Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I've played for probably 200 hours and never tried a mod, for what it's worth. The stock game is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010
I only add RSO (cause trains!) and oil tank train car mod (cause trains!)

If trains(!) doesn't sound worth while (and they are kind of busy work) then base game is good.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Hagop posted:

I never saw anything thing wrong with the original costs, but I am not a champion of the fair and balanced approach to sand boxes.

I would go personally go with two adv electric furnaces and an efficiency two module just to keep the pattern up, but like said when I normally would be switching over to the old adv electrics anything short of a stack of level three modules is a non-issue.

Okay I've updated. I've changed the names to Electric furnace 1 and 2, added a new level 3, and changed the recipes. Now each furnace costs one of the previous tier, plus 4x efficiency 1 modules for level 2, and 4x speed 2 modules for level 3.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 26, 2016

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Just discovered this game moments ago from watching the trailer. Can someone explain how multiplayer works? Is it entirely cooperative? Am I going to have to gently caress with ports and routers and poo poo to host a game and have my friend connect or are there persistent servers or how does it work.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Basically one of you starts a multiplayer session and then the other connects via IP:port.

There isn't any sort of versus mode in yet(though you can shoot at eachother), so it's sill co-op only.

You can either have it so that a player is also the host, or you can use the headless/dedicated server mode if you have a windows/linux server or otherwise just want to leave the same session running 24/7(game pauses with no players connected), see here for details: https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Multiplayer#Dedicated.2FHeadless_server

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

drunken officeparty posted:

Just discovered this game moments ago from watching the trailer. Can someone explain how multiplayer works? Is it entirely cooperative? Am I going to have to gently caress with ports and routers and poo poo to host a game and have my friend connect or are there persistent servers or how does it work.

100% co-op. There is no friendly fire. I don't think you can even accidentally run over each other with cars (trains still kill you though).

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

LLSix posted:

100% co-op. There is no friendly fire. I don't think you can even accidentally run over each other with cars (trains still kill you though).

You can press C to force shoot the bullet weapons and spacebar shoots shotguns in whatever direction your mouse is pointing. I have accidentally and on purpose shot up my coop partner and my base as well as running them over with a tank while they were afk. There's not much point to killing each other (death deletes inventory and power armors) unless you're making separate bases and playing that way but even then, turrets won't shoot at other players yet I don't think.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008
Did the steam release come with any improvements? I remember that a proper patch was forthcoming, but have there been any tweaks?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Royal W posted:

Did the steam release come with any improvements? I remember that a proper patch was forthcoming, but have there been any tweaks?

No, it's just a steam release for now. .13 should have the train update, etc.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Royal W posted:

If anything, the Steam release is a downgrade right now. Yeah, you gain cloud saves, but you lose the ability to run a headless client on the same windows machine that you use to play the game. Also, the Linux server distro is completely missing. These are both things that require DRM-free access from the website. Kinda a shame they didn't manage to get this out. That said, 698 positive reviews, 3 negative reviews, overwhelmingly positive. On a game where the pre-release forum had customers saying "Whatever happens, don't worry about bad reviews, Steam is a bad community!" and the devs saying "Yeah, we know the Steam review system is broken, we won't feel bad." Factorio players are out in hordes making sure this game gets reviewed well.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Boogalo posted:

You can press C to force shoot the bullet weapons and spacebar shoots shotguns in whatever direction your mouse is pointing. I have accidentally and on purpose shot up my coop partner and my base as well as running them over with a tank while they were afk. There's not much point to killing each other (death deletes inventory and power armors) unless you're making separate bases and playing that way but even then, turrets won't shoot at other players yet I don't think.

If you enable the dev console for the session you can assign other players to other teams, and then your turrets will indeed shoot them.

Not only that they get completely separate research

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

ikanreed posted:

If you enable the dev console for the session you can assign other players to other teams, and then your turrets will indeed shoot them.

Not only that they get completely separate research

Yeah, the game actually supports a whole faction system, but I think the only way to access it is to dig through the console.

DaveKap posted:

If anything, the Steam release is a downgrade right now. Yeah, you gain cloud saves, but you lose the ability to run a headless client on the same windows machine that you use to play the game. Also, the Linux server distro is completely missing. These are both things that require DRM-free access from the website. Kinda a shame they didn't manage to get this out. That said, 698 positive reviews, 3 negative reviews, overwhelmingly positive. On a game where the pre-release forum had customers saying "Whatever happens, don't worry about bad reviews, Steam is a bad community!" and the devs saying "Yeah, we know the Steam review system is broken, we won't feel bad." Factorio players are out in hordes making sure this game gets reviewed well.

You can't run a separate instance of the game installed outside Steam?

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

GotLag posted:

Okay I've updated. I've changed the names to Electric furnace 1 and 2, added a new level 3, and changed the recipes. Now each furnace costs one of the previous tier, plus 4x efficiency 1 modules for level 2, and 4x speed 2 modules for level 3.

Thanks.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Solumin posted:

You can't run a separate instance of the game installed outside Steam?
If it's installed outside Steam, then it's not the Steam version. If you're asking if you can run it without Steam, as far as I can tell, you can't.

SetPhazers2Funk
Jan 27, 2008

Good, bad, I'm the one with the gun.

lohli posted:

Basically one of you starts a multiplayer session and then the other connects via IP:port.

There isn't any sort of versus mode in yet(though you can shoot at eachother), so it's sill co-op only.

You can either have it so that a player is also the host, or you can use the headless/dedicated server mode if you have a windows/linux server or otherwise just want to leave the same session running 24/7(game pauses with no players connected), see here for details: https://wiki.factorio.com/index.php?title=Multiplayer#Dedicated.2FHeadless_server

Dumb question - is there a guide somewhere that outlines how to do this? My buddy and I have done the port forwarding part, but for whatever reason we can't seem to join each other's games. I'm sure it's something trivial that I'm just unaware of. I haven't messed with port forwarding in about a decade.

I'm playing the Steam version, if that matters.

SetPhazers2Funk fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 27, 2016

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

DaveKap posted:

If it's installed outside Steam, then it's not the Steam version. If you're asking if you can run it without Steam, as far as I can tell, you can't.

Oh, right, the versions have to be identical in order to get multiplayer to work. Sorry, I forgot about that.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Dumb question - is there a guide somewhere that outlines how to do this? My buddy and I have done the port forwarding part, but for whatever reason we can't seem to join each other's games. I'm sure it's something trivial that I'm just unaware of. I haven't messed with port forwarding in about a decade.

I'm playing the Steam version, if that matters.

It says on the wiki it works with UDP only so maybe check that in your router?

Maybe the answer is in this video (from the wiki)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqsqRWNsbPM

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
is there a good belt splitter mod that works with the latest version?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Unfortunately not. The 0.12 belt optimisations mean that items on belts aren't physically simulated any more, so the mod's method of blocking unwanted lanes with dummy entities no longer works. I've asked the devs to add an API call to disable lanes, but they haven't implemented it yet.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
how did the belts work before versus now, if you dont' mind my asking?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I believe that the items on them existed in the world and the belts just moved them.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Ego Trip posted:

I believe that the items on them existed in the world and the belts just moved them.

That's my understanding as well. I think the change was mostly for performance reasons, but it also had implications for how items move on belts, especially regarding the effects corners have on item spacing within lanes and relative positions across lanes.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 28, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Before 0.12, belts simply pushed items around - there was no difference between an item laying on the ground and an item on a belt. You could see this on belt corners, which significantly slowed item flow due to the geometry of the path they took and the square item collision boxes. It was even possible for a poorly-placed item to block a belt entirely.
See this wiki page (but note that it doesn't apply to 0.12 and up).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Solumin posted:

Oh, right, the versions have to be identical in order to get multiplayer to work. Sorry, I forgot about that.
Do keep in mind, however, that non-Steam version 12.24 is compatible with Steam version 12.24 (current) so if you have the DRM-free version, you can run it headless on your machine and other Steam versions, including your Steam version, can connect to it (though you'll have to change the server's port because if you use default, your client won't be able to connect to it due to conflicting port issues.)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Does the Steam version require anything special for multiplayer? My friend and I couldn't connect to each other at all. We're both running 0.12.24 with no mods. Multiplayer worked fine on the non-Steam version before this, and we ended up reinstalling the non-Steam version and just playing through that. I have the default port forwarded and it looks like Steam automatically added a firewall rule, so those aren't the problem...

We made this fun monster of a science complex though:

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How playable and close to beta is this game? I saw in the OP it was supposed to release summer 2015 however its still in early access on steam.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The game is very playable. Not sure what close to beta means. It could very well be considered feature complete at this point, but they keep adding stuff in. The game has been within a year of release for like the past 3, so take from that what you will.

Also, it's just launched on steam very recently. It's only been in steam early access for 5 days.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Don't you need a win condition for your game to be complete, legally speaking? I remember something like that with Minecraft and the weird scrolling text after you kill the Ender Dragon.

if so, that's probably the only reason this is an early access game.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Ego Trip posted:

Don't you need a win condition for your game to be complete, legally speaking? I remember something like that with Minecraft and the weird scrolling text after you kill the Ender Dragon.

Whaddaya mean? There's been a win condition since years ago! :v:

Breetai posted:

loving lol

In all seriousness tho, the replacement for that placeholder looks amazing, and while the endgame is going to be refined from 'build final rocket structure and push butan to win game' to 'launch rocket and then transport materials to space to build the final, final structures', it is essentially feature-complete, remarkably stable, insanely fun, and you'll probably have multiple 20+ hour playthroughs from scratch just refining your technique towards building factories anyway, so you may as well get on board because if it comes to worst, you'll just have the opportunity to experiment a lot with your playstyle before the final 5% of endgame is polished. It's like Sim City in that no-one ever just builds the one city and keeps developing it throughout the life of the game - you'll want to have multiple attempts.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Ego Trip posted:

There's no such thing as a legal definition for a complete game.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Ego Trip posted:

Don't you need a win condition for your game to be complete, legally speaking?

Lowen posted:

There's no such thing as a legal definition for a complete game.

Hahah, the assumption that there's any legal definition of a vidya game really needs more open mockery.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Has anyone done any good gameplay video series' on this, by chance? I could use something to watch while zoned out too much to actually play :v:

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Has anyone done any good gameplay video series' on this, by chance? I could use something to watch while zoned out too much to actually play :v:

Arumba is a pretty good player and youtuber. He is doing a series right now with another streamer and they're up to 60 episodes.
I don't know if an LP is exactly what you're looking for, but try this on.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Ciaphas posted:

Arumba is usually pretty good. He's done some mod and multiplayer videos, but I think his playthrough of 0.12 from last July is the latest vanilla thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Git5PMiVY_Q

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Royal W posted:

Arumba is a pretty good player and youtuber. He is doing a series right now with another streamer and they're up to 60 episodes.
I don't know if an LP is exactly what you're looking for, but try this on.

This looks like exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

(edit) Both of you! :v:

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
This game is really fun and it makes my brain hurt. There's an incredible amount of satisfaction in 'solving the puzzle' necessary to move forward with new tech.

How does anyone manage to build such complex looking factories? I feel like adding gas pipes to this workflow will break my sanity:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Power Walrus posted:

This game is really fun and it makes my brain hurt. There's an incredible amount of satisfaction in 'solving the puzzle' necessary to move forward with new tech.

How does anyone manage to build such complex looking factories? I feel like adding gas pipes to this workflow will break my sanity:

I can see batteries being made so there's already gas pipes as part of the workflow. I don't see a problem.

It's a pretty small factory which probably helped.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The key to pipes is to go underground as much as possible. It helps a lot, especially since pipes have such a long underground range. And I see sulfuric acid being piped in, so I don't know what the problem is? That's all you really need for industrial applications, besides a squeeze of lubricant.

The other thing that helped for me was setting up a more "modular" approach. My original factories had a huge central bus that fed into all of the red science factories and green circuit factories, which fed the red circuit factories downstream, etc. etc. -- basically a large "waterfall" based around a copper/iron/green circuit central bus. I'd end up with things like solar panel factories leeching off this main bus, in addition to science factories and labs.
Turns out that design doesn't work great! It's extensible, but only so much, and you end having ridiculous iron and copper plate demand that can be hard to match.

Instead, my most recent game has focused around modular factories. The basic idea is to identify a need -- such as green science, for example -- and set up the mining, smelting and factories for it. So you get these small, tight-knit factories that do one thing well. Craft dependencies (e.g. iron gear wheels for basic transport belts) as close to where they will be used as possible. If you have a bunch of factories that have the same dependency, like transport belts and inserters needing iron gear wheels, give each one their own factory!

It's a partly organic process, too. The factory I linked earlier on this page was the result of an hour or more of fiddling, placing, removing, organizing and half-baked planning. (And it's obviously far from perfect -- I really need to fix the southern green circuit factories.) It replaced a smaller, more "organized" red/green science factory -- we just tore the whole thing down and started from a blank slate. Don't be afraid to do that, too.

Edit: Also learn all the little tricks with belts and inserters. Putting two resources on one belt can save you a lot of space. Again, take a look at the factory I posted. We do at least three weird things with belts and inserters in order to get two things on one belt, or to reuse a belt.

Solumin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 29, 2016

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Thanks! I really like the idea of trying little modular factories.

Yeah, I have begun to add gas to my factories, but the latest problem is that it seems that I'm not generating enough gas. Must continue to scale up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I finished the supply campaign, that was pretty tough. After a few false starts, I was able to keep up, barely. It's easier since the biters are passive, but the time crunch is real.

If you're a veteran looking for a new challenge, give it a try. It's available on the steam version even if you only got the basic version.