Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
A lot of the commentaries seem to speak highly of her, I don't think she was being a bitch*. Like others have said, I think she was genuinely uninterested in rehashing the series but the studios offered so much scratch she couldn't say no. She did often bring up her own ideas for the franchise, but the big difference was early on she didn't have the pull to influence production.

About the closest I remember is a hilarious segment where James Cameron talks about Sigourney coming to him in confidence and asking if it was necessary for Ripley to have a gun in the third act, as she was very uncomfortable with the idea. He took her out to a range with one of the Thompsons they used as pulse rifle props and had her blast a magazine downrange. She wildly unloaded the subgun, turned towards him wide-eyed and said "that was fun."

*Then again, there's a chance that she may have been and Fox simply said "we don't care, no badmouthing the star of the franchise in the commentary."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Weaver is only a bitch if you genuinely like the Alien Vs Predator movies. She cares deeply about the franchise and the character, and hates seeing it reduced to boring schlock. She didn't want to do a sequel to Alien because no one got Ripley right. She talks about how everyone wrote her as a "drill sergeant, barking orders", and as a badass. She talked to Cameron, and Cameron was someone who got her, as far as Weaver was concerned. Hence Aliens.

Alien 3 really was Weaver trying to end the series to move on. She didn't want to do Aliens again, hence the prison, the one alien, and the deaths of Hicks and Newt.

Years later, Fox wanted to do Alien Vs. Predator. Weaver caught wind of this and said "gently caress that." That's pretty much why she agreed to do Resurrection. She wanted to stop AvP from being a thing.

The downside is, Resurrection kinda sucked, and the AvP films were still made. So it was a lose/lose.

I think she does know this, and that's why she wanted to do that Aliens rehash thing with Blomkamp. She wanted to give Ripley another chance. And that's fine. But reading what they were planning on doing with it (passing the torch to Newt, erasing Alien 3), I'm super glad that was put on the back burner.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

I think she does know this, and that's why she wanted to do that Aliens rehash thing with Blomkamp. She wanted to give Ripley another chance. And that's fine. But reading what they were planning on doing with it (passing the torch to Newt, erasing Alien 3), I'm super glad that was put on the back burner.

If they want to make more straight-up Alien movies, this is probably the best way to do it, though? 3 isn't a bad movie, but it's a very final one, and you pretty much have to either retcon it or think way outside the box to make more sequels (and the latter approach hasn't worked out great for Fox).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alternately, don't make more Alien movies with Ripley.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, this. I mean, sure, in Alien 3 it's basically final in that all the aliens are dead. But ignore that and say "Oh look, we found aliens on another planet! Oh my!" or maybe an Alien ran off before Hadley's Hope exploded and is just chillin on LV-426. The how you get the alien back isn't important. What is, is the new imagery and themes you can try and create with new stories and characters.

It doesn't have to be Aliens fighting Marines and Power-Loaders.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

Well, yeah, but it's significantly easier to get a new protagonist over by having the old one pass the torch than not. Alien movies without Ripley would be the end goal here.

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, this. I mean, sure, in Alien 3 it's basically final in that all the aliens are dead. But ignore that and say "Oh look, we found aliens on another planet! Oh my!" or maybe an Alien ran off before Hadley's Hope exploded and is just chillin on LV-426. The how you get the alien back isn't important. What is, is the new imagery and themes you can try and create with new stories and characters.

It doesn't have to be Aliens fighting Marines and Power-Loaders.

I meant final more in the sense that everyone we know (except maybe Bishop? I don't remember offhand) is very, very dead by the end of Alien 3. It not only closes the book, but loving slams it shut.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only character that should carry the Alien franchise is the actual Alien. I think, at this point anyway.

Ripley is the best character of all time, but she's dead.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Did Ripley's daughter survive Isolation? It was too spooky to finish but she was cool.

Also the Alien "franchise" spans literally the whole universe. They could make it about anything and anyone as long as there's an alien (or burly naked blue gentleman) in there.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Basebf555 posted:

It's hard to tell because nobody that I've seen has really openly talked poo poo about her, but they also don't try to hide the fact that she was demanding shitloads of money for every sequel.
(...)

You also have to take into account that for every sequel she does as Ripley, she becomes more synonymous with that character and people are less likely to buy into her being another person in another movie, and not Ripley in a court drama. It's the James Bond curse. Going into situations like that might take some convincing (alien sex) if the movie looks kind of mediocre.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Steve2911 posted:

Did Ripley's daughter survive Isolation? It was too spooky to finish but she was cool.
The game ends on a cliffhanger.

No, seriously.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
How about we just stop making Alien movies entirely?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I've always wondered what the Aliens movie timeline looks like from Ripleys point of view.

Bad poo poo happens in Aliens for a couple of days -> work on the space station for maybe a couple of weeks -> poo poo goes bad on LV426 for two or three days -> prison incidents for a few days -> wake up as a clone, gain consciousness and defeat aliens, land on earth.

The whole saga, from they receive the distress signal in Alien until they land on earth in Resurrection is over for Ripley in just a few weeks of being awake. The rest is spent in stasis sleep or being dead.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xenomrph posted:

The game ends on a cliffhanger.

No, seriously.

It's... not a cliffhanger, though? We know where Amanda ends up.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Well, not to get too Colonial Marines with it but we know Burke, a known liar and Machiavellian corporate executive, told her she died of cancer at a ripe old age. You find out midway through the game that WY bought Sevastopol as soon as they found out the ship with the Nostromo recorder and Alien had gone there. They could very well have hushed the whole thing up and Burke shows Ripley a picture of an old woman with a resemblance to Amanda to get her to not dig into it.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Make a movie based on Alien: Labyrinth. That'd be fun.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

LORD OF BUTT posted:

We never see Amanda in the theatrical version though, i.e. the good version

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

the ideal version of Aliens of course includes the daughter backstory and the part where Hicks and Ripley exchange first names but ditches the turret scenes and the pre-alien-attack colony scenes.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Nah, keep the turret scenes. That poo poo was tight.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

evobatman posted:

The whole saga, from they receive the distress signal in Alien until they land on earth in Resurrection is over for Ripley in just a few weeks of being awake. The rest is spent in stasis sleep or being dead.

On one of the commentaries/features they mention that this is why Resurrection specifically ends with her actually finally honest to God arriving on Earth after so many years.

I did prefer the theatrical version though where you don't see them sitting around in future Paris chatting. The score and window shot of the clouds is more effective to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lady Naga posted:

How about we just stop making Alien movies entirely?

My fantasy version of these kind of franchises usually involves something like an anthology format. I think it would have been great if Scott had continued making an Alien movie every few years, but more as an anthology series where each time humans encounter an unknown alien species and the poo poo that happens because of it. The alien wouldn't have to act like a slasher villain every time, there's plenty of room for variety in the storytelling there.

I feel the same way about most of the horror franchises. Every new sequel for Friday the 13th and Halloween should have been a new story.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I'm fine without any new Alien movies, but I think I would enjoy a Prometheus sequel.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Nah, keep the turret scenes. That poo poo was tight.

I used to like em but they're kind of unnecessary, and the big problem of the extended cut is its flab so anything that can streamline it is for the best.

cutting the Ripley's Daughter scenes was a bad call, it was a bad call.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

cutting the Ripley's Daughter scenes was a bad call, it was a bad call.

Yea, I'll never understand how that was cut. That one short scene gives the audience a foothold for the themes of the entire rest of the movie.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Yea, I'll never understand how that was cut. That one short scene gives the audience a foothold for the themes of the entire rest of the movie.

I can somewhat understand it. It's kind of gilding the lily. The themes of the film come through even without that. Ripley adopting Newt as a daughter works the same. In the theatrical version she is adopting someone who has gone through similar trauma to her. In the cut she's replacing her daughter to some degree. Both have their sympathetic elements and neither contradicts the themes.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

I can somewhat understand it. It's kind of gilding the lily.

While I don't agree, I can at least understand that. If the scene was cut just so that the runtime would be 3 minutes less, that I don't understand.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sue posted:

I'm fine without any new Alien movies, but I think I would enjoy a Prometheus sequel.

I'm pretty hyped for Alien Covenant.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Even if Burke is being 100% honest and Amanda did die peacefully of old age, the game ends with Amanda drifting in space after ejecting herself out an airlock, seemingly about to be rescued by an unknown party. Even if she gets rescued by friendly people, there's a bit of a disconnect between "risking death to find out what happened to her mother, doesn't get many answers" and "dying peacefully of old age".

anatomi posted:

Make a movie based on Alien: Labyrinth. That'd be fun.
I strongly second this.

ruddiger posted:

I'm pretty hyped for Alien Covenant.
Oh hey we agree on something. :v:

I'm really looking forward to more David being David, although I wish Noomi Rapace was sticking around. I hope the sequel handles her departure well and doesn't just Poochie it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 26, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

I'm really looking forward to more David being David, although I wish Noomi Rapace was sticking around. I hope the sequel handles her departure well and doesn't just Poochie it.

Easy solution would be to just have the trip take like 1000 years, and when they finally get there Shaw has already starved to death and is a frozen corpsicle. David can just be plugged back in.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ripley finds David's deactivated body while digging thru wreckage in the prison scrapyard looking for Bishop, says "lol", tosses him aside

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

evobatman posted:

I've always wondered what the Aliens movie timeline looks like from Ripleys point of view.

Bad poo poo happens in Aliens for a couple of days -> work on the space station for maybe a couple of weeks -> poo poo goes bad on LV426 for two or three days -> prison incidents for a few days -> wake up as a clone, gain consciousness and defeat aliens, land on earth.

Haha, I always think of this when watching Alien 3 and she says to the alien something like "you've been in my life for so long I can't remember anything else" which I felt was obviously written from more the audience's perspective - it's been years for us, but for Ripley?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Isn't there also a line referring to Ripley having a nightmare in hypersleep? I think she mentions it as an excuse for Newt's autopsy, but going by Clemens' reaction something like that isn't impossible in the Alien universe. So maybe being conscious on some level while in hypersleep is a thing and all Ripley has been dreaming about since Nostromo is aliens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Stare-Out posted:

Isn't there also a line referring to Ripley having a nightmare in hypersleep? I think she mentions it as an excuse for Newt's autopsy, but going by Clemens' reaction something like that isn't impossible in the Alien universe.

Surely this is the case since we know from Prometheus that the technology exists for people to plug into and view and even have some limited interaction with people's dreams even while they are in hyper sleep. I never took going into hyper sleep to mean the person's entire brain shuts down.

From Alien to Aliens, 57 years is a long time of alien nightmare.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

At the end of Aliens, Newt even asks if she can dream. Also now that I think about it, the novelizations for the first three movies all talk about people (and sometimes cats) dreaming in hypersleep.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

My understanding was that Weaver wasn't really interested at all in Aliens because of hardcore gun-toting Ripley. Cameron explained it in terms of the motherhood angle, she's lost her own child, Newt becomes a surrogate daughter, and she literally goes to hell to save her new child. Once she saw it from this point of view, she was all-in.

Then when she sees the finished film for the first time, she's furious because Cameron has completely cut the scene mentioning her daughter. I imagine it took her a long time to get over that.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lizardman posted:

Haha, I always think of this when watching Alien 3 and she says to the alien something like "you've been in my life for so long I can't remember anything else" which I felt was obviously written from more the audience's perspective - it's been years for us, but for Ripley?

Yeah but she has had no downtime from the aliens. She wakes up and there's movie aliens. And then she dies and then reborn and more aliens show up!

She has nothing but aliens and Clements to deal with.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrMojok posted:

Then when she sees the finished film for the first time, she's furious because Cameron has completely cut the scene mentioning her daughter. I imagine it took her a long time to get over that.

She worked with him again for Avatar so I guess she eventually got over it.

There are certainly a few big name actors that would never work with Cameron again though. He almost drowned Ed Harris and made Kate Winslet sit in freezing cold water for like 3 days.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Basebf555 posted:

She worked with him again for Avatar so I guess she eventually got over it.

There are certainly a few big name actors that would never work with Cameron again though. He almost drowned Ed Harris and made Kate Winslet sit in freezing cold water for like 3 days.

Of course, the actor with the biggest bone to pick with Cameron is almost certainly Linda Hamilton, who he dumped 9 months into their marriage for a chick he met while filming Titanic.

This is sort of related to why I don't think Weaver was difficult on the set (at least for the Alien movies). When the crew talks of Cameron, they don't necessarily badmouth him, but you get a sense that after every sentence like "oh, he's such a genius, visionary director, etc." there's an unspoken "...but goddamn was he an rear end in a top hat." I never picked up anything similar in regards to Weaver.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

lizardman posted:

This is sort of related to why I don't think Weaver was difficult on the set (at least for the Alien movies). When the crew talks of Cameron, they don't necessarily badmouth him, but you get a sense that after every sentence like "oh, he's such a genius, visionary director, etc." there's an unspoken "...but goddamn was he an rear end in a top hat." I never picked up anything similar in regards to Weaver.

No matter how primadonna Weaver was on the set, I don't think that it will compare to the craziness which was 80's/90's James Cameron.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

No matter how primadonna Weaver was on the set, I don't think that it will compare to the craziness which was 80's/90's James Cameron.

The best part is that Cameron can barely stop being rear end in a top hat when he knows there's a camera on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oldpainless posted:

I remember when Animated Menus was listed as a selling point and you were lucky to get that!

The true test of a DVD, is how long could you leave it looping the menu before you got annoyed of the sound.

I would leave some on for hours too lazy to change the movie.

CelticPredator posted:

Alien 3 really was Weaver trying to end the series to move on. She didn't want to do Aliens again, hence the prison, the one alien, and the deaths of Hicks and Newt.

Alien 3 was because Fox was to cheap to buy a good script.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 27, 2016