Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not saying I even support Grayson at this point. I used to, but that NYT article was awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

the investing in eritrean slave labor mines is pretty hilarious. also kind of instructive, in that you can go through a few house elections without something even this seemingly obvious coming to light. try to move up a rung on the ladder and you look like a loving idiot, but he was getting away with it for a while there

edit: and to be clear about my last post - if someone wants to build on my thoughts about a house thread OP, especially by finding a google map with the whole country's house districts to link to or with any other suggestions, i'll either write up a mediocre version or one of y'all can take the baton and make a better one. but i think it'd be nice to have a thread before the first congressional primaries, which i believe are on tuesday! that OP would include a discussion of upcoming races, so starting with super tuesday and moving through the march and april primaries

oystertoadfish has issued a correction as of 07:17 on Feb 25, 2016

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm not saying I even support Grayson at this point. I used to, but that NYT article was awful

It really wasn't that awful. He's an awfully weird guy but i didn't see any real smoking gun in that article. a 16.7M Hedge Fund is pretty much a family shop.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

This is House, not Senate, but:

Anyone hear much from Rep. Hank Johnson? He's the Buddhist guy who took over for Cynthia McKinney in an Atlanta district.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Richard Shelby is running ad attacking his primary opponent for cheating in a college student government election.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACwaQGnizsg

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

to be fair, if Walker were still in we'd have a national attack ad in that vein already

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
https://twitter.com/pollreport/status/702975749490278400

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

I spit upon Ron Johnson. I'm almost certainly going to help campaign for Feingold if I'm still in Wisconsin come this fall.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I haven't heard about Feingold running. Is this just "if Russ was running, would you vote for him or the guy named after a penis?"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

FAUXTON posted:

I haven't heard about Feingold running. Is this just "if Russ was running, would you vote for him or the guy named after a penis?"

Feingold is running. The NRSC even has a guy following him around dressed as a tree.

https://twitter.com/jmartNYT/status/666803658676379654

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

FAUXTON posted:

Nope, he already announced and the DSCC officially recruited him and shut out everyone else, so there will be an essentially uncontested primary.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The only bad thing is that its such a sure victory (Johnson ran a great campaign last time but turned out to be terrible at maintaining popularity and doesn't seem open to trying to moderate, he's toast in November no matter what the top of the ballot looks like) that you'd be better off depriving yourself of Russ and volunteering for a congressional candidate instead.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Nope, he already announced and the DSCC officially recruited him and shut out everyone else, so there will be an essentially uncontested primary.

That's not a bad idea given the state party's last few gubernatorial candidates.

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
If Russ Feingold (D-WI) wins, can we make Reid's replacement as the next Senate Democratic leader instead of current frontrunner Chuck Schumer (D-BAG)?
Or is there some arcane Senate rule where if you lose and recover your seat, you have to start all over at the back of the line?

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Nameless_Steve posted:

If Russ Feingold (D-WI) wins, can we make Reid's replacement as the next Senate Democratic leader instead of current frontrunner Chuck Schumer (D-BAG)?
Or is there some arcane Senate rule where if you lose and recover your seat, you have to start all over at the back of the line?

I'm guessing the Clintons would not support Fiengold. http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=106&session=1&vote=00005

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

They'd campaign for him, but they wouldn't support him for the Leader post because Chuck Schumer is their homeboy.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Alter Ego posted:

They'd campaign for him, but they wouldn't support him for the Leader post because Chuck Schumer is their homeboy.

Yeah that's what I meant. That vote was for motion for impeachment proceedings against Clinton in the Senate.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nameless_Steve posted:

Being the majority/minority leader isn't about being the most progressive, it's about being the best at twisting arms and political maneuvering. Reid is great because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Being the majority/minority leader isn't about being the most progressive, it's about being the best at twisting arms and political maneuvering. Reid is great because he's an rear end in a top hat.

Which is why Schumer really isn't a great candidate - he's not particularly good at arm twisting or political maneuvering (except for maneuvering in front of a camera.)

Reid's going to be missed.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Kalman posted:

Which is why Schumer really isn't a great candidate - he's not particularly good at arm twisting or political maneuvering (except for maneuvering in front of a camera.)

Reid's going to be missed.

Who do you think would be better than Schumer? I don't think Schumer will be a very good leader.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Mitt Romney posted:

Who do you think would be better than Schumer? I don't think Schumer will be a very good leader.

Problem is I'm not really sure there is anyone appreciably better. Durbin doesn't really have the politicking down the same way Harry did either (though probably better than Schumer). Warren is better as a ideals person than as a political driver. Schumer might be best by default, as annoying as that is.

Maybe Leahy? He isn't bad at negotiation and quiet arm-twisting on Judiciary. Not sure he'd want the job, though.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Aliquid posted:

This is House, not Senate, but:

Anyone hear much from Rep. Hank Johnson? He's the Buddhist guy who took over for Cynthia McKinney in an Atlanta district.

Evangelicals despise him because he's not Christian and they're probably going to vote him out.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Kalman posted:

Problem is I'm not really sure there is anyone appreciably better. Durbin doesn't really have the politicking down the same way Harry did either (though probably better than Schumer). Warren is better as a ideals person than as a political driver. Schumer might be best by default, as annoying as that is.

Maybe Leahy? He isn't bad at negotiation and quiet arm-twisting on Judiciary. Not sure he'd want the job, though.

People were touting Murray when Reid first announced his retirement. She's part of the leadership, and seems like she has a good handle on negotiation and organization.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I would be very, very happy if a Senator from my state were the Senate Minority/Majority Leader. Patty Murray is cool and does good work.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

While still hopeful that Mr. Rubio might prevail, Mr. McConnell has begun preparing senators for the prospect of a Trump nomination, assuring them that, if it threatened to harm them in the general election, they could run negative ads about Mr. Trump to create space between him and Republican senators seeking re-election. Mr. McConnell has raised the possibility of treating Mr. Trump’s loss as a given and describing a Republican Senate to voters as a necessary check on a President Hillary Clinton, according to senators at the lunches.

He has reminded colleagues of his own 1996 re-election campaign, when he won comfortably amid President Bill Clinton’s easy re-election. Of Mr. Trump, Mr. McConnell has said, “We’ll drop him like a hot rock,” according to his colleagues.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html

So the real question I have there is, can the vulnerable GOP senators pick up enough voters in the middle to overcome furious trumpenstaffel who can't abide someone running against their guy who won't vote for them as a result.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

evilweasel posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/politics/donald-trump-republican-party.html

So the real question I have there is, can the vulnerable GOP senators pick up enough voters in the middle to overcome furious trumpenstaffel who can't abide someone running against their guy who won't vote for them as a result.

my guess is that any deal the RNC cuts with Trump post-clinch will include the provision that he not specifically badmouth any downticket races, even ones that specifically disavow him. whether he will abide by the terms of such a deal is a question that i am really ready to find out the answer to

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
The answer is no. Trump don't care about some down ticket schmucks. If those low energy losers want to have nice things said about them, well they can come kiss the ring and work out their own deal.

Gyges has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Feb 28, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't know about that, when push comes to shove Trump isn't going to put other people above himself but he's also not going to go out of his way to gently caress with the senators who will, in theory, be voting in all his poo poo. The people he's done the most to gently caress with this campaign have been Lindsey Graham and Jeb Bush, I don't think its any coincidence that neither is going to be a sitting senator next term. Compare that to Rand Paul, who Trump was relatively hands off with (worst I can remember is Trump saying he's ugly which, yeah, he is.)

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Cliff Racer posted:

I don't know about that, when push comes to shove Trump isn't going to put other people above himself but he's also not going to go out of his way to gently caress with the senators who will, in theory, be voting in all his poo poo. The people he's done the most to gently caress with this campaign have been Lindsey Graham and Jeb Bush, I don't think its any coincidence that neither is going to be a sitting senator next term. Compare that to Rand Paul, who Trump was relatively hands off with (worst I can remember is Trump saying he's ugly which, yeah, he is.)

Woah, Graham is retiring? Since when?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Since he announced it a year or two ago?

edit: Apparently I am wrong, must be confusing it with something else.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

so are any of the Florida candidates not completely terrible?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

my guess is that any deal the RNC cuts with Trump post-clinch will include the provision that he not specifically badmouth any downticket races, even ones that specifically disavow him. whether he will abide by the terms of such a deal is a question that i am really ready to find out the answer to

I don't think Trump needs to attack them for his supporters to see running against him as unforgivable treason.

Also, like, what support can the rnc give that's worth poo poo compared to all other republicans running against him?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Enourmo posted:

Murphy is good and Jolly and Lopez-Canterra or whatever his name is both fit comfortably within mainstream politics. If by "not completely terrible" you mean leftist who DOESN'T profit from slave labor though then the answer is no. Florida's primaries are very late in the season and other people could always jump in though, of course (a very conservative Republican did today, for instance.)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

I don't think Trump needs to attack them for his supporters to see running against him as unforgivable treason.

Also, like, what support can the rnc give that's worth poo poo compared to all other republicans running against him?

Trump's driving the "political revolution" which Sanders promised. The RNC can support Trump by taking some loving action on building a tall as gently caress border wall.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Enourmo posted:

What, you mean Kasich?

I think all the other candidates own Florida property.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

My Imaginary GF posted:

What, you mean Kasich?

I think all the other candidates own Florida property.

i meant the senate candidates

this being the senate race thread and all

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Cliff Racer posted:

Murphy is good and Jolly and Lopez-Canterra or whatever his name is both fit comfortably within mainstream politics. If by "not completely terrible" you mean leftist who DOESN'T profit from slave labor though then the answer is no. Florida's primaries are very late in the season and other people could always jump in though, of course (a very conservative Republican did today, for instance.)

Jolly is the son of a man who died in office which required him to but beat Alex Sink for his inheritance. Lopez-Canterra is Rick Scott's Lieutenant Governor and thus has in all likelihood been hollowed out and turned into a horcrux. So we go with the ex-Republican turned Democrat.

Ah, Florida.

At least our house reps have a good chance of getting shaken up due to the Florida Supreme Court finally giving the official double bird to the Legislature.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Cliff Racer posted:

Since he announced it a year or two ago?

edit: Apparently I am wrong, must be confusing it with something else.

Maybe Rubio? He announced he wasn't seeking reelection this year back in 2014.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was probably still thinking of Jim DeMint from way back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Apparently Graham did retire recently - from the Air Force Reserves. He had been in the reserves during most of his legislative career, and attained the rank of Colonel for his service to the Air Force's budget.

• Locked thread