Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

theroachman posted:

Good call. Though you do see some people with prams and strollers, I can't imagine it's fun navigating the halls when it gets crowded. And it gets very, very crowded.

Uhh yeah we'd leave them with my parents but again, probably not while they're young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBag
May 18, 2006

Crackbone posted:

The newest edition of SJ addresses a lot of the flaws of the original (which is what the app is based on).

Guild hall got significantly nerfed, some of the assorted cards got changed to address power levels, added additional buildings, etc. They also added a 7 cost building that anybody can build (stays on the table) that gives you VP for however many 6 cost buildings your opponents have - essentially a way to mitigate games where 6 cost buildings don't come to you.

Ah that's good, it would be great if they updated the app to the newer version but as is I think I've had my fill of it, though even still I played it a ton. I wish they would make a Race app :(

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

EBag posted:

Ah that's good, it would be great if they updated the app to the newer version but as is I think I've had my fill of it, though even still I played it a ton. I wish they would make a Race app :(

I don't know what app you use to play San Juan, but the cathedral is definitely available in the Condado android app.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I was playing the official SJ app. I'll check it out thanks

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
How hard would it be to play Battle Cry (civil war Memoir 44) with something like the overlord rules from m44? Has anybody done it?

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I'll check out the Warhammer game.

I'm soloing WH now and one thing I've found is that it is pretty brutal at the recommended 2 character solo level. But you can play solo just as easily with three characters per the normal rules, and it seems more balanced to me.

It's a pretty good game although I don't think there is much replay value compared with something like Mage Knight.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

I just found out there was a Spaceteam board game. Usually I would purchase immediately but u heard it was co-created by one of the Exploding Kittens guys. Anyone have a trip report?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

dishwasherlove posted:

I just found out there was a Spaceteam board game. Usually I would purchase immediately but u heard it was co-created by one of the Exploding Kittens guys. Anyone have a trip report?

It is apparently not as good as just playing the digital version.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

dishwasherlove posted:

It has its ups and downs compared to the digital.

Events like not speaking or not using thumbs are amusing. Not having to flip a giant tablet. Being able to win.

Other events are less fun (saying somebody's name thrice). The difficulty is wildly swingy since the game ends on finding 6 cards that are shuffled into the players' decks, sometimes they're just all near the top.

I hate playing phone games (possibly related to my phone being old/cheap/bad) so I greatly prefer the card game, but even then I only rate it a 6 of 10 or so (3 for Exploding Kittens, for reference). If you and your friends really like the digital version you probably shouldn't bother.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Fair enough. Happy to just play the app and then Space Alert or Galaxy Trucker I think.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

PerniciousKnid posted:

How hard would it be to play Battle Cry (civil war Memoir 44) with something like the overlord rules from m44? Has anybody done it?

Commands and Colours has rules for 2-map 8 player games as well so you are probably fine to double up on units and terrain and use the Overlord command rules.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MikeCrotch posted:

Commands and Colours has rules for 2-map 8 player games as well so you are probably fine to double up on units and terrain and use the Overlord command rules.

That's new. Epic Ancients is six player on an extended map.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
My local Trad Games club is wanting to pick up a couple of board games. What we need:

a) ideally scalable between, say, 3-7 players, without it becoming too much of a ball-ache
b) easily teachable
c) not of epic length - 2 hours, maybe 2.5 at a push

Basically, what I'm looking for is 7 Wonders, but we already have that (it's awesome, we just need something else like it now!)

edit - I forgot to add, there's some grizzled grognards that attend, things like Dixit/Resistance/Spyfall/Codenames would NOT go down well.

Nique
May 18, 2006

Steampunk rally might be a good fit.

Plays up to 8, scales well, takes less than 2 hours. I think it could be considered fairly easy to learn.

Nique fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 26, 2016

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yoshimo posted:

My local Trad Games club is wanting to pick up a couple of board games. What we need:

a) ideally scalable between, say, 3-7 players, without it becoming too much of a ball-ache
b) easily teachable
c) not of epic length - 2 hours, maybe 2.5 at a push

Basically, what I'm looking for is 7 Wonders, but we already have that (it's awesome, we just need something else like it now!)

edit - I forgot to add, there's some grizzled grognards that attend, things like Dixit/Resistance/Spyfall/Codenames would NOT go down well.

Going up to seven is a problem, because I can think of several sixes that fit the bill but few games go to seven and aren't social.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Yoshimo posted:

Even grogs like resistance, from my experience. What's their problem with these kinds of games?
I'd go for Steampunk Rally too.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Just checked out Steampunk Rally and it looks pretty good, I'll be adding that to my short-list!

I agree it's infuriating - I have always said two games of 3-4 players is better than one game of 7. However we generally don't know how many people will be turning up on a night, and some of the players also play in an RPG campaign. Six players would probably be enough to cover most eventualities though so I'm interested to hear some 6-player suggestions!

For the record, I love Dixit/Resistance/Spyfall/Codenames! However there's a lot of old-school wargamers/board-gamers who are wary of anything that heavily involves social interaction and bluffing. Dixit was universally panned because "it wasn't a real board game." I would love nothing more than if we could play those games, but you play with the gamers you've got...

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Yoshimo posted:

Just checked out Steampunk Rally and it looks pretty good, I'll be adding that to my short-list!

I agree it's infuriating - I have always said two games of 3-4 players is better than one game of 7. However we generally don't know how many people will be turning up on a night, and some of the players also play in an RPG campaign. Six players would probably be enough to cover most eventualities though so I'm interested to hear some 6-player suggestions!

For the record, I love Dixit/Resistance/Spyfall/Codenames! However there's a lot of old-school wargamers/board-gamers who are wary of anything that heavily involves social interaction and bluffing. Dixit was universally panned because "it wasn't a real board game." I would love nothing more than if we could play those games, but you play with the gamers you've got...

Mysterium is, essentially, Dixit with a much stronger "game" component, I'd at least give it a try.

Also thirding Steampunk Rally. It's great!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Six player suggestions: Viticulture, Hyperborea, Euphoria, Evolution. If you had three hours Eclipse would be an option, but you don't.

Seven player suggestions: Between Two Cities, two copies of The Gallerist and shut the gently caress up you groggy bastards.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I'm gonna keep recommending Dark Moon for 3-7p under 2 hours.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Played my first game of Kemet last night with 5. 4 of us had never played before, one had played once. I came in second to the guy who had played before - we both had 8 points but he won due to the most combats won tie breaker. What a fantastic game - easily top 3 DOAM game.

After that I broke out Puerto Rico. I hadn't played in years and two of the guys at the meetup had never played it even though they've been boardgaming for years. It held up really well. It helped that one of the guys is a RftG fanatic, so he was able to immediately get the game.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is a lot of fun too if we're riding roughshod over grogs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I watched all of Rahdo's Uwe videos, and now I really want Loyang, Merkator, and Glass Road.

I guess I kinda want Caverna too, but I could get two games for the price of one Caverna.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

I watched all of Rahdo's Uwe videos, and now I really want Loyang, Merkator, and Glass Road.

I guess I kinda want Caverna too, but I could get two games for the price of one Caverna.

I really really like Loyang. It has a nice puzzle feel to it which I love in a solo game.

Maybe I can get another playthrough in after todays Merkator.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

You must already own Patchwork?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah honestly, 3-7 means you really want 3-6 and if you get 7 players split into 3 and 4 both of which are better numbers for games anyway.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

djfooboo posted:

I don't, but... the gameplay doesn't look like much fun for a single player.

Selecta84 posted:

I really really like Loyang. It has a nice puzzle feel to it which I love in a solo game.

Maybe I can get another playthrough in after todays Merkator.

gently caress, I can't find Loyang anywhere. I want it pretty bad, but it's not in stock anywhere, not on eBay, and prices on BGG are silly.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

djfooboo posted:

I will second this. If you haven't also taken a look at Patchwork, it's a great 2 player game.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about solo game variants. Yeah, wouldn't work for that, but I'm still leaving this here, because everyone should pick this game up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Patchwork has a great app now for $3. Everyone buy it.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

COOL CORN posted:

gently caress, I can't find Loyang anywhere. I want it pretty bad, but it's not in stock anywhere, not on eBay, and prices on BGG are silly.

I was pretty happy when I found it in Facebook second hand board game Group cause yeah, the ebay and bgg prices where insane

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Just get Agricola, its like getting 4x the game for 1/2 the price.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Can we just ban Rutibex from making recommendations at this point?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Rutibex posted:

I don't really like Agricola :\

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

post the ratios Rutibex

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

COOL CORN posted:

I sort of accidentally acquired 2 Loyangs through a mathtrade, so if you're in Europe we might be able to work something out.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bottom Liner posted:

Can we just ban Rutibex from making recommendations at this point?

He's right though

COOL CORN posted:

I played Glass Road a few times, and while I enjoyed it, I'm not sure how much longevity it would have. The "there are 15 workers, pick 5 of them, play 3 of those and hope your opponents play the other 2" setup is cool, but it pretty quickly felt like you were just wrong if you didn't draft all the build-a-building workers every round.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

House Louse posted:

post the ratios Rutibex

My theory of Game Value™ has evolved to include some more important factors than simple weight. To calculate a games value, you must look at both the number of "Discrete Gameplay Elements" (individual unique cards or tiles or whatever) per dollar, but also "Gameplay Element Interdependence Factor". Bulk weight of the game pre dollar is also a factor, or course, as you still want to obtain your plastic and cardboard at the best possible rate.

For example Mage Knight has about 170 unique cards + 40 Tokens + 20 Map tiles + 2 rule books and costs $88.35 am Amazon right now. So that is 232 gameplay elements in total, with a raw value of $0.38 per gameplay element. Mage Knight has a very high "Gameplay Element Interdependence Factor" though, I think it would be fair to give it a factor of at least 3.6x, bringing the value of Mage Knight to $0.11 per gameplay element.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Managing to go from +1 to +13 culture per turn in a single turn in new Through the Ages feels pretty good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I've played a few games of Terra Mystica two player now and I understand a lot more about why people don't recommend it for 2p. That said, we've found that the game ends up running just fine if you house rule that the pre-game settlements placed during setup need to be on the central "island" of the board - it really allows you to ramp up the pressure quickly when you want and keeps things flowing.

On an unrelated note I have a craving to buy Twilight Imperium and start up a yearly game day for it with some friends, someone talk me out of it before I drop another $70-99 on a game I'll rarely if ever get to actually play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Ryoshi posted:

I've played a few games of Terra Mystica two player now and I understand a lot more about why people don't recommend it for 2p. That said, we've found that the game ends up running just fine if you house rule that the pre-game settlements placed during setup need to be on the central "island" of the board - it really allows you to ramp up the pressure quickly when you want and keeps things flowing.

On an unrelated note I have a craving to buy Twilight Imperium and start up a yearly game day for it with some friends, someone talk me out of it before I drop another $70-99 on a game I'll rarely if ever get to actually play.

You got one life to live man, do you really want to spend it without having one of the best boardgames?