Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dreggon posted:

what curses boost chaos damage if any? i need like, 3 curses

depends on method of application

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i wonder if exploding enemies can crit

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Temp Chains will increase the duration of chaos dots also, not a direct damage increase but can be of some use on bosses.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

oh blasphemy is 35%? so i can only have two as auras. that's alright, i guess

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

The chaos "curse" is Wither, which isn't actually a curse, but inflicts a debuff that increases chaos damage taken and stacks with itself (and also reduces movement speed, but that doesn't stack). I think the general best practice is to link it with Spell Totem and throw it down whenever you need more damage.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
On a scale from 1 - hosed, where would I be at the start of ascendancy if I haven't followed the game since masters?

Are most of the additions things I can pick up along the way? Or, have they added a lot of game-breaking poo poo that would save me hours if I was caught up?

I'm pretty excited to pick up the game again. I ran through act 1 on a fresh character and it seems like there's a million distractions now. Hopefully won't take long figuring out what I should just skip until later.

No idea what build I should play, but I'm leaning towards some kind of ranged attack. Like, elemental ST or any bow skill really.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

10bux posted:

No idea what build I should play, but I'm leaning towards some kind of ranged attack. Like, elemental ST or any bow skill really.

If you like shooting things, I thoroughly recommend neversinks TS ranger build.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

10bux posted:

On a scale from 1 - hosed, where would I be at the start of ascendancy if I haven't followed the game since masters?

Are most of the additions things I can pick up along the way? Or, have they added a lot of game-breaking poo poo that would save me hours if I was caught up?

I'm pretty excited to pick up the game again. I ran through act 1 on a fresh character and it seems like there's a million distractions now. Hopefully won't take long figuring out what I should just skip until later.

I just came back a couple weeks ago after a 3 (?) year break and I didn't find it very hard to get back into things.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

10bux posted:

You should be fine. Jewels and ghosts were the biggest things I can think of but those aren't that hard. 2.2 is a major shakeup.

Grizlor posted:

Ugh I'm gonna need a doedre's crown with 3 blue 1 white for sockets :smithicide:

Edit: Also I guess I missed another purge. Can someone toss RIPtoReflect an invite?

Ekster posted:

Could I get a guild re-invite?

IGN: EksterRedRibbon

Thanks!

Tagging these for when I get home. Did I miss anyone else looking for an invite?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

10bux posted:

poison arrow is now caustic arrow and is a legit viable build. tshot still good. lightning arrow w/ voltaxic is fotm again. blast rain is some sweet single target. there are some other new bow skills that are mostly good for leveling, but are still viable and/or provide decent utility later on if you want something different. bladefall is sort of EK meets rain of arrows, and is pretty great. Ele ST still works, and I think ST is getting a buff (maybe just at lower skill levels?) again with the next patch. all in all I think you'll pick up anything new quick enough.

probably the biggest QoL change if you haven't played since masters, vendors sell leveled skill gems now based on class, difficulty and quests completed.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

10bux posted:

ST was subpar but usable for a long time, and it's most likely returning to its glory days with the Ascendancy update :woop:

There's a decent amount of new stuff but as long as you read up on the Ascendancy classes before starting everything will be decently intuitive. Also play on SC even if you're regularly a HC player because act 4 is pretty much guaranteed to kill you your first time through.

Probably biggest change aside from a new act (and upcoming ascendancy stuff) is that desync is now non-existent if you have below 120 ping or so. Other big change is jewels, which you can socket into slots on your passive tree, which are currently kinda wasted potential and a currency sink unless you have certain builds that require unique jewels.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Tagging these for when I get home. Did I miss anyone else looking for an invite?

A couple other people pmed me or whispered me today, so I got these as well

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hauki posted:

A couple other people pmed me or whispered me today, so I got these as well

Cool.

Are these are legit? I assume its people selling the codes from the bundle thing for last week.

https://www.g2a.com/path-of-exile-arctic-crown-cobra-pet-cd-key-global.html

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Bugsy posted:

Cool.

Are these are legit? I assume its people selling the codes from the bundle thing for last week.

https://www.g2a.com/path-of-exile-arctic-crown-cobra-pet-cd-key-global.html

They match up with that, yeah.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
They are already changing the ascendancy nodes, deadly infusion is no longer the broken Best In Node like before. It's just really really good, which is ok by me.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Kild posted:

It's ~310 ES with quality and I'm assuming this is a low roll. With 300 str its another 60 ES (its global so the local modifier won't apply). 400 ES/500 armor 70 life 15 all res ZO chest seems decent.
Time to make an edgy iron will ES caster with ~6% ES regen from Marauder

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
What's the status of that Witch offering self node? Because because that's also brokenly powerful.

Looking at that thing, it would go well with a blade vortex selfcast. I might do that this league.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Pohx is streaming alpha right now and his stream is quite fun to watch.

Also, unrelated: if you ever wondered if reflected secondary damage from Explosive Arrow is enough to kill your hardcore character: yes, it is.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ekster posted:

Yeah mathil is the best but this is better than Kripp trying to catch up to 5 leagues worth of updates.

Watching him play self cast discharge is kinda adorable. Still better than any build I've made, but I wouldn't have noticed if ggg made Discharge impossible to self cast.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Kild posted:

It's ~310 ES with quality and I'm assuming this is a low roll. With 300 str its another 60 ES (its global so the local modifier won't apply). 400 ES/500 armor 70 life 15 all res ZO chest seems decent.

How do you know that the +ES per 5str is global and not local?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Katasi posted:

How do you know that the +ES per 5str is global and not local?

Mark_GGG, on Pillar of the Caged God:

"They are global bonuses, like passives. They can't be local to the weapon because they rely on your stats, which aren't part of the weapon."'

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I think I will do a shockwave totem build for ascendancy. Templar Inquisitor seems like it could work well. I've not played a templar since 1.3.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Phobophilia posted:

What's the status of that Witch offering self node? Because because that's also brokenly powerful.

Looking at that thing, it would go well with a blade vortex selfcast. I might do that this league.

Yeah giving yourself a constant 30% attack/cast speed and 29%movement speed (+40% increased damage for 4 seconds with Spirit Eater) and the ability to instantly switch it up to 35% block/34%spell block while gain 600 life per block is insane.

Unless SRS gets changed drastically I've decided to go necro SRS. Mistress of Sacrifice, Spirit Eater, then Commander of Darkness.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
With how easy it is to get high crit now (tree/ascendancy/new increased crits gem) maybe a crit spellcaster would work for MFing. With dual daggers for damage and WB you might not need any other crit on gear.

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 26, 2016

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
Does anyone have any idea how the Scion/Trickster ascendancy node will work if you have no energy shield at all? Do you not get either bonus or do you just get the damage one all the time? It also seems really easy to exploit in a life build, just have no ES at all except for the first +14 node in the Shadow area, that combined with a +3 energy shield gained per enemy hit on a jewel will mean the evade bonus is basically always up. Or if you just want the damage, do the same but don't socket that gem.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I would expect neither to work if you have no ES whatsoever.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Latest batch of Ascendancy tweaks:

quote:

Pathfinder: 10% chance to gain a charge on crit (wasn't this 20% before?)
Occultist: Vile Bastion's ES Regen per enemy killed reduced to 0.5% from 1%
Occultist: Profane Bloom 50% chance to explode, down from 100%
Occultist: Wicked Ward: 30% ES recharge rate -> 0%
Necromancer: You and your Minions have 40% inc dmg if you boomed a corpse recently. Up from 30%
Necromancer: Auras you Cast grant 6% increased Damage to you and Allies. Up from 4%
Berserker: Aspect of Carnage is 40% more damage (just corrected typo)
Juggernaut: Unstoppable now has +10% move speed (in addition to cannot be slowed beyond base)
Juggernaut: Unbreakable is Cannot be Stunned
Juggernaut: Unyielding 30% Dmg while Fortify; 1.5% regen while Fortify
Juggernaut: Unflinching 20% chance to End Charge when hit (up from 10%)
Juggernaut : Unrelenting went to 6 inc/8 red up from 4 inc/5 red
Juggernaut : Undeniable is 10% attack speed up from 8%.
Saboteur: Blinding Assault 25% chance to create a smoke cloud when hit, up from 10%
Assassin: Noxious Strike 30% ct bleed on attack 40% ct poison bleeders 50% ct maim poisoned (from 20% all)
Assassin: Deadly Infusion +5% to crit multiplier per PC, down from 15%
Assassin: Ambush +60% to crit multi vs full life, down from 75%
Champion: Fortify text fixed
Champion: First, Last +200% eva/ar on low life, up from +100%; 40% dmg up from 30%
Champion: Inspirational +35% dmg aura, up from +30%; MS 10% up from 5%
Champion: Enemies you taunt take 20% inc damage, up from 15%
Gladiator: Gratuitous Violence 25% chance to bleed up from 10%
Gladiator: Small nodes 2% block, up from 1%
Gladiator: Painforged +40% dmg if you haven't taken hits recently, up from 35%
Gladiator Blood in the Eyes: 30% chance to Maim, used to be 20%. 30% increased Damage, used to be 25%
Inquisitor: Pious Path 40% increased Damage while on Consecrated Ground up from 30%
Inquisitor: Sanctify 25% chance for consecrated ground on hit/kill up from 20%
Chieftain: Ngamahu, Flame's Advance, Chance to ignite at 15%, up from 10%
Chieftain: Tukohama, War's Herald Skills used by Totems have a 20% chance to Taunt on Hit, up from 10%
Raider: Avatar of the Veil: now grants 20% increased Elemental Damage
Hierophant: 15% mana as ES (up from 12%). Still waiting on that name change.
Slayer: Bane of Legends: 50% increased Damage, used to be 40%

And boy is GGG support fast and good. Sent them a message about a missing mtx (the arctic crown never got added to my mtx tabs but the cobra did) and they fixed it in 10 minutes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Bugsy posted:

Latest batch of Ascendancy tweaks:

And boy is GGG support fast and good. Sent them a message about a missing mtx (the arctic crown never got added to my mtx tabs but the cobra did) and they fixed it in 10 minutes.

Being a small company with not as many players helps CS.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
I've never played a Voltaxic Ranger, and I'd really like to during the next league.

How feasible is it to play without Voltaxic/play it as a first league character? I know there are other unique bows people use for levelling the build (like Storm Cloud), but I'm not sure about using rare ones.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Consecrated ground is on hit now. Wow. That will be my first.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
The one thing about the offerings that will be annoying is the constant recasting. With L20 increased duration, built-in 30% duration, you can get 6-13 seconds depending on corpses; with heavy investment into the duration nodes, you can get around 9-19 seconds.

I kinda of want to just say screw it, forgo the high levels of health recovery that L20+ bone offering provides and keep it lowish level and put it in CWDT, because pathing to the skill duration nodes by Scion will be annoying as heck. Thinking L7 CWDT (~1000 damage) + L12 offering (31/30 block) seems like an OK tradeoff. This way also lets you get the 40% increased damage after offering bonus from the other ascendancy node up frequently as well. Also I suspect those life recovery values at high levels might get themselves nerfed.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 26, 2016

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

They gave a lot of streamers alpha access/permission to stream including mathil who's streaming alpha right now.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

ImsaKidd posted:

I've never played a Voltaxic Ranger, and I'd really like to during the next league.

How feasible is it to play without Voltaxic/play it as a first league character? I know there are other unique bows people use for levelling the build (like Storm Cloud), but I'm not sure about using rare ones.

It's viable with storm cloud until the start of maps. Then you probably want to nab a voltaxic.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I was planning on going Shadow CA/Puncture, so this buff to Noxious Strike is much appreciated.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why does everyone spoil nest their posts on the official forum. It is incredibly annoying.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
The official forum is terrible. Don't go there.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

baby puzzle posted:

The official forum is terrible. Don't go there.

Is there a good place where people post about builds online and discuss strategy? The official forums are indeed hard to read.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005
How severe was the nerf to Blade Vortex? I was going to do a Blade Vortex/RF build because the Scion/Trickster seems to synergize so well with that. It seems really stupidly broken.

You can exit out of Scion via the life regen nodes and get all the life regen/life/armor from the Templar/Marauder/Duelist area, then grab Path of the Shadow and literally grab +120% elemental damage in ten nodes going right into the Growth and Decay wheel for more DoT damage and life regen. I can get >200% life, >200% armor, >200% fire/spell/elemental damage from the tree with 7 endurance charges and 16.5% life regenerated per second. Since Righteous Fire is damage over time, it triggers the Trickster ascendancy which boosts that up to 21.5% of your life regenerated per second. With a Shaper's Seed it would be 25.3% life regenerated per second. You can run Blasphemy/Warlord's Mark which alongside Blade Vortex not only provides you all your endurance charges but also provides life leech as well as all the mana leech you need to keep spamming Vortex. Finally, you're exiting out of the Scion tree on the left side, and Elemental Equilibrium is right there. Since Righteous Fire does not hit, a single "adds X cold/lightning damage to spells" on any piece of gear will let Blade Vortex set Equilibrium off and give everything -50% fire resist for Righteous Fire. Find a Doon Cuebiyari to turn all that Strength into more spell power and it gets really stupid really fast. Even in curse immune maps, you could just socket Life Leech into Blade Vortex in place of something and the +100% mana regen from the Trickster ascendancy will easily let you sustain spamming it.

Normally you'd need that +8% max fire resist shield to make an RF build work, but the life regen here is so high you can sustain RF indefinitely even at 80% fire resist from purity of fire/barbarism with like 5% life/second left over. So you don't actually need any uniques at all to make the build work, you can go straight into it from level 1 when the new league starts.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It wasn't nerfed at all, the damage was slightly less than doubled and the number of hits was halved. It should do pretty much exactly the same damage after accounting for armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

euphronius posted:

Why does everyone spoil nest their posts on the official forum. It is incredibly annoying.

It's to get around the character limit isn't it?

• Locked thread