Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

side_burned posted:

Anyone have experience lifting and running while grappling 4 days a week. I am planning on joining a judo/bjj gym soon and at moment I am trying to run 3 times a week and do Starting Strength 3 days; is that even possible.

I run a 5k home from work or judo. I do judo 3 or 4 times a week, and lift 2 or 3 times a week. It's not heavy lifting though, its bodyweight stuff mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

side_burned posted:

Anyone have experience lifting and running while grappling 4 days a week. I am planning on joining a judo/bjj gym soon and at moment I am trying to run 3 times a week and do Starting Strength 3 days; is that even possible.

Lifting heavy might make you feel like a wet noodle on the mat, but it can be done. I found recovery to be my biggest challenge, and I'm pretty sure by the end of summer I was over training (cycling, lifting and bjj), and started getting sick/injured a lot. Maybe try to limit yourself to two workouts a day? Or do cardio and bjj/judo on the same days?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah, lifting heavy can be tough when you're training often since your body needs to be able to recover or you risk injury. Stuff like running and cardio can be done more consistently. Mostly just pay attention to how you feel and rest when you need to rather than being dogmatic about an exercise schedule. When I go to the gym I focus more on things like circuit training and balance than really big lifts. Developing really good balance goes a long way towards improving functional strength in grappling anyway.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 10, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

side_burned posted:

Yes, but you need to be fairly disciplined with your rest day(s), or you'll burn out very quickly. If you are already running and lifting and are conditioned to that, then you probably just need to dial down the intensity on both, once you start the judo.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Depending on how heavy things you lift you might also want to consider a less taxing strength training routine. Something like 5/3/1 by Jim Wendel which I'm doing while training for a tri and doing some MA on the side.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

side_burned posted:

Before my spinal injury, I used to train BJJ 5-6 days a week, run 7 days a week and lift 6 days a week without an issue. I kept that schedule for 2 years until my neck injury. The one caveat is that I've had an extremely fast recovery time my entire life and so I'm not sure my schedule would work for other people.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

not much bro, you?

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

not much bro, you?

I got sick, so no BJJ for me :(. Also, I'm terrible at no gi, but I figure I might as well look good.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I've got tickets to watch Polaris 3 with some mates, three rows from the front. This is going to be loving crazy, Tonon vs Palhares is the most ethically shady match-up I could ever hope to watch. One of those guys is taking advantage of our free healthcare system that evening, for sure.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

de la peche posted:

I've got tickets to watch Polaris 3 with some mates, three rows from the front. This is going to be loving crazy, Tonon vs Palhares is the most ethically shady match-up I could ever hope to watch. One of those guys is taking advantage of our free healthcare system that evening, for sure.

I don't feel like Eddie would be the kind of guy that would hold a sub on a guy that taps.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Does this pass have a name to it? From the closed guard the top guy gets an underhook, sprawls out, and walks his way to the other side, breaking open the guard, and passing. I had a bigger brown belt do this to me twice today and I forgot to ask him about it.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Does this pass have a name to it? From the closed guard the top guy gets an underhook, sprawls out, and walks his way to the other side, breaking open the guard, and passing. I had a bigger brown belt do this to me twice today and I forgot to ask him about it.

Probably the over under pass, but someone better than me should confirm that.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

MalleusDei posted:

Probably the over under pass, but someone better than me should confirm that.

Nope the under hook isnt on my leg, its keeping me from taking his back. But its similar.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Probably Justin Garcia's ChimPass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMfKdjf0A2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQxCVjyVjlQ

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Sounds like the Tozi pass or some variant.

I've read folks refer to it as the Sau Paulo pass too.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Odddzy posted:

I don't feel like Eddie would be the kind of guy that would hold a sub on a guy that taps.

The way I'm seeing it, Palhares isn't going to let go of the tap, and I suspect he isn't going to want to tap. The only outcome I can see is that either Tonon gets a sub on Palhares who refuses to tap (and he's never been submitted either so there's a pride element there too) and gets a blown knee, or Palhares gets one on Tonon, and as he's proven time and time again, when he gets mad he won't let go. I suppose if one of them gets a choke, it might be okay, but they both seem to be favouring the leg-lock game at the minute.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I don't understand the what-would-Eddie-do tangent.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I think he confused Tonon with Cummings. Tonon is the submission tornado, Cummings is the power bottom

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 12, 2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

origami posted:

Tozi was the first guy to use it extensively, it's more commonly called the Sao Paolo pass because it got very popular in that area for a while. Wilson Reis uses it as his go-to and is probably the highest profile guy currently doing so.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

origami posted:

Thats it! Thanks guys.

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Tozi was the first guy to use it extensively, it's more commonly called the Sao Paolo pass because it got very popular in that area for a while. Wilson Reis uses it as his go-to and is probably the highest profile guy currently doing so.

I had too look this up, by we were shown a variation of this a while back where we take the under hook arm and trap the free arm under the other guy after we kill the hips. I got triangled a bunch and gave up, but maybe I'll try it again.

I heard underhook and immediately though over under, but I'm a fresh blue belt, so I don't know poo poo.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
NBA player Blake Griffin got into a fight with an equipment manager. The two guys in the center:

Even though Griffin pounded the other guy's face and bruised him up good, Griffin came away with a spiral fracture in his hand. Really highlights how fragile those bones are.
Granted, I was surprised there wasn't at least a broken nose or even eye orbit, but still.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Thats it! Thanks guys.

Emily Kwok does some passes that involve a similar mechanic where you get an undertook an then sprawl off center to wreck guards. I learned a half guard pass at a seminar she taught that sounds almost exactly like what you first described. Here's a video of her teaching a similar one to shut dow a deep-half attempt: http://youtu.be/9ZyVW4EWzfY

Emily Kwok is great in general if you're smaller and looking to deal with larger opponents/partners.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Really? Thanks. Been thinking I should try to get more focused on training techniques for smaller people, considering everyone (almost) I roll with has a lot of size, strength and weight on me (I'm 5 10, 73kg).

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I tried that Tozi/Chim/Sao Paulo pass a few times this weekend. It worked well on smaller folks but on larger folks it mostly resulted in getting omaplataed. Gonna have to watch more videos.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I tried that Tozi/Chim/Sao Paulo pass a few times this weekend. It worked well on smaller folks but on larger folks it mostly resulted in getting omaplataed. Gonna have to watch more videos.

Yes and when I tried it my guy cross faced me super hard so I couldnt get good head position and he used this to wriggle his leg free to prevent me from "killing his hips".

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
We've had a breakdown in who we normally use for uniforms at my Aikido club, so I'm trying to find a good place to get something very peculiar. Most of the year, it's stupid hot here, and the place gets pretty warm despite being inside an air-conditioned building. I'm trying to find a generally very light uniform that needs to just be sturdy enough for the occasional collar and sleeve grabs. I only want a uniform top; I tend to just wear shorts under the hakama, so I skip on the pants. I am looking for something with the waffle/seersucker weave. I typically use a karate top, but I think that's a little too weak for handling people latching on.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Got a bronze medal in my first ever judo tournament at the weekend, under 66kg novices.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Rabhadh posted:

Got a bronze medal in my first ever judo tournament at the weekend, under 66kg novices.

Congrats, that's great!

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Went to a seminar by Lucio Sergio Dos Santos last weekend. Really nice guy, loads of great closed guard stuff. If you ever get a chance, well worth it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Anyone experience a run of injuries? I broke my thumb in fencing in late November Which kept me out till the new year, then I hurt my left shoulder in judo which kept me out for a while then my first session back to judo after a bad cold and I break my clavicle. It's getting me a bit down I'm closer to 40 than 30 and it's taking me a while to heal, also breaking your clavicle sucks big time.

Rabhadh posted:

Good work, congrats.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Ultragonk posted:

Anyone experience a run of injuries?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Ultragonk posted:

Anyone experience a run of injuries?

Haven't broken anything yet but I've been on the verge of elbow tendinitis for more than a month now and my my left thumb is permanently taped. I just ask the people I'm rolling with to go easy. This is probably the worst way.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Since just before Christmas I've sprained both knees (which seem to take about eight weeks to heal), I've hurt my right index finger so I can't grip properly, broke a little toe (third time), and had someone's gi get wrapped around my head, force my eyelid open, then scratch the gently caress out of my left eye, leading to me getting an ulcerated cornea. But on the other hand I'm not bored sat at home.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

fatherdog posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Tell the man

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Rabhadh posted:

Haven't broken anything yet but I've been on the verge of elbow tendinitis for more than a month now and my my left thumb is permanently taped. I just ask the people I'm rolling with to go easy. This is probably the worst way.

Starting doing tendonitis rehab now. My elbow tendonitis flared up a few years ago to the point that I couldn't hold anything in my right hand for months. It didn't get back to normal until last summer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Was advised to ask this question here:

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've recently started BJJ. I've only been going for maybe three weeks, but It's good fun and there is a good sense of camaraderie in the classes. However, I think my main problem (aside from having trouble remembering techniques - I think that's something that will develop naturally once I've been going long enough) is that I lack a sort of "killer instinct" - everyone else can get stuck in and lean into it when they execute a hold or a throw whereas I tend to be cautious about it. Is that something that will develop as I become more confident, or is there anything I can do to condition myself to be more willing to stick the boot in?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

You've been training for three weeks, don't worry about it. Caution is good, especially when you're new.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Yeah, go slow. Some new guys that aren't really active in day to day life are oftentimes super uncoordinated and don't necessarily understand the physical nuance between being rough and technical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The guy I was sparring with in class yesterday was telling me he felt like I was afraid I was going to hurt him with the choke hold we were practising; I think that about sums it up at the minute. I'm not used to doing anything that's "violent" so I suppose it will just take a bit of getting used to. I need to become more confident, but that's a big part of the reason I'm going.

Regardless, I am proud to be giving it a go. When I was in my "physical wreck" phase last summer, before I started getting out to the gym regularly, I wouldn't have believed you for a second. Compared to that, even signing up to give it a try is a small achievement.

• Locked thread