Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Dabir posted:

Is there a planet in 63 G with at least three moons? We name that one Goat.

I'm sure that somewhere amongst the 400 billion systems there's a black hole orbited by ten planets. One will have a ring.

And it shall be named goatse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Outposts don't have security, full stop.

Incorrect. There are things called 'military outposts' that are actually loaded with poo poo just itching to scan you as soon as you get near the outpost. Found out the hard way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

xiansi posted:

I'm sure that somewhere amongst the 400 billion systems there's a black hole orbited by ten planets. One will have a ring.

And it shall be named goatse.

:stare:
This needs to happen.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

nippythefish posted:

Incorrect. There are things called 'military outposts' that are actually loaded with poo poo just itching to scan you as soon as you get near the outpost. Found out the hard way.

My first ever smuggling mission from Robigo was to one of these :negative:

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

RabidWeasel posted:

My first ever smuggling mission from Robigo was to one of these :negative:

Mine too. :smithicide:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

That's brutal, I had no idea.

Here's what I've been up to all night: http://imgur.com/a/MIVGa http://i.imgur.com/hREFHQc.png http://imgur.com/a/lobzy

Finally caught up to the Distant Worlds expedition and am in place for tomorrow's meetup. Feels good to actually loving land somewhere, after something like 25 hours of witchspace

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Looks like the story slowly starts rolling: According to GalNet, one of the escape pods collected by Zacharia Hudson's CG contained old President Halsey.

She is in an artificially induced coma now until Frontier's plot demands her to spout exposition her wounds are healed.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Made enough money to upgrade to a Cobra. Is it worth keeping my old Adder around, as maybe a dedicated ship for mining or exploration or something?

Also, is it worth buying a Sidewinder and flying it the hundred-ish light-years to Li Yong Rui territory to buy and outfit the Cobra?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Made enough money to upgrade to a Cobra. Is it worth keeping my old Adder around, as maybe a dedicated ship for mining or exploration or something?

Also, is it worth buying a Sidewinder and flying it the hundred-ish light-years to Li Yong Rui territory to buy and outfit the Cobra?

Use your adder to get to LYR territory, then sell it there and buy your cobra. Adders have super respectable jump range when stripped down, as do Haulers if a max FSD Adder is too pricey. No reason to travel in a Sidewinder if you don't have to

You can keep the adder if you want, but they're available cheaply everywhere, and given that they're both multirole ships the cobra is pretty much a straight upgrade in all areas. It's a ship you'll probably love for a long time, I wish I'd spent more time in one

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Feb 26, 2016

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010
As far as I can tell cobra is one of those ships that you never get rid of. Same as Python and asp explorer.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wozbo posted:

As far as I can tell cobra is one of those ships that you never get rid of. Same as Python and asp explorer.

Eventually, everything costing less than 1 million becomes easily purchasable on a whim so no real reason to keep it around. The only hulls I always keep are my python and fdl because losing 10% on 50 millions stings, but losing 50k or so on selling a cobra is literally nothing when I can blast 100k bounty pirates in 30 seconds, and it's easier to actually rebuy it where I happen to be rather than traveling possibly a hundred ly to wherever I have it stored.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 26, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
It can also be a matter of convenience for not having to refit. Tracking down exactly the modules you want can be annoying sometimes. Stations seem particularly temperamental about life support, sensors, and bulkheads.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is there a better way to "favorite" systems other than writing them down somewhere or storing a marker sidewinder there?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there a better way to "favorite" systems other than writing them down somewhere or storing a marker sidewinder there?

Nope.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

timn posted:

It can also be a matter of convenience for not having to refit. Tracking down exactly the modules you want can be annoying sometimes. Stations seem particularly temperamental about life support, sensors, and bulkheads.

From what i can tell, those pretty much exclusively appear in stations that also sell the ship you're outfitting. I suppose it makes some kind of sense: bulkheads at least are invasive changes to the very fabric of the ship, so you're almost buying a different version of that same ship rather than outfitting it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

By the same token, I'm guessing that there's even less of a way to get a good sense of what systems you've visited other than writing every one of them down and/or hovering over the fickle stars in the galaxy map? It would be such a good filter for them to implement…

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

timn posted:

https://eddb.io/station

Since I started using eddb to find refit points I sell any hull under 10 mil. Making back that lost million off a 10mil hull is an hour in an RES, and that's if you're in a viper/DBS spacepoor ship. To me that's way more convenient than having a galaxy map littered with mothballed hulls, or having to fit a travel ship to fly back to wherever my cobra/adder/asp is parked, sell the hauler, and then fly the parked ship to another refit point.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 26, 2016

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Tippis posted:

By the same token, I'm guessing that there's even less of a way to get a good sense of what systems you've visited other than writing every one of them down and/or hovering over the fickle stars in the galaxy map? It would be such a good filter for them to implement…

There's a pretty rad third party tool for this called EDDiscovery, it logs the systems you visit, gives you a place to scribble notes about them, and auto-converts screenshots you take while it's open to a useful format. It's made for exploration, but would work fine in the bubble too.

Edit: Tried to edit this into my last post, somehow managed to double post instead. God I need sleep :cripes:

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Feb 26, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Well, Spacebook does give you a place where to bookmark them, but so far an in-game bookmark system is still something that may or may not be implemented in the future.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

https://eddb.io/station

Since I started using eddb to find refit points I sell any hull under 10 mil. Making back that lost million off a 10mil hull is an hour in an RES, and that's if you're in a viper/DBS spacepoor ship. To me that's way more convenient than having a galaxy map littered with mothballed hulls, or having to fit a travel ship to fly back to wherever my cobra/adder/asp is parked, sell the hauler, and then fly the parked ship to another refit point.

Actually doing everything that involves switching ships is a pain. When will they implement a ship delivery service? I want to keep hulls already outfitted around, but I don't want to manually fly out and retrieve them...

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

TorakFade posted:

Actually doing everything that involves switching ships is a pain. When will they implement a ship delivery service? I want to keep hulls already outfitted around, but I don't want to manually fly out and retrieve them...

No kidding, half the reason I'm doing Distant Worlds is to get Elite in exploration and use Jameson Memorial station as a catch-all storage dump.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

The game does log where you're going, you'll just need to manually switch on verbose logging after every patch. Also you need to import the logs into Inara to turn them into something readable by a human being.

Just add VerboseLogging="1" to the Network-section in your App-xml file. (The one you can find for your product in your product folder.)

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

There's a pretty rad third party tool for this called EDDiscovery, it logs the systems you visit, gives you a place to scribble notes about them, and auto-converts screenshots you take while it's open to a useful format. It's made for exploration, but would work fine in the bubble too.

Edit: Tried to edit this into my last post, somehow managed to double post instead. God I need sleep :cripes:

I was just thinking about something like this over the past few weeks after eyeing the cryptic notes I've scribbled down on multiple pieces of paper over the past year I've been playing.

There's so many 3rd party options that are filling gaps that Frontier missed for having the game tell your story.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

radintorov posted:

Well, Spacebook does give you a place where to bookmark them, but so far an in-game bookmark system is still something that may or may not be implemented in the future.

Oh well, but in the meantime I like my dumb little workaround. It's not great but it works, and it kinda feels like space Monopoly.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Libluini posted:

The game does log where you're going, you'll just need to manually switch on verbose logging after every patch. Also you need to import the logs into Inara to turn them into something readable by a human being.

Just add VerboseLogging="1" to the Network-section in your App-xml file. (The one you can find for your product in your product folder.)

Neat. I'll definite check those out. It's still a bit annoying to have to refer to a second application (and/or second screen) rather than the integrated map, but it looks like it'll be a vast improvement over the jumble of .txt files I've used so far. :D

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Clapping Larry

Wozbo posted:

I actually got rid of my Cobra way back when 'cause I needed the cash, but I'm going to get a new one just for nostalgia, and also to try out the Onionhead paintjob which is on a 40% off sale right now (along with tonnes of other paint jobs).

As a bonus, this comes with the bombed-out smiley decals which can be used on any of your ships :getin:

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

xiansi posted:

I actually got rid of my Cobra way back when 'cause I needed the cash, but I'm going to get a new one just for nostalgia, and also to try out the Onionhead paintjob which is on a 40% off sale right now (along with tonnes of other paint jobs).

As a bonus, this comes with the bombed-out smiley decals which can be used on any of your ships :getin:

I like how it costs $4.20.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Turmoil posted:

I like how it costs $4.20.

As a :britain: citizen who once lived in California, I actually get that!

Blazin' £3 doesn't quite work though...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
What's a good way to ease yourself back into this when you haven't played since the Vulture came out, even though I kept meaning to get back into it sooner? Preferably without pissing off a major NPC faction just for existing.

I left off with a "Just bought, never used" Vulture with Mostly A upgrades and cheapskate Large Pulse Lasers way back then, I can afford to crash it a few times before I go running back to my Cobra 3 or Type-7 for financial reasons. Though I was never a "Good" Pilot and now AI's travel in Wings and such, so explosionsville is my likely destination, which I at least will know is my own fault.

I guess I do have my old goal of rising up the Naval ranks of both the Feds and Empire, so hopefully this many patches later I won't go months working for either without getting a new rank mission.

Also, is the Cobra 4 as Mediocre as I think it is, except for it's price point compared to anything else that can have that many guns and internal slots at the same time (and still have a not poo poo jump range)?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Section Z posted:

What's a good way to ease yourself back into this when you haven't played since the Vulture came out, even though I kept meaning to get back into it sooner? Preferably without pissing off a major NPC faction just for existing.

I left off with a "Just bought, never used" Vulture with Mostly A upgrades and cheapskate Large Pulse Lasers way back then, I can afford to crash it a few times before I go running back to my Cobra 3 or Type-7 for financial reasons. Though I was never a "Good" Pilot and now AI's travel in Wings and such, so explosionsville is my likely destination, which I at least will know is my own fault.

I guess I do have my old goal of rising up the Naval ranks of both the Feds and Empire, so hopefully this many patches later I won't go months working for either without getting a new rank mission.

Also, is the Cobra 4 as Mediocre as I think it is, except for it's price point compared to anything else that can have that many guns and internal slots at the same time (and still have a not poo poo jump range)?

Ask in discord for some goons to take you bounty hunting in a hazres.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

Ask in discord for some goons to take you bounty hunting in a hazres.

I don't know if that's actually good advice, especially if he's already got a vulture. He doesn't need money, he needs practice and a reason to keep playing. Having someone hold his hand won't teach him anything.

I'd hop in a high res, and fool around there killing anything that moves until you're comfortable entering a hazres. You should be safe but somewhat challenged as a vulture in a High. If you get blown up enough to have to fall back on the cobra you can always try long range smuggling for a fun and lucrative change of pace.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I don't know if that's actually good advice, especially if he's already got a vulture. He doesn't need money, he needs practice and a reason to keep playing. Having someone hold his hand won't teach him anything.

I'd hop in a high res, and fool around there killing anything that moves until you're comfortable entering a hazres. You should be safe but somewhat challenged as a vulture in a High. If you get blown up enough to have to fall back on the cobra you can always try long range smuggling for a fun and lucrative change of pace.

If he's going solo he can still take on hazreses in a vulture, the trick is to have an empty cargo hold and you'll be able to pick and choose your engagements. Limit your targets to things that aren't in a wing or wings you know you can take out quickly and you'll be fine.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

If he's going solo he can still take on hazreses in a vulture, the trick is to have an empty cargo hold and you'll be able to pick and choose your engagements. Limit your targets to things that aren't in a wing or wings you know you can take out quickly and you'll be fine.

Good point.

As for navy rank, you can now see your progress towards the next promotion, which makes the whole thing a lot easier. The mystery of when you can expect a promotion is gone, and there's a lot more information out now about efficient rank grinding

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A well-fit Vulture is incredibly safe in a hazres. You can easily jump any single ship, and wings are free as long as you let them pick a fight first and destroy the weak ones first. There's really no reason to ever die.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Goon stuff is great advice in general, and I probably should look up the DF base sooner rather than later both on principle, and for how you can still do small stuff to help it without diving into PvP. I do mostly PvE stuff because of interruptions and sporadic playing, as much as my habit of multitasking :v:

I mean, if I was more consistent in just sitting down and giving my full focus to ED for hours at a time then I'd totally hop into a ship I can afford to lose and shoot at what I'm told to (and swiftly explode). But even casual rear end PvE mans can truck stuff or shoot at conflict AIs on their own time if it's convenient for Frogs.

I really wish there were more"As versatile and with as good jump range as the Cobra" ships across a larger price range. I spent a lot of time in a Viper during the Betas and the lower jump range just for better maneuverability and fields of fire always drove me crazy :v: The Vulture's more notable increase in combat ability is much more appealing for me to deal with the lower jump ranges, and still costs a hell of a lot less to kit out or replace than an ASP which I had cooled off on after how "Wanted Asp=Easiest credits per effort" was going for me flying even an Eagle back then.

EDIT: Oh right, still have to install horizons :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 27, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Astroniomix posted:

To put this tip into perspective, you can take on hazreses in an Eagle or if you're willing to wait for target that are occupied by someone else shooting them (which happens pretty much all the time… so little actual waiting is needed). Hell, you can do it in a Sidewinder, but you'd better be really sure that they stay focused on someone else at that point. :haw:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I traded in my A class Eagle for a Cobra Mk 3. I love the feeling of the larger, roomier cockpit but wish I had a space chikka to hang out in the other seat. The keyboard on the side is a nice touch and it would be great if things like that were functional (I have no idea what for, but I want to press all of the buttons).

Initially outfitted for hauling, but the returns were too low so I switched over to autocannons and beam lasers and am back hunting pirates in Ix. The ship feels sluggish compared to the Eagle, but isn't bad to fly and definitely deals out a much faster beating.

Worst experience flying it so far is getting used to the width. I've clipped the right side of the mailslot at frogbase twice - embarrassingly - and I'm hoping that no other frogs saw that happen.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
25% percent away from my last rank for federal before I can buy a corvette. Grinding donation missions has left me a broken man. This thing better be good when I finally get in the stupid expensive bugger.

Thanks to the dude who posted a corvette build, still haven't worked out how I'm going to fit mine but gave me some ideas. Do we have any idea on timescales for the new huge weapons being patched in? The PA's are nice and all but I need gigantic rear end multicannons in my life.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

DeadGame posted:

Worst experience flying it so far is getting used to the width. I've clipped the right side of the mailslot at frogbase twice - embarrassingly - and I'm hoping that no other frogs saw that happen.
If you aren't smashing into things while entering and leaving dock you aren't flying the Frog way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

radintorov posted:

If you aren't smashing into things while entering and leaving dock you aren't flying the Frog way.

This. With any not-poo poo shields you can basically slam into the mailslot badly and be fine anyway.

Always boost all the time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010

KM Scorchio posted:

25% percent away from my last rank for federal before I can buy a corvette. Grinding donation missions has left me a broken man. This thing better be good when I finally get in the stupid expensive bugger.

Thanks to the dude who posted a corvette build, still haven't worked out how I'm going to fit mine but gave me some ideas. Do we have any idea on timescales for the new huge weapons being patched in? The PA's are nice and all but I need gigantic rear end multicannons in my life.

Hang in there, it's worth it. The huge weapons are coming in 2.1 which is slated for "spring".

The beauty of outfitting the corvette is that you can more or less do whatever and still be the meanest, toughest comp stomper in the game. If you fit a minimum of a big cargo rack, fuel tank or fuel scoop, and an SRV hangar you can joyride around the bubble doing whatever pleases you while still being armed and armored to the teeth.

• Locked thread