Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There was a Let's Play of the game DanganRonpa that was bringing in an absurd number of lurkers. Lowtax turned on the paywall halfway through the game and drove people loving nuts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9my5iodfEc

I have a friend who uses tumblr and relayed the entire meltdown the site was having over this. It was a fantastic day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

We are getting bombarded with them. Some people are seeing 20+ a day. We use Google Apps and so far every one is ending up in the spam folder with the attachment blocked.

I sent out a mass email telling people to NOT open anything in their SPAM folder. I hesitated before I did though, thinking it would actually cause someone to do so.

But we also use LibreOffice, so at the very least the macro based ones wouldn't be able to work!

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

stevewm posted:

We are getting bombarded with them. Some people are seeing 20+ a day.

The first infection was from someone in the with access to some network drives...

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 20, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

sfwarlock posted:

I just met someone who does tracert -h 50 bad.horse:
I like how most of the fancy new TLDs are used for gimmick stuff like this and http://grover.house. Money well spent.

e: If someone doesn't get the bad horse reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X1VjGsZeyw

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Is there a common tech/support name for "I didn't know what it was so I deleted it" syndrome? I feel like I need to diagnose some folk.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Quoting this for visibility. It's the second or third time it has come up since patch Tuesday.
It's been almost every Patch Tuesday for the past six months or so, some people just have a very short attention span.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

pixaal posted:

That isn't your job, it is their job to save their work. It is their job to make sure they save stuff. Let the user get fired. If you keep saving them they will abuse you until one day they gently caress it up so bad and stare blankly as you can't save them from the crypto infection they just got.

I hear you, but at the same time, we've all been there, hell, I've gone a little too far in Fallout 4 or Xcom 2 without remembering to save.

I mean, I'm imagining if I could just automate a standard "Save" command to trigger across all the office apps every minute or two, then at least the Version History from Sharepoint or OneDrive would take care of the rest and build a huge changelog for everyone. I'm so frazzled because while it might not be my job to save negligent users from themselves, it's definitely Microsoft's job, and they keep screwing the pooch so I'm gonna have to fix it for them.

Edit: That Excel crash is ABSOLUTELY affecting 2016, even if people are saying it's not. Mine just crashed 2 seconds ago when I tabbed to it to check autorecover settings, and when it came back up it said it has updates to install.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 25, 2016

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

stevewm posted:

That took some dedication and/or someone was incredibly bored at work.

It doesn't take long. What amuseimpresshorrifies me is that those are all public IPs. No 10.0.0.0/8 network for THIS project...

Collateral Damage posted:

I like how most of the fancy new TLDs are used for gimmick stuff like this and http://grover.house. Money well spent.

I wonder if whoever did this set up a second one for the second song and what the domain name might be...

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Feb 26, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

sfwarlock posted:

It doesn't take long. What amuseimpresshorrifies me is that those are all public IPs. No 10.0.0.0/8 network for THIS project...
If you think that's bad, try xmas.futile.net with ~200 hops.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
My users with Word 2016 are having that crash issue. In some cases not autosaves are written.

Bad times.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Why does Youtube tell me this isn't available in the US? Is there a mirror somewhere so I can see what this is about?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Swink posted:

My users with Word 2016 are having that crash issue. In some cases not autosaves are written.

Bad times.

Yeah that's the main thing, the autosaves definitely aren't getting written.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Why does Youtube tell me this isn't available in the US? Is there a mirror somewhere so I can see what this is about?

Try https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN2U5wkhRWc

E:

anthonypants posted:

If you think that's bad, try xmas.futile.net with ~200 hops.

code:
 21   157 ms   158 ms   159 ms  ccr1009.futile.net [93.89.84.75]
 22  ccr1009.futile.net [93.89.84.75]  reports: Destination host unreachable.

Trace complete.
?

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 26, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I guess it's down now, but it used to be this: https://gist.github.com/blakecrosby/1731bcddec0897e1c23d

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A bizarre failure. Workstation wouldn't power on, no light, etc. Its plugged in, surge protector is on and plugged in and working. Gotta be PSU right? Nope, surge protector will not longer pass enough go-juice to turn the computer on.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
well, technically, that computer is probably safe as gently caress from surges.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

go3 posted:

A bizarre failure. Workstation wouldn't power on, no light, etc. Its plugged in, surge protector is on and plugged in and working. Gotta be PSU right? Nope, surge protector will not longer pass enough go-juice to turn the computer on.

guess it had a surge that it protected against

dorkanoid
Dec 21, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

All of a sudden three people in finance all in different days this week have all had Excel freeze on them, and they've lost a few hours of work.

All of them are set up with Windows 10, Excel 2016, auto-recover saves every 10 minutes (the default), and every document they have is being worked on out of a mapped Sharepoint drive with complete version history.

What in the gently caress is going on that I still can't find their work in the autorecovery folder or the version history, and what can I do to their PCs to make this poo poo 100% failproof? I don't care if I script them to automatically save an alternate copy into a random folder every 60 seconds. How has Microsoft not figured this out since Office 2003?

I wonder if this is the same issue we've been having - it's not that Excel freezes, but the screen stops updating; you can actually use all features in Excel (and open new, working XLS files), but anything you had open will just display blank/whatever was visible when the problem started.

It's possible to save with Ctrl-S, some parts of the screen still update so you can navigate cells, type in formulas, etc. If you wait something like 15-20 minutes it starts updating the screen again. Anyone seen something like that?

e: both 2013 and 2016, so I'm not sure if it's the KB above. Seems to affect a single user mostly, but I've seen it on my computer (I don't use Excel as heavily as the other users).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

dorkanoid posted:

I wonder if this is the same issue we've been having - it's not that Excel freezes, but the screen stops updating; you can actually use all features in Excel (and open new, working XLS files), but anything you had open will just display blank/whatever was visible when the problem started.

It's possible to save with Ctrl-S, some parts of the screen still update so you can navigate cells, type in formulas, etc. If you wait something like 15-20 minutes it starts updating the screen again. Anyone seen something like that?

e: both 2013 and 2016, so I'm not sure if it's the KB above. Seems to affect a single user mostly, but I've seen it on my computer (I don't use Excel as heavily as the other users).

Try disabling hardware graphics acceleration, if it's some kind of rendering problem. It's in the View section of the Advanced page in Settings.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

go3 posted:

surge protector is on and plugged in and working.

Well, obviously it wasn't though eh? Was the light working? A dead light on a surge protector means the MOV is shot and what was once a "surge protector" is now a simple power strip.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A request for UPS came in from a client. For some kind of printing machine. 1kW printing machine. Guy who had it before told them that they'll be fine with 650VA UPS, because that's what he was using.

Waiting for the inevitable fire.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stubblyhead posted:

Oh live a little, all the cool programmers are still using GOTO.

GOTO is the best because it allows for structured programming.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MisterOblivious posted:

Well, obviously it wasn't though eh? Was the light working? A dead light on a surge protector means the MOV is shot and what was once a "surge protector" is now a simple power strip.

It still passed power to a calculator and desk lamp.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Eikre posted:

well, technically, that computer is probably safe as gently caress from surges.

I doubt it. Voltage spike will probably gently caress it up real good.
Higher voltages have a way of bridging large resistances.
e.g. lightning bolts.

Had the same thing happen to a surge protector that a bunch of Christmas lights were plugged into.
A single strand of LED lights would work, but not the incandescent kind.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

sfwarlock posted:

On the other other hand, from this point forward, they can't even lurk and need to pay up just to see what they're paying for?

EDIT for ontopic:

Some people confirm network connectivity by pinging the gateway, or something like 8.8.8.8, and troubleshoot up from there.

Some people go all the way to the other end of the 7-layer OSI burrito and try to load https://www.google.com in a browser and troubleshoot down from there.

I just met someone who does tracert -h 50 bad.horse:

code:
Tracing route to bad.horse [162.252.205.157]
over a maximum of 50 hops:

(...)

13    86 ms    85 ms    84 ms  bad.horse [162.252.205.130]
 14   101 ms    88 ms    90 ms  bad.horse [162.252.205.131]
 15    95 ms    95 ms    93 ms  bad.horse [162.252.205.132]
 16   100 ms   100 ms   109 ms  bad.horse [162.252.205.133]
 17   105 ms   104 ms   106 ms  he.rides.across.the.nation [162.252.205.134]
 18   116 ms   109 ms   109 ms  the.thoroughbred.of.sin [162.252.205.135]
 19   114 ms   114 ms   114 ms  he.got.the.application [162.252.205.136]
 20   120 ms   119 ms   129 ms  that.you.just.sent.in [162.252.205.137]
 21   126 ms   123 ms   127 ms  it.needs.evaluation [162.252.205.138]
 22   131 ms   128 ms   140 ms  so.let.the.games.begin [162.252.205.139]
 23   137 ms   133 ms   135 ms  a.heinous.crime [162.252.205.140]
 24   139 ms   139 ms   141 ms  a.show.of.force [162.252.205.141]
 25   145 ms   145 ms   144 ms  a.murder.would.be.nice.of.course [162.252.205.14
2]
 26   150 ms   158 ms   149 ms  bad.horse [162.252.205.143]
 27   154 ms   155 ms   163 ms  bad.horse [162.252.205.144]
 28   159 ms   168 ms   161 ms  bad.horse [162.252.205.145]
 29   163 ms   172 ms   172 ms  he-s.bad [162.252.205.146]
 30   169 ms   170 ms   169 ms  the.evil.league.of.evil [162.252.205.147]
 31   175 ms   173 ms   175 ms  is.watching.so.beware [162.252.205.148]
 32   181 ms   179 ms   178 ms  the.grade.that.you.receive [162.252.205.149]
 33   186 ms   184 ms   184 ms  will.be.your.last.we.swear [162.252.205.150]
 34   190 ms   189 ms   188 ms  so.make.the.bad.horse.gleeful [162.252.205.151]

35   199 ms   196 ms   197 ms  or.he-ll.make.you.his.mare [162.252.205.152]
 36   200 ms   208 ms   200 ms  o_o [162.252.205.153]
 37   204 ms   203 ms   210 ms  you-re.saddled.up [162.252.205.154]
 38   211 ms   211 ms   209 ms  there-s.no.recourse [162.252.205.155]
 39   215 ms   222 ms   214 ms  it-s.hi-ho.silver [162.252.205.156]
 40   214 ms   213 ms   214 ms  signed.bad.horse [162.252.205.157]

Trace complete.

I can't get this to work. :(

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

KillHour posted:

If your trace can't get outside your local gateway your firewall might have Echo Reply blocked, so you will never get an internet tracert to resolve. You can test this by pinging 8.8.8.8 and seeing if that responds.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

KillHour posted:

Provided you are not in china, and there's not a firewall blocking you, it should work. It seems that whomever set this up is out west I think? I hit a few SLC routers, so I'm guessing seattle but I could be incorrect, kind of curious who did this.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

If your trace can't get outside your local gateway your firewall might have Echo Reply blocked, so you will never get an internet tracert to resolve. You can test this by pinging 8.8.8.8 and seeing if that responds.

Now I feel stupid because I actually knew we had that turned on. :downs:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I'm feeling the upgrade itch again ...

Currently using an old E2500 (DD-WRT) as a gateway router/firewall behind my Comcast box and I'm really tempted to upgrade to a 5505, but my wallet is saying not to.

Pros: would help me study for my CCNA, not limited to ~10 port forwards, likely better performance (current router adds ~50ms to all traffic), built-in VPN
Cons: really don't need it, $300 is $300

What do I do, goons? :ohdear:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

I'm feeling the upgrade itch again ...

Currently using an old E2500 (DD-WRT) as a gateway router/firewall behind my Comcast box and I'm really tempted to upgrade to a 5505, but my wallet is saying not to.

Pros: would help me study for my CCNA, not limited to ~10 port forwards, likely better performance (current router adds ~50ms to all traffic), built-in VPN
Cons: really don't need it, $300 is $300

What do I do, goons? :ohdear:

Don't buy an ASA. This advice holds true regardless of the situation.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KillHour posted:

Don't buy an ASA. This advice holds true regardless of the situation.
Why not? They're really widely used in the industry, and as long as you've updated the firmware after the recent exploit there shouldn't be anything wrong with them from a security perspective.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah ASAs are great devices. Now I'm not so sure about the 5500 series yet, maybe I'm just to unfamiliar with SourceFire but it doesnt seem to integrate that well with the actual ASA yet.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I haven't used them in a few years, so maybe they got better, but they just weren't as good as the competition, IMO. Most places I've seen, even majority Cisco shops, use an ISR router and stick another manufacturer's firewall next to it. Often a Juniper SRX.

Also, the 5505 is ancient by now.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I was mainly looking for something with which I could play around in the Cisco IOS and that would handle the VPN side of things. Folks in the Cisco small questions thread suggested one and linked to the $300 eBay seller that seems to just pump out orders. I know the 5505 is old but I don't know enough about their more recent products to make a determination there either.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

KillHour posted:

I haven't used them in a few years, so maybe they got better, but they just weren't as good as the competition, IMO. Most places I've seen, even majority Cisco shops, use an ISR router and stick another manufacturer's firewall next to it. Often a Juniper SRX.

Also, the 5505 is ancient by now.

The actual ASA part is as solid as ever. Sometimes the stupid ASDM is a pain to use, just because I dont know enough to know what needs to be done their as opposed to the command line.

And I can't make sense of Ciscos product lines at all, they jump product numbers and lines worse than anybody. The current device I'm working with is a pair of 5508s with the SourceFire module.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

I was mainly looking for something with which I could play around in the Cisco IOS and that would handle the VPN side of things. Folks in the Cisco small questions thread suggested one and linked to the $300 eBay seller that seems to just pump out orders. I know the 5505 is old but I don't know enough about their more recent products to make a determination there either.

I handled presales support for just about everything except Cisco back in the day (they had a dedicated team) and I haven't thought about the subject in like 3 years now, so take this with a grain of salt. But AFAIK, the ASA 5505 doesn't come with VPN licensing out of the box. Or only came with IPsec and not SSL. Or something like that. It's all on this page if you want to dig through it:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/data_sheet_c78-701253.html

:effort:

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The actual ASA part is as solid as ever. Sometimes the stupid ASDM is a pain to use, just because I dont know enough to know what needs to be done their as opposed to the command line.

And I can't make sense of Ciscos product lines at all, they jump product numbers and lines worse than anybody. The current device I'm working with is a pair of 5508s with the SourceFire module.

I can figure out model numbers without too much trouble, but gently caress their licensing and module configurations. Even simple routers and switches need to be overcomplicated with a billion options.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 26, 2016

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

KillHour posted:

I handled presales support for just about everything except Cisco back in the day (they had a dedicated team) and I haven't thought about the subject in like 3 years now, so take this with a grain of salt. But AFAIK, the ASA 5505 doesn't come with VPN licensing out of the box. Or only came with IPsec and not SSL. Or something like that. It's all on this page if you want to dig through it:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/security/asa-5500-series-next-generation-firewalls/data_sheet_c78-701253.html

This was the link I was going off of; looks like it includes the VPN licensing (no way I need more than 2 users, but that's how it goes)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FreshFeesh posted:

This was the link I was going off of; looks like it includes the VPN licensing (no way I need more than 2 users, but that's how it goes)

That should be fine. It also reminded me of why I didn't like ASAs. Until they released the x series, they couldn't do full UTM. They needed a module for each UTM feature and didn't have enough module slots for everything. So you needed to buy 2 to turn everything on. Also, I remember hot-hot failover not working correctly. Our Cisco team would tell people not to turn UTM and hot-hot failover on at the same time, for whatever reason. No idea if that was ever fixed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Judge Schnoopy posted:

You don't get echo replies from traceroute (except the last hop), you get ICMP time-exceeded errors control messages. :science:

If you don't get any replies past your firewall it's more likely that outbound echo request is blocked (which is a dumb policy).

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

You don't get echo replies from traceroute (except the last hop), you get ICMP time-exceeded errors.

Nerd

• Locked thread