Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Decrepus posted:

If someone casts [Insert Global] just go AI and find a new game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Decrepus posted:

If someone casts Bot just go AI and find a new game imo.

Funny, that's my strategy except I go AI immediately after casting BoT myself.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's pretty meta.

And also, I'm reliably informed by the internet, the only winning move.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
So I tried SP as MA Ulm. Trip highlights so far

1. Suicided my E3N4 boar god into 40 horse archers.
2. Prot 18 < Barbarians

Now I have about 80 infantry and dogs in 3 armies wandering around in year 2.

Does this sound about right?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Z the IVth posted:

So I tried SP as MA Ulm. Trip highlights so far

1. Suicided my E3N4 boar god into 40 horse archers.
2. Prot 18 < Barbarians

Now I have about 80 infantry and dogs in 3 armies wandering around in year 2.

Does this sound about right?

If you haven't already, please research Evocations 5 for Iron Blizzard, aka "Bullshit Shotgun".

Then laugh as your enemies fall before you like wheat before the scythe.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jBrereton posted:

Yes, if only a brave hero would make that extremely simple mod, and call it something like Burden-B-Gone.

*cough* the image is the download link *cough*

Thank you sincerely. If this was the end of the journey I would be very happy but unfortunately the real battle is to get stupid bitch idiot hosts to enable the drat mod by default.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

Thank you sincerely. If this was the end of the journey I would be very happy but unfortunately the real battle is to get stupid bitch idiot hosts to enable the drat mod by default.

never

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

What if I asked nicely and said pwetty pwease? :kiddo:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

What if I asked nicely and said pwetty pwease? :kiddo:

You can have games w/ whatever mods and stuff you like but BoT is an important spell that functions as a blood counter if cast early enough. There aren't a lot of those. It could stand to be level 6 probably but its important.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I think the issue is that if it counters blood then it's a nuclear option that also pisses off every other player in the game, blood or no. It's also a death sentence for certain nations who mages or other important units have short life spans and/or start with old age. The game could really use a better way to counter blood if that's what BoT is intended to do.

comedy option: ban BoT AND blood nations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

I think the issue is that if it counters blood then it's a nuclear option that also pisses off every other player in the game, blood or no. It's also a death sentence for certain nations who mages or other important units have short life spans and/or start with old age. The game could really use a better way to counter blood if that's what BoT is intended to do.

comedy option: ban BoT AND blood nations.

There should be better and cheaper options to keep people alive using nature magic imo. Growth 3 BoT is really not that bad though. The rate of death is pretty slow and you have time to research some items or dispel though there are indeed a few nations that are utterly hosed with no recourse like MA Marignon but THEMS THE BREAKS.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

:laffo: Nuclearmonkee is just saving the world from blood you guys.

Ban BoT, ban Monkee, or set up a game and wait for it to get filled and then ruined within 2 weeks.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

:laffo: Nuclearmonkee is just saving the world from blood you guys.

Ban BoT, ban Monkee, or set up a game and wait for it to get filled and then ruined within 2 weeks.

I'll cut u.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
One thing I'll stand my ground on is that BoT should absolutely be banned from noob games. It's probably the most lovely, frustrating thing for a new player to encounter and the "counters blood" argument doesn't hold water there because no noob can operate blood magic worth a poo poo anyway.*

*this assumes there isn't some rear end in a top hat neruz or nesbit joining noob games despite extensive experience.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

One thing I'll stand my ground on is that BoT should absolutely be banned from noob games. It's probably the most lovely, frustrating thing for a new player to encounter and the "counters blood" argument doesn't hold water there because no noob can operate blood magic worth a poo poo anyway.*

*this assumes there isn't some rear end in a top hat neruz or nesbit joining noob games despite extensive experience.

Yeah stuff like AC and BoT are not something that will probably pop up in a newbie anyways. When was the last time a newbie pulled one of those off before ultra-late game?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Honestly I think that at a certain point you just have to accept that this is dominions 4, and balancing is a Sisyphean task that will leave you more burnt out and frustrated than you started, with very little to show for it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ChickenWing posted:

Honestly I think that at a certain point you just have to accept that this is dominions 4, and balancing is a Sisyphean task that will leave you more burnt out and frustrated than you started, with very little to show for it.

This is true but there are still certain outliers that are so far beyond the regular balance deviation they can be reasonable identified as "bad" and removed. Like I don't think anyone here is gonna propose that we goon mod TOTAL BALANCE TO ALL PRETENDER CHASSIS, but what we can do is ban/nerf earthsnake because it's obvious to basically everyone that it is way too strong for the cost.

I see BoT as a similar thing.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Yeah stuff like AC and BoT are not something that will probably pop up in a newbie anyways. When was the last time a newbie pulled one of those off before ultra-late game?

i cast bot on turn 18 of my second game lmao. it got dispelled on turn 20 i thin kand i recast it the next turn then six people went ai

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Bring back pudmod

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

jsoh posted:

i cast bot on turn 18 of my second game lmao. it got dispelled on turn 20 i thin kand i recast it the next turn then six people went ai

That's why I don't care for it. Spells or things that make a bunch of people who otherwise would have stuck out the game for longer and perhaps had more fun or changed the flow of the game end up saying "gently caress it" and quitting when the dumb and unfun thing happens.

The blood-control argument is kind of silly as well, as the #1 most effective way to control blood nations is to gang up on them, which happens plenty often.

BoT is much like guns in that they both need to be regulated into oblivion. Vote for me, and I will confiscate all BoTs.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

jsoh posted:

gods work

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

How are u posted:

That's why I don't care for it. Spells or things that make a bunch of people who otherwise would have stuck out the game for longer and perhaps had more fun or changed the flow of the game end up saying "gently caress it" and quitting when the dumb and unfun thing happens.

The blood-control argument is kind of silly as well, as the #1 most effective way to control blood nations is to gang up on them, which happens plenty often.

BoT is much like guns in that they both need to be regulated into oblivion. Vote for me, and I will confiscate all BoTs.

Making other people lose the will to live is just another way to win.

YOU CANT TAKE ARE BOT! WE HAVE RITES!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The proper* way to counter blood is to buff the Kindly Ones so that their appearance is an almost guaranteed death sentence and they can't just be killed with Leech. Burden of Time and Armageddon spam hurt everyone, and the latter comes online way, way later than a lot of the Blood things it would like to stop.

*Not necessarily good or smart, but probably really funny, at least to me.

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
Why not just nerf blood? Remove astral corruption, up the cost on send horror and whatever else is too cheap.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

How are u posted:

Sounds like you're against my Godly Freedoms, you are no Panktokrator of mine

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Barono posted:

Why not just nerf blood? Remove astral corruption, up the cost on send horror and whatever else is too cheap.

I used to run a mod that pushed AC to 9, increased the cost to 266 base, pushed Bot to 7, decreased the range on horror sending spells and increased their cost but people preferred vanilla so I stopped using it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I used to run a mod that pushed AC to 9, increased the cost to 266 base, pushed Bot to 7, decreased the range on horror sending spells and increased their cost but people preferred vanilla so I stopped using it.

Increase the cost to 666 base, clearly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

The proper* way to counter blood is to buff the Kindly Ones so that their appearance is an almost guaranteed death sentence and they can't just be killed with Leech. Burden of Time and Armageddon spam hurt everyone, and the latter comes online way, way later than a lot of the Blood things it would like to stop.

*Not necessarily good or smart, but probably really funny, at least to me.

I'm wondering why the devs don't do that. This global is basically some gals attacking only and only blood mages, right? So I see no reason against a massive buff, it's not like the game suddenly becomes unbalanced, considering Astral Corruption is basically a stronger version targeting all mages except blood. And if that global is OK, why not it's mirror?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Libluini posted:

I'm wondering why the devs don't do that. This global is basically some gals attacking only and only blood mages, right? So I see no reason against a massive buff, it's not like the game suddenly becomes unbalanced, considering Astral Corruption is basically a stronger version targeting all mages except blood. And if that global is OK, why not it's mirror?

Because apparently the Dominions 2nd Amendment guarantees player's rights to BoT.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Make the Kindly Ones a natural phenomenon instead of an expensive, endgame, impossible to cast, pile of poo poo. Make them more powerful and also immortal. The more slaves captured per turn the more attacks there are by them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

Because apparently the Dominions 2nd Amendment guarantees player's rights to BoT.

gently caress that, we need more globals summoning crazy girls loving poo poo up

Spells like BoT are boring: They're basically just altering some numbers somewhere. BoT is basically the spell for math nerds. :colbert:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Chomp8645 posted:

The original battle for dominion was caused over BoT.

I think you guys should play a game dedicated to it, the BoT vs anti-BoT.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Libluini posted:

if i remember correctly there's 3 kindly ones and they each attack specific things. one of them goes after priests, maybe? but yeah, it needs a buff.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

There should be better and cheaper options to keep people alive using nature magic imo. Growth 3 BoT is really not that bad though. The rate of death is pretty slow and you have time to research some items or dispel though there are indeed a few nations that are utterly hosed with no recourse like MA Marignon but THEMS THE BREAKS.
If only someone made a mod that was basically Blood Fecundity but at Ench 4/N3 with Nature gems instead of blood slaves called Nurture-w-Nature (the 'w' stands for 'with', btw)

*sigh* shame that'll never happen though

(One of these days I will roll all of this stuff into a modpack alongside painstaking but sweeping balance changes that's going to get like 8 downloads)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

bundle it with a really lovely anime nation mod and watch the downloads skyrocket

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
MA Sonica - Gotta Go Fast

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

So all I'm hearing is I need to plan to BoT more games.

jBrereton posted:

(One of these days I will roll all of this stuff into a modpack alongside painstaking but sweeping balance changes that's going to get like 8 downloads)

I've got the barding costs, gcost for summons, swapped looming and ac, and sunny mod for you to start from.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Wait are you trying to say that the path with the only practical method of making a mage younger - Blood - and the path with one the only practical method of increasing province population - Blood - is countered hard by BoT?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

TheDemon could you add http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734584&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post449858606 to the quotes in the OP? My poor noobies could've really used seeing it before the game started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Etalommi posted:

TheDemon could you add http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3734584&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post449858606 to the quotes in the OP? My poor noobies could've really used seeing it before the game started.

Done. However, it's probably about time someone else maintained the OP, because I haven't been updating it for ages and it's all out of date Dom3 crap right now.

• Locked thread