with attacks on his record I don't think it's enough by itself.

also the polish workers thing is really good since trump's only real defense is "they did it behind my back" and that can be spun to make him look naive or foolish.

if Hillary tries to pin him to his record on Muslims or Mexicans that's probably a losing strategy for a debate. save that stuff for super PAC attack ads. I wouldn't hit him on his taxes either, that goes nowhere but it does inoculate her from transcript attacks

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Trump supporters: THEY ARE ALL CON ARTISTS! AT LEAST TRUMP IS AN HONEST ONE!

No seriously... I've seen all this play out before in Toronto with Rob Ford. Trump is most likely going to win. Enjoy!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Really? What the gently caress. :psyduck:

I think the Honey Booboo episode of South Park was pretty spot-on then with how crass poo poo has become.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Hahahahaha welcome to the 2016 primary

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

These aren't actually all that bad.

I mean, it won't make a difference, but still, good hustle.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

the blue check by his name means that yes, its real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Hahahahaha welcome to the 2016 primary

Every time I think I've seen enough and I can't be surprised again, this election pulls something new and exciting from its magic hat.

• Locked thread