Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm friends with a couple who had LASIK done while on vacation in Mexico last year. It was hella cheap, they were in and out in under three hours, and their eyes haven't exploded yet. My eyes suck and I'm actually only a five-hour drive from where they had it done, so they're trying to get me to go do it. I can't help but think "me obtengo dinero efectivo, yo láser tú globo del ojo," though :ohdear:

fake edit: Frankston, those shoes own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Frankston posted:

I got these

because I wanted some kickin' rad ugly retro trainers.

These are sick, I love Reeboks.

Edit: these are mine

Coffee And Pie posted:

Found a pair of these cleaning out a closet, neither my dad nor I have any recollection of buying them, but they seem kinda dope:

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 16:56 on Feb 26, 2016

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I had a pair of the Twilight Zones when I was 9 yrs old. I'm not cool enough to pull them off nowadays :(

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Dining chairs. I wasn't planning to buy yet, but the price dropped, and stacking discounts helped some.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'm friends with a couple who had LASIK done while on vacation in Mexico last year. It was hella cheap, they were in and out in under three hours, and their eyes haven't exploded yet. My eyes suck and I'm actually only a five-hour drive from where they had it done, so they're trying to get me to go do it. I can't help but think "me obtengo dinero efectivo, yo láser tú globo del ojo," though :ohdear:

fake edit: Frankston, those shoes own

It sounds so odd to say "Oh, I had eye surgery while on vacation".

Hell, I'm tempted to get it done but a: it's expensive, and b: I'm poor, and c: She blinded me with SCIENCE! scarred me as a child.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Is there a LASIK thread? I took a look through the first few pages of TGD and YLLS and didn't see one. I've had a few friends who have had it done, my boyfriend had it done yesterday, and I'd be very interested to read about other people's experiences with it as well. I'd love to not have to wear glasses anymore but the whole idea of it scares the poo poo out of me.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It sounds so odd to say "Oh, I had eye surgery while on vacation".

Hell, I'm tempted to get it done but a: it's expensive, and b: I'm poor, and c: She blinded me with SCIENCE! scarred me as a child.

Yeah, it was pretty silly, and they definitely hammed it up when they got back. "Oh, you went parasailing out in the Gulf? We GOT LASERS SHOT INTO OUR EYEBALLS BY MEXICAN DOCTORS"

Solid Cake posted:

Is there a LASIK thread? I took a look through the first few pages of TGD and YLLS and didn't see one. I've had a few friends who have had it done, my boyfriend had it done yesterday, and I'd be very interested to read about other people's experiences with it as well. I'd love to not have to wear glasses anymore but the whole idea of it scares the poo poo out of me.

I'm not sure if there is a thread, but I can tell you that I've known more than half a dozen people personally that have had it done throughout the last two decades, and they all have nothing but positive things to say about it. I can't wait to be able to afford it (whether it's a laser or una láser inexpensivo), because 1) gently caress myopia and 2) I can't wear contacts.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
Must be posted.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
LASIK is great. If you can afford it and don't get it you're a dumb

App13
Dec 31, 2011

What's the going rate? How should I got about finding a reputable place?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

App13 posted:

What's the going rate? How should I got about finding a reputable place?

You'll want to find the lowest bidder in your area.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
You know how they say you should spend money on a bed, because you spend a third of your life in it?

How often do you use your sight?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I paid $1600 for lasik 10 years ago, and so did my mom and her 3 sisters. None of us have had any issues, and they had the bifocal monovision thing done. It wasn't the cheapest place around, but was half of what most cost.

Best decision ever.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Yamaha YTR-2335. Pawnshop find for $150. Has a sizable dent in the 2nd valve slide, and the 2nd valve sticks when it's seated properly (but not when it's seated backwards for some reason). Should be an easy fix, already dropped it off for repairs. Otherwise it's in pretty pristine shape for a used horn, would probably go for close to $350 if it weren't for the valve issues.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Scarf posted:

I had a pair of the Twilight Zones when I was 9 yrs old. I'm not cool enough to pull them off nowadays :(

You must be the same age as me, I had a pair aged 9 too. They re-released them a couple of years back and you bet your fucken rear end I bought a pair... If you can find a pair buy them, gently caress what other people think, just owning them made me happy.

*edit: I actually bought a pair of grey/blue Solebox ltd editions too.

The sole is glow in the dark and the tongue is reflective because reasons.

Olympic Mathlete has a new favorite as of 23:41 on Feb 26, 2016

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

88h88 posted:

You must be the same age as me, I had a pair aged 9 too. They re-released them a couple of years back and you bet your fucken rear end I bought a pair... If you can find a pair buy them, gently caress what other people think, just owning them made me happy.

*edit: I actually bought a pair of grey/blue Solebox ltd editions too.

The sole is glow in the dark and the tongue is reflective because reasons.

I remember I was one out of like 7 other kids in my class that had them in my class alone. Hell I bet half of the guys in my elementary school had them in 1990 alone.

I also sadly remember everyone making fun of the kid who got the LA Gear pumps instead of the Reeboks...

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Toast Museum posted:

Dining chairs. I wasn't planning to buy yet, but the price dropped, and stacking discounts helped some.

Tbh they don't look like they stack

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

Solid Cake posted:

I was given two valium before the procedure so I didn't really give a poo poo about anything. It was completely painless, but if you have a bigger than average fear of stuff being around/in your eyes than I imagine it's not gonna be your most favorite thing. Honestly the worst part is/was this stupid eye shield I have to wear when I sleep for a week. It sucks. And there was some burning pain in my eyes for a couple of hours after the numbing drops wore off but it wasn't unbearable, sorta like getting shampoo in your eyes but less intense. Definitely worth it though, at my follow up today I was at 20/15.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Jeherrin posted:

Tbh they don't look like they stack

Well not with that attitude.

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

I got some new running shoes.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I got LASIK done in Korea when living over there, was about 1200 bucks CAD.

I went to Vietnam on vacation 3 days later. I wore sunglasses the entire time.

Vision is still awesome. Totally worth it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

I got LASIK done in Korea when living over there, was about 1200 bucks CAD.

I went to Vietnam on vacation 3 days later. I wore sunglasses the entire time.

Vision is still awesome. Totally worth it.
That's crazy cheap! $1200 for both? I might have to take a trip to Seoul...

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bought a wireless charging stand for my phone for about five bucks cheaper than Amazon's price. Replace the back cover with the provided one (which is a bit thicker than the original/ about as thick as my old back-covering case was), and your phone will magnetically attach to the also-provided stand, charging it up through a process I'm convinced is sorcery.

You still need to have a cord from an outlet to the stand, but it's incredibly convenient to be able to just plop my phone on something and get a charge going without having to fish through the other charging cords and headphones I have lying near my nightstand.. Ironically, I broke off my phone's little port-protecting dongle putting the new back cover on, but oh well.

Part of the reason why I impulse bought it was because, anecdotally, a lot of gizmos like this seemed to skip over the S5. I don't know why; I don't follow phones too much.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Magnetic-Wireless-Charging-System/dp/B00OAC2RLY

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Feb 27, 2016

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

MisterBibs posted:

Bought a wireless charging stand for my phone for about five bucks cheaper than Amazon's price. Replace the back cover with the provided one (which is a bit thicker than the original/ about as thick as my old back-covering case was), and your phone will magnetically attach to the also-provided stand, charging it up through a process I'm convinced is sorcery.

You still need to have a cord from an outlet to the stand, but it's incredibly convenient to be able to just plop my phone on something and get a charge going without having to fish through the other charging cords and headphones I have lying near my nightstand.. Ironically, I broke off my phone's little port-protecting dongle putting the new back cover on, but oh well.

Part of the reason why I impulse bought it was because, anecdotally, a lot of gizmos like this seemed to skip over the S5. I don't know why; I don't follow phones too much.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Magnetic-Wireless-Charging-System/dp/B00OAC2RLY

Wireless charging is great, but a ridiculous magnetic solution for holding your phone is kind of stupid when http://www.tylt.com/vu-wireless-charger exists and is a fantastic product.

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I'm not sure if I should make a drat Daniel joke or a joke about how "pizza vans" sounds like a delivery method.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Don't do drat Daniel jokes. I'm sure it's going to show up on The Big Bang Theory.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

fresh to death.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Is LASIK possible for someone who has astigmatism?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Why don't you go ask this in the lasik thread instead of the pyf purchases thread? OR better yet, an actual doctor so goons don't tell you to get death laser eyes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3179993

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This thread's gonna make me buy some shoes, is what's going to happen.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

baram. posted:

fresh to death.

I haven't felt sneaker envy in a while, and I'm chapped those aren't easier to find.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Josh Lyman posted:

That's crazy cheap! $1200 for both? I might have to take a trip to Seoul...

Yup. Medical tourism is very big in Korea/Thailand.

And the equipment they use is newer/nicer than most of the poo poo here.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It's possible. But my doctor said my astigmatism was so severe and I had a bunch of other problems so they recommended I not do laser surgery.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I thought the new hotness was prk surgery

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I had astigmatism and the other common eye problem and I got lasik just fine at 18.
Sure I got the starburst glare thing and ten years later I need glasses again but hey, it was fun while it lasted

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
I thought the general recommendation was not to get LASIK until your vision has definitely finished (its initial) degrading, somewhere in your mid-20's? Then again, I might be talking out of my rear end.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SaltLick posted:

I think I'll stick to the South for my medical tourism, thank you very much.

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Calaveron posted:

I had astigmatism and the other common eye problem and I got lasik just fine at 18.
Sure I got the starburst glare thing and ten years later I need glasses again but hey, it was fun while it lasted

18 is way too drat young to get it, of course you have to wear glasses again. Your doctor was an rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

SaltLick posted:

PRK has been around longer. I had it in 2013 and besides some minor haloing there are no other effects.
It can correct astigmatism etc