Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Tollymain posted:

how has he been reincarnated for so long (look at how old and crumbly that armour is) when all of the other prime angels are still doing the building-sized chrysalis thing and show no sign of emerging any time soon

angel armour is incredibly heavy-duty poo poo, and somehow i don't see michael exposing his to a lot of wear and tear? he's been dragging that thing around for a while

i think the only prime angel we saw in the void was metatron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unrelated thought: technology doesn't tend to do very good in the void

but people can carry possessions/personal weapons/clothing without them suffering ill effects? clearly the answer here to preserve weaponized technology in transit is cybernetics and/or powersuits :getin:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AriadneThread posted:

i think the only prime angel we saw in the void was metatron

The primes were the huge feather-wrapped statues we saw.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Tollymain posted:

angel armour is incredibly heavy-duty poo poo, and somehow i don't see michael exposing his to a lot of wear and tear? he's been dragging that thing around for a while

It sounded to me like that damage is from the demiurge war, not from zoss. "Bear the mark of the company's sundering" after all and when zoss first came in there wasn't a compact anyway.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
calling it now: while jagganoth may be the most physically powerful of the seven, mammoth is the most actually powerful because he's financing all of them

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh no i don't think zoss damaged michael's current armour

i just think that michael's armour looks the way it does because it's a) a really old design and b) it's just been around for loving ever nothing escapes the erosion of time not even magical super-strong angel armour

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

he's sort of about twenty stories too short to be in his original Prime getup dude, it's just hosed up old armor

the post-concordance angels have still been around for a long, long time, and most of their gear is in way worse shape than 2 Michael's. 82 White Chain's lookin all shiny and spotless by comparison because she's on her, uh, 82nd set that got totaled

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 26, 2016

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Another story tidbit teased by Operant from the Q&A Tumblr, verifying a vague lore element I've seen and/or repeated occasionally:

quote:

Q

Anonymous asked:

Are there Ebon Devils similar in size and power to the Prime Angels? If so are they revered or looked up to by lesser Devils even weaker ebons similar to how the Angels look up to the Primes?
A

There is a council of 13 that watch the King of Devils to make sure he doesn’t get out of his prison. They take their role very seriously. All major criminal activity through Devil syndicates in throne requires his approval though, so they still let him hold court.

The King of Devils is called Himself, and his seat of power and prison is a black iron coffin lashed with forty chains. Cio and Allison will visit him in the next story arc.

:getin::hf::black101:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

The King of Devils is called Himself

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I thought I saw a link to the Q&A tumblr but I instantly lost it. Can someone post it again?

atomicthumbs posted:

calling it now: while jagganoth may be the most physically powerful of the seven, mammoth is the most actually powerful because he's financing all of them
Presumably Mammoth also has a way to deal with people who attempt to default on their loans, when those people have varying levels up power, up to and including the other six demiurges.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
himself is basically an unmasked (non-masked? never masked) devil who somehow possesses sapience regardless, which is sort of on the same lines as an intelligent self-perpetuating natural disaster with an agenda

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

RoboCicero posted:

I thought I saw a link to the Q&A tumblr but I instantly lost it. Can someone post it again?

http://killsixbilliondemons.tumblr.com/

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Operant is (pleasantly!) surprisingly prolific answering internet rando questions!

quote:

Q: Is it true that once a millennium The Seven set aside their differences to get together and play a good old fashioned game of Dimensions and Demiurges? And that the GM is Zoss and that Jagganoth always minmaxes his characters to a ridiculous extent?

A: Yes, but Gog Agog ends up copying Solomon’s paladin, Mammon takes all the loot, and nobody ends up having fun in the end.

:allears:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RoboCicero posted:

Presumably Mammoth also has a way to deal with people who attempt to default on their loans, when those people have varying levels up power, up to and including the other six demiurges.

mammon isn't powerful because they are rich, they're rich because they're one of the 7 most powerful beings in the universe and that's where they divert their efforts to; if somebody who is not a demiurge was powerful enough to defy mammon's institutions, they're still nowhere near dealing with mammon's bullshit

presumably if one of the other demiurges didn't play by the rules the other six would put pressure on them until they did, whether it involved money or not

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 26, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Tollymain posted:

himself is basically an unmasked (non-masked? never masked) devil who somehow possesses sapience regardless, which is sort of on the same lines as an intelligent self-perpetuating natural disaster with an agenda

There's a book with this premise called Eater (because the disaster is a rogue black hole). It was Okay.

Miles better than any iteration of the silver surfer/galactus stories though.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

At least an intelligent flood only wants to drown things. An unbound devil with a mind actively desires to make the multiverse a worse place, by every definition.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
impossible

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

wiegieman posted:

At least an intelligent flood only wants to drown things. An unbound devil with a mind actively desires to make the multiverse a worse place, by every definition.

Actually I have to wonder at that.

So far the devils we've met have all been widely different personalities and the most of the information we've been given is from sources that are antithesis to devils or were trying to manipulate the situation to their advantage.

It would not surprise me to find that the devils have no plans to upset anything or are actively trying to keep the status quo.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I feel like the devils would have a very "gently caress you, got mine" attitude towards all of the bullshit going on. They don't care, they want their shiny masks and their tall chances of eventually going back to being amorphous clouds of black bile and that's it.

That's hardly a justification for the upcoming Great Demon Holocaust, though :colbert:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Update.

quote:

“The land was gone. I couldn’t believe it. Whole stretches of the earth were all rent up, as though torn by some monstrous beast. Ash covered the land where the orchards had been, and even the air was choked with an oily rain. I grabbed a passing indigent, picking through the filth like a stray dog.
‘What in Hells’ name happened here?’ I asked, aghast.
‘The queen came to take what was owed her,” said the man, looking dazed. His flesh was spare and cracked, like leather. I was suddenly aware of the bones poking up under his skin.
‘Debts? The orchards? The crop? Blast it, man, what did she come for? Why wreak such destruction across the whole land?’
‘No,’ gaped the man, ‘That’s what she came for.’
‘What?’ I said, with sudden realization.
‘Everything,’ said the man. I released him and he stumbled back to picking through the dirt. I covered my face with my scarf. The black rain fell. I didn’t stay long.”
– Payapop Pritrum, Memoirs

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Archenteron posted:

quote:

Q

Anonymous asked:

Are there Ebon Devils similar in size and power to the Prime Angels? If so are they revered or looked up to by lesser Devils even weaker ebons similar to how the Angels look up to the Primes?
A

There is a council of 13 that watch the King of Devils to make sure he doesn’t get out of his prison. They take their role very seriously. All major criminal activity through Devil syndicates in throne requires his approval though, so they still let him hold court.

The King of Devils is called Himself, and his seat of power and prison is a black iron coffin lashed with forty chains. Cio and Allison will visit him in the next story arc.

If I had to make a guess (and I do), I'd say Allison would accidentally free the Devil King and would then open a portal back to Earth where she'd make it run into Mt. Rushmore in a foolish attempt to bind it to the 'masks'. And, of course, it would work.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

No way there isn't some faction of devils up to their own schemes. Wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some kinda plot to figure out how to take forms without masks. Or let devils gift their own.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

If I had to make a guess (and I do), I'd say Allison would accidentally free the Devil King and would then open a portal back to Earth where she'd make it run into Mt. Rushmore in a foolish attempt to bind it to the 'masks'. And, of course, it would work.

Ah yes, the classic tale of the creation of President Teddy Theodore Roosevelt Grizzly Washington Cherry Yellowstone Lincoln Jefferson El Diablo The Third.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

quote:

It is a curious thing, to the unschooled, that the Divinities insist they be remembered as they were when they were young. Surely they would prefer to be seen at the heights of their power, the gods whose sevenfold heel rests on the throat of the universe!

And yet the images they commission are of when their nobility was still freshly won, and they were not yet bent and twisted under all its terrible weight.

I will never get tired of Abaddon's comment moderation style.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TheCIASentMe posted:

Actually I have to wonder at that.

So far the devils we've met have all been widely different personalities and the most of the information we've been given is from sources that are antithesis to devils or were trying to manipulate the situation to their advantage.

It would not surprise me to find that the devils have no plans to upset anything or are actively trying to keep the status quo.

yeah they generally just seem like a lumpen underclass, mostly selfish in a world without bigger causes to believe in, manipulative in a system that explicitly rewards it, resentful of their masters like any self-respecting slave but well aware their bondage beats the alternative; so basically similar to everyone else in the conquered multiverse. I think you're bringing in some D&D poo poo if you're seeing them as fundamentally committed to Universal Evil or something, they'd barely get it up for Universal Sleaze

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 27, 2016

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think it probably wouldn't be surprising if Himself ended up one of the LEAST manipulative, treacherous devils. Devils trick and manipulate in part because that is how they shed their names. They can't just be content to whatever station they've reached either because apparently names eventually grow stale. But Himself has not only reached beyond the top of the ladder, he's also got no need to worry about his name growing stale because he doesn't have one.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah they generally just seem like a lumpen underclass, mostly selfish in a world without bigger causes to believe in, manipulative in a system that explicitly rewards it, resentful of their masters like any self-respecting slave but well aware their bondage beats the alternative; so basically similar to everyone else in the conquered multiverse. I think you're bringing in some D&D poo poo if you're seeing them as fundamentally committed to Universal Evil or something, they'd barely get it up for Universal Sleaze

They're to Humans to what Angels are to Servants. Angels are the epitome of order and hierarchy, Devils are unrestricted emotion and ambition - not always malevolent but easily bent to it, just like the Angels are easily bent to being humourless fascist jerks.

quote:

Q: What would life be like for an average subject within one of Jadis's worlds?
A: The temple of the Eye Revealed, the theocratic order that rules Jadis’ worlds in her stead, is not usually involved in the day-to-day affairs of her worlds, except when it deeply and intimately is. Said involvement usually involves grand Inquisitions to root out unbelievers and witches. They are not merciful.

Jadis: :effort:

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Feb 27, 2016

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

im Lawful Sleaze, myself

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

reignonyourparade posted:

I think it probably wouldn't be surprising if Himself ended up one of the LEAST manipulative, treacherous devils. Devils trick and manipulate in part because that is how they shed their names. They can't just be content to whatever station they've reached either because apparently names eventually grow stale. But Himself has not only reached beyond the top of the ladder, he's also got no need to worry about his name growing stale because he doesn't have one.

Alternatively, Himself is his name and he keeps it fresh by being at least bureaucratically responsible for all the organised crime in throne, which is why he can afford to spend 100% of his time chained inside a box.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a devil's name and mask are bound up in each other. a devil without a mask has no name

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Somehow my eyes slid right past that bit without registering it despite it being His Thing. Whoops!

I'm glad this is a character we're going to meet and not just some abstract background detail.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Where was this thing about Himself being unmasked?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I thought unmasked devils were mindless fragments of chaotic life.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

Q:Anonymous said
Do Angels have a say in the aesthetics of their bodies when they are formed?

A: Not particularly, nor do they particularly mind, just that their form is able and intimidating.

Makes sense, but interesting nonetheless. I really hope we can see an angel (probably White Chain) being bound to their body soon.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Unbound isn't necessarily the same as unmasked. There's been nothing really clear said about it and like with the color castes Operant's probably still working it out, but I sorta read it as that unmasked and unnamed demons are mindless formless raw power, their masking/binding is a deal where they get individuality and a mind in exchange for servitude and heavy limits placed on the ways they can use his power, and Himself has managed to extricate himself from all the debts, conditions, and limitations imposed by his binding while retaining the intellect, resulting in a terrifying monster with the ability to pursue a real plan and leverage his power effectively.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 28, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't remember where i read it but i'm pretty sure it's been stated somewhere that Himself has never been bound, never was. other than in the sense that they shoved him into a giant coffin i guess.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Has it been revealed who owns Allison's earth?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

snucks posted:

Has it been revealed who owns Allison's earth?

No one. The Second Conquest was not finished, Allison's Earth is in one of the unconquered universes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
All universes are owned by one of the seven, because they split all of the keys, they just haven't gotten around to plundering them yet.

Allison's universe is owned by Mottom, probably, based on Jagganoth's line in the second last panel here.

This doesn't have to be the case: it could be that Allison's Earth's gate is unlocked, and by chance nobody has gone through it. That seems unlikely to me though, so the only way Mottom's Thorn Knights would have been able to get in is if she let them in, which would require her to have that world's key, which would mean she owns it (even if she has never been bothered to go there before).

e/ gently caress probably, it's definitely Mottom. That's the whole reason we're sneaking into her hedonistic death fortress right now.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 29, 2016