Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

It's an honestly interesting case. The final battle of Heavensward was a giant FF7 nod. Sephirot could have used plenty of classic tunes for its theme, but they straight ripped off When Worlds Collide for no real reason, even when the Alexander music sounds enough like them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

but they straight ripped off When Worlds Collide for no real reason,

They really didn't. There are similarities sure but those similar aspects are pretty common things from music of this type.
Oh and the opening lyric is "what is it like" so I guess that reminded people of the other industrial rock song that say "this is what it's like"

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Augus posted:

They really didn't. There are similarities sure but those similar aspects are pretty common things from music of this type.
Oh and the opening lyric is "what is it like" so I guess that reminded people of the other industrial rock song that say "this is what it's like"

I like you, but the similarities are greater than anything Robin Thicke did inspired by Marvin Gaye.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Electric Phantasm posted:

Who was it that said that Sephirot's theme sounds like When Worlds Collide? Looks like Powerman5000 agrees.

https://www.facebook.com/officialpowerman5000/posts/1163822686963071

The guy isn't wrong.
They stole a really unimaginative song.
:rimshot:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I like you, but the similarities are greater than anything Robin Thicke did inspired by Marvin Gaye.

They really aren't. The drums are at a different beat and use different instruments. The guitars are entirely different. The 14 vocals are lower range, the Powerman ones are higher. The songs are at two different tempos.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The songs are very similar musically and in lyrical theme but also

Legin Noslen posted:

The guy isn't wrong.
They stole a really unimaginative song.
:rimshot:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
eclair farron

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Claire "Lightning "Light "Lig""" Farron

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jun 4, 2018

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Mega64 posted:

Claire "Lightning "Light "Lig""" Farron

Eclaire "Lightbulb" Ferry is a cool and interesting protagonist who certainly isn't outclassed by Resident Punch Man and Resident Gun Man.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Friendly Factory posted:

I mean, it's bad

Jesus Christ.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
That song is pretty clearly in the same vein as When World's Collide on pretty much everything, not sure how anyone can say otherwise. It's not exactly the same of course, but it's clearly more than an "inspired by".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Who was it that said that Sephirot's theme sounds like When Worlds Collide? Looks like Powerman5000 agrees.

https://www.facebook.com/officialpowerman5000/posts/1163822686963071

Lol

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The early guitar riff is similar to WWC but the whisper-then-yell vocals are more like NiN while the "say my name" part sounds more like Rammstein than Powerman 5000.

Spider's a baby and his walk-back update was funny. Either way it's a cool fight & song. :shrug:

Midas turn 4 has an amazing song (and fight) as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCWCPyxByg

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 26, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

The early guitar riff is similar to WWC but the whisper-then-yell vocals are more like NiN while the "say my name" part sounds more like Rammstein than Powerman 5000.

All that and it still can't compare to Under the Weight...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ventana posted:

That song is pretty clearly in the same vein as When World's Collide on pretty much everything, not sure how anyone can say otherwise. It's not exactly the same of course, but it's clearly more than an "inspired by".

It's got the whole "electronic mumbling over a beat" thing, but the beat is different, the instruments are different, the lyrics are different, the song follows a different progression, the chorus is WAY different. It's only vaguely similar and the only reason World's Collide is the comparison that was made is because that's one of the more popular songs of this kind.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Augus posted:

It's got the whole "electronic mumbling over a beat" thing, but the beat is different, the instruments are different, the lyrics are different, the song follows a different progression, the chorus is WAY different. It's only vaguely similar and the only reason World's Collide is the comparison that was made is because that's one of the more popular songs of this kind.

I just pulled a quick 3 other songs from the same album from Powerman 5000, and uh, no?

Nobody's Real

Automatic

Supernova Goes Pop

Like, yes, it is a "genre", so of course they are going to sound vaguely similar in overall style. But notably they don't sound at all like World's Collide, despite the different progessions and beats and instruments as you pointed out. No one would ever confuse these with each other.

The beat and progression in Sephirot's theme on the other hand, particularly in the guitar, DOES sound similar to World's Collide in that opening minute stretch (particulaly the softer sections like in the first 30 seconds), even if it's not exact. As in very specifically that song, and not at all like the other Powerman 5000 songs above.

I don't want to turn this into some genre cherry-picking debate to "find all the songs that sound/don't sound similar", but at least you should be able to see that Sephirot's theme sounds hell of a lot closer to World's Collide specifically than the above songs or general genre.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is there a reason no one's mentioning that FFVI tunes are literally the first phase of that boss' music? I mean I'd rather talk about the second phase because it's an awesome song, but the FFVI tunes are good too

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

They have a similar guitar riff which is also a pretty generic guitar riff. Should Journey be suing every song that uses standard pop chords?
They have things in common but it's only vague broad strokes and far from anything worth calling them uncreative thieves. Everything resembles something else is some way, nobody has ever made anything that was 100% original, at least not in any time that we can remember.

Also songs by the same band on the same album are going to be going for at least some variety. That should kinda go without saying.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
I didn't say anyone should sue. The band themselves said they weren't going to sue. And I didn't say it was a problem that the songs sound similar or that they are "uncreative thieves", I actually think the similarities are really neat.

I just think it's silly to deny that they don't sound similar on something that isn't quite as super generic like say a descending bassline progression.

Augus posted:

Also songs by the same band on the same album are going to be going for at least some variety. That should kinda go without saying.

I get your point, but when you extrapolate this, it's just silly. "Songs on different albums are of course going to be varied from previous albums" or "Songs from different bands are going to be varied" are just as likely to be true, if not even more so than your statement.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I think it's pretty obviously an "inspired by" situation considering it's not just the music but the lyrics are thematically very similar. If Powerman5000 even wanted to sue though, they'd have to get in line behind a few hundred artists who actually have gotten straight-up ripped off and they'd lose.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Can I sue Otherworld for thinking those vocals were a good idea

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

FFIX is now in the 'Upcoming' section of the front page of steam, so we can look forward to that soon I think. That and their steam trading cards are in the database now.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bloodychill posted:

I think it's pretty obviously an "inspired by" situation considering it's not just the music but the lyrics are thematically very similar. If Powerman5000 even wanted to sue though, they'd have to get in line behind a few hundred artists who actually have gotten straight-up ripped off and they'd lose.

Uematsu alone has a lot of songs he would have to answer for

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Can I sue Otherworld for thinking those vocals were a good idea

They were a good idea

Go now, if you want it
An otherworld awaits you
Don't you give up on it
You bite the hand that feeds you

All alone, cold fields you wander
Memories of it, cloud your sight
Fills your dreams, disturbs your slumber
Lost your way, a fallen knight

Hold now, aim is steady
An otherworld awaits you
One thousand years, you ready?
The otherworld, it takes you

Go into the sand, and the dust, and the sky
Go now, there's no better plan, than to do or to die
Free me, pray to the fayth in the face of the light
Feed me, fill me with sin, and get ready to fight
You know you will
You know you will
You know it, you know it, you know it, you know it, that you will
You know it, you know it, you know it, you know it, that you will
You know you will...

Fight, fight, fight
Fight, fight, fight
Fight, fight, fight
Fight, fight, fight!

Hope dies, and you wander
The otherworld, it makes you
Dreams, they rip asunder
The otherworld, it hates you

Free now, ride up on it
Up to the heights, it takes you
Go now, if you want it
An otherworld awaits you

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Baal posted:

Uematsu alone has a lot of songs he would have to answer for

The one thing Uematsu had going for him (other than no one paying too much attention to game music outside gamers at the time) is that he mostly ripped off classical music in the public domain :sax:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird that FF nerds love Otherworld but there was a backlash to Limit Break in XIII-2

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bloodychill posted:

The one thing Uematsu had going for him (other than no one paying too much attention to game music outside gamers at the time) is that he mostly ripped off classical music in the public domain :sax:

You say that but there's a ton of his stuff which just rips off 70s and 80s Rock and metal

I use this example a lot but it's the one that always comes to mind. Listen to Dancing Mad and compare that poo poo to like Tarkus

Also Dark Messenger and We Will Rock You

Help Im Alive posted:

It's weird that FF nerds love Otherworld but there was a backlash to Limit Break in XIII-2

That owns too

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bloodychill posted:

Shout out to the OGs of music copying, id Software.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Baal posted:

You say that but there's a ton of his stuff which just rips off 70s and 80s Rock and metal

I use this example a lot but it's the one that always comes to mind. Listen to Dancing Mad and compare that poo poo to like Tarkus

Also Dark Messenger and We Will Rock You

The drum beat from Dark Messenger is effectively identical to We Will Rock You but then it turns into a rock variation on Kuja's Theme. Similarly, most of the 17 minutes of Dancing Mad is repeated variations on the game theme but then has a 3 minute section which is almost identical to the first 3 minutes of Tarkus. He ripped off in parts :)

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Help Im Alive posted:

People generally have less tolerance for the FFXIII games, XIII-2 in particular.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bloodychill posted:

The drum beat from Dark Messenger is effectively identical to We Will Rock You but then it turns into a rock variation on Kuja's Theme. Similarly, most of the 17 minutes of Dancing Mad is repeated variations on the game theme but then has a 3 minute section which is almost identical to the first 3 minutes of Tarkus. He ripped off in parts :)

Oh yeah it's not the whole song, but it's still there and very obvious.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Help Im Alive posted:

Limit Break wasn't utilized well, it was the normal boss music so it felt out of place and got old fast.
Also I just like Otherworld better as a song.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Limit Break is one of five different boss themes that game has

XIII-2 has an insane variety of music, it did not rely on that song for boss music

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Otherworld is the best final boss music

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Help Im Alive posted:

Augus posted:

Also I just like Otherworld better as a song.

Not that I hate Limit Break, but basically this, yeah.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Otherworld is the epitome of everything that Jecht is. Limit Break is not.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

All that and it still can't compare to Under the Weight...

All this talk of cheesy Final Fantasy buttrock yet this is the only mention of the best song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDEPwFmBQXM

This is also the best fight because it's so loving easy to get knocked off the stage and be out of the fight completely. Doing this fight on Extreme brings many horrible/hilarious memories.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
One bit of boss fight music I liked was in XIII when Sazh and Vanille are fighting two Mr. Snuffleupaguses and this swinging smooth jazz number is playing for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

TL posted:

One bit of boss fight music I liked was in XIII when Sazh and Vanille are fighting two Mr. Snuffleupaguses and this swinging smooth jazz number is playing for no reason.
I think the scan text or the chapter summary specifically call them out as a rare mating pair in a nature preserve so you are very explicitly extincting animals to the jazz music.

When I think of 13 having fantastic music its mostly the least used stuff which ends up absolutely fantastic window dressing. Sazh Jazz Time, the weird discordant choral stuff during fal'cie fights, chocobo song lyrics.