Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

this_is_hard posted:

Except the Moto devices are still behind on updates and have recently announced they're not gonna update a whole host of devices they said they would lmao

Maybe being locked into Verizon wasn't the best choice lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

:shrug:

I mean yeah, but you could say the same for all carriers, really.

The problem is both the Moto X Play and Style are still behind on updates and neither have 6.0.1

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

FAUXTON posted:

Verizon is okay if you don't use their phones and can update somehow other than OTAs.

This may actually be an option beyond iPhones and Nexuses soon given modern phone antenna and radio processor design.

(The Nexus 6 debacle was Google making the mistake of thinking American carriers would operate in good faith. That's the kind of mistake you make once.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Verizon is okay if you don't use their phones and can update somehow other than OTAs.

This may actually be an option beyond iPhones and Nexuses soon given modern phone antenna and radio processor design.

(The Nexus 6 debacle was Google making the mistake of thinking American carriers would operate in good faith. That's the kind of mistake you make once.)
Then why did they make it a second time with the Nexus 6?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

this_is_hard posted:

The problem is both the Moto X Play and Style are still behind on updates and neither have 6.0.1

I could totally see Lenovo buying Moto and being all "gently caress these phones lol"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

RFX posted:

So follow up to my Android Auto question, since I guess I can't turn off bluetooth, why the hell does my phone keep thinking my car bluetooth is a new device? Seemingly every time I connect my phone to my car, it pops up the Smart Lock alert asking to add my car bluetooth as a Trusted Device, and each time it pops up I add it. Then when I disconnect it, I keep getting a dialogue box to allow my car bluetooth to access my messages. Again, I always allow it. I'm using a Nexus 6P, so I really thought it would work great with this Android Auto thing without these weird issues, but I can't seem to figure out what the hell is going wrong.

From reading the documentation and workflow overviews, it seems like, and I'm just going off my impression since I don't own an Android Auto, that the Android Auto headunit is meant for more ad-hoc type connections and not to be permanently paired like Android Wear devices, so the Android Auto app completely manages the bluetooth pairing to the point where it will add AND remove the pairing from the system bluetooth pairings.

Which is why you are seeing what you're seeing, the system bluetooth settings don't have a permanent record of the Android Auto headunit so therefore trusted devices and messages have to be re-enabled every single time.

Which sounds very dumb, but plausibly so.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

this_is_hard posted:

:shrug:

I mean yeah, but you could say the same for all carriers, really.

You could but you'd be wrong. Verizon really is on a level of its own in terms of hostility toward the user.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
It is loving amazing to me that here we are, how many years after the iPhone, and then the Nexus program started and it became unbelievably apparent how loving fail the carriers and the bullshit schlock they foist upon their customers is. How garbage their phones are. How they and their OEM partners pile unremovable shovelware, nickle&dime fees, spyware, and vulnerabilities in all of their products. Years and years have gone by and every singe carrier/OEM phone has become unsupported trash within minutes of purchase. And yet, in every iteration of the Android thread we have some unbelievable loving idiots advocating buying literal garbage like the Z3C or whatever Droid TurboMax verizon is shilling. These handsets have been garbage from the outset. The simple fact is there are 2 phones you are allowed to buy every year: the newest and most murdered our iPhone, or the newest and most murdered out Nexus. Everything else will turn into buggy insecure toxic waste the minute it leaves the showroom.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Smythe posted:

It is loving amazing to me that here we are, how many years after the iPhone, and then the Nexus program started and it became unbelievably apparent how loving fail the carriers and the bullshit schlock they foist upon their customers is. How garbage their phones are. How they and their OEM partners pile unremovable shovelware, nickle&dime fees, spyware, and vulnerabilities in all of their products. Years and years have gone by and every singe carrier/OEM phone has become unsupported trash within minutes of purchase. And yet, in every iteration of the Android thread we have some unbelievable loving idiots advocating buying literal garbage like the Z3C or whatever Droid TurboMax verizon is shilling. These handsets have been garbage from the outset. The simple fact is there are 2 phones you are allowed to buy every year: the newest and most murdered our iPhone, or the newest and most murdered out Nexus. Everything else will turn into buggy insecure toxic waste the minute it leaves the showroom.

Show us on the doll where the samsung touched you

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Show us on the doll where the samsung touched you

On my touchwiz.

:rimshot:

I'll show myself out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Smythe posted:

This is completely correct.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sorry, no. I OWN a Nexus but it is not my primary phone. There's still a feature gap there on Nexus devices that needs plugged. They aren't for everyone. I wouldn't be satisfied with a N6p or 5x as my daily driver the same way as my MXP.

They are good phones to be sure, but if I'd I would have wanted one, I would have bought one.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
The Droid Turbo is a loving fantastic phone though? I mean yeah Verizon sucks, but Verizon isn't a phone

RFX
Nov 23, 2007

broken clock opsec posted:

From reading the documentation and workflow overviews, it seems like, and I'm just going off my impression since I don't own an Android Auto, that the Android Auto headunit is meant for more ad-hoc type connections and not to be permanently paired like Android Wear devices, so the Android Auto app completely manages the bluetooth pairing to the point where it will add AND remove the pairing from the system bluetooth pairings.

Which is why you are seeing what you're seeing, the system bluetooth settings don't have a permanent record of the Android Auto headunit so therefore trusted devices and messages have to be re-enabled every single time.

Which sounds very dumb, but plausibly so.

That's what I've found too. Seems like an annoyance I have to live with and hope that Google patches at some point? It's a shame, other than that this system works great.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm gonna get an S7 Edge and I hope it causes at least one person itt to combust

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
I miss Moto's Active Display so much :negative:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

TenaciousTomato posted:

I miss Moto's Active Display so much :negative:

That is one of the main reasons why I simply could not make a switch. Active display owns bones full stop (as does twist to launch camera.) I really can't imagine giving it up.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Smythe posted:

Eh, you can probably get away with an older iPhone, given that Apple's pretty good about keeping older stuff up to date and the processing power treadmill is even starting to wane on mobile. I wouldn't go less than a 64-bit iPhone/iPad, though.

The Nexus/Android part is truth.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I gave up all of the Moto poo poo to go to a 5x because fuuuuuuuuuck Motorola for dropping support for the 2014 Moto X after less than a year. Double-press power to launch camera is just as good as double-twist and I'd be just as happy with Ambient Display as I was with Moto Display if Ambient Display would just 'breathe' forever like Moto did. I can live with that though in exchange for Verizon coverage with Nexus updates.

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 26, 2016

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm gonna get an S7 Edge and I hope it causes at least one person itt to combust

Gold platinum. :hf:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What could be wrong with Sony phones? They seem to be universally appreciated around here (except apparently by the wacko upthread). In fact, the X Performance looks really nice, except they could have put a little larger screen on there, I guess.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

hooah posted:

What could be wrong with Sony phones? They seem to be universally appreciated around here (except apparently by the wacko upthread). In fact, the X Performance looks really nice, except they could have put a little larger screen on there, I guess.

In the US they are weirdly crippled. No idea why but likely "lol carriers".

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

hooah posted:

He wasn't talking about hardware. It's all about software and updates or the lack thereof

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I want the dark blue one, looks amazing on my Note 5 :hfive:

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

bronin posted:

He wasn't talking about hardware. It's all about software and updates or the lack thereof

I'm gonna rock some worlds here, but I actually don't care what version Android is, or if my phone gets updates, as long as it works ok.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bronin posted:

Yeah, but as long as you're willing to go through what sounds like a pretty easy and painless procedure, you can be pretty up-to-date.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Captain Yossarian posted:

I'm gonna rock some worlds here, but I actually don't care what version Android is, or if my phone gets updates, as long as it works ok.

Then you should be ok with a couple generations old phone like an S4 or something.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thermopyle posted:

Then you should be ok with a couple generations old phone like an S4 or something.

Who wants to buy my old Galaxy S Captivate? :v:

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

I want the dark blue one, looks amazing on my Note 5 :hfive:

Sorry, the Galaxy S7 is only available in Black, Gold, Silver, and White.

In update news, the following ASUS phones will get Marshmallow in Q2 of 2016:

quote:

PadFone S (PF500KL)
ZenFone 2 (ZE550ML, ZE551ML)
ZenFone 2 Deluxe (ZE551ML)
ZenFone 2 Deluxe Special Edition (ZE551ML)
ZenFone 2 Laser (ZE500KG, ZE500KL, ZE550KL, ZE551KL, ZE600KL, ZE601KL)
ZenFone Selfie (ZD551KL)
ZenFone Max (ZC550KL)
ZenFone Zoom (ZX551ML)

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Whatever version Samsung is on is the de facto current Android version anyways.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thermopyle posted:

Nah, I have a Nexus 6 because it works better. I know this thread is more concerned with the newest and best, but I honestly don't think people care about updates as much as we all think.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Desk Lamp posted:

Whatever version Samsung is on is the de facto current Android version anyways.

A sad truth. Most of the world doesn't even have fuckin' Lollipop yet.

edit: whoops that was an old one.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 26, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Rastor posted:

Sorry, the Galaxy S7 is only available in Black, Gold, Silver, and White.

Gd it. Maybe the silver one then, it's super pretty.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Daily Forecast posted:

A sad truth. Most of the world doesn't even have fuckin' Lollipop yet.

edit: whoops that was an old one.

Still rockin my Nexus 4 on 4.4.

:smug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Captain Yossarian posted:

Nah, I have a Nexus 6 because it works better. I know this thread is more concerned with the newest and best, but I honestly don't think people care about updates as much as we all think.

I don't think anyone in this thread thinks the general public cares about updates, though?

Or, rather, if it enters the general publics consciousness, it's a way lower priority than most in this thread, and I think everyone acknowledges that.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I agree. I was busting the balls of that dude that was freaking out about Verizon :)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
The amount of vitriol against Samsung here is a bit over the top. I went from a flip phone to a Galaxy Note 2 on Tmobile. No matter how much crap Tmobile and Samsung put on their phones or how fast they drop support, it's still 100x better than my previous flip phone. I know the majority of people at work are in the same boat. I've seen many of my fellow poor coworkers from three years ago tell me "Wow, that's a big rear end phone," while they show me their flip phone, to... showing me their newer galaxy notes or Galaxy Ss over the years. I've never heard them complain about touchwiz or lack of updates.

I keep thinking of finally buying a note 6 this fall, but I don't really have a good reason to since my Note 2 still does plenty fine. I try to understand some of the hate here, but I just don't get it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ijii posted:

The amount of vitriol against Samsung here is a bit over the top. I went from a flip phone to a Galaxy Note 2 on Tmobile. No matter how much crap Tmobile and Samsung put on their phones or how fast they drop support, it's still 100x better than my previous flip phone. I know the majority of people at work are in the same boat. I've seen many of my fellow poor coworkers from three years ago tell me "Wow, that's a big rear end phone," while they show me their flip phone, to... showing me their newer galaxy notes or Galaxy Ss over the years. I've never heard them complain about touchwiz or lack of updates.

I keep thinking of finally buying a note 6 this fall, but I don't really have a good reason to since my Note 2 still does plenty fine. I try to understand some of the hate here, but I just don't get it.

haha yea buddy. Last year I was pounding my balls into the pavement daily with an electrified jackhammer. That was P deece, but ultimately I'm really loving stoked to simply gargle this hydrochloric acid. Sure, you say, for the same price you can get your cock sucked and jizz on some titties but shucks some deadly acid in my ol' esophagus aint bad. Hell, It's loving awesome!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Sorry, no. I OWN a Nexus but it is not my primary phone. There's still a feature gap there on Nexus devices that needs plugged. They aren't for everyone. I wouldn't be satisfied with a N6p or 5x as my daily driver the same way as my MXP.

They are good phones to be sure, but if I'd I would have wanted one, I would have bought one.

Your needs are incorrect, and your epic use of "daily driver" dbz instant transmissions you directly into the FuckTard gulag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Smythe posted:

haha yea buddy. Last year I was pounding my balls into the pavement daily with an electrified jackhammer. That was P deece, but ultimately I'm really loving stoked to simply gargle this hydrochloric acid. Sure, you say, for the same price you can get your cock sucked and jizz on some titties but shucks some deadly acid in my ol' esophagus aint bad. Hell, It's loving awesome!

Same but unironically